Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't believe Coldhands' face has ever been described, just that it has been covered by a scarf up to his eyes, which aren't blue like a wight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
One of the children of the forest, the one that has an actual name, says that Coldhands is very old. Benjen would only have been dead for a short period at this point.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

From this: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/02/robb-stark-wedding/2/

quote:

It was, Michelle and I, our last scene on Game of Thrones.

Sooo, does this mean no Lady Stoneheart? Different actress? Trolling book viewers?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Michelle has hinted she's coming back.
The RW would be Robb and Cat's final scene together so he's not lying, but he's trying to keep the twist safe too so he's using clever language.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Strife posted:

One of the children of the forest, the one that has an actual name, says that Coldhands is very old. Benjen would only have been dead for a short period at this point.

Ah, in that case I'm putting money on some other Stark but that's the direction I'm going. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aurain posted:

The RW would be Robb and Cat's final scene together so he's not lying, but he's trying to keep the twist safe too so he's using clever language.

It would not be the first time he had done so either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TidxJfZXOko&t=24s

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I bet it's Bran the builder, who will soon become Bran the Expositioner as he mansplains what's really up with the wall and what the children of the forest have been up to lately.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PittTheElder posted:

It would not be the first time he had done so either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TidxJfZXOko&t=24s

That is some wonderfully subtle trolling, he's working it in like Derren Brown there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Considering that the Three Eyed Crow is probably Brynden Rivers, the Targaryen bastard who had the ancestral Valyrian sword of the Targaryens, "Dark Sister", what do you reckon the odds are of Coldhands using that as his weapon of choice? Do we ever get a description of the weapons Coldhands uses?

I don't know how much it changes, but a wight/other/whatever Coldhands qualifies as using Valyrian steel is a neat concept to me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On the attractiveness of actors:

I'm glad they didn't stick to rigid book descriptions, because that gave us Nikolaj Coster Waldau, Peter Dinklage, and Iain "That Voice" :swoon: Glenn.

On lack of face clawing:

Too melodramatic. Michelle Fairley absolutely killed it in that scene and she better get an Emmy.

Especially because for the next two seasons she'll be playing an unspeaking zombie and just thinking "haha she got an Emmy for this" as she gurgles and points at things will be great.

On dream casting:

A cameo by Bumpercar Bindlesnatch (Khaaaaaaaaan) as my beloved Darkstar-kun~.

Brendan Gleeson as Jon Con.

And the old gypsy lady from Drag Me To Hell for that one character in Mereen. Xaxa Zoza Zixar or whatever. The harpie.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I saw someone mention Viggo Mortensen for Howland Reed when he finally shows up.
I'd die happy if it happened.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Steven Seagal for Darkstar or bust

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aurain posted:

I saw someone mention Viggo Mortensen for Howland Reed when he finally shows up.
I'd die happy if it happened.

I seem to recall the showrunners saying Howland will never show up.

gently caress, he'll probably never show up in the books, either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress Dungeons and Dragons. They make the worst decisions.
I want them to add him and Strong Belwas and have them meet up somehow and be cool with each other.

You're right though, he's not showing up ever. GURM is also the worst.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't recall...but did Littlefinger ever give any sort of reaction to the RW? All I remember is him loving off to Lisa Arryn's place.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Aurain posted:

gently caress Dungeons and Dragons. They make the worst decisions.
I want them to add him and Strong Belwas and have them meet up somehow and be cool with each other.

You're right though, he's not showing up ever. GURM is also the worst.

There should just be a random webisode with all the forgotten fan-favourite characters having drinks over a table at the Inn at the Crossroads. Then some idiot original character, like Ros, wanders in and they all throw hostile stares in deadly silence.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Fog Tripper posted:

How the show made the leap from disturbing to look at, to dashingly handsome albeit short, eludes me.

Because they thought "little person who can act" was a better choice than either "casting slavishly to physical descriptions" or "spending lots of money putting a main character under a mountain of makeup that will interfere with the acting we hired him for"

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

He was also GURM's first choice, iirc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Nicolas Cage as Oberyn. Robert Deniro as Doran. Al Pacino as Victarion.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

How the show made the leap from disturbing to look at, to dashingly handsome albeit short, eludes me.

I really don't get the problem, I mean, you can always view it in the context of Westeros not being particularly socially enlightened where simply because Tyrion is a dwarf he will always be viewed as horrendously grotesque? I mean, we're talking about a non-modern (non-real) world where it's totally possible that the thought of a devilishly handsome dwarf will never actually enter someone's mind?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Exactly. "OMG the disfigured imp" could very well still be the devilishly handsome Dinklage by old standards.

Kinda like how the old carnival sideshow World's Fattest Man is a svelte and trim model compared to your average Texan.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Exactly. "OMG the disfigured imp" could very well still be the devilishly handsome Dinklage by old standards.

Kinda like how the old carnival sideshow World's Fattest Man is a svelte and trim model compared to your average Texan.

