Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This is how my college campus is. I think that if someone were being murdered in front of a large crowd, no one would do a single thing. We have a very mind your own business attitude here. I don't know if that is scary or not to be honest. :stare:

Where is your college? I've never been at a place like that. Every campus I've seen would have multiple people confront any difficulty.
Reference: Central and South Midwest.

Edit: Well I guess Boston University would be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Where is your college? I've never been at a place like that. Every campus I've seen would have multiple people confront any difficulty.
Reference: Central and South Midwest.

Edit: Well I guess Boston University would be like that.

I go to a school in Arizona. Arizona is a terrible place to begin with anyways.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Bob Morales posted:

They do make a lockable 'dock' for the Air, and then there's this thing:

http://marianneschultz.com/2009/03/27/macbook/

It's at least somewhat effective.

Back in the day, when I used a bronze powerbook g3 for work, they got us 3rd party dock connectors, since nearly all the interconnects were on the back of the laptop, and you just kind of slid the thing in. Not elegant, but it certainly worked. The dock itself had a kensington lock port on it, which they secured to the desks.

While I trusted that no one in my office would steal, I was amused by the fact that all you had to do was slide the ($4000) laptop out of the secured ($80) dock and walk away with it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I said come in! posted:

Yeah the school I went to (Arizona State) has one of the worst bike theft/vandalism problems I've ever seen and pretty much no one seems to care. I've heard of laptops being stolen off of desks at the libraries while people were away and fellow students/friends were supposed to be watching. It's pretty bad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I said come in! posted:

Don't worry, the students for concealed carry will take care of it. (I think we attend the same school).

And yeah, people don't seem to care, someone decided the rules didn't apply to them and tried to break into the cabinets in our club's room and at least one person "thought they had permission."

More on topic: as far as the locks go, I just find myself taking the laptop with me when I go somewhere (unless it's my own room) and even though I thought I'd use one of those Kensington locks, I just don't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

carry on then posted:

Don't worry, the students for concealed carry will take care of it. (I think we attend the same school).

Yep pretty positive we go to the same school (NAU). :)

Which club room was this?

Our school has a lot of computer theft, and drug use. Not that I think the drug use should be illegal anyways. :v: But lots of computer theft. Also apparently sexual assault according to my roommate who works at the schools police department.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I have friends at NAU and it seems like a pretty chill school. What gives?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been to NAU for two years (EE/ME)... it is a chill school but I don't know how you guys survive living in Flagstaff. Eeugh.

That said, my 2010 13" has finally gotten a little too slow to bear. It's got 8gb of ram, 115gb Corsair SSD, and a 500GB 5400 rpm drive in the optical bay. If I wanted to spend $1000-ish used with preference towards a 15" what should I be getting year/CPU/GPU wise? Should I look for a r13 or r15 or stick with a MBP? I don't play games - just Lightroom, VirtualBox, FCP, watch videos, and browse funny cat pictures. I love resolution (screen real estate).

Stock ram and HDD are not an issue and are not to be included in price consideration.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 4, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been to NAU for two years (EE/ME)... it is a chill school but I don't know how you guys survive living in Flagstaff. Eeugh.

That said, my 2010 13" has finally gotten a little too slow to bear. It's got 8gb of ram, 115gb Corsair SSD, and a 500GB 5400 rpm drive in the optical bay. If I wanted to spend $1000-ish used with preference towards a 15" what should I be getting year/CPU/GPU wise? Should I look for a r13 or r15 or stick with a MBP? I don't play games - just Lightroom, VirtualBox, FCP, watch videos, and browse funny cat pictures. I love resolution (screen real estate).

Stock ram and HDD are not an issue and are not to be included in price consideration.
Depending on whether you can get it for around your budget, 15" retina is probably what you want. I've got one for Dev stuff at work (mainly in VMs through Fusion) and it's stupidly powerful for a laptop. The default retina screen mode is the equivalent of 1440x900 but you can change it to be effectively 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 although it's not quite as sharp as the native retina mode (but still sharper than a normal screen). Also, while you're on the go if you're not using the discrete graphics you'll get 8-10 hours of battery life out of it easily. The only downside might be storage if you pick one up with 256GB since you currently have the mechanical drive for large storage.

Since the new ones are likely to be announced on Monday you might be able to pick one up that someone's trying to sell to upgrade to the new one for cheaper than normal if you look at craigslist or whatever your local equivalent is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I made a post in LAN to continue the Flagstaff chat.

As far as used machines, I think the biggest thing to step up would be to a dedicated GPU, so 15" cMBP would be your best bet. Anything from the past two years would probably be better than the 320M. Maybe a 15-inch with the high resolution screen, if you could find one. I don't think used prices on rMBPs are down to $1000 yet. See what happens to prices in a week when new machines could be announced, too.

