  • Post
Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Milwaukee

This keeps nagging at me every time it comes up. I think the two lines:

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Might be meant to be taken together rather than separately. I know here in Philadelphia we have inlaid copper plaques in the sidewalk in a couple places, is there any kind of thing like that in Milwaukee with some kind of nature motif?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Goldaline posted:

Milwaukee

This keeps nagging at me every time it comes up. I think the two lines:

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Might be meant to be taken together rather than separately. I know here in Philadelphia we have inlaid copper plaques in the sidewalk in a couple places, is there any kind of thing like that in Milwaukee with some kind of nature motif?

I tried to find one. All I found was a copper plaque in Cathedral Square (a park) which is just words. The other thing I found was a two old copper streetcar rest stops. Only one is on a tiny tiny strip of park.

edit: Anyone else notice the woman in the Milw image is surrounded in blue including the second red ball but none of the other items are?

SECOND EDIT: ALSO THIS IS REALLY COOL http://www.hmdb.org/

crashdome fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

My main issue with the pear/SC flag tree thing is that it doesn't necessarily tell us anything new if it IS true (unless it's really abstractly pointing to Fort Moultrie, which I am willing to keep as a possibility). We know it's in Charleston, SC. I feel like it's much more likely that it means something just as you said: in conjunction with the pine and probably the daisy as well.

Looking back at the verses, I did realize that Verse 5, which has the very strong Citadel call out, could also reference the SC flag. The "single standing member of a forest" would be a tree, and what most famously has one tree but the flag itself? Could indicate a place where the flag would fly (like a fort or government building).

I buy that the daisy is a Palmetto tree, though mostly because I think it's reinforcing Fort Moultrie as the site (with a possible secondary reference to the Sergeant Jasper monument in White Point Gardens, though that's a Huuuuge stretch and unlikely imho). I don't really buy that the pear is the crescent, I think it's more likely a part of some kind of rebus.

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad
Cask 6: Saint Augustine, FL

This is a shot in the dark, but the flag above the rider (assuming it's Ponce de Leon) has been on my mind for a while. Could it be a reference to Flagler College which has a building called Ponce de Leon Hall? The imagery of honking (since there is a highway not far away from the college) as well as sails (since there is a major waterway there too) piqued my curiosity. Just a thought to spark discussion.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Milwaukee

Goddamn, I've spent way too much time thinking about this.

Ok, follow me here...

View the three stories of Mitchell

This is Mitchell Hall on the UW-M campus

As you walk the beating of the world

The campus is split by Hart(heart)ford Ave. Walking along it passes the American Geographical Society Library(world)

At a distance in time

Not sure, is there a clock tower visible at a distance from here?

From three who lived there

As you walk east on Hartford, you cross Downer, Hackett, and Shepard Avenues, named after historical Milwaukee residents.

At a distance in space

Again, not sure. Is there something in the distance that has to do with space from here?

From woman, with harpsichord

As you contiune the walk you come to Marietta Ave.(previously mentioned in the thread as a self portrait of Marietta Robusti)

Silently playing

Walking south on Marietta takes you through an area with a synagogue (Preiss, was Jewish, btw) and I think a library (so be silent).

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Ok, here is where I wish I could put a picture but imgur is not working for me.

Walking south on Marietta brings you to Locust St. (remember there is an image of a locust in the picture) and a block east of that is Lake Park

Now, if you look on a map the are between N.Lake Park rd., E. Ravine Road, and N. Lincoln Memorial looks like a FOOT. Lincoln(copper) Memorial looks like a CAST.
the "foot" is STEPping on the area where I think the casque is.

Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

The grand 200 is the Grand Staircase at Lake Park.
The next 92 steps I'm not sure about, but it could be just walking uphill, rather than actual steps.

The rest of the verse needs to be examined by actually going to the park and looking around to see how it fits.

I think the casque is found by going in a ravine under one of the bridges (there are several) and following the clues to find a tree with some kind of marking on it. at the foot facing south should be where the casque is buried.

I live in Kenosha...I might go up there this weekend and look around.

As a side note...I think the red balls represent Mars. When entering Wisconsin through Kenosha, you see Mars Cheese Castle a pretty famous landmark around here. There is also the Mars building in Milwaukee (on Mitchell street!). Also of note is that the famous Allen-Bradley clock tower is visible from here.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

12_String posted:

Goddamn dude, settle down. This is all for fun, not some loving competition.

So, the overlay shown here (http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148488/1_Park), is just a coincidence?

