Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
our network asks sots to be around -6db with -2db peaks and nats/music to be in that range if they're the focal point but apparently they've been doing LKFS metering for like, at least the last year and none of our shows have been rejected (until now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

check out the wtf with dave grohl they talk about the same thing and it's cool

good deal, grabbing it now

man do i envy marc. talking to cool people as a part of your job just seems like it would own so much. he's done a ton of really awesome shows.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i cant stand him

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

chumpchous posted:

i cant stand him

your loss brah

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah I don't care if it's authentic to how it would really sound stop making me gently caress with the volume when I'm watching a movie so i don't wake up the neighbors screaming kids

i really wish there was a way to compress sound on the fly

when did we decided dynamic range was bad for music and good for movies

If you plug up via RCA cables, Dolby digital is supposed to apply a 3:1 compressor on your cinema mix to get the dynamic range to only be 3 dB in a full 12 dB mix.

Basically don't use optical unless you spent more than 200$ on speakers.

Also I've seen the dialogue metadata flag set wrong on some older discs so that could cause problems when you play back that one weirde old mix.

Most units have some sort of internal dynamic range compression override but good luck finding it. Every manufacturer calls it something stupid that makes no sense like "night mode" or some Bs

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
any dolby digital capable receiver should have SOME dynamic range control but yeah good luck finding yours. sometimes it's midnight, sometimes quiet mode...ugh. consult yr. manual i suppose

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

Every manufacturer calls it something stupid that makes no sense like "night mode" or some Bs

is that what that loving thing is? gently caress

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The worst is when your cable box has a compressor on the audio and then Your tv has a maximizer running as well.

Basically dialogue gets so low that you can't hear it but then the background noise is so loud that is practically blows your speakers.

Good times for audio engineers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

The worst is when your cable box has a compressor on the audio and then Your tv has a maximizer running as well.

Basically dialogue gets so low that you can't hear it but then the background noise is so loud that is practically blows your speakers.

Good times for audio engineers.

It's that sort of thing you almost can't worry about. Almost.

I left the compressor off on my cable box because if you play through decent (e.g., not TV speakers) the background noise becomes a constant low rumble. How people don't notice that is beyond me. Oh right, most of them use the tiny downward facing TV speakers you can't hear anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

pagancow posted:

If you plug up via RCA cables, Dolby digital is supposed to apply a 3:1 compressor on your cinema mix to get the dynamic range to only be 3 dB in a full 12 dB mix.

Basically don't use optical unless you spent more than 200$ on speakers.

Also I've seen the dialogue metadata flag set wrong on some older discs so that could cause problems when you play back that one weirde old mix.

Most units have some sort of internal dynamic range compression override but good luck finding it. Every manufacturer calls it something stupid that makes no sense like "night mode" or some Bs

i use analog digital out from my htpc and it still does it and i have paradigm studio series speakers

i still hate it and use a drat equalizer within windows because it annoys the piss out of me

i doubt my receiver has this super secret feature but please let me know if it does as it's old as piss
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2200_black__u/?mode=model

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i hope whoever invented whisper quiet dialogue/gigantic booming sound effects for everything, died painfully

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You kids and your loud movies!!! Get off my lawn!!!

edit: Also, drat you kids for mixing your movies so it actually takes advantage of the range my nice set up offers! I want everything mixed like stereo VHS again! I didn't go and spend all this money so I could have actual decent sound!

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 6, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Doc Block posted:

edit: Also, drat you kids for mixing your movies so it actually takes advantage of the range my nice set up offers! I want everything mixed like stereo VHS again! I didn't go and spend all this money so I could have actual decent sound!

problem is i live in an apartment and to hear the voices i have to have my receiver at around -10 and those loud booms get me in trouble when the subwoofer kicks in

i'm literally half-deaf in my right ear

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Doc Block posted:

making the voices ridiculously quiet and the other noises ridiculously loud isnt actually taking advantage of the range.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Its legit.

Anybody who is a Professional Photographer basically does this.

