Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Milwaukee

This keeps nagging at me every time it comes up. I think the two lines:

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Might be meant to be taken together rather than separately. I know here in Philadelphia we have inlaid copper plaques in the sidewalk in a couple places, is there any kind of thing like that in Milwaukee with some kind of nature motif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Goldaline posted:

Milwaukee

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Might be meant to be taken together rather than separately. I know here in Philadelphia we have inlaid copper plaques in the sidewalk in a couple places, is there any kind of thing like that in Milwaukee with some kind of nature motif?

I tried to find one. All I found was a copper plaque in Cathedral Square (a park) which is just words. The other thing I found was a two old copper streetcar rest stops. Only one is on a tiny tiny strip of park.

edit: Anyone else notice the woman in the Milw image is surrounded in blue including the second red ball but none of the other items are?

SECOND EDIT: ALSO THIS IS REALLY COOL http://www.hmdb.org/

crashdome fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

My main issue with the pear/SC flag tree thing is that it doesn't necessarily tell us anything new if it IS true (unless it's really abstractly pointing to Fort Moultrie, which I am willing to keep as a possibility). We know it's in Charleston, SC. I feel like it's much more likely that it means something just as you said: in conjunction with the pine and probably the daisy as well.

Looking back at the verses, I did realize that Verse 5, which has the very strong Citadel call out, could also reference the SC flag. The "single standing member of a forest" would be a tree, and what most famously has one tree but the flag itself? Could indicate a place where the flag would fly (like a fort or government building).

I buy that the daisy is a Palmetto tree, though mostly because I think it's reinforcing Fort Moultrie as the site (with a possible secondary reference to the Sergeant Jasper monument in White Point Gardens, though that's a Huuuuge stretch and unlikely imho). I don't really buy that the pear is the crescent, I think it's more likely a part of some kind of rebus.

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad
Cask 6: Saint Augustine, FL

This is a shot in the dark, but the flag above the rider (assuming it's Ponce de Leon) has been on my mind for a while. Could it be a reference to Flagler College which has a building called Ponce de Leon Hall? The imagery of honking (since there is a highway not far away from the college) as well as sails (since there is a major waterway there too) piqued my curiosity. Just a thought to spark discussion.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Milwaukee

Goddamn, I've spent way too much time thinking about this.

Ok, follow me here...

View the three stories of Mitchell

This is Mitchell Hall on the UW-M campus

As you walk the beating of the world

The campus is split by Hart(heart)ford Ave. Walking along it passes the American Geographical Society Library(world)

At a distance in time

Not sure, is there a clock tower visible at a distance from here?

From three who lived there

As you walk east on Hartford, you cross Downer, Hackett, and Shepard Avenues, named after historical Milwaukee residents.

At a distance in space

Again, not sure. Is there something in the distance that has to do with space from here?

From woman, with harpsichord

As you contiune the walk you come to Marietta Ave.(previously mentioned in the thread as a self portrait of Marietta Robusti)

Silently playing

Walking south on Marietta takes you through an area with a synagogue (Preiss, was Jewish, btw) and I think a library (so be silent).

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Ok, here is where I wish I could put a picture but imgur is not working for me.

Walking south on Marietta brings you to Locust St. (remember there is an image of a locust in the picture) and a block east of that is Lake Park

Now, if you look on a map the are between N.Lake Park rd., E. Ravine Road, and N. Lincoln Memorial looks like a FOOT. Lincoln(copper) Memorial looks like a CAST.
the "foot" is STEPping on the area where I think the casque is.

Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

The grand 200 is the Grand Staircase at Lake Park.
The next 92 steps I'm not sure about, but it could be just walking uphill, rather than actual steps.

The rest of the verse needs to be examined by actually going to the park and looking around to see how it fits.

I think the casque is found by going in a ravine under one of the bridges (there are several) and following the clues to find a tree with some kind of marking on it. at the foot facing south should be where the casque is buried.

I live in Kenosha...I might go up there this weekend and look around.

As a side note...I think the red balls represent Mars. When entering Wisconsin through Kenosha, you see Mars Cheese Castle a pretty famous landmark around here. There is also the Mars building in Milwaukee (on Mitchell street!). Also of note is that the famous Allen-Bradley clock tower is visible from here.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

12_String posted:

Goddamn dude, settle down. This is all for fun, not some loving competition.