That or do what I'm about to do and build a PC. I think the Parts Thread's performance gamer system comes in at around $1000 if you don't mind using Windows for whatever you can't accomplish on the MBP. I take it you have an external monitor if you have a 13" MBP, I couldn't imagine being without one for mine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

carry on then posted:

I made a post in LAN to continue the Flagstaff chat.

As far as used machines, I think the biggest thing to step up would be to a dedicated GPU, so 15" cMBP would be your best bet. Anything from the past two years would probably be better than the 320M. Maybe a 15-inch with the high resolution screen, if you could find one. I don't think used prices on rMBPs are down to $1000 yet. See what happens to prices in a week when new machines could be announced, too.

That or do what I'm about to do and build a PC. I think the Parts Thread's performance gamer system comes in at around $1000 if you don't mind using Windows for whatever you can't accomplish on the MBP. I take it you have an external monitor if you have a 13" MBP, I couldn't imagine being without one for mine.

Not interested in building a PC - I moved to OSX in 2006 and haven't touched Windows since... not looking to go back either.
Maybe the r15 will drop in price next week if another comes out - looks like they are still hovering above $1500 locally. Too bad. I'll keep my eyes open for a HR c15. :/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I doubt the retinas will fall to the $1k mark for awhile, since the 15" is only just a year old, and the base model was over twice that. In my opinion, the 1680x1050 screen on the normal 15" is quite nice despite not having as good of viewing angles; there's plenty of room.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Just a quick stupid question. I have the i7 15" high res screen MBP and I currently have a 120GB SSD drive installed into it from which I do boot camp. Not a huge fan of a 60/60GB split on my OS and I was looking to put a bigger SSD into the computer (at least 250GB). What SSDs do MBPs tend to like over others? I believe the 120GB that I am using now is a SanDisk but a lot of the recommendations for SSDs that I see are Samsung because they're the default that get installed when you order one with an SSD. Not sure which direction to go.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Buy whatever you can afford. Samsungs are better/faster but you're basically paying for a speed difference that you'd never notice with human senses. I have several SanDisk Extremes and a Samsung 830 / Samsung 840 Pro and they are all top notch. Maybe the only difference I notice is that when I manually run a TRIM command (by entering fsck -fy in Terminal) that the Samsungs perform TRIM in less than 3-5 seconds, and the SanDisk takes 5-10 seconds. Big whoop as you may never have to do it manually ever.

Right now SanDisk Extremes are 240 GB for $150 and 480 GB for $350 on Amazon, both are excellent prices. If you're dong Boot Camp I wouldn't do it with anything less than a 200+ GB drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 480GB SanDisk Extreme is $299 at TigerDirect

http://slickdeals.net/f/6069008-San...-SSD-299-99-S-H

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

For those who have fusion drives (roll your own or factory configured), tell me about your experience with heavy workloads. Have you experienced any issues / nuances with production software that requires a lot of caching, rendering, fragmenting, or otherwise temporarily-huge-files? I'm attracted to it because I'd like to make more use of my SSD and I'd like cleaner backups, but I wouldn't do it at the cost of speed. I'm guessing at any given time I'm only working with 40-60GB of project files on my internal HDD. It seems irresponsible to tell, for example After Effects, to use a a media cache folder on the same "drive" as the source footage- or the .app itself for that matter. I'm having no issues now segregating my data manually, I'm just curious about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It would probably depend on the size of your SSD. I'm using a 256GB SSD with a 3TB HDD for my Fusion setup, and I don't think they're much Fusion-ing happening yet since I've only used about 170GB. I'll get back to you as my Lightroom library continues to grow. :shobon:

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Anyone happen to know if the processor on a mid-2007 MacBook is soldered onto the logic board? I'm thinking of pulling it from a broken computer and installing it in an older iMac.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Instrumedley posted:

Anyone happen to know if the processor on a mid-2007 MacBook is soldered onto the logic board? I'm thinking of pulling it from a broken computer and installing it in an older iMac.
Off the top of my head I'd guess yeah, since afaik all the MacBooks have used soldered chips.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It would probably depend on the size of your SSD. I'm using a 256GB SSD with a 3TB HDD for my Fusion setup, and I don't think they're much Fusion-ing happening yet since I've only used about 170GB. I'll get back to you as my Lightroom library continues to grow. :shobon:

Doesn't the fusioning process only use something like two or four gigs of space before it starts moving stuff to the spinning drive?

There were some early tests done with large file copies and other activities that used temp space, and there got to be a point where it just started to use the platter instead of the SSD.

Would be awesome to know if the larger SSD made a difference...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Doesn't the fusioning process only use something like two or four gigs of space before it starts moving stuff to the spinning drive?

There were some early tests done with large file copies and other activities that used temp space, and there got to be a point where it just started to use the platter instead of the SSD.

