Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

PleasingFungus posted:

Like I said in my last post: get military organization tech 4, watch your supply problems melt away. The goal of the design is to make the pagans survive to around the beginning of the vanilla start (1066). And it works pretty well!

(Also, speaking as the king of Finland, Finland is kind of a shithole in CK2. Why are you even trying to conquer it? Go find some decent holdings to conquer!)

I want a Scandanavian empire :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rumda posted:

Well the central section is horde free.....

Frost giants.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Fintilgin posted:

Anyone else notice a weird issue with the Old Gods? I've noticed with a Norse character and a Roman character that they will be clean shaven during war and instantly gain a full beard when at peace. Must be related to helmets or something? Very weird/funny.

Portraits in general for Norse characters are kinda whack. I've never seen a character I've made in the custom ruler utility in the game. And the weird looking doofuses it lands me with are constantly changing what they look like over time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Fintilgin posted:

Anyone else notice a weird issue with the Old Gods? I've noticed with a Norse character and a Roman character that they will be clean shaven during war and instantly gain a full beard when at peace. Must be related to helmets or something? Very weird/funny.

I've had this issue with the Mongol portraits for ages. Apparently the beta patch incorporates some portrait fixes from a mod, don't know if it works or not.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Here's how to conquer Finland: First take over Denmark, Sweden, and Norway because they are way easier.

Declare on Finland, and stick your massive levies into the same fleet. Dump your soldiers onto the biggest Finnish army you can find (it should not be bigger than yours). When you beat the army, immediately get back on your boats. Look for the next biggest army, and repeat until Finland is left with a few tiny lovely armies.

Now, find the capital of Finland, dump your armies onto it, and assault it and every holding as fast as possible. If you have ~10x the number of troops of the garrison then you'll barely take any losses. After you take the province, stick your army back on your boats. Repeat with a bunch of provinces, starting with the ones under direct control of Finland's leader. I'm pretty sure that these are worth more warscore than others. Eventually you'll control enough provinces for warscore to gradually rise on its own, and all you have to do is make sure Finland doesn't retake any provinces.

The goal is to minimize time spent around starving to death by attrition as possible. In most cases, you'll lose more troops to a long seige than you will to an assault. Be sure to hire mercenaries and reraise your levies as necessary!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raserys posted:

I've had this issue with the Mongol portraits for ages. Apparently the beta patch incorporates some portrait fixes from a mod, don't know if it works or not.

Dosen't seem too, I just saw it with a beta patch Hellenic Roman.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if the Hellenic culture thing is just a lark or whether it's a clue about the next DLC. They're probably not going to move the end date forward because of EU4 but they could move the start date back even more.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm betting it's just for fun. The Aztec stuff wasn't announced in a patch and bringing back the greek religion seems like something the Paradox forums would enjoy and ask for.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
A dev said it was added just so that some long dead Roman emperors could have it as their religion if you look back in the family trees far enough, but also that it was functional enough to add it to someone with the ruler designer.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A lot of people in the Paradox thread were sure that Paradox adding the Byzantine Empire to V2 meant that they were going to release a EU3 to V2 converter at some point.

This is most likely just one of those funny things that Paradox does guys, not a secret hint for their next DLC.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
For those too busy to fiddle with religions that don't even have living characters in-game, here's the basic rundown on both Hellenics/Hellenistics and Generic Pagans from my personal accounts:

Hellenic Pagans:

Paradox posted:

The Hellenistic religion is polytheistic, with a pantheon of 12 major gods including including Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Venus, Minerva, and Vesta. It originated in Ancient Greece and with the conquests of Alexander the Great and the Roman Empire, it would go on to become the dominant religion in the mediterranean world until the rise of Christianity.
  • Mediterranean portraits are still lovely looking
  • Hellenic Pagans still use the wooden pagan interface and dukes are called High Chiefs
  • Hellenic Pagans use the default Christian CoA interface
  • The Hellenic religion starts as organized, but has no head of religion
  • Has a lovely red-purple color that is almost indistinguishable from that of the new Orthodox color on tiny provinces
  • Holy Sites are in Abydos, Thessalonike, Athens, Alexandria, and Rome
  • No Holy Wars, but can declare Subjugation Wars against all other Pagans
  • Not limited to gavelkind succession
  • No special decisions
  • Can have concubines
  • poo poo at conversion like other pagans

Generic Pagans:

Paradox, in trying to justify this religion still being in the game files posted:

Since the dawn of history, both Europe and the Middle East have been home to countless Pagan religions and cults unrelated to the Abrahamic faiths.
  • Mediterranean portraits are still pretty lovely looking
  • Generic Pagans still use the wooden pagan interface and dukes are called High Chiefs
  • Generic Pagans use the default pagan CoA set
  • Counts as already organized (why) but has no head of religion
  • Red-Brown color on map
  • Limited to gavelkind
  • Holy Sites are in Rome, Vestergautland, Mecca, Jerusalem, and Ghana (good loving luck)
  • No special decisions
  • Can have concubines
  • poo poo at conversions like other non-placeholder pagans
  • lovely

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Important question. I have a son in law in my court, he's heir to a duchy in another kingdom. If I give him a duchy in the empire, when he inherits his foreign duchy does it becomes part of the Empire?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Charlz Guybon posted:

Important question. I have a son in law in my court, he's heir to a duchy in another kingdom. If I give him a duchy in the empire, when he inherits his foreign duchy does it becomes part of the Empire?