So, the overlay shown here (http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148488/1_Park), is just a coincidence?

Not exact, but pretty damned close. Could be some sort of reference point, could be BS.
I'm not angry; I'm just baffled by how blind some people are. Obviously, for something that's gone on this long without being solved needs some serious brainstorming, but picking some spot because it has a single, vague connection is ridiculous. I might as well claim that one is buried in San Francisco's Market st since that daisy clearly is a palm and Market st is known for it's long stretch of palm trees.

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

quote:

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm not angry; I'm just baffled by how blind some people are. Obviously, for something that's gone on this long without being solved needs some serious brainstorming, but picking some spot because it has a single, vague connection is ridiculous. I might as well claim that one is buried in San Francisco's Market st since that daisy clearly is a palm and Market st is known for it's long stretch of palm trees.

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

He's been at this a lot longer than most of us, so shut it (your mouth). He's contributed more info than anyone.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Not to mention I feel we are going in circles or reiterating things already said.

Note to Milwaukee people: The Grand Staircase does NOT have 200 steps.

TipsyMc posted:

Milwaukee

View the three stories of Mitchell

This is Mitchell Hall on the UW-M campus

Also Milwaukee hunters, RE: Mitchel three "stories": http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=38881

That marker is sure to be post-Preiss but the first paragraph reiterates my thoughts I posted on page 20 which, I had written long before seeing this marker. It could be Mitchell Hall but, if so, where are the 92 steps we ascend? My thoughts are we have to view the three buildings from afar. I just stumbled onto something big actually and I will forego posting my lakefront pics instead for something I found recently.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 6, 2013

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Okay. I found this, which even if it isn't related, is kind of nice. It points back at the 7th verse being for San Francisco though. Twain's attention and giant steps are there. Giant pole? Maybe. Not quite in Chinatown as it is today, but not far from it. The park was built 1972. http://goo.gl/maps/2RpE2

Edit: I also found Lotta's Fountain which is cool and I had no idea existed and I have to go see next time I'm in SF.

12_String fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

crashdome posted:

Not to mention I feel we are going in circles or reiterating things already said.

Note to Milwaukee people: The Grand Staircase does NOT have 200 steps.

Also Milwaukee hunters, RE: Mitchel three "stories": http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=38881

That marker is sure to be post-Preiss but the first paragraph reiterates my thoughts I posted on page 20 which, I had written long before seeing this marker. It could be Mitchell Hall but, if so, where are the 92 steps we ascend? My thoughts are we have to view the three buildings from afar. I just stumbled onto something big actually and I will forego posting my lakefront pics instead for something I found recently.

Oh, I work in the Chase building, never stopped to read that marker thing. I can check it out tomorrow, and I'll check out the view of the Mitchell building from the tower, because why not.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

A raised cross in a circle and a raised cross in a circle. What is it you find so implausible with this?

If you look at the solved ones' many of the clues in the illustration are not exact replica's of what the ar based on. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 6, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Milwaukee

Kilbourn Reservoir Theory

In 1979, the reservoir was filled in with soil. It was known for being able to view the city skyline from it's southern-most point. It also had what looks to be a bridge on it. Also, it had an American Legion Star on it's side which could resemble a compass but, I only have one photo to go off of.

It was almost 160' in height and if we consider it a "grand 200" and you had a view like this:

Then the poem followed like this:

...First part of poem involves seeing the three buildings downtown (including Pabst Theater?) from a view...
unsure about woman but, I'm going with Pabst Theater for this theory

Step on nature
Cast in Copper

Not sure about this either yet because the park has been completely redone. I am thinking either worn soil made it look copper colored or there is some other minor explanation. I looked at the paintings ground cover and it resembles browned grass or possibly if I am wrong hereabout everything, maybe it's fallen and decayed pine needles?

