Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

petewhitley posted:

The reasons you don't like the random nature of the game make sense, but you've got multiple people in this very thread saying they enjoy that same randomness. It's not lovely or objectively worse than other systems. It just ain't your thang.

I think it helps mix things up for people like me who will always take the path of least resistance (or at least retake the path we know works).
It's a neat challenge being forced to play at least a little differently and I think helps squeeze a little more life out of the game.
I do like the sound of one character getting skills in a different order from another.
Do we know if there's going to be other IAP added for WHQ? I really want some chaos or undead action going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: Rebirth of Fortune 2 is currently free, was mentioned earlier in thread

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

duckfarts posted:

FYI: Rebirth of Fortune 2 is currently free, was mentioned earlier in thread

Cool, thanks. I got the original for free some years ago, figured it was only a matter of time until this one went free too.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I'm kind of in love with this Love Live! High School Festival game. It's like Idolmaster, but you have like 9 girls on your team, like Morning Musume or some poo poo.

Anyway when you complete a song, depending on how you did, you get more girls who join your roster. Instead of like training them to be better with minigames like in Idolmaster, you feed the girls to other girls. It's like Puzzles and Dragons in that way. I don't know if they're actually killing each other or not, all I know is you have two girls and then one is gone and the other gets XP and level ups.

The gameplay is pretty simple rhythm gameplay stuff, but a lot like PAD it has a rare girl random-drop machine and a stamina limit to how many songs you can play in a day etc. And you add friends as support when you do songs and they add onto your friends list. These metrics all increase as you rank up.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't know what you're talking about exactly but that post kinda creeps me out.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

After deciding on TWEWY over KOTOR the other day, I changed my mind and picked up KOTOR instead and I couldn't be happier. I feel like the controls are perfectly suited for a touch screen, and can't even complain much about the invisible virtual joystick. I am having so much fun running around being a complete rear end to everybody I talk to. The fact that I can play one handed in my recliner while rocking my newborn to sleep makes it even better. I know one more recommendation doesn't mean much for a game that is already loved by practically everybody, but I do recommend it if you are interested in the slightest.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Arcaeris posted:

I'm kind of in love with this Love Live! High School Festival game. It's like Idolmaster, but you have like 9 girls on your team, like Morning Musume or some poo poo.

Anyway when you complete a song, depending on how you did, you get more girls who join your roster. Instead of like training them to be better with minigames like in Idolmaster, you feed the girls to other girls. It's like Puzzles and Dragons in that way. I don't know if they're actually killing each other or not, all I know is you have two girls and then one is gone and the other gets XP and level ups.

The gameplay is pretty simple rhythm gameplay stuff, but a lot like PAD it has a rare girl random-drop machine and a stamina limit to how many songs you can play in a day etc. And you add friends as support when you do songs and they add onto your friends list. These metrics all increase as you rank up.

I'm kind of scared of this game? but also oddly intrigued. Not enough to, you know, actually play it, but I'd read an awful anime review of it, or something

Bummey fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 5, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Arcaeris posted:

What the actual gently caress?

Why would you pl- well, no, how about why does this exist?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/raburaibu!-sukuruaidorufesutibaru/id626776655?l=en

Huh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If only entire posts could be thread titles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That graphics update for Final Fantasy Tactics is finally out. No iPhone 5 support though. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If only entire posts could be thread titles.
He'll have a real shiny one in about a half hour. It captures the essence, I think.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That graphics update for Final Fantasy Tactics is finally out. No iPhone 5 support though. :(

It adds iCloud support and they dropped the price to $7.99 too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stormfang1502 posted:

It adds iCloud support and they dropped the price to $7.99 too.

$8.99 for the iPad version oh dear might need to grab it for when I'm done with KOTOR.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

SeANMcBAY posted:

That reminds me. The trailer for Final Fantasy Tactics: S is out, and it looks like it's exactly what the fans were clamoring for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-tVQ5EHjO0&t=47s

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arcaeris posted:

Looks like a great game!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PFlats posted:

That reminds me. The trailer for Final Fantasy Tactics: S is out, and it looks like it's exactly what the fans were clamoring for!

What even is this poo poo? Why can't they just bring FFTA to iOS and make a lot of money? I love the poo poo out of FFTA and hearing that music and seeing those graphics and that... gameplay really let me down.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

PFlats posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like they took away and and all character movement and went with an isometric view of the standard FF battle? :psyduck: Why take the tactics out of FFT?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

chami posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like they took away and and all character movement and went with an isometric view of the standard FF battle? :psyduck: Why take the tactics out of FFT?

That's exactly what it looks like. Seriously done with Square Enix. gently caress them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bummey posted:

What even is this poo poo? Why can't they just bring FFTA to iOS and make a lot of money? I love the poo poo out of FFTA and hearing that music and seeing those graphics and that... gameplay really let me down.

