Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I get the feeling the part of the trial is going to be spent trying to disprove some BS he spouts off trying to help the killer just to test which side is better, or something silly like that.

Aka what he did last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I'm betting he'll be telling the truth in one of the trials (maybe something that clears Hinata of the murder?), and you'll have to spend the entire thing convincing everyone he's not full of poo poo.

rayrayravona
Apr 28, 2013
I voted for the characters we've already had free time events with (Komaeda, Tanaka, Nanami, and Sonia). I'd really like to see free time events with new characters. I feel like all we ever do is talk to Gundam.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
We've never actually had a free time event with Komaeda; he's always been tied up, one way or another. But I suppose we've had a lot of emphasis on Komaeda, free time event or no free time event, so it makes sense to exclude him if we want to get to know some of the less developed characters better (even if I'd love to see what a free time event with him is actually like). I feel that Pekoyama is the person we know the least.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I was rereading the update and noticed this

orenronen posted:

Besides... There really is something I have to do, but Hiyoko-chan...

I suspect Saionji is aware that Koizumi plans to play the arcade cabinet and is intentionally preventing her from going. Whether she is trying to save her or manipulate her for her own ends remains to be seen.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Okay, closing the poll. Sorry for the relatively short polling period, but it's not like we're lacking for votes here, and I'd like to start working...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

LingeringDoubt posted:

That's pretty much the problem. So far she's been an extremely flat and uninteresting character. She's going to need to develop some character traits besides eating. I think we saw a hint of what's coming in her spar with Nidai, but that really didn't give us much.

That's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? Don't give her character development through free time events, we haven't seen enough of her character yet.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
For those interested - ordered results:

Chiaki Nanami------(338)
Peko Pekoyama----(387)
Sonia Nevermind---(390)
Ibuki Mioda---------(417)
Gundam Tanaka----(446)
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu-(493)
Mahiru Koizumi-----(504)
Kazuichi Souda-----(554)
Nekomaru Nidai----(561)
Mikan Tsumiki------(588)
Nagito Komaeda---(628)
Akane Owari--------(633)
Hiyoko Saionji------(742)

Frankly, I'm feeling like Nagito or Chiaki are in a good place to be the next victim, plot wise. (Though I'm really hoping it's Nagito.) Chiaki has been seeing a lot of screen time and even got her "I cannot condone mutual killing!" soundbite, which I can only hope is not a red flag of death. :ohdear:

Reason I think Nagito isn't long for this world is we've kind of seen his shtick, and it's going to just muddle up future trials in the exact same way. I feel like now would be a good time to remove him as he knows too much, we don't know why, and that discovery could be trial-solving.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't like the fact that Nanami is becoming the goon favorite. I find her completely boring and two-dimensional and would much rather spend time with anyone else.

e: but like in game, I don't want to spend time with anime characters

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Call Now posted:

I don't like the fact that Nanami is becoming the goon favorite. I find her completely boring and two-dimensional and would much rather spend time with anyone else.

Nanami feels like she's the kind that's gonna just be explored in-game, so my guess is Free Time's just gonna be finding out more about her SHSL part or just hinting at her in-game stuff like Mukuro.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Call Now posted:

I agree with this, she's smart at investigating things, and in the trials, but her personality is completely bland ("She's narcoleptic! Hilarious!"), and seeing her first free-time event only made that impression stronger. Still, the focus she's gotten this chapter is a big red flag.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

orenronen posted:

Here's one thing I can't believe no one mentioned so far:

Now, I'm not certain at all that this is an intentional reference, but I find it amusing considering Ibuki's voice actress, Ami Koshimizu, also plays a character in Persona 4 that has an entire plotline revolving around how she makes absolutely terrible, inedible curry rice.

Everyone in Persona 4 made bad curry. Is Ibukis VA Chie, Rise or Yukiko?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Meme Emulator posted:

Yukiko. As stated earlier, only one of the S. Links involved cooking and that one's Yukiko.

outlawroad
Feb 21, 2013

_(:^` \_))_
Didn't see anyone speculating on this upthread, so it apologies if this is just too obvious to talk about: is anyone else getting the vibe that Koizumi is trying to trick Hinata into giving Komaeda poisoned food? She's vulnerable to manipulation by Saionji now, though Komaeda must be in on it if anyone is ("Every time he opens his mouth, black poison floods out" seems like a Heavy Foreshadowing Moment to me). And Souda was acting pretty suspicious when he saw Hinata going into the cottage - what's everyone's motivation for ganging up on poor Hinata like this? Extra paranoia bonus: maybe Tsumiki's playing games with Nanami so she'll be too distracted to notice what's up.