Yes, provided the other kingdom has no higher than Medium crown authority. You can check that via the de jure kingdoms map mode.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Walliard posted:

Yes, provided the other kingdom has no higher than Medium crown authority. You can check that via the de jure kingdoms map mode.

What happens if it does? The foreign duchy is inherited by the next in line?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Hellenism is mostly for history files, anyway, it's up to modders to make it something better than Generic Paganism with a different name.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I want to be able to found my own pagan religion based on my dynasty being partially divine. :black101:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

heh

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Any word on if the next beta patch is out yet?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
"Hey, this area had a large population of Jews!"

"Really?"

"Okay so now we add Hellenic religion, got it?"

"Sure!"

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Top Hats Monthly posted:

"Hey, this area had a large population of Jews!"

"Really?"

"Okay so now we add Hellenic religion, got it?"

"Sure!"

They added a half-baked, minimum effort religion, which was good enough for the intended purpose (historical figures). I think people would be pretty upset if they did the same thing for the Jews!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

PleasingFungus posted:

They added a half-baked, minimum effort religion, which was good enough for the intended purpose (historical figures). I think people would be pretty upset if they did the same thing for the Jews!

I just find it mildly humorous, not a dig at paradox! I really want to mod this game :saddowns:

Anybody else find it great when their dynasty pops up randomly? I married a 4th son of mine to some countess from Luxembourg, forget about him, time goes on. 200 years later, I see that one of my cadet branches owns a very big chunk of West Germany.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 6, 2013

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I wish that once you reformed the Norse religion that the Fylkir had to sanction raids and Holy Wars on Kingdoms so that I could somewhat control my vassals when they go tear-assing into HRE or Byzantine client states and get their balls put in a vice.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I maimed the Caliph and my involvement was unknown, but he declared war on me the next day.

You have no proof! :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:siren: - West African pagans can now also raid :siren:
:siren: :siren: - Added the "Ghanan Band" mercenary company :siren: :siren:

Hot drat, gonna start a new Mali game up immediately.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
So when I was 17, I got event pregnant by outside of marriage but I didn't get the trait and then my husband passed away shortly after, I think this was going to an event chain but it got broken. I remarried very shortly after. Now I'm 24 with zero children.

What should I do?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

HenessyHero posted:

So when I was 17, I got event pregnant by outside of marriage but I didn't get the trait and then my husband passed away shortly after, I think this was going to an event chain but it got broken. I remarried very shortly after. Now I'm 24 with zero children.

What should I do?

Assassinate/plot to kill your husband and marry somebody, anybody matrilineally as fast as you can.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
How do I know if pursuing a claim will result in me controlling a county? I pursued a claim of some random courtier and won him a county, but the fucker just took it for himself and didn't become my vassal.
Is it possible to declare yourself king of Ireland and use that as a Casus Belli to invade other Irish counties? As I understand it, Ireland is a traditional kingdom so if I declare myself king I should be able to invade anywhere in Ireland?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How do I know if pursuing a claim will result in me controlling a county? I pursued a claim of some random courtier and won him a county, but the fucker just took it for himself and didn't become my vassal.
Is it possible to declare yourself king of Ireland and use that as a Casus Belli to invade other Irish counties? As I understand it, Ireland is a traditional kingdom so if I declare myself king I should be able to invade anywhere in Ireland?

He'll become your vassal if the title you win him is lower than yours AND he's already one of your vassals, or a member of your dynasty, or you're his de jure liege.

Yes, if you're King of X, then you can wage de jure claim wars on de jure territory of X.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Ok, thanks. How do I declare myself king?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Ok, thanks. How do I declare myself king?

Have enough provinces in the de jure kingdom to put you over the threshold. I think it's 50%. You can check the de jure kingdoms mapmode to see which territories go where.

Edit: and then a little "Create title" button will appear at the top.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I really wish when you became an Empire, all of the kingdoms under you folded into a single set of laws. I mean, it'd be broken as gently caress but still! Maybe give empires a tax loss to make up for it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Modders, time to get to work on the Scandavian flags!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
On the same topic how do you form empires? I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements to form brittania but I don't know how. I have 150+ holdings, three kingdoms and at least 1000 gold, piety and prestige but the option isn't popping up anywhere and I can't why I'm not meeting the requirements like you can with kingdoms. Did they up the amount of holdings you need or something?