Then follow this design image which is based off of plans for what the reservoir resembles now. Note that the "grey" trees in the plans are original trees planned to be preserved if possible and birches probably were not saved. Also, the B in the rectangle I drew is the old bridge?:

eit: I forgot to add that the Am Legion Star is the compass you pass

Which lets us see the proud tall fifth (new trees X'd out):

It's extremely flimsy and I can't confirm some parts yet without visiting it but, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I also don't know how the water got out or if there was anything resembling a culvert on the West side. I just wish I could see both sides of the 1979 version of the reservoir.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 6, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Delthalaz posted:

I disagree, in the images used to actually find casks, the central figure was not something anyone actually found, but it just had hints as to where to look. The face is pretty clearly the Statue of Liberty and that (plus whatever that face is that's hidden on her dress) just might be all we can get from the figure.

I agree. I find the face to be extremely distinctive.

That's not an excuse to be a dick. Act like a grown up and give a reasoned response.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Sham I Am posted:

A raised cross in a circle and a raised cross in a circle. What is it you find so implausible with this?

If you look at the solved ones' many of the clues in the illustration are not exact replica's of what the ar based on. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

No, they aren't perfect replicas since one is a painting, but they are the same style. Your quoted one is a completely different style of cross.

For the Milwaukee -> nature <-> copper connection, I have been trying to find sculptures or replicas (maybe even miniaturizations) of forestry and wildlife. The closest I have found, though, is the Elk Lodge which has an Elk colored liked copper, but is not actually copper. But that sort of stuff is what that part of the verse makes me think of, personally. I liked the other poster's idea that it could be a plaque or some sort of cover that has nature type embossing, though. Like maybe one of those giant seals in the entrance floors you find in memorials, monuments, and other such buildings.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2013

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
Cask 9

Okay. So, I've been gathering evidence for number 9 and Montreal. After seeing the "leg-eater" which, I haven't been able to get any more information about, I was pretty convinced. So, here's what I see:

The shape of the Montreal islands reminds me of the shape of his mouth.

And look how similar that collar shape is to the river here. And notice that line along the opposite bank which is very similar to the line around the collar.

Could the PI stand for Parc des Iles (now Parc Jean Drapeau, which is made up of Ile Sainte-Helene and Ile Notre-dame)?

That is where the 67 expo was held:

Are there any numbers that could match Montreal coordinates?

Weird buildings? (A stretch).

Upside down pyramids? (another stretch)

More things that I can't figure out what they are:

Something going on in the hair, there. Are those numbers or letters on the forehead (GP?)? What is that distortion in the checkers? And is that a face silhouette or a landscape silhouette? And there's another thing going on in the checkers over there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Milwaukee

The 200 connection with the Grand Staircase is supposed to be that 200 in Roman numerals is CC, and that's the shape of the staircase (though one of them is backwards). It (supposedly) has nothing to do with the number of stairs.

That's written quite explicitly on the lemontiger site. I'm not saying it's a great interpretation, but it'd be pretty silly if people weren't even bothering to look at pre-existing hypotheses.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Achmed Jones posted:

Milwaukee

The 200 connection with the Grand Staircase is supposed to be that 200 in Roman numerals is CC, and that's the shape of the staircase (though one of them is backwards). It (supposedly) has nothing to do with the number of stairs.

That's written quite explicitly on the lemontiger site. I'm not saying it's a great interpretation, but it'd be pretty silly if people weren't even bothering to look at pre-existing hypotheses.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it solves the entire riddle then!

(Just because we hypothesize other solutions doesn't mean we don't acknowledge others. The point is no one knows!)

NoSoup4U
Dec 28, 2000

bike bike bike bike bike
SF / General

I think it's time we find a more organized way to do this. My suggestion is that we map out our logic as a means of a) Organizing the evidence we have and b) ranking our assumptions to see what fits and what doesn't.

I've began to make a diagram through Google Docs that does just this. For example, here are some of the logical steps we've taken to conclude that the location is in San Francisco:

Obviously this does not represent all of the clues we've found, but I want to test the waters to see if others are willing to collaborate on this. The idea is that we start with the evidence on the left, and get more and more specific (i.e., this city, this park, this fountain, then under this rock) as we move to the right. For now I left assumptions as rounded rectangles, and indisputable facts as rhombuses.

Here is a link if you would like to play around with it. You may need to install a plugin. I'm using an xml editor called draw.io (Diagramly), but I am open to suggestions for other editors. This one is free and fairly intuitive to use, especially if you have experience in visio or vector based graphics.