If my theory is correct, it'll be plot-relevant that Hinata didn't actually put the food Komaeda's mouth, because now if Komaeda does wriggle over to the poisoned food and eat with his face, it'll be his own drat fault :niggly:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Also it was becoming DR General, so if he didn't lock it, slowbeef would've anyway.

Which is a little problematic because the other thread is a CIA document right now and it's very easy to accidentally click something you shouldn't while you navigate through it.

I experienced that firsthand. :sigh:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Meme Emulator posted:

I honestly gloss over anything to do with curry in anime or anime related things because it is almost always really loving stupid. Combined with the most overused anime cliche ever of "this girl is a bad cook ISNT THAT HILARIOUS?!" I completely forgot that aspect of Persona 4 even existed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sonia lost. And by only three votes, too. Drat. I want to hear more about her political opinions, too. Maybe a lecture on why austerity is problematic.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to the Chiaki event, at least.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Call Now posted:

I agree, I love Nanami personally (Owari and Nanami are my favourites) but I'd rather not talk to her constantly, she's just gonna go on about video games and make video game references and not really bring anything new or interesting to the table in a free time event... Especially when there's other, more fun characters to talk to. Same with Gundam, I love the guy but talking to him all the time is pretty bland, it needs to be mixed up. He just says the same things.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I don't really like Nanami either. She seems like she's there to be a perfect nerd girlfriend stereotype. But, oh well.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

cubivore posted:

I don't really like Nanami either. She seems like she's there to be a perfect nerd girlfriend stereotype. But, oh well.

Obviously narcolepsy is a highly desirable trait in all nerd girlfriends.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is an "endearing character trait", kind of like eating a lot (yet never gaining weight) and being klutzy.

DobuDobu
May 28, 2013

Poulpe posted:

Frankly, I'm feeling like Nagito or Chiaki are in a good place to be the next victim, plot wise. (Though I'm really hoping it's Nagito.) Chiaki has been seeing a lot of screen time and even got her "I cannot condone mutual killing!" soundbite, which I can only hope is not a red flag of death. :ohdear:

well, who knows? In the first game, Kirigiri in chapter 5 tripped death flags left and right and still lived to the end. On the other hand, some other death flags went up in the first chapter. Saionji even points it out in regards to Souda. Togami's just kind of overshadowed everyone else's (notably the taking responsibility and "I have some backstory to tell you later").

I think Nanami will probably live a bit longer if not to the end, which I think is nice, since she's one of the only level-headed characters and also super-cute. But I could probably see her relationship scenes getting pretty stale. It would be nice to focus on other characters next time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cubivore posted:

I don't really see it, she's pretty much your typical "gamer" except with somewhat exaggerated traits, just like all the other characters. Even with that she's definitely one of the more realistic character of the bunch. They already had the negative kind of nerd stereotype in Yamada anyway.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nanami's the best, she's clearly meta-gaming the whole scenario. I mean, think about it--if you know that you're an NPC in a game, you have absolutely no compunction to do anything. You know you can just wait indefinitely and regardless of anything, the plot will progress, because the player has to advance it.

She's just sleeping away the excess hours.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

TK-31 posted:

It is an "endearing character trait", kind of like eating a lot (yet never gaining weight) and being klutzy.

If you consider Narcolepsy to be an endearing character trait then I dunno what to tell you. There's pretty much no "nerdy girlfriend" stereotype that involves narcolepsy and playing way too many games, unless you're counting really obvious parodies as examples.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The only really interesting characters in this are completely insane.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

TK-31 posted:

[Narcolepsy] is an "endearing character trait", kind of like eating a lot (yet never gaining weight) and being klutzy.

And yet two of those characters are in the bottom 5 and one came out on top.

I'm personally not looking forward to SHSL Gamer's Free Time event, again. Maybe she and Tsumiki will be too busy...

2olluxcraptor
Mar 21, 2013

by elpintogrande
I do think we should get to see some Free Time events of Tsumiki, Saionji, or Owari, seeing as how most people seem to hate them and I don't really want them to die without at least knowing a little bit more about them; assuming they're all going to die at one point. :sweatdrop:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lance Streetman posted:

If you consider Narcolepsy to be an endearing character trait then I dunno what to tell you. There's pretty much no "nerdy girlfriend" stereotype that involves narcolepsy and playing way too many games, unless you're counting really obvious parodies as examples.

