Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

There a wallpaper version of this? My resolution is 1366x768 but obviously anything 16:9 will scale pretty nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Hey peeps, streaming more Barkley 2 enemy sprite making tonight. Check it here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/frankiesmile

(I did it almost every night this week even!)

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Francois Kofko posted:

There a wallpaper version of this? My resolution is 1366x768 but obviously anything 16:9 will scale pretty nicely.

Wallpapers were one of the kickstarter perks, you freeloader.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Where the hell is my bodypillow? I've spent too many nights cold and alone waiting for my basketball waifu to arrive.

cullan
Jun 17, 2002

Pillbug

Chef Boyardee posted:

Hmmm, we talked about it a little bit. But we've been talking more about porting it to Linux lately. I don't know for sure yet, the only 100% confirmed releases are Mac and PC.

I know this was a while ago but I would be pretty excited about a Linux port.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Akbar posted:

Wallpapers were one of the kickstarter perks, you freeloader.

I realized and checked after I posted. Turns out I never got mine. (Cyberdwarf is now gazing at me whenever I boot up)

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Amorphous Blob posted:

Where the hell is my bodypillow? I've spent too many nights cold and alone waiting for my basketball waifu to arrive.

Oh dang, missed this, have you gotten your pillow yet? They shipped out quite a while ago so people should have them by now. Can you email contact at talesofgames dot com and let us know your name and info and everything?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Can you please explain what black magic you used to make episode 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga awesome instead of pure poo poo? I mean by all rights it SHOULD be pure poo poo. The sprites are garbage. The story is garbage. The writing is garbage, albeit intentionally so. The save points sperg out on you. The combat is imba as gently caress and also garbage. No matter how I add these all up, the sum I get is absolute irredeemable poo poo. Yet the game obviously rules. I don't get it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Can you please explain what black magic you used to make episode 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga awesome instead of pure poo poo? I mean by all rights it SHOULD be pure poo poo. The sprites are garbage. The story is garbage. The writing is garbage, albeit intentionally so. The save points sperg out on you. The combat is imba as gently caress and also garbage. No matter how I add these all up, the sum I get is absolute irredeemable poo poo. Yet the game obviously rules. I don't get it.

I honestly think the combat is pretty fun. Sure it's imbalanced but it's not in a real game-breaking sense.

But as for why something is enjoyable despite the parts that make it up not being enjoyable, that's just something that happens. The Japanese call games that should not be fun, yet mysteriously are kusoge (literally "poo poo game"). Look that up, you might find your answer.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I'd argue that the writing was good because they were so good at making all the characters play the silly setting completely straight whereas any other dev would be constantly nudging the player and saying "look at how wacky this setting is it's pretty wacky huh wink wink wink."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

I heard that if you compress poo poo and leave it for like a decade after its time, it turns into pure diamond.

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 6, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I don't think you really 'get' the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th things you listed.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't think you really 'get' the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th things you listed.

No I get it. However just because a thing is a joke doesn't make it necessarily good. Nice try at playing Smug Vidya Connoisseur though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The secret is that the writing is actually really clever, and the combat is actually well designed and fun as hell. Otherwise the game wouldn't be funny or fun at all.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Episode 1 was lightening zuaber in a bottle. You are suggesting that Episode 1 exhibited an instance of bad humor and story-telling, yet it did not. Perhaps you should spend more time on the court practicing your dribble before tackling high level philosophical conundrums like "why people enjoy videogames."

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The secret is that the writing is actually really clever, and the combat is actually well designed and fun as hell. Otherwise the game wouldn't be funny or fun at all.

I have to admit that the writing IS clever as gently caress, but as I mentioned the combat is completely imbalanced. I think it's fun too, but from a technical standpoint I can't say it was well designed. It's been a while since I played, but for example consider how absurdly strong that one street sweeping laser on the cyborg dude is compared to everything else. Or the multiple moves (a few of which are on Barkley if I remember correctly) that are simply the poor choice in any situation and have no real use.

Inner City Leftist
Jun 5, 2011

Nathilus posted:

I have to admit that the writing IS clever as gently caress, but as I mentioned the combat is completely imbalanced. I think it's fun too, but from a technical standpoint I can't say it was well designed. It's been a while since I played, but for example consider how absurdly strong that one street sweeping laser on the cyborg dude is compared to everything else. Or the multiple moves (a few of which are on Barkley if I remember correctly) that are simply the poor choice in any situation and have no real use.

The cyborg is only available for a small portion of the game. And it's likely he's made overpowered intentionally so you feel the intense disappointment of his betrayal that only a vidcon of this quality can evoke. (Warning! Massive vidcon plot twist. Read at your own peril!)

