Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

copen posted:

Wet printing is the poo poo. Everyone should try it who is interested in film. My suggestion would be to take a class at a community college that still has a dark room.

Yeah, printing is definitely some of the most fun you can have with photography. There's nothing like putting on some chill tunes and hanging around the darkroom for a few hours.
I'm lucky that my college has one that is usually accessible to anyone and chemicals are often around to use.
It's closed for the summer though but I'm hopefully gonna shoot a lot of B&W when I go away to Norway later in the month and print it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Using the word "improve" comes with an implicit judgement that other people's processes aren't as good as yours. Look, it's great that your process works really well for you, but my process works really well for me. What you do really wouldn't make sense for the results I want.

You can call it a judgement if you like, there are some serious shortcomings with some of the practices in this thread. I didn't show my before and after to criticize them, but to offer up an insight to what's possible within the physical part of the process. I'll just leave it at that since I don't want to awaken SoundMonkey.

Reichstag said it was disingenuous of me to use an unretouched neg scan and that I should have used a flat print instead, but they both serve the same purpose- to show the neutral negative I started with. The neg scan showed it without my having to waste the time and money to do the flat print in the darkroom. Not to mention, I specifically said it was unretouched in my OP, so I don't know how that was anything other than completely open about it. It wasn't some digital vs film comparison that some made it out to be. It's still covered in dust, for crying out loud.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, we do it wrong, we get it already.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sheesh the guy is just trying to say that wet printing is cool (ok maybe in a hamfisted way). Would everyone be so up in arms if he had posted it in the wet printing thread instead?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

You can call it a judgement if you like, there are some serious shortcomings with some of the practices in this thread.

I agree, the posting practises in here are terrible.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
My, my! So much insecurity here.

First of all it doesn't matter how you achieve your vision. To steer this a bit away from the technical aspect let's imagine a beautiful artwork, say a bust or a statue. Do you really give a drat if the guy made it using power-tools or with the old fashioned hammer and chisel? I wouldn't. It's his artistic expression that counts. Same with paintings and so on.

He is basically taking a part of himself (his vision) and putting it outside for all to see.
This takes courage, as not everyone will agree with your vision, tastes or the perceived message.

That means, that it doesn't matter what workflow you use. As your photographic vision is already being realized by the moment you go to your shooting location. Photography is a curatory medium, we curate reality, show our own view of it and then (maybe) modify it to achieve our mood and vision.

So, ultimately it doesn't matter if you use your shiny Canon Mark II 1s, or whatever the new hotness is right now; or the Holga "toy" camera, which is also frowned upon here, to achieve your vision. It doesn't matter one iota. Because ultimately you should be pursuing your *own* vision, and not the approval of some people on the internet or somewhere else. You primary produce art for yourself. If you don't - I'd suggest you to perform some evaluation: "Where do I want to go from here?".

I personally chose film, because I like the film aesthetic; it works for me and I do the shooting for my enjoyment. That's all I need, I'm simple like that. Now, I would love to do more darkroom printing, like I did in the past, but alas, I can't. I love the manual hands-on work it entails; it's just not practical for me here and in my current life situation.

This film shooters thread here should be a pretty chill place, where we show off our stuff, have the odd technical rant or two and a safe haven from camera inferiority complexes. Our community is already small as it is, let's not subdivide further between the true artists and those that match the workflow to their circumstances. Because ultimately, like an old German chancellor said: "It's what comes out behind that matters."

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

VomitOnLino hit the nail on the head.

Why discredit one technique over another merely because that is the way _you_ do it? As a community, we must embrace the differences/shortcomings of all processes and all artistic outputs - there are a million ways to create a million visions, pick one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I print all my photos on my dilz and the only person that gets to see my "vision" is your mom.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
gently caress negs and prints, shoot wetplate :snoop:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
47 new posts since only a few hours ago in the film thread! The film thread has blown up! Maybe there's some awesome photos here...

