Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Victor posted:

That's not a fair comparison: the Naze32 doesn't come with a XBee, nor a hardware debugger.

Neither does your board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Neither does your board.
You are absolutely correct. More features—or even built-in support for more features—cost more money. Furthermore, early R&D with production quantities around 50, which is what Kickstarter is oriented toward, costs more than a commercial product that may well have sold thousands of units.

It sounds like you're happy without datalogging or wireless telemetry, in which case AshimaCore is most definitely not for you. Maybe you're a fantastic pilot who never experiments with software. I can say with personal experience that a single crash can cost over $100; not knowing exactly why the crash happened can be painful, at least for some folks. Most other options out there that provide a XBee socket and microSD card cost more than $129, in case you didn't know. Feel free to rag on us for trying to enter a lower-cost option into the market.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I went for my first twilight FPV flight on Friday night trying timelapse photos with the gopro.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a brushless gimbal so hopefully I should be able to get some nice smooth video soon.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Getting a go pro. Crash videos incoming.

ease fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 22, 2013

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just got a new motor and the smallpartscnc bixler 2 mount so I can run a 9x6e.

Now to wait for the rest of the parts I need to arrive from the international hobbyking warehouse. :negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I swear customs takes boxes and stacks them up into numbers of piles as high as they can. Then once a pile collapses they decide to examine those boxes and send them through. I've had one sit in there for 20 days.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ease posted:

I swear customs takes boxes and stacks them up into numbers of piles as high as they can. Then once a pile collapses they decide to examine those boxes and send them through. I've had one sit in there for 20 days.

I've watched US Customs check inbound air freight boxes with a four foot steel rod. Jam it through one side, make sure it comes out the other, and check to see if it has cocaine on the end. :v:

I'm sure they treat delicate electronics and such with a great deal more care.

No, they probably don't.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

helno posted:

Remember this? It now exists.

Remember this it is now on rev 3.

G10 main frame and vibration damper for the camera mount.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Black G10 looks rad.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I like that G10 has a weave about 10 times tighter than CF.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Has anyone here played with or heard about PID auto-tuning for quads? Our kickstarter just got fully funded and I was thinking of having that be a stretch goal. I dunno to what extent people would be interested in such a feature. We'd open-source it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Continuous autotuning would be awesome.

Quads seem to behave poorly when moving at high speeds or in ground effect because of the fixed tuning values.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I love this feeling: the feeling you get when you get back from the hobbyshop, or you get a package in the mail, you've got your spare parts and all your toys are fixed. Everything works. Nothing is broken. I wonder how long this will last :allears:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I just purchased an Extra 330L ARF kit and am trying to get the basics down. I've flown RTF helicopters before but I'm a bit lost when it comes to pairing motors to planes.
The wingspan is 40" so albeit it's not huge, it's quite large and I'd like to ensure that I'll be able to take off or hopefully not stall midflight and crash.

I know that lower KVs mean more torque and higher KVs mean more rpms per voltage and higher top speed but don't know which application is best for me; anyone have any tips of pointers of where to look for such tutorials? I've been reading over a few sites which are good for understanding the fundamental terminology and approach but because of the fact that there's so many various applications, I'm still confused as to what the best electronics for me would be. Not looking for a record setter, especially for my initial foray into rc planes, but wouldn't mind something that I can grow into.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
My first semi real FPV video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNaYiLVIpvk

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!
Got sent this kickstarter for a RC car/quad hybrid by a friend.

I haven't put money on it yet, but it looked like a neat execution of a fun idea.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

snail posted:

Got sent this kickstarter for a RC car/quad hybrid by a friend.

I haven't put money on it yet, but it looked like a neat execution of a fun idea.