I clearly cannot put something together like this on my own for San Fran, much less everything. I also don't have any real experience doing logic maps like this. Maybe people have suggestions on how to improve it? Things could get pretty messy, especially since we can't agree on which poem goes to which painting. Finally, it doesn't hurt to recall that

quote:

6. The picture is the key to it all. In both of the found treasures, the evidence pointing to the location was almost entirely in the picture. To stay on the right path, you should not even look at the poems until there is substantial evidence from the picture relating a few landmarks or objects.

NoSoup4U fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 6, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 9

BJG posted:

I'm still catching up with this thread so apologies if I repeat stuff, but Byron apparently confirmed this.

Sent : Monday, April 7, 2003 2:08 PM
Subject : Re: "The Secret"

thanks! yes, there is a treasure in Canada.

Mind you, in a different email he also said:

"Very impressive work esp since the book is 20 years old. I think you deserve to know that you are correct about st. Louid,but not correct about the location.thanks for all your excellent work."

IMHO the only candidate for either of these locations is Image 9, and Montreal seems more likely because of the "legeater" discovery...

Personally I therefore regard the "St Louis" reference as an oblique hint about New Orleans; St Louis Cathedral or Louis Armstrong Park or something.

Apropos of nothing, here's another old newspaper article about the puzzle...I only mention it because it's pretty obscure and I only recently came across it.

http://kspot.org/trove/ct_111682a.jpg
http://kspot.org/trove/ct_111682b1.jpg
http://kspot.org/trove/ct_111682b2.jpg

(Nothing to do with me, but also a bunch of other stuff in there like albums from Forest Park and Lake Park.)

I think this needs more airtime as there are still a lot more mentions of St. Louis. I know that the overlay pictures (I assume someone is still working on those) has it written up as St. Louis clues. Another thing for the to-do list would be to try and do the overlay of the picture with the clues from Montreal.

Whomever listed the largest Montreal portion, have you tried to do an overlay for it? I have less than zero skills, but would be willing to give it a go if we need it worked on.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it solves the entire riddle then!

(Just because we hypothesize other solutions doesn't mean we don't acknowledge others. The point is no one knows!)

The 'roman numeral' interpretation is pretty Cagey, but other than City Hall we haven't seen any other staircases that come close to the 92/200 amounts, and it does have the 'grand' connection.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Milwaukee

I'm not disputing it or harping on you about it but, seriously... that explanation is about as flimsy as it gets. Who would think that if you take 200 and convert it to one of a hundred different possible expressions and then invert/flip/rotate part of it, it kinda resembles that staircase (but not really). I get the "grand" and the "climbing" part though. The 200 written as CC and then altered such that it fits??? No way. If that's the truth I give up on the rest because then: 92 could be 9+2 = 11 and most steps have 11" depth. So it's actually just one step.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that based on he would simply substitute "L" for Lincoln in another puzzle, I will take 200 to either mean an actual 200 steps, feet, paces etc.. then some roundabout way to express basically what looks more like this: ( ) or this: 0

crashdome fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

I am finding that the Memorial Church inside Harvard's main campus was designed to specifically evoke the Old North Church where Paul Revere displayed the lanterns. Given all the other strong clues in favor of Harvard, can we assume that the entire poem refers to things inside Harvard only?

Edit: there was even an article in the Harvard Magazine in 1982 with the title "Does the Tower of Old North Church Belong in Harvard Yard?".

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 6, 2013

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

NO
Nothing jumped out at me, but if you're familiar with the area, it can't hurt to go over this list and see if something for Ace makes sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_(disambiguation)

If they are, the one on the left is Anglo Saxon and the one on the right is either mirrored or Younger Futhark.

Google Earth only has back to 1994, but the coastline has change somewhat. Maybe someone can find a map from ~1980 and compare it?

I've been going as far back as I could on Google Earth and anywhere else I can find like NYCityMaps, if I'm in the group that meets in NYC, my first stop will be the public library to check out historical maps.

I think this further proves the coastline theory, the 1994 outline looks even closer to the image than the 2013 scan. Some of the connections people are making from the photo are a bit out there, but they all provide evidence to a single location: the Fountain of Youth Park. Regarding the tree, I believe the tree in the painting and the tree mentioned in the verse are one in the same. In fact, there's a few palm trees on the right side of the coastline that seemed singled out and might be worth looking into.