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm at the bar on my phone right now, and I'm seeing a lot of opinions, please don't ruin my birthday (yesterday actually) by making me come back to this thread on my laptop where by buttons are bigger than 1 pixel when I get home :(

Don't make me break out storytime again!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
here is my final product, an image formed on your retina in some manner:

Summer by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

here is my final product, an image formed on your retina in some manner:

Summer by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

So your final product is a lawnmower.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

big scary monsters posted:

Really haven't got the hang of correcting tone and colour in my scans yet.

That's the part I like the most of scanning -- there's always something to learn. :)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm using VueScan to create 'raw' tiffs and importing them into LR at the moment, but it doesn't really seem set up to process scans of negs. I've mainly been processing rolls from last year when I'd only just started with film though so it might also be down to poor exposure and developing too.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I'm using VueScan to create 'raw' tiffs and importing them into LR at the moment, but it doesn't really seem set up to process scans of negs. I've mainly been processing rolls from last year when I'd only just started with film though so it might also be down to poor exposure and developing too.

The point of doing a raw scan is to not let the scanning program do any corrections whatsoever, including inverting negatives and countering base color.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Reichstag posted:

The point of doing a raw scan is to not let the scanning program do any corrections whatsoever, including inverting negatives and countering base color.

That's what he's saying.

Negative scan in Vuescan, invert and correct in LR.

...I think.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Oh ha, I read right over the LR part. Though as long as it can invert and has working curves, that means it is set up to process negs as well as photoshop.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm slowly but surely getting back into shooting with film. I'm going to do it so that I can get used to shooting in m mode on my dslr. I have some left over tmax 400 (I think that that's the number, might be wrong) that was left over from when I took a photography class a few years ago, but my only problem is I have no clue where to go to go get it developed. I really don't want to do it myself, mainly because of the fact that I really don't have a room I my house that's dark enough to do so. Does any one have any suggestions or know of a website that will do it for a decent price or are there any nj photo goons who know of an place that will do it for a decent price?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

QPZIL posted:

That's what he's saying.

Negative scan in Vuescan, invert and correct in LR.

...I think.

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. LR does have the capability to work with negatives, although once you invert the tone curve you have to treat all the sliders as the reverse of what they normally do. No doubt the faulty part at the moment is me and I'll get there with practice.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm slowly but surely getting back into shooting with film. I'm going to do it so that I can get used to shooting in m mode on my dslr.

Can I least get mad at this?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

I'm slowly but surely getting back into shooting with film. I'm going to do it so that I can get used to shooting in m mode on my dslr. I have some left over tmax 400 (I think that that's the number, might be wrong) that was left over from when I took a photography class a few years ago, but my only problem is I have no clue where to go to go get it developed. I really don't want to do it myself, mainly because of the fact that I really don't have a room I my house that's dark enough to do so. Does any one have any suggestions or know of a website that will do it for a decent price or are there any nj photo goons who know of an place that will do it for a decent price?

1) If you want to get used to shooting in M mode on your DSLR, shoot in M mode on your DSLR. :getout:
2) You can develop film in daylight tanks.
3) There are very few reasons not to do B&W development yourself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

gently caress yes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

gently caress yes.

This but ironically.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Developing black-and-white at home doesn't require a room that can be made dark. You can do everything that needs darkness (NOT PRINTING! I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PRINTING! JUST DEVELOPING FILM!) in a changing bag. You'll need the chemicals (you can get small bottles for not too much money, if you're not sure you'll keep going with this), a tank & reel(s), the bag, some way to pry open a film cannister (bottle opener works well), a pair of scissors, and some way to measure out the chemicals so you get the concentrations right. I'll assume you have access to a way to keep track of time.

McMadCow posted:

Why get mad about somebody's excuse for turning a dial on a camera? If someone feels they need to use film to force themselves to develop certain skills that they will later apply to digital photography, why would that annoy somebody else?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

(NOT PRINTING! I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PRINTING! JUST DEVELOPING FILM!)