FFTA was pretty awful and so was FFTA2 but bother are probably much better than that poo poo.

i wonder if they did that same thing where you have all the depth of the job system heavily ripped to shreds becuase numerous jobs are split between races so the tree is like two classes deep.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

FFTA was pretty awful and so was FFTA2 but bother are probably much better than that poo poo.

i wonder if they did that same thing where you have all the depth of the job system heavily ripped to shreds becuase numerous jobs are split between races so the tree is like two classes deep.

You shut your stupid face holes. They were really dumbed down games for babbies but they were in no way "pretty awful."

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

System requirements: neckbeard

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I sometimes wonder if Square has lost their minds or if we were all just collectively brain-damaged for a few year span and they've always been sort of terrible but managed to shat out Final Fantasy Tactics during that period through sheer luck.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Bummey posted:

You shut your stupid face holes. They were really dumbed down games for babbies but they were in no way "pretty awful."

Well, let's say they didn't involve much tactics either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a lot of tactics in getting Montblanc murdered in a jagd.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I sometimes wonder if Square has lost their minds or if we were all just collectively brain-damaged for a few year span and they've always been sort of terrible but managed to shat out Final Fantasy Tactics during that period through sheer luck.

Nah square hasn't gone crazy they have just completely given up in the American and European markets. Looking at their best selling games it seems that Japan buys over 50% of their products. Japanese seem to love super linear game (ff13) with long tutorials (kingdom hearts) and f2p games (puzzle dragon).

The world ends with you and final fantasy tactics were some sort of fluke.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

webmeister posted:

Looks like a great game!

It's an awesome game. I love anime. Anime is better than death metal or American RPGs. Even your psyduck is an anime. Checkmate.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Apparently the FFT update doesn't just have updated graphics, but also fixes the slowdown issues. If that's true I might just buy it twice, since it's also half-off this week. :ohdear:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man there are a lot of proper ports on iOS now, People talking about XCOM and KOTOR and TWEWY and updated FF:Tactics.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I watched the trailer for PvZ2 and it was incredible. I want this game to be good and I want to believe so badly that the IAP and freemium model won't be evil... but... EA :ohdear:

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

webmeister posted:

Looks like a great game!

If you like Idolmaster type games, it's fairly similar. The whole "produce a group of girls from beginners to superstars" genre isn't new. There's whole Japanese dramas about it, even.

I'm surprised at how much it's like PAD. There's level ups and skill ups, which you improve by sacrificing girls to other girls, a rare "egg" machine, friends lists, friends points that you get in the same way as PAD and can redeem in a friend machine, a stamina bar for doing things, etc.

The main differences are there's a story about girls in a high school (that's not creepy, they just want to like sing at the festival - so far), and instead of Bejeweled/Pokemon dungeons you have rhythm game songs.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

a story about girls in a high school (that's not creepy

Oh.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

chami posted:

Actually it kinda reminds me of Ogre Battle, so it could be pretty cool, except it won't be, because Squenix.

e: also please tell us more about your schoolgirl cannibal sim Arcaeris we are all so very interested

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Arcaeris posted:

The main differences are there's a story about girls in a high school (that's not creepy

Aside from them wearing garter belts for some reason, sure. I don't know, let's look for some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs-P0sxpZiE

Well, I guess it doesn't look all that much pedo-creepy, but that definitely broke something in my brain.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Shwqa posted:

Japanese seem to love super linear game (ff13) with long tutorials (kingdom hearts) and f2p games (puzzle dragon).
Have you seem the US and UK Top Grossing charts? It's not just Japan.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Welp, I had a bout of temporary insanity and bought an iPad 4. I play a whole host of stuff on my iPhone but haven't really looked into iPad-only apps - what would people suggest I grab? I'll also accept recommendations for iPhone games that become twice as good on an iPad I guess.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Didn't someone have some new spoilery advice along the lines of if you're going to play FFT you should get auto potion on the main character in chapter some thing by doing something to save yourself a world of hurt?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

allsizesfitone posted:

This is the best game. Thank you so much for finding it.

Yeah, seconding this. There's no way I would have found it on my own.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Welp, I had a bout of temporary insanity and bought an iPad 4. I play a whole host of stuff on my iPhone but haven't really looked into iPad-only apps - what would people suggest I grab? I'll also accept recommendations for iPhone games that become twice as good on an iPad I guess.

Battle Academy.
Battle of the Bulge.

I'll shill these games until the day I die. Battle Academy in particular is the reason you bought an iPad. It's a tabletop wargame brought to life. You're going to look at the twenty dollar price tag and think I'm crazy. Then you're going to buy it. Then you're going to fall in love with it. Then you're going to never uninstall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Arcaeris posted:

Anyway when you complete a song, depending on how you did, you get more girls who join your roster. Instead of like training them to be better with minigames like in Idolmaster, you feed the girls to other girls.
:black101: :black101: :black101:
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
:unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Will the iPhone version of FFTactics run on iPads? They state that "it may not work correctly", but does that mean that they restricted it or that it's in the 1x/2x mode?

• Locked thread