Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

Yeah the jewels are no longer there unfortunately, finding the cask really just gets you the cask itself. I was unclear on this for a little while too even though it's explicitly stated in the OP.
You have an odd definition of unfortunate if it includes solving a puzzle and literally digging up lost buried treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

New Orleans

I didn't want to double post, but I don't want this request lost. Could someone overlay the New Orleans picture over a street map of the french quarter? I was just noticing on google maps how regular, like the checkered background, it was. Maybe those distorted places match up on a map?

I tried it, and nothing really lined up. The blocks are all square except those south of Decatur, and those are all triangle shaped.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

GWBBQ posted:

You have an odd definition of unfortunate if it includes solving a puzzle and literally digging up lost buried treasure.

The puzzle-solving is cool but the treasure is now a probably-broken decayed box and a key to nothing.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 5, 2013

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh wow, daisy-as-palmetto works really well, I hadn't put that together till you said. Could be another sign pointing towards Ft. Moultrie & the palmetto logs.

The good and bad thing about Fort Moultrie and Sullivan's Island is that, because it's so tied to symbols of SC in general with the flag and everything, if you can tie something to that symbology than it also ties to Sullivan's Island whether or not that's intentional. I'd say the best case for Sullivan's Island so far is really the African imagery, considering that Sullivan's Island was America's largest slave trading port.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

The treasure's no longer there, that's what's unfortunate. But it is still fun to try to solve the puzzle, and you do still get the expensive ceramic container that once held the treasure inside of it :)

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Flewdefur posted:

SAN FRANCISCO

I've been looking for more hidden/subtle images inside the San Francisco picture. I don't know if this one has been pointed out but I didn't see it marked up before.

I'm fairly sure whatever it is is intentional, and after marking it I can't "unsee" it. It's got a really strong silhouette. Could be a street light or something like that, but I've been scouring Google street view and come up empty handed. Maybe one of you will have better luck.

Hmmm, it could be the SA hand grenade...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It looks like a heart. A real one, that is.

But every time I look at it I see a melting dick.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Roanoke

Sham I Am posted:

Roanoke

We all agree that the verse leads you to the Elizabethan garden itself (though another theory of mine is that it doesn't take you into the garden, and instead you follow the path by the 1896 marker stone). It is then possible that it is leading you down the path to where you can see the wright memorial (I think the path by the marker stone ends at the beach where you can see the memorial from as well, though neither I nor my wife remember for sure and no one has confirmed that to me yet). So one way or another we get to the point where we can see the wright memorial from across the water.

A Path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

The memorial is made out of granite, which has a lot of mica in it, and it looks like a wing. Also, earlier someone pointed out that the bit of armor sticking up on the right arm looks like the wing from across the water. The driftwood could be a reference to going across the water, ending up at the memorial. "Under that which may last be touched or first seen standing" is a complete mystery to me.

As for the memorial itself, if you have crossed the water already then when we look at the following lines...

Look north at the wing
And dig
To achieve
By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination
Your goal.

..."look north at the wing" does not mean stand at the Elizabethan gardens and look north towards the wing, it then mean go to the wing and look north. In other words, The line could correctly be read to be saying "Look north [while standing] at the wing"

I think it might be at the landing spot of the first flight because that is north of the wing itself, and that would be the goal that the wright brothers were shooting for; a successful flight. So "By dauntless and inconquerable Determination" they reached their goal of successful flight and landing. The verse says that is our goal as well.

A few other things that may indicate this are that the armor in the image itself looks a bit like the wright brothers plane with its arms extended and the wooden supports and wires around them. I think the field that the brothers flew from was grazing land for cattle, which might explain the helmet looking so bovine like.

Plus, the part about the wing and the Wright brothers at the end of the verse is 6 lines long. That is fully 30% of the verse which are dedicated to it (not including the first 2 lines of the entire verse); it seems as if this might be more important than just telling you that you should be able to see the memorial from the spot where the sugar bowl is buried.

And now that I think about it, you could look at the verse as a whole as a clue for the hunt; it starts by talking about the memorial and then after a bunch of twists and turns it ends by talking about the memorial again. Maybe that is what we should be doing, starting at the memorial, following the twists and turning clues, and then ending up back at the memorial, which is our "goal".

I wish I could go to the wright brothers museum and memorial to see if anything in the illustration matches up with it.