Not exact, but pretty damned close. Could be some sort of reference point, could be BS.
I'm not angry; I'm just baffled by how blind some people are. Obviously, for something that's gone on this long without being solved needs some serious brainstorming, but picking some spot because it has a single, vague connection is ridiculous. I might as well claim that one is buried in San Francisco's Market st since that daisy clearly is a palm and Market st is known for it's long stretch of palm trees.

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

quote:

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm not angry; I'm just baffled by how blind some people are. Obviously, for something that's gone on this long without being solved needs some serious brainstorming, but picking some spot because it has a single, vague connection is ridiculous. I might as well claim that one is buried in San Francisco's Market st since that daisy clearly is a palm and Market st is known for it's long stretch of palm trees.

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

He's been at this a lot longer than most of us, so shut it (your mouth). He's contributed more info than anyone.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Not to mention I feel we are going in circles or reiterating things already said.

Note to Milwaukee people: The Grand Staircase does NOT have 200 steps.

TipsyMc posted:

Milwaukee

View the three stories of Mitchell

This is Mitchell Hall on the UW-M campus

Also Milwaukee hunters, RE: Mitchel three "stories": http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=38881

That marker is sure to be post-Preiss but the first paragraph reiterates my thoughts I posted on page 20 which, I had written long before seeing this marker. It could be Mitchell Hall but, if so, where are the 92 steps we ascend? My thoughts are we have to view the three buildings from afar. I just stumbled onto something big actually and I will forego posting my lakefront pics instead for something I found recently.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 6, 2013

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Okay. I found this, which even if it isn't related, is kind of nice. It points back at the 7th verse being for San Francisco though. Twain's attention and giant steps are there. Giant pole? Maybe. Not quite in Chinatown as it is today, but not far from it. The park was built 1972. http://goo.gl/maps/2RpE2

Edit: I also found Lotta's Fountain which is cool and I had no idea existed and I have to go see next time I'm in SF.

12_String fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

crashdome posted:

Not to mention I feel we are going in circles or reiterating things already said.

Note to Milwaukee people: The Grand Staircase does NOT have 200 steps.

Also Milwaukee hunters, RE: Mitchel three "stories": http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=38881

That marker is sure to be post-Preiss but the first paragraph reiterates my thoughts I posted on page 20 which, I had written long before seeing this marker. It could be Mitchell Hall but, if so, where are the 92 steps we ascend? My thoughts are we have to view the three buildings from afar. I just stumbled onto something big actually and I will forego posting my lakefront pics instead for something I found recently.

Oh, I work in the Chase building, never stopped to read that marker thing. I can check it out tomorrow, and I'll check out the view of the Mitchell building from the tower, because why not.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

TheLastManStanding posted:

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

A raised cross in a circle and a raised cross in a circle. What is it you find so implausible with this?

If you look at the solved ones' many of the clues in the illustration are not exact replica's of what the ar based on. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 6, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

Kilbourn Reservoir Theory

In 1979, the reservoir was filled in with soil. It was known for being able to view the city skyline from it's southern-most point. It also had what looks to be a bridge on it. Also, it had an American Legion Star on it's side which could resemble a compass but, I only have one photo to go off of.

It was almost 160' in height and if we consider it a "grand 200" and you had a view like this:

Then the poem followed like this:

...First part of poem involves seeing the three buildings downtown (including Pabst Theater?) from a view...
unsure about woman but, I'm going with Pabst Theater for this theory

Step on nature
Cast in Copper

Not sure about this either yet because the park has been completely redone. I am thinking either worn soil made it look copper colored or there is some other minor explanation. I looked at the paintings ground cover and it resembles browned grass or possibly if I am wrong hereabout everything, maybe it's fallen and decayed pine needles?

Then follow this design image which is based off of plans for what the reservoir resembles now. Note that the "grey" trees in the plans are original trees planned to be preserved if possible and birches probably were not saved. Also, the B in the rectangle I drew is the old bridge?:

eit: I forgot to add that the Am Legion Star is the compass you pass

Which lets us see the proud tall fifth (new trees X'd out):

It's extremely flimsy and I can't confirm some parts yet without visiting it but, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I also don't know how the water got out or if there was anything resembling a culvert on the West side. I just wish I could see both sides of the 1979 version of the reservoir.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Delthalaz posted:

I disagree, in the images used to actually find casks, the central figure was not something anyone actually found, but it just had hints as to where to look. The face is pretty clearly the Statue of Liberty and that (plus whatever that face is that's hidden on her dress) just might be all we can get from the figure.

I agree. I find the face to be extremely distinctive.

