Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

A Winner is Jew posted:

If Hilary runs you could also have a scenario of the next three presidents being democrats just based upon the way demographics are shaping up right now.

Obama, Clinton, Booker, Castro has a nice ring to it. :getin:
The thread's new high bar for electoral hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SombreroAgnew posted:

The thread's new high bar for electoral hubris.

Honestly, if we put forward a candidate who tried to run the Southern strategy in 2008 in a Democratic primary, we deserve what we get.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Allen West is planning a run as well! The 2016 Republican primaries can't start soon enough!

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 5, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Oh boy! The 2016 Republican primaries can't start soon enough!

The presidency...of the United States?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Allen West is insane, but he's the smart kind of insane, like Ted Cruz, not the ridiculous kind of insane, like Michele Bachmann. I don't think he can win the primary, but his candidacy would suck up a lot of the enthusiasm from the Tea Party crowd that other candidates are banking on for support and if he made it through Iowa he'd want to stick around until at least Florida. He'd also, in combination with Reince's enthusiasm to take back the debates from "left-wing" media, push the conversation in the primary well to the right. He'd be like a Rick Santorum that people actually paid attention to.

This is a minor meta-point, but if you're posting a link to an article, please include at least a short quote or a description of it.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 5, 2013

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Sharing a debate stage with Cruz, Santorum and West would make Marco Rubio look moderate as gently caress.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wasn't really following the 2008 primary much, but can one party's primary affect the other party's similarly to how it can push its own candidates to the right or left like we saw with Romney?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I have to wonder how indebted Booker is to Wall Street. We've only seen him at the mayoral level. The man believes in doing the right thing. And showing off.
I could see it as possible that once he hits the Senate he could be considerably more independent there.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
It's probably reasonable to assume that unless something major happens (like, say, the Earth's crust breaking open and Magog crawling out to begin a ten-thousand year reign of terror) that every presidential candidate will be indebted to Wall Street.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well _yes_. Everything's relative.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Warcabbit posted:

The man believes in doing the right thing.
What does this even mean, though? There are certainly people who really believe neoliberalism is what the world needs. Pretty much everybody thinks of themself as the Good Guy doing the Right Thing. If it's with reference to his persona, rescuing kittens from trees isn't public policy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ufarn posted:

I wasn't really following the 2008 primary much, but can one party's primary affect the other party's similarly to how it can push its own candidates to the right or left like we saw with Romney?
I don't remember anything like that other than the Republicans falling over themselves pledging to be the candidate of change.

e: Everyone viable is indebted to Wall Street and the primary is mostly deciding which person or whose pet issue you like most. If it's O'Malley vs. Cuomo, I'd back the one who talks about appointing judges as a priority.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 5, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

This wasn't really an issue in 2008 because the Democratic primary was such an insular turf war that nobody really cared that Tom Tancredo and Fred Thomson were saying stupid things. I bet Obama and Hillary's advisors still don't know that movement conservatives were beating up on an empty Giuliani (at the time the "frontrunner") podium at the Values Voter Summit in September 2007. And 2008 is really the only year there was a truly open primary on both sides simultaneously since the invention of the modern primary system, so it's hard to draw any conclusive conclusions from how that went.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

It is probably instructive to note that Obamas team during the re-elect was doing everything in their power to ensure Romney was the candidate they ran against aside from straight-up donating to him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

serewit posted:

It is probably instructive to note that Obamas team during the re-elect was doing everything in their power to ensure Romney was the candidate they ran against aside from straight-up donating to him.
I think they would have been much happier running against Trump or Bachman or Cain or Santorum or Gingrich than Romney. Perry gave them a bit of a pause - at least, until he lost the ability to count to three on live television.

I do remember them figuring (correctly) that Romney was going to be the nominee long before he locked it up, and they started running negative campaign ads against him before he'd wrapped up the nomination.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

serewit posted:

Axelrod post-campaign said they were looking at Romney, Perry, and Huntsman as the 3 candidates to watch. Though honestly, I think him throwing Huntsman in there was to toss a bone to the Morning Joe crowd than actually seriously thinking he was possibly going to get the nomination.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Axelrod post-campaign said they were looking at Romney, Perry, and Huntsman as the 3 candidates to watch. Though honestly, I think him throwing Huntsman in there was to toss a bone to the Morning Joe crowd than actually seriously thinking he was possibly going to get the nomination.