Endearing maybe not, but I can see the argument that it's intended as a "moe~" character trait for lonely Japanese nerds, which is a core demographic of this game, to quote Travis Touchdown, if you wanna be cynical about it :v:

For non anime losers "moe" is a female character archetype, usually involving trying to make a young girl "cute" or "adorable" to assholes. They often have weird features to make them vulnerable, like being sickly or something.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I don't know that she's even supposed to be narcoleptic, I thought it was just that she stays up too late playing video games so she falls asleep during the day.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

tentawesome posted:

I don't know that she's even supposed to be narcoleptic, I thought it was just that she stays up too late playing video games so she falls asleep during the day.

I don't think anyone is saying she's LITERALLY narcoleptic, at least i hope not. that'd be like saying Akane eats a lot, therefore she has a tapeworm. Or Mikan's behavior is due to parental abuse. Or a character having stomach cramps means that they're on their period. Or a character refusing to wear a swimsuit can only mean that they're secretly a crossdresser.

I mean, who would do that?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I don't think anyone is saying she's LITERALLY narcoleptic, at least i hope not. that'd be like saying Akane eats a lot, therefore she has a tapeworm. Or Mikan's behavior is due to parental abuse. Or a character having stomach cramps means that they're on their period. Or a character refusing to wear a swimsuit can only mean that they're secretly a crossdresser.

I mean, who would do that?

Pervy Chef?

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
We all know that 338 of you didn't want to see Nanami, there's no need to keep talking about it. If her free time event really is as boring as you're all predicting then next time the will of the masses will decide to go with someone else, regardless of whether you complain about Nanami winning the poll ahead of time. We're going to see all of the scenes at the end anyway.

I wonder if the arcade game is anything like the videos from DR1? Does it detect who you are and play differently to target you? Or is it a universally disturbing motive? I really hope Hinata caves in so we can sate my curiosity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

QueerPope posted:

I wonder if the arcade game is anything like the videos from DR1? Does it detect who you are and play differently to target you? Or is it a universally disturbing motive? I really hope Hinata caves in so we can sate my curiosity.

Hopefully we get to see it from different people's POV if it does change. It always bothered me that we never found out what was on those 13 other video tapes.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:
Nanami introduced me to Trio the Punch. I'm sorry, haters, but this alone makes her the best character in the game forever.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Prison Warden posted:

For non anime losers "moe" is a female character archetype, usually involving trying to make a young girl "cute" or "adorable" to assholes. They often have weird features to make them vulnerable, like being sickly or something.

Normally I wouldn't bother but this is plain wrong, so forgive me. Moe is basically a feeling caused by character traits that are endearing to you, not an archetype and not limited to females. If you like a strong, confident woman, then strength and confidence are your moe. Cuteness, innocence, vulnerability and so on are simply endearing to a larger number of people which is why that's what you'll see the most.

Lance Streetman posted:

If you consider Narcolepsy to be an endearing character trait then I dunno what to tell you.

Of course this all means that moe is easily misused and misunderstood and that if it's seriously needed, let's just keep using "endearing character trait" and assume it's a subjective preference and not necessary one that the poster holds themselves, please.

e: sorry for policing it up but this discussion is going places again

tiistai fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 6, 2013

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

Call Now posted:

So far, most of the characters in the game are basically just one memorable trait ("she eats a lot" "he shouts" "he's grumpy"). Nanami on the other hand has gone from her one "spaced out gamer" trait to being proactive in the story and having some moments of standing up to people, so I'd consider her the most interesting character right now. Sure she's two-dimensional, but that's a dimension more than most of the crew right now.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
Nanami's also kind of an introverted character, and I have a soft spot for introverted characters that have more to them than "OH NO PEOPLE LET ME HIDE" levels of shyness.

Either that or I'm just projecting my own personality onto her, but either way she's one of my favorites so far.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh good just what this thread needed a definition of moe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

tentawesome posted:

That's what she claims, anyway. Given how strongly DR2 has been hinting at an association between her and Monomi, I'm a little surprised not to see more suspicion in the thread about what she might be doing to make herself so worn out during some days, especially given that she does not seem to suffer this fatigue uniformly.

I suspect we'll find by game's end that a few of the basic character traits are simply that, while others are massive clues. I also think that if people see these characters as mainly two-dimensional, they're forgetting a lot of detail (Gundam's blush, Sonia's political lecture and fascination with serial killers, Nanami's oscillation between vagueness and keen observational skills, Mikan's professionalism when examining a corpse) and going with what the game's shoving in our faces. I'll consider it a twist if one of these characters ends up to be pretty much what he or she seems, although I do expect a few will be.

• Locked thread