The main reservation I have about the landing site idea is that the directions would have essentially taken the reader in a full circle. Remember that the start of the verse tells the reader to pass the memorial and then cross the Washington Baum Bridge, which takes them away from the location of the first flight. It seems very odd (and literally roundabout!) to then route the reader through Roanoke and back across the waters to the memorial. It's possible, as you noted at the end, but a key question I have is, is that kind of twisty-turny set of directions consistent with the two found casks and their accompanying verses?

That, and all of the imagery in the book links the Cask 3 site to something Elizabethan, rather than to our good ol' American friends Wilbur and Orville.

Then again, there is a lot of circular imagery in the illustration -- all those key rings and bubbles -- so heck, maybe there is something to the Wright Bros. site.

We ought to compile a shortlist of proposed Cask 3 sites with the supporting evidence/interpretation. I can try to do it later this week, unless someone else wants to give it a shot first!

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Cask 9

stab posted:

which is the metro that connects to the Olympic stadium, which opened in 1976

there a 76? anywhere in the picture? :)

If that musical note is a 76 then I am even more lost then I was before.

If we are looking for St-Louis connections in Montreal, anyone wanna look into St-Louis Square?

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

Saltin posted:

Milwaukee

I don't know the city at all, but could "A letter from the country" "Of a proud tall fifth" be a reference to the Letter Carrier's Monument, which is at the base of the Germania Building, which happens to have 5 corners (it was also the tallest building in the city when it was built)? I always assumed Letter from the Country referred to the country the puzzle seems to be associated with, which is Germany. It's not too far from the culvert like entrance to city hall and a bridge.

I've also been thinking that maybe the "culvert" was that tunnel-like entrance on the south side of City Hall. Glad to see someone else has the same idea.

So here's how this might work chronologically:

View the three stories of Mitchell
Still have no idea. But...

As you walk the beating of the world
Neutrino suggested Water St, as water could be the "beating of the world." Could it mean looking south as you walk down Water St toward the Mitchell building, maybe seeing the top 3 floors of it in the distance? Perhaps you could see the top of the Mitchell building somehow when 794 still ran into that part of town, up by Knapp St., which is where I suggest you start for...

At a distance in time
from three who lived there

Might this mean starting around Knapp street and walking south past Juneau and Kilbourn on Water St?

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
silently playing

Across the street (distance in space) from the Pabst (there's a lyre on top of the Pabst, but no harpsichord or woman) Maybe this is some sort of reference to the PAC (now the Marcus Center) and you are supposed to cross the street to Red Arrow Park...

Step on nature
Red Arrow Park?

Cast in copper
No idea, maybe something that used to be in Red Arrow Park where there's now a skating rink. May simply mean "go to City Hall" as the bell in the tower is copper (see here: http://city.milwaukee.gov/museum). Also, is that copper tile on the roof?

Ascend the 92 steps
Takes you to the first landing in City Hall, presumably where you'd see the compass on the floor...?

After climbing the grand 200
200 steps in City Hall. "Climbing" doesn't have to necessarily mean you're going up. Maybe you're climbing back down.

Pass the compass and reach
Walk through City Hall going south

The foot of the culvert
Go outside and step to the end of the tunnel.

Below the bridge
From here there's only one bridge visible, to the West on Wells. Now does he mean "on the other side" (which is south a bit) or was there actually some way of getting below the bridge before they put in the RiverWalk?

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil

The river DOES travel southeast at this point! But what was here before the RiverWalk???

To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
you'll see a letter from the country
of wonderstone's hearth

No idea about the birches, and they may not be there anymore because of the RiverWalk. Crossing the river, here's where Saltin identifies the Letter Carrier's Monument, which would be west, however back north at this point. This is also where we see the Germania building...

On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits

Germania building is 5-sided. German, which fits the theme. The southern edge of the building is a parking lot, there is no soil. There are some trees lining the street at the southern edge. Who knows how long those have been there.

That's all I got. A lot of it works, though there are some holes. Maybe walking that route we'll find something that lines up with the picture. Don't forget the locust in the picture... perhaps pointing to a locust tree under which the cask is buried?

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
SF

Regarding these images:

http://i.imgur.com/TDoLDqJ.jpg

and

http://i.imgur.com/Wum7gHi.jpg

This alignment is the result of rotating the image clue counterclockwise. So, when we overlay a map of SF, we have an interesting alignment of this red spot (I don't think it's an artifact):

And the Vaillancourt Fountain:

Look at it up close: http://goo.gl/maps/Y7MWf Stuff seems to coincide like the "White house" and the ferry terminal. Take a look around and see if it make sense to you, or see if I'm nuts.

