Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Guy on my craigslist with a Rectoverb combo looking to trade in for an Orange / Marshall / Fender / Vox. I've got an AC30 - comparable price range & power - and I do love Mesa stuff. Also a little redundant since I also have an AC4. Anything bad about the Rectoverbs compared to their higher dollar offerings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Revvik posted:

Guy on my craigslist with a Rectoverb combo looking to trade in for an Orange / Marshall / Fender / Vox. I've got an AC30 - comparable price range & power - and I do love Mesa stuff. Also a little redundant since I also have an AC4. Anything bad about the Rectoverbs compared to their higher dollar offerings?
Not that I know of, I loved mine, it has a wide range of tones and held up well to being tossed around a lot.

INCREDIBLY picky about tubes, like most Mesas.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Not that I know of, I loved mine, it has a wide range of tones and held up well to being tossed around a lot.

INCREDIBLY picky about tubes, like most Mesas.

I went for it. Gets great tones at sane volumes and cranks to match my AC30 for volume. Though I guess since I can play at home with it I can liquidate my AC4. And probably all my distortion pedals because, drat Mesa!

Dude who got my AC30 rocked a Jazzmaster into it with some great sounds, so he's happy too!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

I went for it. Gets great tones at sane volumes and cranks to match my AC30 for volume. Though I guess since I can play at home with it I can liquidate my AC4. And probably all my distortion pedals because, drat Mesa!

Dude who got my AC30 rocked a Jazzmaster into it with some great sounds, so he's happy too!
Hell yeah, grats man!
Take some time, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and learn how the EQ on that thing works. Mesas sometimes get a bad rap over them because they're sort of 'linked' in a way and it confuses people for some reason. Once you figure it out it's AMAZINGLY versatile and you can pretty much use that amp for damned near ANY genre of music.

I've actually been looking at them again (even though I picked up a nice head recently) just because they're loving perfect for throwing in the truck to go jam or something. I miss mine a lot.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm about to upgrade my amplifier and I've got a sizable but flexible budget.

Right now I'm looking at a Blackstar HT-60, a Vox TB35C2 (the Tony Bruno-designed 212), a Vox AC30cc2x, a Matchless Chieftain and possibly a Dr. Z combo if I can find one for under $2500 somehow.

Does anybody own one of these or has anyone tested them out? I'm having a hard time finding anything but the Blackstar and the AC30 in local stores.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
if you don't need a 2x12, you should consider the 65amps Ventura. I have one, and it is ludicrously good.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Oh my. That is a really delicious sound coming out of that tiny little thing. I don't suppose they make a 2z12 extension cab? This is going to be for touring so I really wanted to keep it down to one piece...but I could make an exception for that since the head is so small.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's a general consensus on the engl fireball? I'm looking for a good high gain but low watt amp and the 60 looks exactly like what I want, but its kinda expensive. Do you guys know of anything similar to that or like a 5150 that's around 50 or less watts? Ideally I want as little headroom as possible. Combo or head doesn't matter by the way.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Stayne Falls posted:

Oh my. That is a really delicious sound coming out of that tiny little thing. I don't suppose they make a 2z12 extension cab? This is going to be for touring so I really wanted to keep it down to one piece...but I could make an exception for that since the head is so small.
I think they make a 2x12 cab, but there's also the London Pro. I haven't tried it myself, but after hearing the Ventura, the Lil Elvis, and the Producer, I don't know that it's possible to go wrong with one of 65's amps.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Francostein posted:

What's a general consensus on the engl fireball? I'm looking for a good high gain but low watt amp and the 60 looks exactly like what I want, but its kinda expensive. Do you guys know of anything similar to that or like a 5150 that's around 50 or less watts? Ideally I want as little headroom as possible. Combo or head doesn't matter by the way.

If you're looking for a 5150-style voicing a boosted VTM 60 or maybe a Valveking combo. Maybe it's the soundman or individual player's tastes but every band I've seen with an ENGL they've always sounded thin and a little shrill, though they always sound good in demos or futzing with them in person.

The 6505 1x12 combo is only 60 watts too.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The Valveking does not sound like a 5150.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've tried out the VK and it's distortion is a really neutered version of the 5150. I was also looking at the thunderverb 50w but that's still pretty much full price even on ebay, while the 5150/recto/jcm800 are cheap as dirt on ebay but are way too loud for what I'm looking for.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Have you tried looking at the 5150III Mini? It's 50watts, sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ha, forgot about that little guy. It's about the price of a mini recto so I'll consider it. I was also looking at the jim root terror from orange (or just the regular dark terror) but I'm such a picky little sperglord that I'm still not really sold on anything.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Francostein posted:

Ha, forgot about that little guy. It's about the price of a mini recto so I'll consider it. I was also looking at the jim root terror from orange (or just the regular dark terror) but I'm such a picky little sperglord that I'm still not really sold on anything.

