Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

ferretsrule posted:

Is there a way to setup forwarding only email addresses that doesn't require setting up a full MTA?

*most* domain registrars allow you to do this through your management panel. If in doubt, submit a ticket and they should be able to tell you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

ferretsrule posted:

Is there a way to setup forwarding only email addresses that doesn't require setting up a full MTA?

Is your dns running via PowerDNS?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

DarkLotus posted:

*most* domain registrars allow you to do this through your management panel. If in doubt, submit a ticket and they should be able to tell you how.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the domain management, although I suppose I could get it if there is no other solution.

3spades posted:

Is your dns running via PowerDNS?
It isn't :(

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I'm getting tired of my host's firewall constantly blocking my home network and having to get them to fix it, so I'm looking for a new host.

Do any of the recommended hosts allow for push e-mail to my iPhone? Is it even possible to do that without some sort of IMAP or Exchange?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

BDawg posted:

I'm getting tired of my host's firewall constantly blocking my home network and having to get them to fix it, so I'm looking for a new host.

Do any of the recommended hosts allow for push e-mail to my iPhone? Is it even possible to do that without some sort of IMAP or Exchange?

You're not likely to find it with Linux based shared hosting providers as push notifications are very resource intensive and most will recommend or only support pop3 / imap.
As for you're IP being blacklisted, this typically happens when you've had too many failed logins. At Lithium Hosting, we provide our customers with an easy to use interface to unblock themselves in the event of an accidental block.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
What's the best practice for rotating site backups?

I've got multiple sites running on one VPS, and I tried to get the rsync scripts that are out there working for a few days before I got frustrated and wrote up a quick "dumb" backup script which tars up each site directory and places them in a backups folder on the same server. I realize this is not ideal, but I figured working dumb backups are better than non-working smart rsync backups.

The problem I'm running into is that now the server is filling up to capacity with the result that Apache can't even start up.

I like the idea of "dumb" backups simply because it's nice to know that if I want to restore a backup all I have to do is delete all the files from a public_html folder, and untar a file directly into it.

So what does everyone else do? Any better tutorials for rotating rsync backups? Any suggestions for offsite backup storage?

(The VPS runs Ubuntu, and I'm running the usual Apache and MySQL and WordPress hodge podge.)

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

I haven't used it but have you looked at rdiff-backup? (Manpage)

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure why you call them dumb backups. The way you described is exactly how I backup my VPS's. Write a script that dumps tar files into a new folder with a date on it. At home I have another script which pulls the new folder a few hours after it is created. I've gone through the steps of restoring everything a few times, so I know it all works. What's dumb about that?

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

3spades posted:

I haven't used it but have you looked at rdiff-backup? (Manpage)
I haven't looked into this, but I will.

Comatoast posted:

I'm not sure why you call them dumb backups. The way you described is exactly how I backup my VPS's. Write a script that dumps tar files into a new folder with a date on it. At home I have another script which pulls the new folder a few hours after it is created. I've gone through the steps of restoring everything a few times, so I know it all works. What's dumb about that?
I put "dumb" in quotes to differentiate it from doing an rsync (or similar) backup, which is "smart" about which files it actually copies and which files need only be hard-linked... not actually saying the method itself is dumb :-)

Still searching for a good way to host backups off site. Any opinions?

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Still searching for a good way to host backups off site. Any opinions?

If you don't mind paying there is Bacula 4 Hosts or find someone reselling the glorious turd that is idera (formally r1soft).

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I run spideroak in headless mode, it works well but doesn't record file permissions

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Rumors from a few people that IBM just announced it's acquisition of SoftLayer.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

ichorclaw posted:

Rumors from a few people that IBM just announced it's acquisition of SoftLayer.

Here

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know if softlayer is any good but it will almost certainly be poo poo very soon :v:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Is there any reason why http://www.cloudsouth.com/dedicated-servers-landing/?gclid=CObw4NrMzbcCFQyg4Aod7RUAJg is bad other then it using older hardware? Thats not that much more then I pay for my VPS.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

plesk remote shell 0day http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Jun/21

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Stealthgerbil posted:

Is there any reason why http://www.cloudsouth.com/dedicated-servers-landing/?gclid=CObw4NrMzbcCFQyg4Aod7RUAJg is bad other then it using older hardware? Thats not that much more then I pay for my VPS.

Anyway of checking to see if their network stayed up when hurricanes hit their area?

I'd be a little weary of their location. Don't know how critical your hosting is though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Anyway of checking to see if their network stayed up when hurricanes hit their area?

I'd be a little weary of their location. Don't know how critical your hosting is though.