Huntsman was the least likely but possibly the biggest threat so they had to watch him more closely.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Huntsman was the least likely but possibly the biggest threat so they had to watch him more closely.

I doubt he was ever likely enough to win to be a real "threat", enough to alter campaign strategy anyway. They were probably watching him closely since had he garnered enough attention to have a moderating effect on the entire primary, he could have drawn a more likely winner (at the time) "conservative" like Perry into making some hypocritical statements. Or maybe that's too "11-D Chess" of me, but it's the only reason I could come up with a realistic reason to keep an eye on him.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Huntsmania is a strange disease which crippled the minds of dozens of pundits and analysists with totally irrational projections; you never know, there could have been a White House outbreak.

E: "Obama administration exaggerates reasonableness of Republicans" also is an ongoing theme, even at this late date.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 5, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, part of the reason Huntsman was made Ambassador to China was to remove that threat.

Turned out that it didn't matter because he was (impossibly) the more boring Mormon in the primary.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

dinoputz posted:

I doubt he was ever likely enough to win to be a real "threat", enough to alter campaign strategy anyway. They were probably watching him closely since had he garnered enough attention to have a moderating effect on the entire primary, he could have drawn a more likely winner (at the time) "conservative" like Perry into making some hypocritical statements. Or maybe that's too "11-D Chess" of me, but it's the only reason I could come up with a realistic reason to keep an eye on him.

Huntsman was a threat the same way that Pennsylvania was in play; neither was likely, but if they had happened, it would have been a sign that the Democrats had dangerously miscalculated their metrics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Turned out that it didn't matter because he was (impossibly) the more boring Mormon in the primary.

I'm kind of boggling at the fact there were two.

And I don't know how you can say Romney was boring, the entire 2012 presidential run was pretty entertaining. :getin:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

serewit posted:

Three things... What? How? Why?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

They would bring up Mitt's policies and background as if he was the only other candidate.
Basically they decided Mitt couldn't generate necessary GOP enthusiasm and running against Mr. Burns would be easy.

e: Also they thought he was weird, which is totally a dogwhistle for Mormon and they should be ashamed!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

They would bring up Mitt's policies and background as if he was the only other candidate.
That's pretty convincing evidence that Axelrod realized Romney was in fact the frontrunner, not that they preferred him to be so.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

e: Also they thought he was weird, which is totally a dogwhistle for Mormon and they should be ashamed!

Haha yeah the defensiveness on that one was never not funny.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

glowing-fish posted:

As is usually the case, Nate Silver has something insightful to say about Hillary Clinton's popularity and how it will affect her (presumed) 2016 campaign:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/predictable-decline-in-hillary-clintons-popularity/#more-40236

He basically says that while Hillary Clinton is still popular amongst Democrats, the idea that she has some type of transcendent popularity across groups is wishful thinking.

The thing is, Hillary Clinton is still a hawk. We knew that in 2008, and we know that she spent the first Obama term always being on the hawk side of internal foreign policy debates. If the Democratic electorate, for whatever reason, is in a paticularly anti-war mood in 2015, she may run into some of the same rough dynamics. It seems unlikely at this point that Obama will doing anything in foreign policy that would really turn off the Democratic base, but it's still possible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Well, part of the reason Huntsman was made Ambassador to China was to remove that threat.

It didn't work because it was another move, much like the sequester and untold other Obama policy gently caress-ups, that was built on a complete misreading of how extreme the republican party is.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

And 2008 is really the only year there was a truly open primary on both sides simultaneously since the invention of the modern primary system, so it's hard to draw any conclusive conclusions from how that went.

How are you defining "truly open"? 1988 had the "Seven Dwarves" on the Democratic side while Bush, Dole. and Robertson fought it out. Even 2000 had simultaneous real primary campaigns for both sides. Unless you're hand waving races where the expected winner actually won, which I'd remind you in 2007 we all thought was the state of the 2008 Democratic primaries.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

I have to wonder how indebted Booker is to Wall Street. We've only seen him at the mayoral level. The man believes in doing the right thing. And showing off.
I could see it as possible that once he hits the Senate he could be considerably more independent there.

