Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Game of Love is awesome though :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I realize it's sacrelidge to say this here, but the most skippable track to me (I won't say 'worst', because they're all great) is Beyond. I mean, I can appreciate it, but it just doesn't interest me like the rest of the album does.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Touch is actually my favourite song on the album. It actually goes somewhere when a lot of the songs kinda stick to the same loop.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Though its one of the less "fun" songs on the album, I'm beginning to love Within. I absolutely love the refrain, and the robot voice + "please tell me who I am" just sounds so right to me. Tragic sort of. I don't know, but I've woken up the past few days with the tune in my head.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
EDIT: beaten on New York news

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I skip Doin it Right every single time. I'll give it another chance tomorrow when I drive to work but it just doesn't work for me. Everything else though is grand. Panda Bear sounds like Matt from Matt and Kim to me. Okay I'm listening to it now and the vocals are just terrible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I actually liked it more after someone said it sounds like a Brian Wilson impression

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I actually liked it more after someone said it sounds like a Brian Wilson impression

IMO this applies to a lot of Panda Bear's stuff. To me the "if you lose your way tonight" chorus-y part of Doin' It Right is kind of a drag, but I still enjoy the song.

quote:

Though its one of the less "fun" songs on the album, I'm beginning to love Within. I absolutely love the refrain, and the robot voice + "please tell me who I am" just sounds so right to me. Tragic sort of. I don't know, but I've woken up the past few days with the tune in my head.

Agreed. I think the melody and chord changes are really, really nice. Maybe I am just a victim of successful marketing by the Chilly Gonzales Collaborators video, but the transition out of Giorgio is great.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Well, this happened.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Champagne beer pong... stay classy guys

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Guy-Manuel hasn't aged. Thomas looks like Pete Townshend before getting a haircut.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I would have been much happier if I found out there were actual robots under the robot masks.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I was already wishing I hadn't Google Imaged these guys the other week and ruined the illusion. That picture just amplifies that.

Not that they're horrifying monstrosities or anything, mind! It's just like being a toddler and watching Barney take his head piece off. You can still enjoy it after that, but it's different. Then again the only thing like this where finding out more about/seeing the people behind it I really like is the Muppets, so. v:shobon:v

EDIT: I like this post. \/

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 7, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
It's interesting how Touch is at first a soliloquy with Paul William's character awakening from a deep slumber, slowly regaining his senses and remembering what made life so beautiful.

Juxtaposed with his collaborators video in which he confesses that he had lost a great deal of his life to drugs and alcohol, its a very personal piece for him.

Then the robots come in, welcoming him back, telling him there is still a place for him in the world, and that love is the answer. After the first half of the album essentially being about the robots loneliness, finally finding a friend in Paul Williams is quite touching. I imagine after the past 20 years of his career, or lack of one, being approached by much younger people like Daft Punk to work on a project must have been really wonderful, and I think the song captures that feeling beautifully.

One thing I like about this album is that all the songs are in some way deeply personal. Even though on the surface some may not appear that way at all.

I also think it is cool how the album came out just before the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Considering the conflicting feelings of fans and the bitter opinions of some, its an interesting parallel.

Whether this album will be considered as influential as The Rite of Spring I have my doubts, but only time will tell. Sometimes being influential isn't always about pushing into the future, or coming up with something new. Daft Punk did that with Discovery. Sometimes you can be influential just by having presence, and by people consuming what you create. This album at first sounds rather radical and hard to listen to at first, much like the Rite of Spring was at the time. While RAM didn't cause a riot, it definitely did upset a few people. I also think many of the people it upset at first (myself included), have come around to liking it on some level, or even loving it.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 7, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I picked up my family to go to my sisters house , and I had the album playing (very quietly) and I caught my parents both humming along to fragments of time. My brother asked me who was playing and when I told him daft punk he was confused , but said he would buy it because he really loved the music. It has this rich sound that appeals to so many people, across many generations.

The more I listen to it , even songs like within which I usually skipped , are getting lots of playtime. My current obsession is beyond and doin it right. Driving home from work blasting doin it right is the best thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

somnambulist posted:

I picked up my family to go to my sisters house , and I had the album playing (very quietly) and I caught my parents both humming along to fragments of time. My brother asked me who was playing and when I told him daft punk he was confused , but said he would buy it because he really loved the music. It has this rich sound that appeals to so many people, across many generations.

The more I listen to it , even songs like within which I usually skipped , are getting lots of playtime. My current obsession is beyond and doin it right. Driving home from work blasting doin it right is the best thing.

Fragments Of Time is such a great, warm summer song. I played it 3 times today.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

somnambulist posted:

When I was in my car on my lunch the other day, I was listening to Doin' It Right and this suv pulls up and parks next to me and it's this older lady and a little kid just JAMMIN to Get Lucky. I thought my cd skipped or something because it's so odd hearing anyone else play the same song song/album much less Daft Punk :psyduck:

Also what the gently caress happened with Rageaholic Monkey's avatar

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Apparently the remix of Get Lucky will be 10 and a half minutes long. http://www.youredm.com/2013/06/06/daft-punks-get-lucky-remix-over-10-minutes-long-out-on-july-16th/

As one of the commenters says, I am "stoked."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

an skeleton posted:

Apparently the remix of Get Lucky will be 10 and a half minutes long. http://www.youredm.com/2013/06/06/daft-punks-get-lucky-remix-over-10-minutes-long-out-on-july-16th/

As one of the commenters says, I am "stoked."