Weren't the early homemade fusion drives just spanned volumes and weren't doing any caching?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bob Morales posted:

Weren't the early homemade fusion drives just spanned volumes and weren't doing any caching?

There is no caching with fusion drives; it's basically doing drive spanning with the SSD having write priority. The system uses all available space (less a 4GB zone to help improve overall write speed) of the SSD before touching the HDD. If your data is larger than the SSD's capacity then it tries to keep the less used bits on the HDD and the more frequently accessed files on the SSD.

So yes, a larger SSD should help in a Fusion setup because it increases the amount of data that can be stored on the faster device.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 5, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/sys/3768244776.html

Is this a decent deal? I know it's a mid 2011 based on the RAM listed and the CPU, but still. Picture is obviously fake and I'd be meeting him in person to buy and check everything anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is it fake? If it's from Winter 2012 that's what it's going to look like

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The 9to5 Mac watermark, I think.

edit: Yep, stolen image http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/12/first-new-27-inch-imac-orders-begin-delivering-to-customers/

edit2: and the article is about the 2012 iMacs, not 2011 models. I would actually be pretty surprised if this isn't a scam ad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably a stolen computer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is it fake? If it's from Winter 2012 that's what it's going to look like

Winter '12 would be the late 2012 iMac... which, as you know, was the body change. 8GB was the default ram in the 27" and the low end CPU was a 2.9ghz i5.

carry on then posted:

The 9to5 Mac watermark, I think.

edit: Yep, stolen image http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/12/first-new-27-inch-imac-orders-begin-delivering-to-customers/

edit2: and the article is about the 2012 iMacs, not 2011 models. I would actually be pretty surprised if this isn't a scam ad.

That's what I was thinking... but at the same time if he is willing to meet me tomorrow then...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If they're willing to meet then they're probably legit, just probably too lazy/computer illiterate to get a real photo. Or banking on you being one of those and falling for a P-P-P-Powerbook-esque prank but I doubt that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

carry on then posted:

If they're willing to meet then they're probably legit, just probably too lazy/computer illiterate to get a real photo. Or banking on you being one of those and falling for a P-P-P-Powerbook-esque prank but I doubt that.

Well, the p-p-p-powerbook is a blast from the past. :lol:

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Wanted to give Facetime a test now I've got higher upload speed at home, but was presented with this rather unhappy looking mess when the built in camera (Retina Macbook 15) initialised itself:

I did a power off / cold boot and it was still doing this. I tried doing the hardware diagnostics by holding D when it booted up, but it ran through without a problem. It does also affect other apps, like Skype / Photo Booth too.

Anyone seen this / know what the fix is, or should I pretty much just get it booked in to the nearest Apple Store for a check?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

Or banking on you carrying money to buy the machine so they can rob you :ese:

...so where exactly are you meeting up? Panera Bread is known to be iMac friendly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I asked about RAID cards ages ago, as it turns out the RocketRAID 2720SGL is OS X compatible without explicitly being supported.
$200 gamble paid off for once.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

andyf posted:

Wanted to give Facetime a test now I've got higher upload speed at home, but was presented with this rather unhappy looking mess when the built in camera (Retina Macbook 15) initialised itself:

I did a power off / cold boot and it was still doing this. I tried doing the hardware diagnostics by holding D when it booted up, but it ran through without a problem. It does also affect other apps, like Skype / Photo Booth too.

Anyone seen this / know what the fix is, or should I pretty much just get it booked in to the nearest Apple Store for a check?

A user had the same problem with an MBA. It's the camera. Take it to a fruit stand and they'll replace the whole top part.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

kuskus posted:

For those who have fusion drives (roll your own or factory configured), tell me about your experience with heavy workloads. Have you experienced any issues / nuances with production software that requires a lot of caching, rendering, fragmenting, or otherwise temporarily-huge-files? I'm attracted to it because I'd like to make more use of my SSD and I'd like cleaner backups, but I wouldn't do it at the cost of speed. I'm guessing at any given time I'm only working with 40-60GB of project files on my internal HDD. It seems irresponsible to tell, for example After Effects, to use a a media cache folder on the same "drive" as the source footage- or the .app itself for that matter. I'm having no issues now segregating my data manually, I'm just curious about it.

I bought 3.4 maxed out imac with 2GB 680MX, 3TB fusion drive, still have the 8gb default ram in it. I mostly do photography so I don't really get any multi gig files (mostly a lot of 20-100mb photos). It's so goddamn fast I don't notice any slow down. There is a short splash screen on lightroom and photoshop but that's it. Everything else launches with a single dock bounce. It's just one of things you don't put any thought into anymore because it's a non-issue.

I don't know if this helpful or not, but I was doing some handbreak conversion to put some random format videos into itunes. It took less than 5 minutes to convert 1.5 gig hour and a half video.