I say Professional as in "I do this to make a living"

I'm a professional Video Editor/Encoder

I'm just a hobbyist shooter.

lol if you think professionals all shoot in jpg

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

tbqh the thing i loving hate about holywood mixing is how they make the voices so quiet but ALL THE EXPLOSIONS ARE AT MAX loving VOLUME!!!!

it's so immersive man!!!!!!

being half-deaf makes watching most any movie impossible unless i gently caress with a 5.1 mixer and tune everything but the center channel down by like -15db

this has gotten so bad that i just gave up on dolby digital/surround sound completely and run everything in "All Channel Stereo" mode, which means explosions, vocals, music, etc. are all the same in every speaker. yeah it's not the ~true movie experience~ but holding the controller the entire duration of the movie to increase/decrease the volume got old really fast.

the worst is my cable box that does this; old crappy late 90s TV shows pumping EVERYTHING only through the center speaker so that when commercials come on i am greeted with a blast of 5 speakers trying to sell me cereal. i havent found a work around for that yet; i might literally have to revert back to RCA audio again :negative:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

flyboi posted:

i use analog digital out from my htpc and it still does it and i have paradigm studio series speakers

i still hate it and use a drat equalizer within windows because it annoys the piss out of me

i doubt my receiver has this super secret feature but please let me know if it does as it's old as piss
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2200_black__u/?mode=model

thats because you're using a drat PC that probablly uses FFDshow for it's AC3 decoder instead of a real one made from the Dolby SDK

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

flyboi posted:

problem is i live in an apartment and to hear the voices i have to have my receiver at around -10 and those loud booms get me in trouble when the subwoofer kicks in

i'm literally half-deaf in my right ear

If the subwoofer kicks in other than when the LFE track calls for it to play then you're doing it wrong.

The LFE never kicks in unless they want to physically shake the room.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Install Gentoo posted:

making the voices ridiculously quiet and the other noises ridiculously loud isnt actually taking advantage of the range.

The whole definition of "dynamic range" is "how big of a difference is there between the quietest thing, and the loudest thing"

every +3dB is twice as loud

a movie which mixes their dialogue at -12dB FS (0 is full blast) could potentially get 16 times louder than the mix of the dialogue.

Guns/explosions/etc are more than 16 times louder than normal 60dB speaking voice. 72dB is barely a yelling voice.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Most Movies are 12 dB in room from dialogue to 0

Most games are 8 dB in room from dialogue to 0

Most TV shows are 3dB in room from dialogue to 0

Most Music is has 1dB of headroom because yall fuckers think it sounds better.

Dolby Digital solves this Dynamic range problem by reducing it if the user requests, or plugs into a lovely medium.

You can't un-do dynamic range compression and that's why music people are angry, as they are stuck with a mix that is designed for lovely headphones and will never feel good on bigger system.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow posted:

The whole definition of "dynamic range" is "how big of a difference is there between the quietest thing, and the loudest thing"

a movie which mixes their dialogue at -12dB FS (0 is full blast) could potentially get 16 times louder than the mix of the dialogue.

Guns/explosions/etc are more than 16 times louder than normal 60dB speaking voice. 72dB is barely a yelling voice.

Okay I take this back, it could potentially get up to 81 dB if ALL OF THE SPEAKERS are firing a tone at 72dB.

81 Is p loud.

But realistically it's going to be about 60-80dB and that 80dB will be TOUCHED only when something really big explodes, in ALL OF THE SPEAKERS w/ music, and w/ someone screaming all at the same time.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

haha like you got 6 speakers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flyboi posted:

WMP has "quiet mode" which is the same thing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

is there a simple way to dynamic range compression on mp4 files. i have a poo poo setup and that's how i like it, gently caress cinema mixes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah is there any good way to kill that dynamic range that sucks so much on some older music?

just kidding, im trying to "stir the pos" so to speak

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nomnom Cookie posted:

is there a simple way to dynamic range compression on mp4 files. i have a poo poo setup and that's how i like it, gently caress cinema mixes

Set it up in your hardware chain?

TVs almost always have some level of DRC in them. Audio Receivers usually do too.