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm not angry; I'm just baffled by how blind some people are. Obviously, for something that's gone on this long without being solved needs some serious brainstorming, but picking some spot because it has a single, vague connection is ridiculous. I might as well claim that one is buried in San Francisco's Market st since that daisy clearly is a palm and Market st is known for it's long stretch of palm trees.

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

That's not an excuse to be a dick. Act like a grown up and give a reasoned response.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Sham I Am posted:

A raised cross in a circle and a raised cross in a circle. What is it you find so implausible with this?

If you look at the solved ones' many of the clues in the illustration are not exact replica's of what the ar based on. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

No, they aren't perfect replicas since one is a painting, but they are the same style. Your quoted one is a completely different style of cross.

For the Milwaukee -> nature <-> copper connection, I have been trying to find sculptures or replicas (maybe even miniaturizations) of forestry and wildlife. The closest I have found, though, is the Elk Lodge which has an Elk colored liked copper, but is not actually copper. But that sort of stuff is what that part of the verse makes me think of, personally. I liked the other poster's idea that it could be a plaque or some sort of cover that has nature type embossing, though. Like maybe one of those giant seals in the entrance floors you find in memorials, monuments, and other such buildings.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2013

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Cask 9

Okay. So, I've been gathering evidence for number 9 and Montreal. After seeing the "leg-eater" which, I haven't been able to get any more information about, I was pretty convinced. So, here's what I see:

The shape of the Montreal islands reminds me of the shape of his mouth.

And look how similar that collar shape is to the river here. And notice that line along the opposite bank which is very similar to the line around the collar.

Could the PI stand for Parc des Iles (now Parc Jean Drapeau, which is made up of Ile Sainte-Helene and Ile Notre-dame)?

That is where the 67 expo was held:

Are there any numbers that could match Montreal coordinates?

Weird buildings? (A stretch).

Upside down pyramids? (another stretch)

More things that I can't figure out what they are:

Something going on in the hair, there. Are those numbers or letters on the forehead (GP?)? What is that distortion in the checkers? And is that a face silhouette or a landscape silhouette? And there's another thing going on in the checkers over there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Milwaukee

The 200 connection with the Grand Staircase is supposed to be that 200 in Roman numerals is CC, and that's the shape of the staircase (though one of them is backwards). It (supposedly) has nothing to do with the number of stairs.

That's written quite explicitly on the lemontiger site. I'm not saying it's a great interpretation, but it'd be pretty silly if people weren't even bothering to look at pre-existing hypotheses.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Achmed Jones posted:

Milwaukee

The 200 connection with the Grand Staircase is supposed to be that 200 in Roman numerals is CC, and that's the shape of the staircase (though one of them is backwards). It (supposedly) has nothing to do with the number of stairs.

That's written quite explicitly on the lemontiger site. I'm not saying it's a great interpretation, but it'd be pretty silly if people weren't even bothering to look at pre-existing hypotheses.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it solves the entire riddle then!

(Just because we hypothesize other solutions doesn't mean we don't acknowledge others. The point is no one knows!)

NoSoup4U
Dec 28, 2000

bike bike bike bike bike
SF / General

I think it's time we find a more organized way to do this. My suggestion is that we map out our logic as a means of a) Organizing the evidence we have and b) ranking our assumptions to see what fits and what doesn't.

I've began to make a diagram through Google Docs that does just this. For example, here are some of the logical steps we've taken to conclude that the location is in San Francisco:

Obviously this does not represent all of the clues we've found, but I want to test the waters to see if others are willing to collaborate on this. The idea is that we start with the evidence on the left, and get more and more specific (i.e., this city, this park, this fountain, then under this rock) as we move to the right. For now I left assumptions as rounded rectangles, and indisputable facts as rhombuses.

Here is a link if you would like to play around with it. You may need to install a plugin. I'm using an xml editor called draw.io (Diagramly), but I am open to suggestions for other editors. This one is free and fairly intuitive to use, especially if you have experience in visio or vector based graphics.

I clearly cannot put something together like this on my own for San Fran, much less everything. I also don't have any real experience doing logic maps like this. Maybe people have suggestions on how to improve it? Things could get pretty messy, especially since we can't agree on which poem goes to which painting. Finally, it doesn't hurt to recall that

quote:

6. The picture is the key to it all. In both of the found treasures, the evidence pointing to the location was almost entirely in the picture. To stay on the right path, you should not even look at the poems until there is substantial evidence from the picture relating a few landmarks or objects.

NoSoup4U fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 6, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 9

BJG posted:

I'm still catching up with this thread so apologies if I repeat stuff, but Byron apparently confirmed this.