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Well played, Hatbox Ghost. :golfclap:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Tale's of Game'es's employ staff wizards

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Nathilus posted:

I was talking to a buddy who only recently played Barkley 1 and when he bitched about some of Barkley's moves being "useless and underpowered compared to blah blah blah," I just stared at him until he realized what he sounded like. :ughh:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Railing Kill posted:

I was talking to a buddy who only recently played Barkley 1 and when he bitched about some of Barkley's moves being "useless and underpowered compared to blah blah blah," I just stared at him until he realized what he sounded like. :ughh:

Ah yes, complaining about poo poo combat balancing: exactly the same as the save point sperging out about vidcons or whatever.

Hatbox's post was well played and funny as hell, but pointing out a flaw in a game isn't exactly the mirror image of that poo poo. For that to be true you have to use stupid as hell vocabulary and go on and on for way too long. If a mere (completely valid) complaint equals that kind of bullshit to you, games and any other place that people ever talk about video games must be completely obnoxious to you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nathilus for Barkley 2 NPC.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Railing Kill posted:

I mean, there really isnt any reason to use any ability other than Double Dribble, its not like hes wrong. That doesnt really detract from the game though, but its a perfectly valid criticism.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Nathilus posted:

Ah yes, complaining about poo poo combat balancing: exactly the same as the save point sperging out about vidcons or whatever.

Hatbox's post was well played and funny as hell, but pointing out a flaw in a game isn't exactly the mirror image of that poo poo. For that to be true you have to use stupid as hell vocabulary and go on and on for way too long. If a mere (completely valid) complaint equals that kind of bullshit to you, games and any other place that people ever talk about video games must be completely obnoxious to you.

It wasn't so much what my buddy said, it was how. It went on for a while. He 'spergs about vidcons all the time, but to do so about Barkley just seemed ironic in a way he wasn't realizing.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

You're saying the game is "pure irredeemable poo poo" because the combat stats are imba or whatever the gently caress RPG nerd language you're speaking. I would say that I don't want to hear it but the way you perfectly mimic the truckpump monologues is golden.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hatbox Ghost posted:

You're saying the game is "pure irredeemable poo poo" because the combat stats are imba or whatever the gently caress RPG nerd language you're speaking.

Where does he say this?

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Nathilus posted:

I'm marking my calendar, this is the first time I've seen "imba" outside of a Korean MMO

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Do people actually care about balance in single player games?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wezlar posted:

Sometimes, like alchemy in TES games. But for a vidcon like Barkley? No.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wezlar posted:

Yes? Maybe its the kind of balance that you take for granted though.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hatbox Ghost posted:

You're saying the game is "pure irredeemable poo poo"

Might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said the game "obviously rules".

Also your comparison is poo poo, I'd have to try a LOT harder to mimic the truck pump.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 6, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Nathilus posted:

Might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said the game "obviously rules".

Also your comparison is poo poo, I'd have to try a LOT harder to mimic the truck pump.

Oh I see. It looked an awful lot like you were being sarcastic.

I still stand by my comparison, though. You are the truck pump.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Oh I see. It looked an awful lot like you were being sarcastic.

I still stand by my comparison, though. You are the truck pump.

Let me explain why you understanding the error of your ways and yet doubling down on your retarded opinion that was apparently birthed because you can't comprehend the English language is the stupidest thing I've read all week. Truck pump quotes are massively large rants about stupid BS in vidcons that no one except the author really gives a poo poo about. Combat balance is actually an important factor in making a fun game and showing a few examples when called out on putting that out there is not nearly as spergy as going on and on about the zeitgeist of modern vidcons. :downs:

...Okay, I concede. I can't think up enough retarded bullshit to type so that I could actually mimic the truck pump style.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Oh man a bunch of new replies to the Barkley thread, maybe there's been some news.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Nathilus posted:

I guess we got lucky.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nathilus posted:

... is garbage. The writing is garbage, albeit intentionally so. The save ...
You are the worst investigator. You literally picked up the murder weapon, looked at it, said 'hmm', then 'aah', then 'AH!', then 'or, nah' and put it down again and moved on.

The trick is that the writing is actually loving brilliant. (I think that ghosts are like dogs and kind of just do things arbitrarily.)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bisse posted:

You are the worst investigator. You literally picked up the murder weapon, looked at it, said 'hmm', then 'aah', then 'AH!', then 'or, nah' and put it down again and moved on.

The trick is that the writing is actually loving brilliant. (I think that ghosts are like dogs and kind of just do things arbitrarily.)

Yeah I hadn't really considered the fact that the writing is actually pretty brilliant. I guess it's because I like a lot of garbage cheeky writing that most people would just consider lovely. I'll admit it was a blind spot that is completely obvious in retrospect.

Chef Boyardee posted:

I guess we got lucky.

Well in that case we ALL got lucky because the game rules. Still chomping at the bit for the latest installment over here.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Nathilus posted:

Well in that case we ALL got lucky because the game rules. Still chomping at the bit for the latest installment over here.

WARNING...........there's gonna be a lot to chomp.

table breaking periods removed

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

don't; worry cboyardee. I'm a chomp master. I just got true ending of goblet grotto. I'm ready to chomp on anything