Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

I thought I'd do a quick colour test on the Judwan team I'm painting this month, and then I thought I could make it a quick colour test and do some speed painting.

So, yesterday afternoon-

And this afternoon-

With a not-backlit, almost useful light source-

The yellow backplate is for the player number decal, which I'll be adding at the end.

Parts list, while I'm at it-
Eyes- Vallejo Foul Green + GW Nuln Oil + Vallejo Foul Green + Vallejo Sick Green
Teeth- GW Screaming Skull + GW Skull White + GW Agrax Earthshade
Bodysuit- Vallejo Sombre Grey + GW Nuln Oil + Vallejo Sombre Grey & Vallejo Stonewall Grey
Skin- Vallejo Stonewall Grey + GW Nuln Oil + Vallejo Stonewall Grey & GW Skull White
Suit Plating- GW Enchanted Blue + GW Asurmen Blue + GW Enchanted Blue & GW Ice Blue
Backplate- GW Iyanden Darksun + GW Flash Gitz Yellow + GW Seraphim Sepia
Metal- GW Boltgun Metal + GW Mithril Silver + GW Nuln Oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath that I will paint the original (they've since been resculpted) starter box for Thaniras Elves from Spartan games for the month of June! The set consists of 10 ships in all including 6 frigates, 3 cruisers, and 1 battleship. The scale is 1/600.

Illudere fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 6, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Sole.Sushi posted:

3 Points: Germ!

loving hell man, way to start your oathing carrier! It's one thing to go through the trouble to do the golds with that process you went through, which came out looking fantastic, but to pair it up with a mottled, stony turquoise just nails the Necron pseudo-Egyptian theme. It's different, it's great looking; artistically, it speaks volumes, which really blew me away.

Holy poo poo! Thanks a million for the kind words and for the vote of confidence!

I'll be oathing a bit late this month, not because I'm not working on it, but because I have a bit of work to do before I can have an unpainted oathable model to photograph. I may be being a bit ambitious, but I'm going to try scratch-building, molding, and resin casting my models before painting them. Perhaps a bit stupid, but this month's Detektivs Jurnal inspired me.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
It is well deserved. Your scythes are incredible and I am sorely tempted to rip off your color scheme in its entirety. If I were not already trying [failing] to replicate the Maynarkh colors out of IA12 I would be.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

I am also claiming the Sins of my youth bonus, this is made up personal thing that gains me 0 points, but 100 self esteem points. These are from my childhood, I was about ten when I painted these the first time, and I need to atone for this. Luckily, I'm a packrat, and found a load of arms and weapons that go with these guys.

I've added a Canadan weapon team to bulk up the squad, as it seems GW moved from British 8 men sections to the US style 10 man squad - most likely to sell 2 extra models. If you thought the paint scheme on the last lot was bad, look what pre-teen me did to these guys.....

I have no idea what kind of planet these morons came from that that would be considered acceptable camouflage.

If I had a 10 year old I think I would be pretty proud if they were able to paint a group of guys as well as the first picture. That being said I am pretty sure I would have their vision tested if they painted the second. I say save at least a few guys from your childhood just the way they are.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I, Chance II, Oath 2 IG Valkyries and 1 Converted Thunderbold (Ork Dakkajet) for June. The models are from Games Workshop

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

JesusIsTehCool posted:

If I had a 10 year old I think I would be pretty proud if they were able to paint a group of guys as well as the first picture. That being said I am pretty sure I would have their vision tested if they painted the second. I say save at least a few guys from your childhood just the way they are.

Yeah, I think some of my orks will stay unstripped.

The second paint scheme I think comes more from limited resources - I only had one yellow paint, and wanted to do a desert scheme. Shame that paint was Bad Moon yellow or something like that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Germ, if you don't post some shots of the rest of that army, I'm going to.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Don't wait for him! We demand more pictures!

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I, Wili oath to paint this seven Ork Nobz, from GW, before the end of June

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Super Cool Gal's Point: Namenlos!

I noticed when you first started oathing that when the theme was NMM, you went big. While I did not find the results to be as impressive as they could have been, you impressed me with the effort involved. In the months following that, you did several other NMM; you stuck with it, and you got better--way better. And now, I see a whole chrome tank, and we come full circle. I can, without hesitation, say I am impressed all around. This is one of the better usages of chrome NMM I have seen by any painter, professional or amateur. My only critique is that the "ground" sections could use a little variety in shades. At present, it looks like the tank is parked atop a field of green felt--having said that, it didn't bother me enough to not laud your efforts. You get this month's Super Cool Person's Point(tm) because you, more than anyone, stick with what you like, and you work hard to make it look good. And that, deserves praise.