Also if you're in a room that is hardwood floors with stone flat walls, it will always sound like poo poo hth

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
homeopathic music dynamic range... 30c successions of encoding into 32k mono MP3 then reencoding back into FLAC

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

pagancow posted:

thats because you're using a drat PC that probablly uses FFDshow for it's AC3 decoder instead of a real one made from the Dolby SDK

lol no it's windows media center's cable control thingy

all my cable tv comes in through ~magic~

i'm not a sperg who setup a htpc to watch my mkv animes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly I wish they'd make it a quasi-requirement that your Blu-ray or whatever have a 2.0 track in much the same way iTunes purchases have a mandatory 2.0 AAC track. Like the Dolby Headphone mix a precious few number of movies have. I mean, back in DVD's early days even loving Criterion was refusing to put out widescreen enhanced DVDs specifically because almost no one had equipment for it and the 4:3 crushing that DVD players did loving sucked, now all of a sudden it's like "nope can't afford to put a 200 meg 192kbps 2.0 audio track on a 50 gig disc" :psyduck: They literally released something like 50 movies before they finally went anamorphic and only reissued a handful of the earlier discs (Charade and Brazil got reissued, and Yojimbo/Sanjuro eventually got better editions).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flyboi posted:

lol no it's windows media center's cable control thingy

all my cable tv comes in through ~magic~

i'm not a sperg who setup a htpc to watch my mkv animes

nah ur beyond sperg using a cable card and an hdhomerun prime. p.s. the newer firmwares have dlna support and support for whatever the drm extensions for dlna are so maybe sometime in the future we'll be able to watch stuff w/out wmc. Not that wmc is bad, it would just be nice to be able to watch something on other devices or maybe make it easier to decrypt and stream it elsewhere.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
ya it kinda works i have the beta firmware on mine but samsung sucks at dlna and i can't use it on my smart tv

works fine on the ps3 though, just really obnoxious without a guide

sucks balls on ipad tho because lol no mpeg 2 acceleration

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 6, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nah ur beyond sperg using a cable card and an hdhomerun prime. p.s. the newer firmwares have dlna support and support for whatever the drm extensions for dlna are so maybe sometime in the future we'll be able to watch stuff w/out wmc. Not that wmc is bad, it would just be nice to be able to watch something on other devices or maybe make it easier to decrypt and stream it elsewhere.

watch one ur xbox 360 windows media extender software for windows 8 windows media center pcs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

Honestly I wish they'd make it a quasi-requirement that your Blu-ray or whatever have a 2.0 track in much the same way iTunes purchases have a mandatory 2.0 AAC track. Like the Dolby Headphone mix a precious few number of movies have. I mean, back in DVD's early days even loving Criterion was refusing to put out widescreen enhanced DVDs specifically because almost no one had equipment for it and the 4:3 crushing that DVD players did loving sucked, now all of a sudden it's like "nope can't afford to put a 200 meg 192kbps 2.0 audio track on a 50 gig disc" :psyduck: They literally released something like 50 movies before they finally went anamorphic and only reissued a handful of the earlier discs (Charade and Brazil got reissued, and Yojimbo/Sanjuro eventually got better editions).

Having multiple Mixes is usually a waste of time and disk space

What's a better solution:

Your TV doing the DRC on its own becuase you hooked up via RCA?

Or:

User selecting the 2.0 mix because they just want to watch a loving movie after working all day?

hmmm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

every Comcast Cable box I've seen has some level of DRC on by default. You had to turn it off if you wanted your movies not to sound like poo poo.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

Set it up in your hardware chain?

TVs almost always have some level of DRC in them. Audio Receivers usually do too.

Also if you're in a room that is hardwood floors with stone flat walls, it will always sound like poo poo hth

hardware chain. heh. my "hardware chain" is an appletv hooked to a tv. sometimes dvdrips i download will have too much dynamic range and i need an easy way to make the dialogue louder

like does ffmpeg have a DRC filter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flyboi posted:

ya it kinda works i have the beta firmware on mine but samsung sucks at dlna and i can't use it on my smart tv

works fine on the ps3 though, just really obnoxious without a guide

sucks balls on ipad tho because lol no mpeg 2 acceleration

I got my parents a hdhomerun prime (lol) and they have one of those newer Samsung tvs and it didn't work their either. but lmao @ ios not being able to decode mpeg2

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

pagancow posted:

+3 dB is twice the power, but it takes +10 dB to be twice as loud

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hardware chain. heh. my "hardware chain" is an appletv hooked to a tv. sometimes dvdrips i download will have too much dynamic range and i need an easy way to make the dialogue louder

like does ffmpeg have a DRC filter

you could compile it in hahahahhahah

just use your TV's DRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

+3 dB is twice the power, but it takes +10 dB to be twice as loud

Oops you're right about +10db for "percieved loudness" level. So yeah there isn't as much dynamic range as I thought!

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

3dB is correct about doubling the power.

• Locked thread