P.S. Forced to use Photobucket because imgur is being an rear end in a top hat.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BJG posted:

The Pear could be Pearman bridge and/or a hint at the South Carolina flag, with a crescent in the shadow:

BJG, you nailed it. I kept coming back to the pear and the daisy because there was some kind of familiarity there I just couldn't put my finger on. It is the South Carolina flag, with the daisy doing double duty as the birth flower. That is so brilliantly simple and obvious now that you've pointed it out. :) I guess we are overthinking some things.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

NoSoup4U posted:

San Francisco

I just want to point out that nobody has made a good match on this barred window yet:

Speculation in the OP said it represented Alcatraz, but the problem is I don't think anything on Alcatraz looks like this. I did some google image searching for 'Alcatraz Window' and the like, nothing comes up like this. The Coit tower has windows with this shape, but no bars. I would expect the casque to be in the immediate vicinity of this window, if we can find it.
Could this be a church/cathedral window? The center looks like a cross, with the whole bar design made in ironwork or possibly stained glass. The border around the window looks like stonework, which fits with an older building for a church.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

12_String posted:

SF
This alignment is the result of rotating the image clue counterclockwise. So, when we overlay a map of SF, we have an interesting alignment of this red spot (I don't think it's an artifact):

And the Vaillancourt Fountain:

That's definitely a small printing error. In the solved cases there we're no tiny clues like that and, as previously stated, there is no precedent for using map overlays.

bonestructure posted:

BJG, you nailed it. I kept coming back to the pear and the daisy because there was some kind of familiarity there I just couldn't put my finger on. It is the South Carolina flag, with the daisy doing double duty as the birth flower. That is so brilliantly simple and obvious now that you've pointed it out. :) I guess we are overthinking some things.

How the gently caress do you confuse a daisy with a palm tree. If the author wanted you to look for a palm tree he would have had the artist draw a palm tree. A pear is not a moon and it's above the flower, not next to a tree.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

How the gently caress do you confuse a daisy with a palm tree.

That's a Palmetto! :catstare:

edit: but yeah I agree and i'm sure the original author would have known the significance of the Palmetto specifically (as being a sturdy tree that deflected cannon rounds from the British in the revolutionary war) and not snubbed it.

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 6, 2013

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

That's definitely a small printing error. In the solved cases there we're no tiny clues like that and, as previously stated, there is no precedent for using map overlays.

How the gently caress do you confuse a daisy with a palm tree. If the author wanted you to look for a palm tree he would have had the artist draw a palm tree. A pear is not a moon and it's above the flower, not next to a tree.

Gettin' mad about puzzles.

When the book was published, it didn't have Charleston, SC next to Cask 2's image. One of the things you had to guess in the treasure hunt was the location for each cask from the clues in the print. The location hints in this image were the shape of the Charleston peninsula on the African mask, which alone was probably enough for most people, and the South Carolina flag emblem (half-moon and palmetto) in the pear and daisy. Look at the shadow on the pear and the ragged shape of the daisy, which is also there to indicate the April - daisy - diamond link. Even if you think that idea is not right, it fits with the style of symbolism found in the other prints.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I'm totally on board with the shape of Charleston; it's an exact match in terms of shape and it's a widely recognizable shape (in terms of the people living there), just like Ohio was. I just don't get the other people who are making long convoluted connections, like all the people doing map overlays of tiny landmarks or the people thinking one palm tree on the side of a road is somehow special. Any round shape with a shadow is going to have a crescent and picking one plant when shown another is ridiculous.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

Goddamn dude, settle down. This is all for fun, not some loving competition.

So, the overlay shown here (http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148488/1_Park), is just a coincidence?

Not exact, but pretty damned close. Could be some sort of reference point, could be BS.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Puzzle solving needs branching (trying out new ideas) and pruning (tossing out ideas that won't work). There's no point in trying to knock people doing either process. We need both.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Saltin posted:

Milwaukee

I don't know the city at all, but could "A letter from the country" "Of a proud tall fifth" be a reference to the Letter Carrier's Monument, which is at the base of the Germania Building, which happens to have 5 corners (it was also the tallest building in the city when it was built)? I always assumed Letter from the Country referred to the country the puzzle seems to be associated with, which is Germany. It's not too far from the culvert like entrance to city hall and a bridge.