Ah you are so right. I considered doing more detail, actually painting clouds and grass and what not, but I was so terrified of ducking it up so close to the end of the month and having to submit it being all rubbish :ohdear:
To be fair, most games will take place on green felt, so at least it will fit in :haw:
Thank you so much for the kind words! Really keeps me going. Having said all that, I had been debating doing a melty chrome thunderwolf like the T1000....

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

counterspin posted:

Don't wait for him! We demand more pictures!

Oh no, it wouldn't be right for me to steal the man's thunder. Ought to be proper about these things. Give him a chance to pooOOHGOD :pcgaming:

Fix fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 6, 2013

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

:siren: I, Companion Cube, having a wife and a roommate who prefer skirmish games, vow a fell oath to paint and base this Kommandant Sorscha, War Dog, Juggernaut and pair of Battle Mechaniks, by Privateer Press. :burger:

They're a Themed Group (a "Khad-Squad," if you like) too.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The amount of regret I feel for making Fix post those awesome pictures cannot possibly be understated.

Furthermore, I hereby oath one Devastator from Privateer Press for the month of June.
Lord I am a terrible photographer.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gak! Thanks, Fix!

Hmm... seeing those pictures again makes me think that I need a bigger lightbox. An army eventually gets to a size that makes it pretty hard to photograph en masse. I do wish I had known how big the new wraiths were going to be - I modeled my wraiths to be a similar size to the older ones.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Fix posted:

Oh no, it wouldn't be right for me to steal the man's thunder. Ought to be proper about these things. Give him a chance to pooOOHGOD :pcgaming:

I am not easily impressed, but that is loving gorgeous.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

Asphyxious posted:

I am not easily impressed, but that is loving gorgeous.

My Necron army looks like garbage compared to this beautiful work of art.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Grey Hunter posted:

I Grey Hunter, Oath 11 Imperial Guardsmen, By games workshop (Circa 1989/1994)

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath that I will paint the original (they've since been resculpted) starter box for Thaniras Elves from Spartan games for the month of June!

Chance II posted:

I, Chance II, Oath 2 IG Valkyries and 1 Converted Thunderbold (Ork Dakkajet) for June. The models are from Games Workshop

Wili posted:

I, Wili oath to paint this seven Ork Nobz, from GW, before the end of June

Accepted.

Companion Cube posted:

vow a fell oath to paint and base this Kommandant Sorscha, War Dog, Juggernaut and pair of Battle Mechaniks, by Privateer Press.

counterspin posted:

Furthermore, I hereby oath one Devastator from Privateer Press for the month of June.

Also these.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

counterspin posted:

The amount of regret I feel for making Fix post those awesome pictures cannot possibly be understated.

Lord I am a terrible photographer.

It is not a big deal, but in the future, try to avoid editing an Oath into an existing post... I had already gone past your post! Fortunately Sole.Sushi approved and that alerted me when I went to give you the 1 point for oathing and found your row was empty.

Like I said though it's not a big deal.

Sole.Sushi:
You missed this Oath from Indolent Bastard: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post416145732. Possibly because he edited it later?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 7, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

I Indolent Bastard, oath 1 Sergeant Duroc from Corvus Beli (Infinity) and 1 piece of terrain from Hasbro

Accepted.

Leperflesh thank you for the head's up.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
:frogsiren: I, Bavius, in questionable sanity do oath 1 Forgeworld Warboss on a Bike, a Gamesworkshop, Warhammer 40,000 28mm model. :frogsiren:

We'll see if I manage any sort of cool bonuses.

E: Progress update! Minitaire's Gun Alloy is fantastic.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Frog of War
May 1, 2008
I Frog of War oath 4 Catachans and 1 'Knife Man' from Games Workshop

I think Knife-Man is from Schaeffer's Last Chancers, a couple of wepaons mods done. These will form part of a penal gang for Necromunda.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I, Lethemonster, do oath one High Elf Pheonix by Games Workshop

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
:confuoot: OneTrueBru, Oath Complete! :krakentoot:

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a borrowed ipad camera again, so these aren't the best photos. I tried using a backdrop but the lack of exposure (or is it aperture?) control meant that everything just got completely washed out, so I just stuck with the low-effort option. I did remember to re-size, at least.

I've missed out on the Jurnal points this time around, as battered wargear would make him look out-of-place next to his squadmates. I briefly considered scuffing up his chainsword, but figured that would be a bit too lazy to count.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

OneTrueBru posted:

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a borrowed ipad camera again, so these aren't the best photos. I tried using a backdrop but the lack of exposure (or is it aperture?) control meant that everything just got completely washed out, so I just stuck with the low-effort option. I did remember to re-size, at least.

I've missed out on the Jurnal points this time around, as battered wargear would make him look out-of-place next to his squadmates. I briefly considered scuffing up his chainsword, but figured that would be a bit too lazy to count.

