Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Popcorn posted:

OK, I agree, in that nothing is ever completely new or completely non-new... but there is still a continuum of originality and RAM sits somewhere low on it. I don't rate RAM as something like the work of Tarantino, for example, who samples and remixes his sources in a style more comparable to, say, Discovery. As homage, RAM is very literal. I'd be interested in hearing about why I'm wrong about that; so far the examples of newness/differentation you've given are "electronics" and "vocoder", which is why I called you up on it in the first place.

e: to expand further, I don't actually think the album suffers from being un-new, per se; I'm far more bothered by the lazy songwriting and lack of editing. But I resent the unprecedented cloud of hype that surrounds it, its self-proclaimed mission to "give life back to music", the fans and critics who are calling it new and brave, etc.

And I responded that I don't think all of the parts had ever been brought together and turned up to such an extreme degree. Whether you care to find that new/interesting/original is up to you. I mean, we can look back on something like "Around the World" and call that unoriginal or lazy (I mean, how many times can you repeat the same 3 words?). But everything must be viewed in the context in which in comes out. Rap music has been using the same disco-era guitar sounds and horns since the early 90's. Dr Dre was/is a master of it. (In fact, I've seen "Beyond" from RAM compared to a Dr Dre beat) But I don't think Dr Dre was "lazy" or "unoriginal" because he took old sounds and used them in ways they weren't used before.

Call me crazy but I don't think coming out with a disco album that's sung almost completely by robots is "unoriginal". I think you're disappointed by a lack of progress in the sounds or something. But progress is an illusion anyways. Every "new" thing is a rehash of something old. And if Daft Punk wants to stop pushing the envelope, take a look back at what came before them, and combine and tweak the elements to create something that is pseudo-new, god bless them. They'll probably even gain some new fans for it (like me!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Mahoning posted:

I think you're disappointed by a lack of progress in the sounds or something.

Actually I state exactly the opposite in my last post!

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't see what's interesting about the concept of 'robots singing' on an album that is purely dance music though? How does that concept affect the emotional value of the music at all? Some people are reading a bit deep into a loving Daft Punk album (their weird pretentious comments doesn't help things).

It would be good if a release like this encouraged people to go back and listen to disco in general i think it's a lot more extensive than people think. Mixed up in the Hague Vol 1 & 2 is probably good introductions to music from the time. I mean if people are so enthusiastic about this album then you think they would be similarly interested to find more of it, but a lot of the time unfortunately they don't. I'm not trying to be negative btw it's cool if you like the album.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

infinity2005 posted:

I don't see what's interesting about the concept of 'robots singing' on an album that is purely dance music though? How does that concept affect the emotional value of the music at all? Some people are reading a bit deep into a loving Daft Punk album (their weird pretentious comments doesn't help things).

It would be good if a release like this encouraged people to go back and listen to disco in general i think it's a lot more extensive than people think. Mixed up in the Hague Vol 1 & 2 is probably good introductions to music from the time. I mean if people are so enthusiastic about this album then you think they would be similarly interested to find more of it, but a lot of the time unfortunately they don't. I'm not trying to be negative btw it's cool if you like the album.

People can read however deeply into any work of art that they want, that's the beauty of art.

What I find "interesting" or "new" or above all, appealing to me about this album is it retains the aspects of disco I like (the guitar riffs, dance beats) and eliminates what I don't like (most of the vocals on pretty much any disco song).

Call me whatever you want for thinking this, but its funny to me to think of the album as two robots hearing disco music and saying "we could do that" in an attempt to understand humanity, and this is the result. A bit like Data on Star Trek performing Shakespeare on the holodeck to understand the human condition. [/nerd]

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm really digging this album, none of my friends are that into Daft Punk. But after listening to the entire album twice on 300ug of LSD they each bought it on itunes.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

infinity2005 posted:

I don't see what's interesting about the concept of 'robots singing' on an album that is purely dance music though? How does that concept affect the emotional value of the music at all?

Well this is a weird question. How would having unaltered "human" singing affect the emotional value instead, in your eyes? How does using guitar instead of piano affect the emotional value? Etc?

I think the robot voices are a tremendously valuable part of the Daft Punk sound, not just as part of an instantly recognisable trademark, but as an emotional tension. For example, on Harder Better Faster Stronger, the song builds and releases tension by escalating the complexity of the vocoder effect, "playing" the "voice" as not a voice but a lead instrument. Think about how that works with the lyrics, too; the robot is singing about working hard on what sounds like some sort of production line (?), starting off initially steady and workmanlike before finally spiralling into chaos, until its words are incomprehensible and the poor thing sounds like it’s having some sort of terrible breakdown. The best bit of Get Lucky (and RAM) does a similar trick of elaborating on a catchy vocoder line, but stops building it frustratingly early.