It's definitely not too far away from city hall if you read the puzzle like "walk 100 paces once you're on the far side of the bridge", and the direction is more or less correct?
Just a thought.

Unfortunately the Letter Carriers statue is more recent and was dedicated in 1989. i believe there was a flagpole with some plaque and mostly concrete there previously. It was kind of a dead zone, if I remember correctly.

One clue in the picture that I am trying to pin down is the view of City Hall. I have a feeling that it is very important and have used Google streetview to narrow it down to here. I am going to go around there tomorrow and take a few more pictures to see if I can stand exactly where he took the picture. It may be in a grassy spot near the parking structure of which there are a few. I would like to see if any of the trees are birch. It is hard to tell by the streetview images.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 6, 2013

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Emacs Headroom posted:

Puzzle solving needs branching (trying out new ideas) and pruning (tossing out ideas that won't work). There's no point in trying to knock people doing either process. We need both.

True, but the issue is when people don't use any sort of method. Or, more to the point, they pick an idea and try to make the evidence fit, instead of examining the evidence and letting that take you to the conclusion. It's really just fundamental issues with certain people's methodology.

It's fun to read their theories, mind you.

The people that are getting angry and insulting should probably relax a bit. Calling people "literally insane" because you disagree with an interpretation, for instance, is excessive and really ruins the joyous atmosphere that a treasure hunt should be.

Edit: I do disagree that the daisy and pear are meant to represent SC's flag, but who knows. What I am more interested in is why a pear is growing on a pine tree at all. It reminds me of those basic kid puzzles that put two images next to each other to come up with a word or phrase or some obvious meaning. For instance, a pear next to a pine could mean a pair of pines.

Also, two things to keep in mind about the Fort Sumter picture: the flagpole at the real one is not in the dead center (I had trouble verifying if the pole had been moved since the early '80s). Also, the shadow happens to point north, though I am more inclined to think this is simply meant to be a clock face.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 6, 2013

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.
NYC

I took a look at the Strand bookstore for old Atlases. There were a few world atlases from 1982 and earlier, but lacked necessary detail of the cities in question. Nothing useful. We would need city specific maps from that time period. I'm open to suggestions on how to procure them.

Also, though it had already been checked on by someone else here, I can confirm that they do not have a copy of The Secret.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

12_String posted:

Goddamn dude, settle down. This is all for fun, not some loving competition.

So, the overlay shown here (http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148488/1_Park), is just a coincidence?

Not exact, but pretty damned close. Could be some sort of reference point, could be BS.

I'm not really buying that particular overlay. It sure looks similar when someone draws red lines all over the map, with intention of recreating a portion of the illustration. But what about all the streets that don't have red lines drawn on them? And the line crossing over the water above the park seems pretty arbitrary (unless there's a pier or something obscured by the line).

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

StinkyMeat posted:

NYC

I took a look at the Strand bookstore for old Atlases. There were a few world atlases from 1982 and earlier, but lacked necessary detail of the cities in question. Nothing useful. We would need city specific maps from that time period. I'm open to suggestions on how to procure them.

Also, though it had already been checked on by someone else here, I can confirm that they do not have a copy of The Secret.

Local person goes to a library and, likely, uses micro fish fiche to find what is needed.

Edit: For Cask 2 (Charleston, SC)
Since somebody mentioned how the fairy has gone rather overlooked, I have been looking it over. No super revelations at the moment. Obviously the patterning can look like water, land, etc. THe two things that have stuck out to me so far are:
1 - I think the circular objects are meant to be cannonballs. Largely predicated by the 2nd circle from the top of either side of the wings - this circle has a motion effect lines after them.
2 - The relative symmetry of the wings is broken on the bottom wings, where the left side has blue then white (following the top edge and ignoring the minor black), the bottom has blue, orange, white.

Edit2: Also, can we get links in the OP to the solutions for the two solved casks?

Luminous fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 6, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Luminous posted:

Local person goes to a library and, likely, uses micro fish fiche to find what is needed.

The best maps showing the most detail are fire insurance maps and you may be able to find them from that time in a library or university. The company that did them was called Sanborn. Otherwise, many libraries or historical societies will have photography files organized by street or even parks. You can find some good stuff there. Aerial photos are pretty easy to find although not with that much detail. You could get lucky though.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

NYC

Have we entertained the idea that the Statue of Liberty face might not mean THE Statue of Liberty, but one of the replicas somewhere else in the US? I'm not sure if there is a list of US cities with a Statue of Liberty in them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm all for people Caging on the puzzles, since these other ten are going to be harder than the located ones, though I agree that Preiss leaned more towards simple visual cues and street names rather than obscure literary references in the located ones.