I know you get told this every single time you post, but that's really fantastic.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It is not a big deal, but in the future, try to avoid editing an Oath into an existing post... I had already gone past your post! Fortunately Sole.Sushi approved and that alerted me when I went to give you the 1 point for oathing and found your row was empty.

Like I said though it's not a big deal.

Apologies. At the time I did it my message was the most recent one, but then I got into a prolonged argument with Imgur. I'll start a fresh post for oathing from here in.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Booley posted:

I know you get told this every single time you post, but that's really fantastic.

Thanks! He could probably use a bit more contrast in general, but I'm fairly happy with how he turned out.

May as well just do this here:

:siren: I, OneTrueBru, wish to declare an alternate universe oath. I promise to complete these 4 dark angels at some vaguely-defined point in the near future! :siren:

Honestly, they should be done fairly soon. I'm just playing it safe as I need to order in some more green paint and miscellaneous supplies.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Well, I was considering for a long while wether I should do an oath this month or not, seeing that I'll be abroad for most of this month. Then I realized that from a pure points perspective, making an oath, even though I'll probably fail it, is worth more points than not making one at all. With that in mind

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath to paint this one veteran guardsman with a plasmagun, made by GW.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I, Buffalo squeeze, oath for june 10 Lost Legionnaires from GW

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I think it would be awesome if there were some way to oath the construction of a light box, just to encourage lazy asses like myself to step up their photography as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OneTrueBru posted:

Your paint jobs are sublime.

There's lots of June left, so if you're pining for those points, you could always try oathing additional models. Another option is to recycle a previous month's Jurnal. It's only worth 1 point instead of 2, but 1 is better than 0!

counterspin posted:

I think it would be awesome if there were some way to oath the construction of a light box, just to encourage lazy asses like myself to step up their photography as well.

You know, I think we actually considered photography-related points/contest/stuff but we ultimately decided it might be unfair to folks who are basically stuck with their phone camera or whatever. But a light box is still a pretty significant advantage in terms of claiming Judge prizes, I feel: it's just really hard to notice a good paintjob in a poor photo.

Even without a light box, though, OneTrueBru's photo here is an excellent example. It's well lit, the model is in sharp focus, and there are no sharp shadows (the light is diffuse). Those are really the three key elements to a quality photo of a miniature, and the results speak for themselves.

Gomo
Mar 26, 2012
:siren: I, Gomo, oath to paint 2 Gamesworkshop Chaos Vindicators for June, 28mm models. :siren:

PS: This isn't Bavius.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees

OneTrueBru posted:

Wow, the detail on this is amazing.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Well, I was considering for a long while wether I should do an oath this month or not, seeing that I'll be abroad for most of this month. Then I realized that from a pure points perspective, making an oath, even though I'll probably fail it, is worth more points than not making one at all. With that in mind

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath to paint this one veteran guardsman with a plasmagun, made by GW.

I went and did a bad thing, I didn't even wait for an approval before announcing that

OATH COMPLETE

I'm also claiming Speed painting, Detektuv's Journal and Double the Fun! Here's a close up of the battle damage. Since he's using a plasmagun prone to overheating, I wanted his arm to look it's been badly burned. I couldn't get the sleeve to look as scorched as I wanted to, but I'm really pleased with the skin. I just basically had no plans and just experimented, and turns out a little red wash gives that nice pinkish scar tissue look.

Germ
May 7, 2013

OneTrueBru posted:

Gorgeous painting aside (and it is gorgeous painting - clean, detailed, well executed, YUM! And the subtle head-stubble? *swoon*), the photo is actually fantastic. The miniature is in focus and well-lit. You have nothing to apologize for, and I'm impressed that you got this out of an iPad!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OneTrueBru posted:

FYI I linked these images to a buddy, and dude at first thought these were illustrations or some kind of cel shaded thing.

So did I to be honest.

tldr I hate you :negative:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
WIP shot!

I'll probably add some battle damage to one or both of these in addition to aawwww its a baby!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bavius posted:

I, Bavius, in questionable sanity do oath 1 Forgeworld Warboss on a Bike, a Gamesworkshop, Warhammer 40,000 28mm model.

Frog of War posted:

I Frog of War oath 4 Catachans and 1 'Knife Man' from Games Workshop

OneTrueBru posted:

alternate universe oath

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I, Buffalo squeeze, oath for june 10 Lost Legionnaires from GW

Gomo posted:

I, Gomo, oath to paint 2 Gamesworkshop Chaos Vindicators for June, 28mm models.

Accepted.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost ride the WIP:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fix posted:

Ghost ride the WIP:

Did your primer skunk? It all looks rough and textured.

• Locked thread