I like the Dark Terror for metal applications but I found it difficult to get drastically different sounds out of it. It's a one trick pony with a good trick, but that tends to be the case with most Orange amps.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Humbucker music has the best pricing I've ever seen on Orange equipment.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

I like the Dark Terror for metal applications but I found it difficult to get drastically different sounds out of it. It's a one trick pony with a good trick, but that tends to be the case with most Orange amps.

Sounds exactly like the jcm800, and I love that amp. I'd like something that has two channels but at this point I don't care too much. Semi related: on eBay there's a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab with included flight case for 475+whatever for shipping. Do you guys think that's a good deal? I'm currently not feeling it that well so I doubt ill pick it up.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Francostein posted:

Sounds exactly like the jcm800, and I love that amp. I'd like something that has two channels but at this point I don't care too much. Semi related: on eBay there's a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab with included flight case for 475+whatever for shipping. Do you guys think that's a good deal? I'm currently not feeling it that well so I doubt ill pick it up.
That actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me if the flight case looks to be solid.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

iostream.h posted:

That actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me if the flight case looks to be solid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-1922-Cabinet-2x12-with-Custom-made-ATA-Flight-Case-/400344501875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d36644e73

I'm not going to buy it but maybe someone else in this thread would like it. It seems like a stellar deal for about 600 total.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Francostein posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-1922-Cabinet-2x12-with-Custom-made-ATA-Flight-Case-/400344501875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d36644e73

I'm not going to buy it but maybe someone else in this thread would like it. It seems like a stellar deal for about 600 total.

poo poo, I'd snap that up in an instant if I needed a 2x12.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I just got a Mustang v2 and I love it. I'm sure it's poo poo compared to "real" tube amps but its really working out well for me, a total beginner.

Can anyone recommend some presets to download?

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I've been playing acoustic guitar for a little while now, still using a bunch of poo poo gear I got when I first started 10 years ago, when I didn't know how serious I was going to be about it, so I think it's about time I started upgrading a lot of my gear. I'm basically looking for an acoustic amp at the moment but I'm not really sure about what I'm meant to be looking for because I've never really dabbled on the electronics side of guitars. I just don't want it to be a weedy practice amp, so something a little bigger. I'm not too interested in built in effects or anything like that and I would say my budget is probably somewhere around $1500 (if I have to get it delivered to me).

I hear the Acoustasonic thrown around a lot, but I haven't had a chance to go in and play one yet (I'll go and do that when I get a bit more time). Apart from getting some general recommendations, I was also wondering if anyone could tell me how the Fishman Loudboxes are? What caught my eye was that they have tweeters/midrange speakers built in, a good array of outputs, have enough power for small venues, and it seems like they might also accomodate vocals pretty well if I choose to run a loop station or something through it as well. I checked a bunch of music stores around Sydney and I don't think any of them stock it so I can't go in to try it, but judging from what I've seen online reading and watching videos, I'm pretty interested in what it has to offer and how it sounds.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I ended up going with the Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic TA-30 1x12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6abXIO1Kk

This is a demonstration of the head/cab but I got the combo. It sounds fantastic so far and is surprisingly versatile. Also loud as poo poo. It's got a master volume but it can get pretty noisy so I also wound up getting an ISP Decimator noise gate pedal with it.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I'd like some input regarding a small dilemma I'm having regarding a new amp purchase.

I love the Vox sound, particularly that of the AC30. I have the opportunity to get an AC30CCH at around $450, about the same price as a used AC15C1. A head would be extremely convenient since I already have a cabinet. Naturally, the AC30 is going to be tough to use in an apartment. I've played the AC15 and I like how it breaks up earlier than the AC30, but the tone just does not sound the same to me. I really don't want to compromise on tone, especially when I can get this head at the price of a used AC15.

My other option would be to just compromise and go with a used AC15C1, but then I'd have to lug around this big combo and also not have all of the fun switches and knobs the AC30 has. At least I could pair it with my existing cab.

What should I do? Take the plunge on the AC30 and make it work for my situation, or compromise on the AC15 and learn to love it while dreaming of what could have been?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Chalets the Baka posted:

I'd like some input regarding a small dilemma I'm having regarding a new amp purchase.

I love the Vox sound, particularly that of the AC30. I have the opportunity to get an AC30CCH at around $450, about the same price as a used AC15C1. A head would be extremely convenient since I already have a cabinet. Naturally, the AC30 is going to be tough to use in an apartment. I've played the AC15 and I like how it breaks up earlier than the AC30, but the tone just does not sound the same to me. I really don't want to compromise on tone, especially when I can get this head at the price of a used AC15.

My other option would be to just compromise and go with a used AC15C1, but then I'd have to lug around this big combo and also not have all of the fun switches and knobs the AC30 has. At least I could pair it with my existing cab.

What should I do? Take the plunge on the AC30 and make it work for my situation, or compromise on the AC15 and learn to love it while dreaming of what could have been?