I'm angry about this.
Who ever thought it was a good idea to begin using the word "develop" to mean "produce little postcard-sized prints" instead of refer to a chemical process? "We develop your digital photos" no gently caress you, you print them.
Developing exposed film produces negatives. Developing exposed photographic paper produces a print of the negative exposed onto it. But developing a film does not produce loving prints.

:commissar:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

I'm angry about this.
Who ever thought it was a good idea to begin using the word "develop" to mean "produce little postcard-sized prints" instead of refer to a chemical process? "We develop your digital photos" no gently caress you, you print them.
Developing exposed film produces negatives. Developing exposed photographic paper produces a print of the negative exposed onto it. But developing a film does not produce loving prints.

I too am angry at Walmart's photo lab ad copy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pointless photograph-related anger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw
:argh: DO NOT loving SHAKE POLAROID PICTURES. They don't work that way! :argh:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Why get mad about somebody's excuse for turning a dial on a camera? If someone feels they need to use film to force themselves to develop certain skills that they will later apply to digital photography, why would that annoy somebody else?

Because it's the Internet, I need to express disproportionate anger at everything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nielsm posted:

Counterpoint: slides, Polaroids

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 7, 2013

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

This was what I was going to come here to make more clear. I want to learn how to shoot properly, instead of just pointing the camera and shooting. I did it once back when I was in college, but I since have lost my way and want to start shooting film again before I go into the digital world.

I found a place that will develop the film for like $10 +shipping and handling. I might give them a try and see how they do.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

This was what I was going to come here to make more clear. I want to learn how to shoot properly, instead of just pointing the camera and shooting. I did it once back when I was in college, but I since have lost my way and want to start shooting film again before I go into the digital world.

I found a place that will develop the film for like $10 +shipping and handling. I might give them a try and see how they do.

That seems really loving expensive compared to developing at home if you plan on doing any significant amount of shooting.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I think I just found my first tattoo.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

That seems really loving expensive compared to developing at home if you plan on doing any significant amount of shooting.

What about making prints then? This is where I'm kind of confused. Most people don't have the same technology that they have in labs to do it at home.. So how do they do it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Making prints requires additional equipment and a dark room. You can develop film without a darkroom, you just need some chemicals, a changing bag and a daylight development tank. For colour film maybe some way to control water temperature, for B&W you don't really need that. 8th-samurai wrote a pretty decent guide on the very first page of this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270#post344262317

I think most people here develop their own B&W, some people also do their own colour film, and a few do prints also. Have a look through the thread, there's loads of information.

e: or just send it off, but $10 a roll seems a lot. I pay £3 a roll for 35mm or 120 colour negative film, slide film is a bit more.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 7, 2013

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Making black and white prints at home is pretty easy. Could probably even get everything you need on craigslist for $100 dollars these days. Same chemicals as developing, you just need a spot that is big enough for an enlarger and some trays of chemicals. Oh and it has to be pretty dark. Color on the other hand is possible to do at home it's just quite a bit more complicated. e-6 and other processes probably not DIY unless you are a chem wizard and slightly insane.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

e: or just send it off, but $10 a roll seems a lot. I pay £3 a roll for 35mm or 120 colour negative film, slide film is a bit more.

where?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/c41-film-process-only-58-c.asp

Doesn't include return delivery, but they send you postage paid bags for your film. Or if you're ordering from their shop (http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/) you can combine postage.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

What about making prints then? This is where I'm kind of confused. Most people don't have the same technology that they have in labs to do it at home.. So how do they do it?

I upload tiffs to adoramapix.com and some prints show up in the mail a few days later.

:feelsgood:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Send it off to Digital Silver Imaging, get back silver gelatin prints :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

copen posted:

e-6 and other processes probably not DIY unless you are a chem wizard and slightly insane.

If you can manage colour neg you can manage e6, there's just a few extra baths. You can even do it in three baths if you use the tetenal home kits (not sure how the results compare to the 7 bath process).