And he still hosed plenty of prostitutes and got along in noble society mostly fine. If he was really Sarah Jessica Parker ugly and people couldn't deal with it Tywin would've had a reason to toss him in a dungeon or something.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't recall...but did Littlefinger ever give any sort of reaction to the RW? All I remember is him loving off to Lisa Arryn's place.

He wasn't present in any POV at the time, so what if any reaction he had is unknown. Lysa Arryn is supposed to be in this season, though, so we may get a show-only version. I'm sure that the next episode will be heavy with Red Wedding reactions around the realm.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Yup, this reminds me of the story Oberyn tells Tyrion about his disappointment at baby Tyrion not being a monster. I can't wait for that scene, or pretty much any with Oberyn. Extremely curious to see who they cast.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Strife posted:

Nope, Leaf says "They killed him long ago", that's all she says, in response to Bran being concerned about the wights killing Coldhands.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

And the old gypsy lady from Drag Me To Hell for that one character in Mereen. Xaxa Zoza Zixar or whatever. The harpie.

Isn't that 'The Green Grace?' The one with the hosed up, rotten face who is obviously a sorceress who keeps giving Dany bad advice and probably enchanting her as well.

V fuckin lol

stawk Archer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dany is lucky no one realizes you could just hire someone stealthy with a spooky mask to sneak into her room and whisper something like "Your path requires you to find a magic chest in the desert with a big R on it" and she'd probably starve her army looking for it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nope, Leaf says "They killed him long ago", that's all she says, in response to Bran being concerned about the wights killing Coldhands.

You're right, I just reread the chapter and that's all she says. But I wouldn't really say "long ago" for someone that's only been dead for two years at most, especially if I were a being that had been alive for hundreds of years.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

Yup, this reminds me of the story Oberyn tells Tyrion about his disappointment at baby Tyrion not being a monster. I can't wait for that scene, or pretty much any with Oberyn. Extremely curious to see who they cast.

Exactly. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Martin mentally has Dinklage in mind when writing Tyrion at this point, considering he was his first choice for an actor.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Benjen warged into a wight, maybe? Just throwing poo poo against the wall and seeing if anything GRRMs.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Strife posted:

Unless he is "old" like Dread Pirate Roberts was "old". Maybe the Old Coldhands passed the mantle on?
(No, that is a stupid theory... but I do love me some Princess Bride)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's not real, right? It's got to be ACTING?!

Or, not. Wow. She really identifies with the North! There's gonna be some clap-back over this, praise Jesus.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I'm doing my first re-read of the series, and my first non-audiobook reading. Came across an early question. How is Robert going to make Jamie Warden of the East if Jamie is in the Kingsguard? Is he going to kick him out? That seemed like a really shameful thing when they did it Barristan

Also I don't blame Ned for keeping Catelyn in the dark about Jon. Robert was crazy about killing Targ babies.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
As much as I'd love for Benjen to be Coldhands, he's probably not. We'll never see him again just like the other weird stuff from early in GoT (Tyrion's acrobatics) because GURM forgot

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'm not expecting Benjen to ever show up again unless as a wight.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If Coldhands isn't literally benjen then Coldhands is just riding his dumb corpsicle around because his old body rotted away or he's tired of living in a tree hell. There's no way they're not one or the other.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Exactly. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Martin mentally has Dinklage in mind when writing Tyrion at this point, considering he was his first choice for an actor.

OK I get it, many of you are gay for Dink.

PS: He is not writing Tyrion at this point. Have you not been paying attention?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
On my first read-through, I was sure that Coldhands was Benjen, and I really want him to be Benjen, but since my second read-through, I've changed my mind. Now I'm pretty sure it's Bloodraven warged into some wight. The wight could be Benjen, but if he is, I don't think any of his consciousness remains. From Dance:

"By day only half a dozen ravens stayed with them, flitting from tree to tree or riding on the antlers of the elk. The rest of the murder flew ahead or lingered behind. But when the sun sank low they would return, descending from the sky on night-black wings until every branch of every tree was thick with them for yards around. Some would fly to the ranger and mutter at him, and it seemed to Bran that he understood their quorks and squawks. They are his eyes and ears. They scout for him, and whisper to him of dangers ahead and behind."

There's only one guy who talks to ravens and has them scout for him.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I seem to recall the showrunners saying Howland will never show up.

gently caress, he'll probably never show up in the books, either.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of theories discounted based on show casting from here on out. Hell I would love for the show writers to be a driving force behind what the next two books become because quite frankly they'll be writing them anyway while GRRM fucks around with his other projects until he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Trast posted:

I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of theories discounted based on show casting from here on out. Hell I would love for the show writers to be a driving force behind what the next two books become because quite frankly they'll be writing them anyway while GRRM fucks around with his other projects until he dies.

But at the same time, it remains to be seen. I remember when season two rolled around and the Reed kids weren't cast or announced at all, we all went "well, guess Jojen's green dreams don't mean gently caress all, eh?" but now they're in the show. So some of it is for sure GRRM saying certain people don't go anywhere, but part of it also is just them being efficent writers.