The only time I've gotten the system to occasionally sputter is when I open 60+ tabs at the same time on Safari, including some flash sites. Sometimes it'll freeze for a couple seconds, but then goes away. I'm guessing if I had more ram, it wouldn't be a problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
MacRumors is talking Mac Pro again.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/05/apple-planning-something-really-different-for-new-mac-pro/

MacRumors posted:

The new Mac Pro model, expected later this year, is "something really different" according to a video professional who says he spoke with the Mac Pro product manager.

Writing on the RedUser.net forum, Andrew Baird says he spoke to Mac Pro project manager Douglas Brooks on the phone after emailing CEO Tim Cook with his concerns about the lack of a new professional tower from Apple over the past few years.

Baird told MacRumors that the call didn't include any specific details about when the new machine would be released, nor its specifications -- however, he was assured several times that the new Mac Pro would be worth the wait. Brooks told him that the machine would be released later this year.

For what it's worth - a couple of months ago I received a call from Douglas Brooks, Apples project manager for the new Mac Pro to address my concerns about the new machine. Obviously he didn't tell me anything about the new MP, but asked me what I wanted to see. I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things. His reply was simple:

"You are going to be really glad that you waited [to buy a new tower]. We are doing something really different here and I think you're going to be very excited when you see what we've been up to. I can't wait to show this off".

That conversation gave me enough confidence to wait for the new machine. I'm looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
Somewhat corroborating Baird's phone call, Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPU's and no FireWire or optical drive.

In mid-2012, after a minor update to the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC, Tim Cook confirmed to a fan that new Mac Pros were coming in 2013, which was later reiterated by an Apple spokesman. It has also been rumored that the new Mac Pro would be the first Apple computer in years to be 'Made in the USA'.

If this has any truth behind it, then maybe the "bunch of Thunderbolt-connected boxes" theories haven't been that far off. I'm imagining Apple selling the Mac Pro as a series of individual modules: The "Mac Pro" itself being basically just a CPU and RAM in a box, and then connected to external GPUs and storage bays and peripherals as the individual owner sees fit (or can afford). That way, people upgrade whatever components they want when they want by buying new modules. One year you buy a new GPU, the next year you add another RAID box, and eventually you swap in a new CPU hub.

If you think about it, this way might end up being more economically feasible for a lot of people than buying whole new Mac Pros every few years. Particularly since a Thunderbolt drive bay full of SSDs isn't going to be rendered obsolete for a seriously long time.

Packing on a bunch of internal storage like the current Mac Pro doesn't really make sense either since most professionals usually opt for putting their work stuff on external storage anyway.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 6, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I've been wondering about that concept for a while. Apple is definitely not the only manufacturer pursuing designs like that, but they're far more likely to throw it out there and see if it sticks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

One year you buy a new GPU, the next year you add another RAID box, and eventually you swap in a new CPU hub.

If you think about it, this way might end up being more economically feasible for a lot of people than buying whole new Mac Pros every few years. Particularly since a Thunderbolt drive bay full of SSDs isn't going to be rendered obsolete for a seriously long time.

Packing on a bunch of internal storage like the current Mac Pro doesn't really make sense either since most professionals usually opt for putting their work stuff on external storage anyway.

But those professionals also typically always first have those files stored locally I thought, with the external storage serving more as a backup or used when needing to transport the files?

There's also the issue that so far the use of GPUs over Thunderbolt hasn't really been something considered too viable for graphics-intensive usages given that it equates to a 4x PCIe connection. Thunderbolt 2.0 will help, but that isn't until 2014.

I'm sure Apple has something "amazing" planned for the Mac Pro, but if it goes down this line I fear they should simply focus on an "amazing" good bye tour to it...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
<opens new Mac Pro case to find eight Mac Minis crammed inside>

It's the most amazing Mac desktop ever.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Man, macrumors. If you read into the article, they basically said "we heard from the kid down the road's friend that Apple are going to do something amazing and mindblowing."
That's not news. I also don't see how they will do anything different. It's a computer, unless they add wheels to it or something.

I wouldn't hold your breath or anything. It'll be expensive as poo poo, whatever it is. If you have the know how, probably better to make yourself a hackintosh.
It's pretty feasible, a lot of my friends have had their running for a couple of years now.

(For the record, I once bought a G4 tower. Good machine for back then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think most businesses/professionals who would use a mac pro would use a hackintosh for their work. They're generally pretty stable, but when every bit of downtime or trouble potentially costs you a lot of money, it's better to pay more and get a secure and stable machine. For the record, I've been exclusively using a hackintosh and it's been extremely stable over the past 6 months - but occasionally my stock trading program will crash, and it never did on my macbook air- but that could be coincidental with newer versions of java causing problems, not necessarily the machine.