And as far as numbers are concerned, the base of a tree is circular, much like a clock. Perhaps the '2' (in the rocks) represents the location of the cask in correspondence with the number '2' on a clock.

But again, I really have no idea at this point. :v:

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 9

fanpantstic posted:

Aren't those runes of some sort? I don't know about the flag.

If we go with runes, the P rune (wunja) is: W, V, (which means joy, success, recognition and contentment).

The closest rune for the other(upside down inverted L?)rune is T. I am unable to find any associations with it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q3s1bfXOkXc/TsVo7u2UfpI/AAAAAAAAACc/uJoBIiQs3YA/s1600/RuneMeanings.jpg
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U16A0.pdf

I'm working on the overlay for Montreal. Can anyone tell me what the official name of the "legeater" statue is?

e: found the other rune

So, in short if they are ruins they are W, T.

PunkNickel fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 6, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Luminous posted:

No, they aren't perfect replicas since one is a painting, but they are the same style. Your quoted one is a completely different style of cross.

For the Milwaukee -> nature <-> copper connection, I have been trying to find sculptures or replicas (maybe even miniaturizations) of forestry and wildlife. The closest I have found, though, is the Elk Lodge which has an Elk colored liked copper, but is not actually copper. But that sort of stuff is what that part of the verse makes me think of, personally. I liked the other poster's idea that it could be a plaque or some sort of cover that has nature type embossing, though. Like maybe one of those giant seals in the entrance floors you find in memorials, monuments, and other such buildings.

I'm beginning to think it's pine needles from what I can connect it to in the painting's ground cover like this:

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Here's a link to scans we did today with an original copy of the book. For some reason I couldn't get them to upload to imgur.com (think because they were over 10mb each) so had to use flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46823115@N02/sets/72157633959792176/

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 9

I'm working on the overlay for Montreal. Can anyone tell me what the official name of the "legeater" statue is?

Good question. It appears to be outside of the Mount Stephen Club, which closed a few years ago. That's all the detail I know.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
You seem to be correct, though apparently it's not a statue, but a detail on the lamp posts.

Goggle Maps Street View

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

crashdome posted:

I'm beginning to think it's pine needles from what I can connect it to in the painting's ground cover like this:

Goldaline posted:

Milwaukee

Step on nature
Cast in copper

That is a good observation that could be something to look into. Quite a few of the first verses could possibly be referring to something in the Milwaukee Public Museum. Besides Marietta Street, there could be something in the museum of a woman, with harpsichord. It's been awhile since I have explored it but those types of things would be in a museum. The museum is open free for County residents on Monday if someone has the time and would be willing to go exploring there.

The copper streetcar stops were recently placed and were originally on the 16th street viaduct, I believe. I don't think those would help.

The biggest thing that bothers me about the whole "start at Mitchell hall and go to Lake Park" reasoning is why? I think Flewdefur's rules really need to be studied here for a bit. I'm assuming Preiss first came as a visitor to Milwaukee. He will probably get tourist information on the city which will include all of the highlights of places to see. I doubt UWM is going to be on that list and in fact to get to UWM will be more out of the way than to go downtown. Based on Cleveland and Chicago, I think the beginning and end is more centrally located and less obscure.

This is the first page from the 1982 City directory which tells about the city and shows a picture of City Hall. Preiss would probably use something like this as a guide. The article goes on to show pictures of the War Memorial, the domes, the Performing Arts Center, the museum, and Juneau Park. He would probably use these easily recognizable landmarks as clues.

Bankok posted:

Here's a link to scans we did today with an original copy of the book. For some reason I couldn't get them to upload to imgur.com (think because they were over 10mb each) so had to use flickr.

Edit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46823115@N02/sets/72157633959792176/
Holy poo poo, much better!

This brings me to the second thing in the picture. How does anybody see a locust tree here? I see the smudge as the spiked hair on top of a head looking downwards. The darker spot on the right side is a shoulder of the body. The face is faint but looks like Skeletor.

Double Edit: Or it looks like Robert M. La Follette, deep in thought!!