Taking the opposite approach, the vocal in Instant Crush wouldn't seem so mournful and "trapped" without the manipulation. It (and the vocal is an 'it', not a he, not Julian Casablancas) sings "take it, I don't want to sing any more"... before a guitar solo manipulated to sound weirdly like a voice enters. The interplay in that moment is the only part of the album that really moves me.

quote:

Some people are reading a bit deep into a loving Daft Punk album (their weird pretentious comments doesn't help things).
This is a creative arts discussion forum, pal, it's where reading deep and being pretentious is what the cool kids do! Join us!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The sort of weird 'nostalgic' feel of the album is one of my favorite parts of it, because it almost doesn't feel like a 'new' album, instead more a collection of really good music that I just haven't, by fate, heard before.

I think a big part of my enjoyment of the album is that it happens to suit my childhood music experience almost exactly. I was a kid in the late 90s and early 00s, and my entire musical knowledge at that time was a weird combination of the disco that my parents loved and would play for us a lot, the electro-pop and eurodance that was having its moment in the spotlight at that time, and the Michael Jackson-style pop music that hadn't yet left the airwaves. Fit the alternative rock field that R.E.M. was a part of in there somehow and RAM encompasses my entire musical experience until somewhere around 2006.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Game of Love has some of the most grippingly emotional vocals I've heard in a long time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm just impressed with the entire concept. The title "random access memories" and a collection of tracks that you SWEAR you've heard before, but you haven't, and BRILLIANT production (when you play it loud, you start noticing all sorts of things. ) I can't stop listening to it. The hype has worn off, I legitimately love love love this album. Touch and Instant Crush are masterpieces. :colbert:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cleretic posted:

The sort of weird 'nostalgic' feel of the album is one of my favorite parts of it, because it almost doesn't feel like a 'new' album, instead more a collection of really good music that I just haven't, by fate, heard before.
Or maybe you have! Well, not really, but I think there's good reason it feels familiar -- because it is. Besides obvious things like the Nile Rodgers guitar riffs,

The Game of Love could easily be a Sade ballad.
The opening of Instant Crush, in particular the bass/muted rhythm guitar eighth notes, sound very similar to Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons.
The verse of Beyond is very much like I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald (sing the first two lines of IKF to the music of Beyond).

I know you can find similarities in any things if you look hard enough, but ...

somnambulist posted:

I'm just impressed with the entire concept. The title "random access memories" and a collection of tracks that you SWEAR you've heard before, but you haven't ...
Seems like it's easier with this album than others.

Edit : not McDonnel you moron.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 4, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like what Pharrell said about this album, how it's like an album from the 70's of an alternate universe.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Don't forget that Random Access Memory is an integral computer part, something that was not in the common vernacular in the 70s.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
A lot of people hate Motherboard, but I dunno, I really dig it. Like one of my favorite songs on the album. It sort of has that Brian Eno's Before or After Science vibe in the beginning with the bouncy drums and bass, and it just goes places after that. The way the song sort of melts into liquid and submerges out of it with new elements is kinda cool!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like the concept of motherboard but I usually skip it. It's not a bad song, it's just not what I feel like listening to when I bust out this album. Within and Motherboard get the least amount of playtime.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Touch and Motherboard might be my most listened to.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Early on, I would skip Motherboard, but then I gave it a good listening to, and now I never do. It might just be me but it gives me a sense of dread and urgency, for some reason.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Me two days ago: Alright so a new Daft Punk album is out...I heard that Pharrell single and it was OK and I've literally read nothing about what this album is supposed to be.
Well let me give it a try. :stare: Holy poo poo! That's different...but the same...

I'm not a huge dance music fan but I've been following Daft Punk since I first heard Homework in 1997/1998. I really enjoyed Discovery and Human After All though I skipped over the Tron soundtrack.
Random Access Memories is really quite something. I love them for doing this.

I dig all the tracks, even Touch. A few of them took some warming up to but on second and third listens things really started clicking. The sound/production is fantastic. Random Access Memories has been a pleasant surprise and Daft Punk can put another notch in their helmets.

edit: Also, I was oblivious to the Human After All hate and I'm glad.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 4, 2013

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

infinity2005 posted:

Some people are reading a bit deep into a loving Daft Punk album (their weird pretentious comments doesn't help things).

Every album is a concept album if you think about it hard enough.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So you can definitely hear some vocal harmonies in Instant Crush, and I'm interested in whether they were sung, or just manipulated to be that way. I imagine once you've run a voice through a vocoder or whatever they use, it's pretty easy to create vocal harmonies simply by playing a chord (a vocal chord! :haw:) but something about the way this album is and the way it is sung makes me believe that Casablancas was recorded singing the different parts.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

One thing this album gave me was a better appreciation for Human After All and Discovery. At least those albums sounded fresh. This album reminds me of 80's Young Lion jazz in how it just recycles old sounds and adds very little. To quote Miles Davis, "This is warmed over turkey."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is anyone else having trouble listening to their albums on iTunes? iTunes is giving me a big headache despite the fact that I bought the album almost a week ago. It also won't put the songs on my iPod, which is a really big hassle.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Am I the only one who thinks Giorgio by Moroder sounds like a fragrance of cologne?

"now you too can smell like you've been on a coke binge at the disco for 6 days straight"

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

One thing this album gave me was a better appreciation for Human After All and Discovery. At least those albums sounded fresh. This album reminds me of 80's Young Lion jazz in how it just recycles old sounds and adds very little. To quote Miles Davis, "This is warmed over turkey."