I can't wait for everyone in this thread to get disappointed again.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I can't wait for everyone in this thread to get disappointed again.

I drank to cool-aid over 10 years ago, at this point Daft Punk could come out with ten and a half minutes of white noise and I'd give them money for it. To some that is sad, yes, but that never stopped Mets fans from buying tickets.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fragments Of Time is such a great, warm summer song. I played it 3 times today.

My family loves Hall and Oates, so I can't wait to play that song while we're all on vacation together next month.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Huh. Well how about that...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Holy.

poo poo.

It kills me that no one I know will understand just how funny that is. It never even crossed my mind that the human masks could be their actual faces.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How do you know that they weren't wearing human masks? I want to believe :(

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just noticed on The Game of Love the synth/vocoder solo around 3:30 has inhale sounds like the vocoder performer is still singing even though it would seem that no one would need to be performing vocals to get that particular sound, it's straight synth it seems. It seems like the effect they were going for was for the synth solo to sound like the vocoder voice was performing it which is pretty rad and why I'm posting. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about there not being any vocal input on that solo.

Edit: I think the first part of the solo might still use the vocal input but later I really can't hear it...maybe just that last breath was there unnecessarily. Maybe I'm making all this up.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 8, 2013

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I just noticed on The Game of Love the synth/vocoder solo around 3:30 has inhale sounds like the vocoder performer is still singing even though it would seem that no one would need to be performing vocals to get that particular sound, it's straight synth it seems. It seems like the effect they were going for was for the synth solo to sound like the vocoder voice was performing it which is pretty rad and why I'm posting. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about there not being any vocal input on that solo.

Edit: I think the first part of the solo might still use the vocal input but later I really can't hear it...maybe just that last breath was there unnecessarily. Maybe I'm making all this up.

I have no idea how it was accomplished, but I hear an inhale sound at both 3:36 and 4:03. :france:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've been prowling around for remixes to see what people are coming up with:

This was an interesting take on Contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znuj0skQGwc

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I would guess they're using what's called a "wind controller" or "breath controller" to control/modulate the flutey-sounding synth.

edit: like in the video on this page: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/usb-midi-breath-controller-by-tecontrol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I love most about this album is finding out about Nile Rodgers and how awesome his career has been.

Dude produced so many dance hits/albums - Let's Dance, Like a Virgin, most of Duran Duran's good poo poo. It's fascinating that I've never heard of him until now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I would guess they're using what's called a "wind controller" or "breath controller" to control/modulate the flutey-sounding synth.

edit: like in the video on this page: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/usb-midi-breath-controller-by-tecontrol

Thanks for the video!
What is weird about it though is that that type of thing wouldn't seem to pickup the inhale. If that's true it would mean they setup a regular mic just to record the inhales which is really cool and effective at what they seem to be going for with the human vs. machine deal.

Giorgio was talking about how they setup 3 different generations mics just to record his monologue.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That's a good observation. I hadn't noticed it the first time but now the breathing sticks out like a sore thumb. It's definitely deliberate, as if to tell us something about how human the singer is.

The entire solo sounds pretty vocal to me, like a robot humming. They probably recorded someone (thomas, i guess) humming and taking breaths when needed, while playing a synth along with it, and then blended them together with a vocoder. If you record someone taking a breath and vocode it, it sounds something like that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Was a full music video for Get Lucky ever released or was there just that teaser?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Dacap posted:

Was a full music video for Get Lucky ever released or was there just that teaser?
They said no music videos for the album.

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"
This is a good album. I've never really listened to DP before but I can listen to this on repeat all day long.

Also, my three year old demands I play "Doin' it right" every time we're in the car (and sometimes at home). She refers to it as the "gooey gooey" song for some reason...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Sounds like she's gooeying it right? :v:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
This Daft Punk produced Kanye track seems pretty awesome imho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGXW3kqdnM

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

it's kinda funny people rushed into their studios to make dubsteb tracks of all the material.

https://soundcloud.com/yashargasanov/daft-punk-lose-yourself-to

I actually dont mind it, but be prepared for wub wub wub wub wub.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That kanye track sounded hot but some of his laugh lines...more like yeeshy

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hammsturabi posted:

That's a good observation. I hadn't noticed it the first time but now the breathing sticks out like a sore thumb.
You'll like this then, I can't unhear it:

The vocal cut right after the very last word Giorgio Moroder says in his song (at ~5:14) isn't very smooth (almost ameteurish in my opinion, but what do I know), and you can hear a sharp intake of breath right as he finishes speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You'll like this then, I can't unhear it:

The vocal cut right after the very last word Giorgio Moroder says in his song (at ~5:14) isn't very smooth (almost ameteurish in my opinion, but what do I know), and you can hear a sharp intake of breath right as he finishes speaking.

i hate that part, i hear it EVERYTIME. "what to do............................" *breath*

• Locked thread