Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Look at this wide range of variance! Remember, conventionally attractive is the only attractive acceptable in these funnybooks. Learn anything else and you might as well not wank at all to what you draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

This dude's art is terrible.

The faces are obviously J. Scott Campbell-inspired. I've always had a soft spot for Campbell's art, despite all his obvious flaws, but this guy... not so much.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Isn't "Christopher Hart" one of those house names? The art in those drat things never looks the same between books.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I honestly don't think that art is that bad. A bit generic, but really, it's still better than some of the junk that gets printed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Heresiarch posted:

Isn't "Christopher Hart" one of those house names? The art in those drat things never looks the same between books.

As far as I can tell, the only art he's ever published has been in his own how-to books. I dunno what motivates people to buy them really.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Christopher heart is only scratching the surface of children's drawing book hackery.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god there is actually a "Draw Furries" book. :psyduck:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

^Yeah, that looks about identical to the book section of my local Michael's.

Speaking of Chris Hart, can you spot what's wrong in these pictures?

I personally think "hack" is a polite understatement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel so unclean.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EgoEgress posted:

Ah yes, the Pectoralis Boobis muscle group.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Draw Shojo Girls? Draw Girl Girls? That doesn't seem all that helpful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EgoEgress posted:

1 - yes the boob is probably not normally made of solid bands of muscle although to be honest I have never cut one open to check.

2 - Mommy why is the wolf's foot on backwards? That looks so obviously lovely I dunno what would prompt him to draw that so wrong TWICE, intentionally. The rest of it, whatever style I dunno but what the gently caress is with the backwards foot?

3 - Apparently she is like a hyena furry because her back legs are about a foot and a half too short (even accounting for perspective they look way too short). Since she's got her arms going straight down, evidently her knees are directly under them, so umm :aaaaa:

e: Really even his manga drawings are pretty terrible and lowest-common-denominator but I guess he knows who is buying his books.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 3, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

1 - yes the boob is probably not normally made of solid bands of muscle although to be honest I have never cut one open to check.
Thankfully, others have who will gladly confirm that there's no muscle in breasts!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if is Bane or the perspective what's hosed up :psyduck:

Shame, I like Guillem March's work

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Flesh Forge posted:

Since no woman can jiggle her boobs without moving the rest of her body, I'd say you're correct.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't know if is Bane or the perspective what's hosed up :psyduck:

Shame, I like Guillem March's work

Both probably-it looks like he's controlling those wires ala Doctor Octopus.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That Bane is pretty sweet and stylish. This thread gets weirdly nitpicky sometimes.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

I think you can make an exception for overly muscular 90's-like imagery when it comes to Bane because he's supposed to look ridiculous, right?

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
It's also supposed to be one of those 3D covers from Villains Month which is why the perspective looks off.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Humboldt squid posted:

Christopher heart is only scratching the surface of children's drawing book hackery.

All of the anime ones are terrible, but the one in the upper right is hilariously bad.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EgoEgress posted:

Cool Christopher Hart fact:

"Hart has had the top selling art book in the United States for over a year, continuously ("Manga Mania," published by Random House. In addition, he has had the top 1, 2 and 3 art books in the country, simultaneously (Manga Mania, Anime Mania, and Drawing Cutting Edge Comics, published by Random House). His most recent series on drawing manga, "Manga for the Beginner," appeared on Bookscan's Top 50 list in the Art Category for two straight years; in addition, every title in the 4-book series has appeared on Bookscan's top 50 list, with three of them having appeared simultaneously."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

GorfZaplen posted:

All of the anime ones are terrible, but the one in the upper right is hilariously bad.
Seriously, that's pretty much a dead ringer for an off-brand video game's interpretation of some jrpg circa 199p.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

7744 posted:

It's also supposed to be one of those 3D covers from Villains Month which is why the perspective looks off.

Does that explain the computer-generated blur on the cables? Because that looks awful and hurts my eyes.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Baron Bifford posted:

Since no woman can jiggle her boobs without moving the rest of her body, I'd say you're correct.

That's not strictly true it just requires really strong pecs.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

EvilMuppet posted:

That's not strictly true it just requires really strong pecs.
I'd like to see some video evidence of this. :pervert:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I can decide if I like or dislike the cover for the next issue of The Walking Dead:

On the one hand, Neegan's face seems a little off from how he's usually drawn, but on the other hand, it goes give off a nice sense of the menace and :gonk: "What has he done?!" :gonk: that defines the character.

I'm on the fence about this one.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mister Roboto posted:

I honestly don't think that art is that bad. A bit generic, but really, it's still better than some of the junk that gets printed.

Right but it's the "all women have to be hot and thin" dictum that people were objecting to.

OldMemes posted:

I'm on the fence about this one.

The pencils and inks are killer, that spooky leer alone is doing as much for it as the blood and the knife. There's a really prominent coloring fuckup on the nose though :( and the blood looks flat and computery in general. Probably cause it just slightly shifts value with the face and jacket? If it were bolder it would read as graphic but with the photoshoppy transparency & gradient effects it just reads as failed realism to me.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Have I mentioned how much I love Francisco Francavilla? (click to fullsize)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I absolutely love Francavilla's art, but sometimes I wish someone would explain the full breadth of the color wheel to him.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain

Ramon Villalobos
I like to imagine Thor's bro-ness is what made Loki hate him.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I thought Thor had stuffed his head down his socks at first.

VVV Loki's head is laying across Thor's upper leg, his horns must be angled pretty flat to end up pointing where they are. It really does look like he's got Thor's leg for a head though.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 6, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Those are really stylish and stuff but I cannot parse what is going on with Loki's head. I can see the horns, yeah, but Thor's manly, meaty thigh is where Loki's head is. Like, in the same place. Help.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

leg bones posted:

Ramon Villalobos
I like to imagine Thor's bro-ness is what made Loki hate him.

His batman reminds me a lot of Rafael Grampa's.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Those are really stylish and stuff but I cannot parse what is going on with Loki's head. I can see the horns, yeah, but Thor's manly, meaty thigh is where Loki's head is. Like, in the same place. Help.

I'm thinking he's using his thigh to push Loki's head forward.

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
whoa, rafael grampa is pretty awesome.

bonus batman: year 100 by paul pope

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

leg bones posted:

whoa, rafael grampa is pretty awesome.

bonus batman: year 100 by paul pope

If you've never checked it out, he did a short Wolverine story in Strange Tales 2 for Marvel.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
More importantly, his book Mesmo Delivery is one of the most beautifully violent comics of recent memory.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love how he draws costumes. Instead of custom-tailored skin-tight spandex, his heroes wear stuff that, you know, someone would wear. Especially that Daredevil one with the sweats and the training gloves.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Choco1980 posted:

I love how he draws costumes. Instead of custom-tailored skin-tight spandex, his heroes wear stuff that, you know, someone would wear. Especially that Daredevil one with the sweats and the training gloves.

The Wolverine costume in that sketch is far and away the best version I've seen. Dig that bare-knuckle Canadian luchador take. The cowboy boots with the raised heel are a nice nod to the character too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

The problem with that Daredevil is he looks like a tracing of an underwear model. Also Grampa wants to be Frank Quitely, which is not always a good thing.