I probably won't put any money on it but that is pretty freakin' cool.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Quadcopter flown by PS3 controller, first running via laptop then via Raspberry Pi, all over WiFi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6YfxidsxGs
While we're kickstarting the flight control board and "almost ready to fly" quadcopters, we've open-sourced the code which reads in from the PS3 controller and sends it to the XBee on the quad, in the same format that comes from Spektrum-compatible satellite receivers. (115200 baud serial data—no more decoding PWM!) That link is to our fork of AQ32Plus, which is the STM32F4-only version of the popular AeroQuad software (AQ forum thread). Any pledges will help us contribute to AQ32Plus (all open source). It feels pretty good to get paid to do OSS development but unfortunately not very many people think so and thus I'm probably going to have to switch to a different, funded project. :-/ Maybe techno music on our KS videos was the thing we missed.

P.S. The PS3 game controller is surprisingly decent once you get used to it, although the throttle not having detents is a bit annoying. If we do height hold, though, it'll be really nice: keep at neutral to stay at your current height, and push in the direction you want to go otherwise.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
This is a GoPro on a FunCub. I have a quad but I haven't started strapping expensive stuff to it yet because the board is kind of glitchy and I want to switch to something more reliable.

It was really windy - 20 mph gusts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbf41Mpm9yg

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Wow, the v911 copter is far better outdoors in the wind than I imagined it would be. Fighting the wind isn't the most fun way to fly, but it can be done.

after a couple flights I got to work replacing the weighted fly bar with a paddle fly bar. It took some work, but I got it moving freely enough to get rid of most of the toilet bowl effect.

I also manually trimmed the servos, although it seems like I need to trim it further forward, but the servo arm is already screwed in as far as it will go.

Its also been ah, fairly crash resistant. No damage so far but I've kept most crashes semi controlled/gentle.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Is there a parts list somewhere if I just want to build a quad copter without researching motor brands and propeller sizes and whatnot? I'd basically like to build something to slap my gopro on and dick around with. My budget is fairly high, but I know better than to, say, buy something for $800 that I could build in an afternoon for $200. I can solder and assemble, but I'd prefer not to spend more than say 8 hours putting it together. Is that realistic?

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Erwin posted:

Is there a parts list somewhere if I just want to build a quad copter without researching motor brands and propeller sizes and whatnot? I'd basically like to build something to slap my gopro on and dick around with. My budget is fairly high, but I know better than to, say, buy something for $800 that I could build in an afternoon for $200. I can solder and assemble, but I'd prefer not to spend more than say 8 hours putting it together. Is that realistic?

Does this help?

http://shop.flitetest.com/multirotors/anycopter-quad-370-kit/

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I ran into a bit of a problem. Was flying the v911 into the kitchen, when it suddenly lost all throttle and dropped from the sky, ejecting the battery in the process.

I put the battery back in, but the radio commands where very intermittent and jerky/delayed. This makes it completely unflyable. I thought maybe it was radio interference, and moved elsewhere, but it still had the same issue. I've tried rebinding it several times and it is very hit or miss if it does, and still has the response issues.

My best guess, is the little antennae wire was just put on flat across the pad, and not actually through the hole. I'm wondering if it has a bad connection and is severely limiting the reception.

Any thoughts?

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
We're you not logging everything to uSD card or something like that?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Victor posted:

We're you not logging everything to uSD card or something like that?

If that is directed to me, no. I'm just using the stock cheap transmitter than came with it. I tried re-soldering the antennae, but it hasn't fixed the issue.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
:-( I'm not blaming you, I'm just lamenting the fact that a log of all the flight info would make troubleshooting your problem immensely easier. Almost nobody seems to do this (and I mean logging things down to PID iTerms) and I just can't understand why. Soooooo many hours are wasted surmising, which could be saved by $20... or less. </rant>

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
well, I know what went wrong, its why thats the issue. And trouble shooting 2.4ghz communication circuits is a bit beyond my skills.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Erwin posted:

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2013/01/the-tricopter-v2-6hv-delux/

This would be a great start.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Golluk posted:

well, I know what went wrong, its why thats the issue. And trouble shooting 2.4ghz communication circuits is a bit beyond my skills.
I can think of reasons that aren't the 2.4ghz communication. However, they're just surmises.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Bit more searching and it sounds like it may be the 16Mhz crystal. It would kinda explain the pulse and short duration work when the signals line up, then stop as it goes out of synch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just installed a new motor and bigger prop in the bixler 2, used the smallpartscnc aluminum motor mount, balances perfectly with a 4000ma 4s battery.