There are a bunch of hosts in Florida aren't there?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

There are a bunch of hosts in Florida aren't there?

Yeah, but I'd still be nervous hosting something really vital in the area. Unless I had a good reason. But if I found other hosts of similar quality and price, I might want to stay clear of a hurricane area.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Well its mainly just that since I started hosting some services for people I am getting close to using the ram my VPS has when there is heavy load. I was thinking of upgrading to a better VPS but it will start getting close to the price of a cheap dedicated server. However I assume that if I want to host stuff, I am going to need a decent connection. I doubt I could host multiple game servers from a 100mbit connection, especially ones with like 32+ players in each and 1000mbit dedicated servers are expensive. Essentially what I am doing is hosting game servers for friends and they are pitching in but I would like to expand it to the public and actually be able to generate money to pay for a decent server. Plus I have been messing around with setting up hosting. Either way I will need room to expand. Luckily upgrading my VPS is nearly instant and it has been really quick. Its tempting to just get the 6 core, 6gb of ram, 600gb HD, 6tb of bandwidth for $100 a month since the service has been really good so far. I just need to figure out some way to generate the cost or it will be expensive to run.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 6, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Galler posted:

I don't know if softlayer is any good but it will almost certainly be poo poo very soon :v:

Well, at least it's not Lenovo taking over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How long does it take Rackspace to replace a dead firewall? Let's find out...

Going on 39 minutes. :argh:

update: 49 minutes downtime and all they did was reboot the firewall because they sent a datacenter guy to replace it, but "they couldn't get to it"

The bad part is it takes 25 minutes for them to even figure out what it is. The guy we were talking to on the phone was clueless. "Firewall? I thought you said your -servers- were down?"

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2013

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Hmm. Anyone have any ideas why an Ubuntu machine with several virtualhosts, each running WordPress, wouldn't be working with mail? That is, I have (for example) Gravity Forms installed on a few of the sites and none of the submissions are being sent to the correct people.

I went through some tutorials on setting up sendmail, then postfix, then sendmail, then Exim. I can now send mail from the server using something like "echo 'test' | mail -s Test me@gmail.com" but the WordPress sites still seem to not be working. Help!

(Also the above post reminds me that it has been worth all this trouble migrating all of our sites from Rackspace. Yeesh.)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Hmm. Anyone have any ideas why an Ubuntu machine with several virtualhosts, each running WordPress, wouldn't be working with mail? That is, I have (for example) Gravity Forms installed on a few of the sites and none of the submissions are being sent to the correct people.

I went through some tutorials on setting up sendmail, then postfix, then sendmail, then Exim. I can now send mail from the server using something like "echo 'test' | mail -s Test me@gmail.com" but the WordPress sites still seem to not be working. Help!

(Also the above post reminds me that it has been worth all this trouble migrating all of our sites from Rackspace. Yeesh.)
Per-vhost.
code:
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
    php_admin_value sendmail_path "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f [email]wordpress@fq.dn[/email]"
</IfModule>

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Just picked up the cheapest dedicated from ovh. I'm excited to see how much this can handle.

ooms
Dec 9, 2009

Stealthgerbil posted:

On a datacenter level there isn't any reason why you wouldn't choose them over someone else if this is the area you are looking for.
Their prices are a little higher than other datacenters, but they are a tier 4 data center.

I have been looking at space there, and the CEO goes above and beyond to help you.

I don't know what blend they use for their shared line.

Level 3: 4.30.20.86
FPL: 208.67.166.242

But that's the blend I was looking at getting for my racks.

If you want help finding a good deal PM me.
Let me know what you are looking for and where you want it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

So completely novice question:

My mom has a new domain for a new site, new.org. The new site is not done so she wants to point it to the old domain and its site, old.org. How can I redirect/forward via the DNS settings? I have access to the DNS settings on the new domain but not the old. She has not bought hosting for the new domain either so I can't configure .htaccess.

Thank you in advance.

E: what I've done so far is set the CNAME for new.org to resolve to old.org. Is that right? It's not working but I just changed it five minutes ago so maybe it needs time to propagate?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 9, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

So completely novice question:

My mom has a new domain for a new site, new.org. The new site is not done so she wants to point it to the old domain and its site, old.org. How can I redirect/forward via the DNS settings? I have access to the DNS settings on the new domain but not the old. She has not bought hosting for the new domain either so I can't configure .htaccess.

Thank you in advance.

E: what I've done so far is set the CNAME for new.org to resolve to old.org. Is that right? It's not working but I just changed it five minutes ago so maybe it needs time to propagate?