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 6, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Trujillo posted:

On the same topic how do you form empires? I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements to form brittania but I don't know how. I have 150+ holdings, three kingdoms and at least 1000 gold, piety and prestige but the option isn't popping up anywhere and I can't why I'm not meeting the requirements like you can with kingdoms. Did they up the requirements or something?

Open your primary title and click the de jure button, then click the empire title, if you then mouse over the create button it'll tell you the requirements and how short you are. Note that you need 80% of a de jure empire to form it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Trujillo posted:

On the same topic how do you form empires? I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements to form brittania but I don't know how. I have 150+ holdings, three kingdoms and at least 1000 gold, piety and prestige but the option isn't popping up anywhere and I can't why I'm not meeting the requirements like you can with kingdoms. Did they up the requirements or something?
In Vanilla, Britannia can only be formed by English, Saxon, Norman, or Celtic group characters.

Adding North Germanic to that would probably be more than reasonable. I assume that's what you have in this case.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Trujillo posted:

On the same topic how do you form empires? I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the requirements to form brittania but I don't know how. I have 150+ holdings, three kingdoms and at least 1000 gold, piety and prestige but the option isn't popping up anywhere and I can't why I'm not meeting the requirements like you can with kingdoms. Did they up the amount of holdings you need or something?

Empires are frequently limited to culture.

It's kinda bullshit.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

In Vanilla, Britannia can only be formed by English, Saxon, Norman, or Celtic group characters.

Adding North Germanic to that would probably be more than reasonable. I assume that's what you have in this case.

Ah yeah, that'd be it. My characters Norse. I just wanted my viking conquests to be a prettier color :(

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'm really enjoyed TOG, raiding is a hell of a lot of fun. Though I won't lie I was sad when the patch nuked all my saves and made CK II+ not work. I had a really good game as Bohemia going. I was role playing the heck out of the game, and it was cool.

-I started off by giving a couple of my surplus demesne to my landless brother (in the middle of the country hopefully creating a buffer between myself and my more ambitious southern brother).

-I got a ton of prestige helping the Emperor out with some rebellions, all while improving my four core demesne parts.

-As my king got older, I scraped together enough prestige to institute Primogeniture (he'd gotten the ambitious trait at some point, so I role played it as him wanting his own line to hold the throne, not his extended family). My family got annoyed, but said nothing since I did annual feats and made everyone happy

-My brother who I gave the center to went insane.

-When my king died, the son was left with four healthy demesne slots, and two second later, one of the brothers died (the way southern one who starts with one province). My character then gave it to his best friend he had growing up.

-Then the ambitious uncle raised his flag in rebellion, and the mad brother of the center rebelled as well. In what became a bloody four year long war I started to call The Uncle's War, my king and his best friend fought against half the country. At some point a random character appeared in court, it was a Jewish guy with a martial score of 21! (The previous king, being just, allowed several small Jewish communities to move into the cities). While slightly out numbered (the early year saw several of my smaller armies wiped out), with the Jewish general leading the army, we wiped out the Uncle's forces and ended the war. The Southern brother was banished, and the mad brother was reduced to one country (Barislav I think it was, it the Bohemian country that starts with B). In gratitude to his generals, my king gave the Jewish man one of his personal demesne (the farthest northern county in starting Bohemia), another general was given the southern Brother's land, and the best friend got an extra county, with my king holding onto the county taken from the mad brother.

-Two years later the mad brother died, and his son took over Barislav. A year after that he too went mad. The Jewish general (now count_ began to improve his holdings, while the other generals worked on theirs. It was then a courtier whom I had married one of my sisters to Martilinially (I was ambitious too and wanted to consolidate the bloodline) popped up that I could press a claim on his county in Hungary, which was embroiled in a civil war against the heretical homosexual king. I sniped the province.

A long stretch of peaceful building up, the country I gave the to the Jewish lord converted, my demesne was strong and the mad cousin died and was replaced with a nephew, who then promptly went insane as well. Bratislav was shaping up to be the Harrenhal of my game. Then suddenly the Emperor (who I wasen't paying much attention too) died and his child was left on the throes. It was at this point three major civil wars broke out in the HRE (two pretenders and the separatists faction) and Bohemia was at a cross roads of what to do.

Thne the patch hit and I lost that save. I was sad, but it was cool and the best part was all of that was inside of about 35 years, so I was eager to see where it went after ,but I still have the cool memories.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: - West African pagans can now also raid :siren:
:siren: :siren: - Added the "Ghanan Band" mercenary company :siren: :siren:

Hot drat, gonna start a new Mali game up immediately.

The mercenaries are awesome but raiding isn't much of a plus seeing as the only two bordering counties you start off next to have a whopping total of 8 gold to loot. The Canary Islands are West African pagan but start with no galleys and only one barony (0.5 gold/month :toot:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
De-jure titles should NOT have requirements.

• Locked thread