Maiden when the wind dies down. :getin:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Vitamin J posted:

No pan/tilt on that plane, just a 2.8mm lens for a bit wider angle.

Wings are popular out here because of nonstop winds and mountain turbulence. They are difficult to launch, though.

I built a wing a while back because we have pretty unruly winds. Launching the drat thing is a nightmare. It doesn't help that it was a scratchbuild, so I'm still working out the kinks too. I think I'm going to build one of those bungee-ramp launching systems and just be done with it. :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Victor posted:

:-( I'm not blaming you, I'm just lamenting the fact that a log of all the flight info would make troubleshooting your problem immensely easier. Almost nobody seems to do this (and I mean logging things down to PID iTerms) and I just can't understand why. Soooooo many hours are wasted surmising, which could be saved by $20... or less. </rant>

This is really dumb considering it is a toy grade helicopter and is $20 to begin with on banggood. Just get a new one all together or craigslist a new controller. If you're flying a thousand dollar quad or airplane, find poo poo to log your flight data. If you're flying a $20 toy grade heli, don't.

*I have 2 V911's-- it is the best toy grade heli. Its just not worth crunching numbers over.

Victor posted:

Almost nobody seems to do this
I wonder why

Victor posted:

I just can't understand why.

HMMMM :goonsay:

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

This is really dumb considering it is a toy grade helicopter and is $20 to begin with on banggood.
You are absolutely correct. Perhaps you will see why I went a little tunnel vision: I've been working 14+ hour days on a quadcopter Kickstarter for almost three weeks straight. The flight board for it is $99 in any sizeable quantity so I think you're an order of a magnitude off. But yes, not worth it for a $20 toy. I sincerely apologize for not realizing that. I get to take a few days off soon; hopefully I can become less of a retard.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Victor posted:

You are absolutely correct. Perhaps you will see why I went a little tunnel vision: I've been working 14+ hour days on a quadcopter Kickstarter for almost three weeks straight. The flight board for it is $99 in any sizeable quantity so I think you're an order of a magnitude off. But yes, not worth it for a $20 toy. I sincerely apologize for not realizing that. I get to take a few days off soon; hopefully I can become less of a retard.

Yeah I guess if I had to specify when I was doing flight logging, it'd be when I was doing my own quad/plane/heli since you're kinda going into uncharted waters. Sorry for my tunnel vision (and rear end in a top hat-ishness), it was late last night

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
If it makes you feel better, once I get a bixler II going I will be having all sorts of logging.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Heh. I've just spent wasted so much time dealing with incomplete/no logging that I wouldn't wish it on anyone. One thing I have yet to find out is whether uSD cards may always block for up to 1/4 or 1/2 second. This limits your max write rate to your available SRAM. I don't know whether using the 4-bit SDIO interface helps; I kinda doubt it, but there's a lot about embedded systems and protocols that is quirky.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Speaking of SD cards, how true is it that they all can pause (stop accepting data) for up to 500-600ms, at any time? I found that to be the case with the uSD card I used with OpenLog, which combined with the 2-4K of SRAM on that chip, hugely limited the rate I could dump telemetry into the card. STM32F4's have a lot more memory so that won't be as much of an issue, but they also don't have infinite amounts of memory.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

I think that is to do with the speed classification of the card?

I had a C4 in my Keychain camera, and that produced a choppy video. Replaced with a C8 or 10 and was much smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks, never got back to this. Seems like a good start but makes it sound a little more daunting than I thought. Also, it's a tricopter. Seems like a quadcopter might be less complicated? (More parts but no yaw control?)