He railed against people who were attacking private equity during the 2012 campaign and defended Bain Capital. He's 100% pro finance.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So I've been reading about what's been happening in NJ and I keep hearing that he needs to not only consider a 2016 bid, but also his current 2013 governor race. Given how much legwork and fundraising is required to run for president these days, wouldn't holding a current office actually be a hindrance? And even if it wasn't I don't see why his governorship would be considered all that important to him, except as a fallback plan.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SilentD posted:

He railed against people who were attacking private equity during the 2012 campaign and defended Bain Capital. He's 100% pro finance.

Thank you, SilentD. Yes, given his current position and location, he'd have to say that and do that.

However, even a moment's thought would make you realize that someone who is a shirtsleeves rolled up reformer at heart often changes perspective on where the real problems are, once the problems they face change. If elected to higher office, he'll start running into situations where the moneybags are the problem. As opposed to being mayor of a small city that is incredibly hosed, where they're the solution.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Warcabbit posted:

Thank you, SilentD. Yes, given his current position and location, he'd have to say that and do that.

However, even a moment's thought would make you realize that someone who is a shirtsleeves rolled up reformer at heart often changes perspective on where the real problems are, once the problems they face change. If elected to higher office, he'll start running into situations where the moneybags are the problem. As opposed to being mayor of a small city that is incredibly hosed, where they're the solution.

No, he'll pull Schumer and act like all the Dems from those places and join Nancy "the Bush cuts should only expire on incomes over 1 million because that's not that much money here" and the Schumer "wall street is our town" chorus. Urban area socially liberal Democrats = Republicans on economics.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Michael Hastings wrote a little book about his coverage of the campaign called Panic 2012, apparently Obamas team was doing oppo work on Romney in 2011 and helping his primary challengers by glomming on to whatever negative stories they were releasing about him (Bain, tax returns, etc.)

IIRC, it was Obama staff who leaked the whole tax return story to the press just so the other primary campaigns would pick up on it and embarrass Roms. The Obama team also started the car elevator story, Politico ran it as a piece coming from a 'rival campaign' instead of from Obama.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eschers Basement posted:

How are you defining "truly open"? 1988 had the "Seven Dwarves" on the Democratic side while Bush, Dole. and Robertson fought it out. Even 2000 had simultaneous real primary campaigns for both sides. Unless you're hand waving races where the expected winner actually won, which I'd remind you in 2007 we all thought was the state of the 2008 Democratic primaries.
I think it was the first modern primary election with neither a sitting president nor a sitting vice-president running. That's probably what he's referring to.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

I love these "secretly a super-liberal" theories.

How did that work out for us last time, again...?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Democrazy posted:

So I've been reading about what's been happening in NJ and I keep hearing that he needs to not only consider a 2016 bid, but also his current 2013 governor race. Given how much legwork and fundraising is required to run for president these days, wouldn't holding a current office actually be a hindrance? And even if it wasn't I don't see why his governorship would be considered all that important to him, except as a fallback plan.

The dude's already running his campaign for governor, it's way too late to back out now.

Also Sarah Palin didn't quit the governorship of Alaska until about 9 months after she lost the vice presidential election.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The banking industry has such a massive influence over the well being of Northern New Jersey. Dude's knee deep in finance. I don't think he's going to evolve his views on it.

Essex county is a suburb of Manhattan. His he worships the Goldman Sachs god.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 5, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thanatosian posted:

I love these "secretly a super-liberal" theories.

How did that work out for us last time, again...?

Booker is in a weird position vis a vis "progressive bonafides" in Newark. Many of the typically progressive institutions in the city - the education leadership, the public works, the city unions, basically the entire local infrastructure and city government right down to stuff like the watershed board - were completely co-opted by the deeply corrupt longtime former mayor Sharpe James and really did need to be torched. At the same time, the city became borderline insolvent for a variety of boring reasons having to do with lost revenue, and one of the few things the city really has going for it is its financial industry (there's a reason everything in Newark is named "Prudential," for example).

So yeah, Booker's been fighting with the local public unions, and yeah, the budget got slashed in spots where you'd prefer not to slash, and yeah, he's spent a lot of time looking for investment in Newark, and yeah, he's said some nice things about the financial industry. Does that mean Booker's a true economic neoliberal or a pragmatist that inherited a truly terrible and corrupt situation that he vowed to clean up? Hard to tell, and there are things pointing in the other direction; he does genuinely seem to give a poo poo about stuff like poverty and constituent service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Exactly. Would I be surprised if Booker stayed glued to the financial industry? Not really. Do I judge it more likely he might change his mind than, say, Andrew Cuomo? Yes.

• Locked thread