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 6, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

You seem to be correct, though apparently it's not a statue, but a detail on the lamp posts.

Goggle Maps Street View

Am I missing something? What you showed me I don't see that legeater thing at all. Also, in my quote post (the one up a few from this one) showed the legeater statue thing and it looks huge. So, where am I confused?

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

fanpantstic posted:

Cask 9

More things that I can't figure out what they are:

Something going on in the hair, there. Are those numbers or letters on the forehead (GP?)? What is that distortion in the checkers? And is that a face silhouette or a landscape silhouette? And there's another thing going on in the checkers over there.

If that is an upside-down GP in his bangs, it could refer to the Grand Prix, which started in 1978 on Ile Notre-Dame. Right time frame, maybe ties in all the checkerboards, too.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

PunkNickel posted:

Am I missing something? What you showed me I don't see that legeater thing at all. Also, in my quote post (the one up a few from this one) showed the legeater statue thing and it looks huge. So, where am I confused?

See here for a better angle. It's not huge; there's 3 small ones at the base of the lamp. You can also see the stonework and steps in the background match the posted picture.

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

PunkNickel posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/ugYOx

Might be a better look. Seems like they haven't been polished recently; but the wall of the building in the original photo matches very well to these.

E:fb

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I was confused by the legeater statue too, the close-up shot in BJG's original post makes it look like a big ol' statue thing but it's really much smaller, just the base of the lamp. If you look behind it at the stonework on the front of the building, you can see that it matches the building in TheLastManStanding's google maps location, so it seems to be a dead match. But I find it interesting that there is more than one of them-- which legeater is it?

Since that seems pretty well identified I am much more curious now about what the blocky black thing in front of it on the cloak could be. Could there be a building that matches its profile, when viewed at the right angle from the legeater?

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Mad Mafioso posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/ugYOx

Might be a better look. Seems like they haven't been polished recently; but the wall of the building in the original photo matches very well to these.

E:fb

Thanks, I see it now. I was just expecting something larger.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BOSTON- A THEORY WITHOUT WEIRD poo poo
All right, I walked around and took some pictures and notes today. I had three theories I was trying to disprove but all I did was strengthen one of them. I'm trying to remain rational and detached and I'd like to think this theory hits all the text points, doesn't divert into weird speculative Da Vinci Code masturbation, and makes sense. Here goes:

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon

If you're unmistakably in Copley Square…
Take five steps
In the area of his direction

'He' is the statue of Phillips Brooks, the only statue in Copley at the time of the writing. This big, bronze, pious motherfucker has his own little court area on the N side of the church. He's so baller he rocks Jesus as a parrot.

More on him later. The goal is to end up looking at the church from the direction which would make the face of the church appear like the castle on the box. This would be achieved by heading S on Clarendon and crossing over Boylston, if you're in the neighborhood and want to look at Brooks first.

A green tower of lights
In the middle section

This is a giant intersection featuring a confluence of 5 roads, one of which is an interstate onramp; it would have had a big ol' stoplight bank even back then. Also, Copley Square was bisected diagonally from SW to NE back in the day.
Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls

The people heading W on this street, St. James Ave., are commuters who are about to pass Fenway, Boston's beloved metal-walled coliseum, when driving home. The onramp to 90W is one of the roads that begins at the big-rear end Copley intersection with the giant bank of stoplights, and Fenway is less than a mile W.
Face the water
The Atlantic/Boston Harbor is NE.
Your back to the stairs
The library stairs, of course, are to the SW.
Feel at home
You're always welcome in a church. Also, the area directly abutting the Brooks patio was/is the clergy quarters. A man of God, memorialized right outside the home of men of God, within the house of God. A whole lot of God up in here.
All the letters
Are here to see

You're on the side of the church where the library facade would be visible. It's blocked on St. James and Clarendon.
Eighteenth day
There are eighteen square stones on Brooks' patio, like calendar squares...
Twelfth hour
Of those stones, twelve have circular insets, like clock faces.
Lit by lamplight
There is a grassy patch that begins five paces from the corner of the statue. Those are the aforementioned five steps you have to take, in his area, right where his hand is directing you. So, uh, somewhere around this lamppost, I assume.