Invest in an attenuator; don't compromise what you want in sound

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A good attenuator is something you're going to keep forever because it shouldn't color your sound, just make it less loud. Definitely get one.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Alright so here's a bit of a puzzler: for the same (used) price, do I buy a Single Rectifier or a Mini Rectifier?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

One thing to consider is what kind of speaker cab you already have. If it's a 2x12 with Celestion blues, it will sound like an AC30. Other cabinets and speaker types will have a significant effect on the sound, for better or worse. But you can't expect to plug an AC30 head into a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks and expect it to sound like an AC30 combo.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
What if it's a 4x12 with Alnico Blues? Or does having the ideal sound mean it absolutely needs to be a 2x12?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

What if it's a 4x12 with Alnico Blues? Or does having the ideal sound mean it absolutely needs to be a 2x12?
The Alnico Blues are the key part, having a 4x12 is just adding some bass and a bit of overall volume.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Right. There's also another part of the equation I've overlooked: the controversy of the Custom Classic series versus the newer Custom. In the course of researching this amp I've read people cursing the CC line in terms of both tone and reliability. Are they really that inferior to the the newer ones? I've only played an AC30C2 and really like it, but if the CC is as bad as some say, then I don't want to make a mistake.

More concerned about reliability issues than tone, since I plan to do some modifications to it anyway.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 18, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

Heres the thing, what actually is "apartment volume" for you? Because an ac15 is still loud enough to gently caress with your neighbors. Might it be better to just get the amp which can kick it properly at shows?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

More concerned about reliability issues than tone, since I plan to do some modifications to it anyway.
I had an AC30CCH for a while and it was pretty reliable and not a huge deal to change tubes on or anything (watch out for the wire to the reverb tank, it's in a weird spot and you'll yank it out when you pull the chassis if you're not careful). Don't however vomit a mixture of Jagermeister and Soju into it. They don't like that.

I've just got to say, I've been through an utter shitload of amps (I've been playing for almost 30 years now) and I've never been as happy with one as I am with my Jubilee. I kicked myself after selling my first one for so long, kept going through amp after amp, mod after mod and now that I've got another one I'm just so satisfied. When you find 'the one', don't loving be a dumbass and sell it, seriously.

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

Here is my Laney GH100S. It's a pretty basic amp, without any special features. Single channel, all gain stages permanently engaged. With a proper overdrive pedal, thing will rip your tits off.

The cabinet I have is a Marshall JCM900 1960A, and is sadly sitting in storage some 2,000 miles away.

My plan right now is to build a 1x12 isolation cabinet with a celestion speaker, so that i can record it in my apartment. Does anyone have experience with isolation cabinets?

Edit: Should I go with a power attenuator instead?

Also, El Gat.

seat chafe fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 24, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ahh that thing loving owns. Its like a grindy as hell JCM800.

I've got a VH100 which is supposedly the same thing+clean channel but its too heavy and just sits in my basement.

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

massive spider posted:

its too heavy and just sits in my basement.

I just moved to a major city and no longer drive a car. I have no idea what I am doing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

seat chafe posted:

My plan right now is to build a 1x12 isolation cabinet with a celestion speaker, so that i can record it in my apartment. Does anyone have experience with isolation cabinets?

Edit: Should I go with a power attenuator instead?

Also, El Gat.
I've yet to see an iso that wouldn't get you evicted pretty quickly. Power attenuators too, maybe some sort of DI cab sim system would be your best bet (I think some new attenuators can do this).

There's just no real way these things ever work out well in an apartment.

Edit: Haha, this just reminded me of living in the Army barracks, we had an ADA unit across the quad with a HORRIBLE band one weekend so we shoved each of my 4x12s into a window facing them and I replaced their guitar player for a while. At the time it would have been either a JCM800 or a 900, fun days back then, we were dicks, but it was hilarious.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 25, 2013

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody have any experience with old '50s/'60s Bogen PA amps repurposed as guitar amps? There's a Bogen Challenger CHA 33 for $250 at a shop in town plugged into a 4x12 that I played a few nights ago, and the thing hauls rear end. I dialed in a better stoner rock tone on that thing than I can get out of any amp I have currently. $250 is in the high range of what they seem to go for, so I'm just curious if anyone's familiar with them and what they think of them.

Looks like this:

seat chafe
Jun 7, 2013

iostream.h posted:

I've yet to see an iso that wouldn't get you evicted pretty quickly. Power attenuators too, maybe some sort of DI cab sim system would be your best bet (I think some new attenuators can do this).

With a power attenuator like the THD Hot Plate, I should be able to run the head without a cab at all, and line-out into my computer.

Thinking more about it... Given that an iso cab isn't going to sound much like a 1960 4x12, I may as well just use the power attenuator with a software cab sim. Yuck :C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Cab simulation has gotten really good over the past couple years.