It's going to take a couple hours to propagate, depending on your DNS provider.

In the meantime you can make an entry at the end of your hosts file that looks something like:

12.34.56.78 new.org

Where 12.34.56.78 is the IP address you have old.org pointing to. But I don't think that will work if you are using a server that is hosting many websites on one IP address - the request has to come in for 'old.org', not 'new.org'. Maybe in the old hosts control panel you can put new.org in there.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Don't have access to that unfortunately. This web.com service loving blows in terms of what it allows you to change. Anywho, what I have done is created a CNAME for www.new.org to www.old.org as stated above, and pointed the A record of new.org to the IP of old.org.

We shall see.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
If you want to redirect the old domain to the new, wouldn't you want the redirect .htaccess on the old server? something like

Redirect 301 / http://new.org/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

BJA posted:

If you want to redirect the old domain to the new, wouldn't you want the redirect .htaccess on the old server? something like

Redirect 301 / http://new.org/

Don't have access to htaccess. I only have the web.com control panel.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

Do you have access to the virtualhost for the old server so you can add a 'ServerAlias new.org www.new.org' ? Are you able to see your logs to even see if that site is getting hits for new? If there is more than 1 site on the ip, its falling to the default virtualhost or (if default is not defined) the first vhost alphabetically. If you are getting hits for the new domain can probably do a rewrite forward
code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.newdomain.com [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^newdomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.olddomain.com/$1 [r=301,L]

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

^ he pretty clearly doesn't have access to that

deposit like $2 in nearlyfreespeech.net and host a static page that just does <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://old.com/">

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Milkie Galore posted:

^ he pretty clearly doesn't have access to that

deposit like $2 in nearlyfreespeech.net and host a static page that just does <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://old.com/">

I had no idea I could get a host for that cheap. Might go that route.

But those DNS changes I made wont work? Seems like they haven't yet. I'll give it another 9 hours or so.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

it won't work - the server isn't configured to respond to requests for new.com

web.com is shared hosting and you don't get your own IP, which is the only way this could possibly work without reconfiguration

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I just signed up with http://www.smarterasp.net/ for their 60-day trial. Took about 15 minutes and I had my ASP.NET site running with no hassle. Neat if you want to test the waters with a site.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Wow, 60 pages.

Erm, currently I'm with Dreamhost. Have been for a long time. Just for personal stuff, just I'm a power user, so it's nice to have a Linux backend and some (minimal) Linux bits and bobs I can do and shell access. I use it as a storage dumping ground as well.

However I also run a couple of forums, nothing on the scale of SA so no, I don't need a super mega cluster of dedicated hosts. We're talking 2 tiny little forums for friends with about 5 active users. But their MySQL servers (each forum is listed as being on a separate one) are so slow to respond these days. I'm impatient, and frequently waiting like 5-10 seconds for my forum to load is getting a bit old.

Should I just stick with them and pester them about slowness?

I was considering JaguarPC as I've heard they're good, similar to Dreamhost but cheaper and ironically, possibly better. I was going to at least try them out, but my experience so far is
1) Try to sign up for a 1 month on paypal, it tries to bill me for 12 months
2) Try again, it does it again
3) Try again with credit card, it gives an unspecified (blank) billing error
4) Attempt to contact them via 24/7 live chat, find that it's not as 24/7 as it says and have to leave a message, which seemed to go into a black hole
5) Contact them again via chat today and the guy can't do anything and tells me to email the sales address to organise payment details
6) Find I can log in by sending myself a reset password request (I hadn't paid yet so it hadn't given me access yet)
7) See 3 duplicate accounts, with invoices for the full 12 months.
8) Cancel all 3 accounts, the cancellation requests so far seem to have gone into a black hole

Can't say I'm impressed.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 10, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ask if they'll move you to another server. If that doesn't work and you're not using some huge amount of disk space, get a VPS.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
A lot of those cheaper VPS hosts will offer you MySQL hosting for somewhere between $0-$1 a month, not a bad idea for small sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

GargleBlaster posted:

I was considering JaguarPC as I've heard they're good, similar to Dreamhost but cheaper and ironically, possibly better. I was going to at least try them out, but my experience so far is

Kind of surprising, but I rarely ever need to use the support, been a while since I have submitted a ticket to them for something (been with them since 2009), but I read some complaints on their forums about slow support, and I also saw a few days ago they are trying to hire a bunch of people, and also that their new billing/support system isn't working like they want. Of course I probably wouldn't use them if I had this experience. I have been looking for better deals lately but haven't found a cpanel/whm vps with a better price so far.