I found old photos that show a lamppost in the same spot a long time ago. It used to have bushes and a little retaining fence. Match up the little column things and pavers to give a sense of perspective.

In truth, be free.
You have to be honest with the church about what you plan to do, because it's not technically a public park. (It's a corner of their property. Admittedly, this one is a little shaky.)

I'm working on having a big version of an image dissection to support the Copley theory but it's too late tonight. Hopefully it will bring to light more of the specifics of where one should dig exactly. If anyone wants to compare notes on an alternate theory for the Fen/Victory Gardens area, lay it out- I had some ideas for those but can't quite make all the pieces fit.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 6, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 9

BJG mentioned that he believes that the verse 2 goes with Montreal. It has also been noted that the Netherlands are associated with this Cask.

The particular verse says:

At the place where jewels abound

Fifteen rows down to the ground

In the middle of twenty-one

According to the Mt. Stephen club wiki, a visitor was Princess Benedikte of Denmark. It is noted that on the day of her birth there was a 21 bomb and 21 gun salute.

During her reign, the Act of Succession in 1953 happened, which allowed for women to secede to the throne. She became next in line for the throne (behind her uncle), but was the first woman to be in line for succession in general. So there is someone notable from the Netherlands associated with Mt. Stephens Club.

Could be something, could be nothing.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

CronoGamer posted:

I was confused by the legeater statue too, the close-up shot in BJG's original post makes it look like a big ol' statue thing but it's really much smaller, just the base of the lamp. If you look behind it at the stonework on the front of the building, you can see that it matches the building in TheLastManStanding's google maps location, so it seems to be a dead match. But I find it interesting that there is more than one of them-- which legeater is it?

Since that seems pretty well identified I am much more curious now about what the blocky black thing in front of it on the cloak could be. Could there be a building that matches its profile, when viewed at the right angle from the legeater?

BJG addressed this on a site he was trying to get help from those in Montreal on. It shows the black building alongside a picture of a Trellis, but it is admittedly not a very good match.

http://detectionduquebec.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=354

I think there are 4 of them at the base of the lampposts. In the up close google map, it looks like only 1 is actually "eating a leg", but it just could be that the picture is not a good one. If we could get someone to go by there and take a picture that would help tremendously. I read that it closed in 2011, but I think the building still remains.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

I'm very impressed by the alternative interpretation of the "Paul Revere" bits and the removed lamppost. However, what about the bird, and the spheres, and the pattern on the dress? I can see that it might be possible to link the spheres to the twelve circles in the stones, but there is clearly a lot more going on with the spheres in the image. There are the soap bubbles and the weird metal frame (also with a pattern) and the star!

Also, I can see how Trinity Church matches the "castle" in the image, but only if you selectively pick out shapes that should correspond. If this is actually what was intended, then I don't know... I have spent some time trying to match different churches for NYC and Boston and if this is an acceptable match according to BP, then it should be possible to match St. Mary's Byzanthine Church with the NYC "colorblind test" / "stained glass" pattern. It just feels wrong.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 9

BJG mentioned that he believes that the verse 2 goes with Montreal. It has also been noted that the Netherlands are associated with this Cask.

The particular verse says:

At the place where jewels abound

Fifteen rows down to the ground

In the middle of twenty-one

According to the Mt. Stephen club wiki, a visitor was Princess Benedikte of Denmark. It is noted that on the day of her birth there was a 21 bomb and 21 gun salute.

During her reign, the Act of Succession in 1953 happened, which allowed for women to secede to the throne. She became next in line for the throne (behind her uncle), but was the first woman to be in line for succession in general. So there is someone notable from the Netherlands associated with Mt. Stephens Club.

Could be something, could be nothing.

My feeling is that your connections to 15 and 21 are a little too tenuous for the treasure hunt. Reading those, I thought that they would be a little more specifically related to the location of the cask. But I agree with your interpretation of the jewels abounding and wondering whether the Mount Stephens Club might be central to the hunt here. The cask in Cleveland was hidden in a public park, yes, but in that park it was buried in a planter (not in the open ground). There are shrubs and dirt and grass in front of the Mount Stephens club... could the verse refer to aspects of that building? All the columns and the pomp and such of the building seem reminiscent of Greek Cultural Garden...