Honestly that's why I think Doin' It Right is such a standout, its probably one of the only songs on the album that sounds "new".

Overall I liked the album, but not nearly as much as Discovery/Homework.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

SeXReX posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Giorgio by Moroder sounds like a fragrance of cologne?

"now you too can smell like you've been on a coke binge at the disco for 6 days straight"
You're not the only one, because it's explicitly a pun on this: http://www.amazon.com/Giorgio-Beverly-Hills-Women-Toilette/dp/B000C213M0

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeXReX posted:

If you are the only one, they did something terribly wrong...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SaberToothedPie posted:

Honestly that's why I think Doin' It Right is such a standout, its probably one of the only songs on the album that sounds "new".

Overall I liked the album, but not nearly as much as Discovery/Homework.

Doin' It Right is definitely what grabbed my ear on my first listen to the album.
It's interesting to me how on Doin' It Right Panda Bear's vocals are performed in a manner that seems to simulate how vocal patches on keyboards sound. There is no subtlety in the vocal performance and the attacks on all the words/notes are identical, it sounds like a machine. I would assume that this was intentional.

It really is something reading how divided people are on this album. It's pretty fascinating.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can somebody explain how "Doin It Right" sounds new? It reminds me of Animal Collective+vocider. (Serious question; not a dickish rhetorical statement)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

thathonkey posted:

Can somebody explain how "Doin It Right" sounds new? It reminds me of Animal Collective+vocider. (Serious question; not a dickish rhetorical statement)

People have not listened to Animal Collective. Even though they should

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

thathonkey posted:

It's not that it sounds "new" compared to AC, after the first 14 tracks it sounds completely different.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The beat behind it is the most modern thing on the whole album, when I heard it I immediately thought "This is going to end up on so many rappers mixtapes".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pitchfork posted this article with the title "Daft Punk were shooting....something in New York today"

quote:

Today, Gothamist reported that two guys wearing Daft Punk masks were being filmed in New York near Grand Central Station. It's unclear what they were filming, but it's been confirmed that those two people were, indeed, Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo. Check out a Vine from the scene below.

It's yet another rare public appearance from the robots, who recently showed up at the Grand Prix de Monaco to check out their very own racecar. Check out our Cover Story on Daft Punk.

http://pitchfork.com/news/51047-daft-punk-were-shooting-something-in-new-york-today/

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
RAM #1 on Billboard 200 again (no surprise), Get Lucky jumped up to #3 on Hot 100 in the US :dance:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1565745/macklemore-ryan-lewis-still-atop-hot-100-robin-thicke-reaches-top-10

I wondered if they'd be able to pull a #1 song out of RAM and it looks like they just might do it. It's too bad that Lose Yourself to Dance doesn't have a radio edit, I feel like that song could chart just as well, if not better, than Get Lucky.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

-Inu- posted:

RAM #1 on Billboard 200 again (no surprise), Get Lucky jumped up to #3 on Hot 100 in the US :dance:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1565745/macklemore-ryan-lewis-still-atop-hot-100-robin-thicke-reaches-top-10

I wondered if they'd be able to pull a #1 song out of RAM and it looks like they just might do it. It's too bad that Lose Yourself to Dance doesn't have a radio edit, I feel like that song could chart just as well, if not better, than Get Lucky.

no no no. The second single needs to be..

Instant Crush......Instant Crusssssssssssssssssssssh.

:colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, that's honestly some poo poo I never thought I would hear, and boy does it make me happy. They've been popular for years and years, but never that popular. Wow. Maybe people loving this album will turn them on to the robots' previous albums as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, that's honestly some poo poo I never thought I would hear, and boy does it make me happy. They've been popular for years and years, but never that popular. Wow. Maybe people loving this album will turn them on to the robots' previous albums as well.

Well, my local alternative rock station played Around the World for no discernible reason, so there may be truth in that statement.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Doin it Right is probably my least favorite song on the whole album even though I like it. Its just a bit repetitive in my opinion.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You must hate all other DP albums then

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I definitely don't like Doin' It Right very much but yeah, criticizing it as repetitive is kind of odd. I mean I guess in the context of this album, there was more variance? Still it's a funny criticism of a Daft Punk song.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

het posted:

I definitely don't like Doin' It Right very much but yeah, criticizing it as repetitive is kind of odd. I mean I guess in the context of this album, there was more variance? Still it's a funny criticism of a Daft Punk song.

Yeah I should have cleared this up but I guess wanted more out of Panda Bear than what was actually on there. And yeah its pretty dumb saying its repetitive because in that case I guess the whole album is repetitive. Its still very catchy but I wish there was more to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Crush
May 14, 2013

somnambulist posted:

no no no. The second single needs to be..

Instant Crush......Instant Crusssssssssssssssssssssh.

:colbert:

Clearly.

Anyways, love the album. I tend to skip Game of Love and Touch, but there's always a couple tracks I don't care for. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting back in 2008 when I had just found out about Daft Punk and played Alive 2007 and Human After All on repeat.

• Locked thread