Was there an explanation for the gemstones not matching up in the portraits? Milwaukee is supposed to be an amethyst, and has what looks like a topaz or sapphire. Some of the other ones don't match either. Also lol at Preiss handing the Cleveland dude a sapphire instead of an aquamarine.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

ExtraNoise posted:

NYC

Have we entertained the idea that the Statue of Liberty face might not mean THE Statue of Liberty, but one of the replicas somewhere else in the US? I'm not sure if there is a list of US cities with a Statue of Liberty in them.

There's quite a few: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_of_the_Statue_of_Liberty#United_States

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Crashbee posted:

The puzzle-solving is cool but the treasure is now a probably-broken decayed box and a key to nothing.

if it got enough publicity, you'd have to think SOMEONE who had an interest in the book back in the day would be willing to pay a healthy sum to own a legitimate casket/key from the treasure hunt, likely more than the gemstone itself would be worth.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

ExtraNoise posted:

NYC

Some people have, though part of the heat that has gone in here got them shouted at. To be honest, the face is so generic that I think looking at the pose and garments would be a better indication of what the statue is meant to represent. The angelic pose and angelic robes I think are a lot better at indicating what needs to be looked for.

Edit: Also, for Verse 10 (whether it is attached to Cask 12 or not), the isle of B could mean that B is the discoverer or claimer, not necessarily the name of the isle.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 6, 2013

TheHotCarl
Dec 14, 2003
Bulk Male Playmate of the Month: January, 1967

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

There's for sure a face under the bird perch on the left side.

The face looks quite a bit like the Jesus behind Phillips Brooks in the Trinity Church monument. The scroll work on the margin of the dome is also reminiscent of the image, as well as the checkered pattern so characteristic of the landmark.

I had this idea that the poem's reference to metal walls and those moving past the coliseum could refer to a subway car. This would further reinforce the likelihood of its being in copley, which is just near a subway station.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Wow, if these get solved, are you gonna go back through the thread and ream every single person who was wrong? Go outside and scream at the birds for tweeting slightly off-key or something.

You never know if one idea will lead you to another that is the one you are looking for. It's called brainstorming dude, didn't you ever do this in high school?

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
The Boston gem is absolutely the wrong kind of green if it's a peridot, too.

Regarding gymnastics required to make clues fit, don't forget that something that matches almost-but-not-quite today could have matched a lot better in the 80s.

Also, the centaur's helmet in the second solved puzzle was never explained, despite it being very prominent in the image and even the illustrator acknowledging that it had a special significance. Imagine trying to solve the same puzzle today in the absence of a good match for the fountain/garden structures. That would make things like the helmet relatively more important and at the same time make the whole thing much harder since the helmet clue is clearly one of the more obscure ones that will probably never be linked to anything.

I think the best thing to do is to entertain as many theories as possible, especially since we have many people solving the riddles.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Luminous posted:

Some people have, though part of the heat that has gone in here got them shouted at. To be honest, the face is so generic that I think looking at the pose and garments would be a better indication of what the statue is meant to represent. The angelic pose and angelic robes I think are a lot better at indicating what needs to be looked for.

I disagree, in the images used to actually find casks, the central figure was not something anyone actually found, but it just had hints as to where to look. The face is pretty clearly the Statue of Liberty and that (plus whatever that face is that's hidden on her dress) just might be all we can get from the figure.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Luminous posted:

True, but the issue is when people don't use any sort of method. Or, more to the point, they pick an idea and try to make the evidence fit, instead of examining the evidence and letting that take you to the conclusion. It's really just fundamental issues with certain people's methodology.

It's fun to read their theories, mind you.

The people that are getting angry and insulting should probably relax a bit. Calling people "literally insane" because you disagree with an interpretation, for instance, is excessive and really ruins the joyous atmosphere that a treasure hunt should be.

Edit: I do disagree that the daisy and pear are meant to represent SC's flag, but who knows. What I am more interested in is why a pear is growing on a pine tree at all. It reminds me of those basic kid puzzles that put two images next to each other to come up with a word or phrase or some obvious meaning. For instance, a pear next to a pine could mean a pair of pines.

Also, two things to keep in mind about the Fort Sumter picture: the flagpole at the real one is not in the dead center (I had trouble verifying if the pole had been moved since the early '80s). Also, the shadow happens to point north, though I am more inclined to think this is simply meant to be a clock face.

My main issue with the pear/SC flag tree thing is that it doesn't necessarily tell us anything new if it IS true (unless it's really abstractly pointing to Fort Moultrie, which I am willing to keep as a possibility). We know it's in Charleston, SC. I feel like it's much more likely that it means something just as you said: in conjunction with the pine and probably the daisy as well.

Looking back at the verses, I did realize that Verse 5, which has the very strong Citadel call out, could also reference the SC flag. The "single standing member of a forest" would be a tree, and what most famously has one tree but the flag itself? Could indicate a place where the flag would fly (like a fort or government building).

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
NYC

Is anyone Russian or Eastern Orthodox? I've given up on the poem, and am trying to just work off the picture. We know it's connected with November, and with Russia, so I was looking at the Russian Orthodox liturgical calendar, and it looks like the most important date in November is "The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple", a feast day.

Basically what I'm trying to do is find a connection through the known stuff (November, Russia, the onion-domed church in the picture) to link it to some unknown stuff like say one of the poems.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Roanoke

The main reservation I have about the landing site idea is that the directions would have essentially taken the reader in a full circle. Remember that the start of the verse tells the reader to pass the memorial and then cross the Washington Baum Bridge, which takes them away from the location of the first flight. It seems very odd (and literally roundabout!) to then route the reader through Roanoke and back across the waters to the memorial. It's possible, as you noted at the end, but a key question I have is, is that kind of twisty-turny set of directions consistent with the two found casks and their accompanying verses?

That, and all of the imagery in the book links the Cask 3 site to something Elizabethan, rather than to our good ol' American friends Wilbur and Orville.

Then again, there is a lot of circular imagery in the illustration -- all those key rings and bubbles -- so heck, maybe there is something to the Wright Bros. site.

We ought to compile a shortlist of proposed Cask 3 sites with the supporting evidence/interpretation. I can try to do it later this week, unless someone else wants to give it a shot first!
Oh it could very well be that i am completely wrong, it is just a different theory. I kind of like the idea because I don't know that it was ever explored. People seemed to have been through the gardens looking for other clues, but I haven't seen anyone going through the museum and field.

The problem with it being the gardens, as i see it, is that the trail just goes dead. Everyone can get to the gardens, most get to the sunken gardens, and then...nothing, With the one that was found in Cleveland, when they got to the right spot they new because of all the thing from the illustration that they found. Columns, fountains, statues, walls, all kinds of things. None of that really appears to be happening at the elizabethan gardens. If nothing is fitting like it did in the other finds, and we are just guessing that we should dig under this bench or that gate, then it may be because we are not in the spot where we should be digging. That's why I am really starting to think it is not in the elizabethan gardens; like I said earlier we are led to the Gardens by the poem, but not really ever led into them.

I was supposed to go down to the outerbanks this year and we decided not too. Now I wish we did, so i could walk around the gardens, the fort and the museum with my ipad and a camera looking for items in the illustration that matches something in real life. of course, My wife would not be happy with me spending our vacation looking at symbols on marker stones and counting bricks.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Maybe if would be useful for people to visit the exact spots of the solved puzzles/found casks just to see how much of the imagery in the picture is visible from that spot, etc. Gives us more of a baseline of information to work from.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Nesetril posted:

Also, the centaur's helmet in the second solved puzzle was never explained, despite it being very prominent in the image and even the illustrator acknowledging that it had a special significance.

I don't know, I think he was just trying to make Parkgate road, which is 30 feet away, into part of the map. Also, Bellflower road is not that close, relatively speaking. It's in the same general area, but I would not ever associate them. It runs into East Blvd, which is kind of one side of that park area, but I always considered the gardens to be on MLK, not East. Also note, he must have picked the spot and had the art done before they changed Liberty to MLK, and he didn't make any kind of announcement when it changed names...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO/CASK 1

Did we ever get a solid clue on which verse it was?

I feel like Golden Gate Park is the primary location to scout and photograph, especially as it's huge. Then we've got the other suggestions: Ghiradelli Sq, Russian Hill Park/Open Space, Panhandle Park, the Lafayette Tennis Courts (which are being renovated right now so no dice), Legion of Honor, Stern Grove, and City Hall plaza.... any I'm missing?

I have a tentative plan to head down to the city this weekend, (since I was thwarted last weekend) and take some photographs.