Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

NarkyBark posted:

What are the chances I can get away with supergluing it back together and having it work?
Depending on the break it'll work well enough until you have time / money to get a new nut. Definately get a new one soon though, there is a lot of pressure on the nut and it will break again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Supposedly Jive Sound in Alexandria, VA is a Lakland Dealer, granted that's not exactly IN D.C... But yeah, that's the closest dealer listed on lakland's site. Though it may be out of date. I'd just do a search for shops in and around D.C. and call and ask if they have any Laklands.

And yeah, Bass Central is legit.

If you want a basic rundown of what you can expect from each of the models tone-wise, let me know. But there are plenty of vids and soundclips out there on youtube and Lakland's site to give you a really good idea of the tones of each.
Bass central has a 4-string 44-02 fetless I may buy for $1500. Not too enthused about the sunburst color, but it may be my best bet; the quilt maple might make up or it. Should I buy this, A Zon standard Sonus 4 or a G&L M2000?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 27, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

Bass central has a 4-string 44-02 fetless I may buy for $1500. Not too enthused about the sunburst color, but it may be my best bet; the quilt maple might make up or it.

Yeah, their quilt-tops on the deluxes are nice. My main bass is a 44-02 deluxe, but fretted, maple fingerboard, and the older Bartolini pickup/preamp system. The LH-3 pickups/preamp sounds great imo though.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 26, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I really want to put chrome pickup covers on my 1990 s Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass. However, I have heard that you cannot put these covers on certain basses with cavities under the pickguard. There has to be a way to bolt fasten something like that or else just fill the cavity with a block or would that kill the tone? I just wanna make the j-bass look a little more retro for surf rock since I've grown to use it way more than my beat old precision copy.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Yeah, their quilt-tops on the deluxes are nice. My main bass is a 44-02 deluxe, but fretted, maple fingerboard, and the older Bartolini pickup/preamp system. The LH-3 pickups/preamp sounds great imo though.
I bought the sunburst deluxe.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I really want to put chrome pickup covers on my 1990 s Mexican made Fender Jazz Bass. However, I have heard that you cannot put these covers on certain basses with cavities under the pickguard. There has to be a way to bolt fasten something like that or else just fill the cavity with a block or would that kill the tone? I just wanna make the j-bass look a little more retro for surf rock since I've grown to use it way more than my beat old precision copy.

Just buy longer screws that'll reach the bottom of the cavity.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

I bought the sunburst deluxe.

Nice! Welcome aboard :)

Let us know how you like it!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Any recs for a combo that's light (under 30 lbs) good for upright and has a DI, under $400 hopefully? Does not need to be loud at all - just competing with two acoustic guitars.

I'd love to find a used Workingman 10. The Peavey Max 110 doesn't have a DI, and the 12 is too heavy. The GK MB110 also doesn't have a DI. The Carvin 110 combo does have one, and I could get it custom in tweed, but hasn't gotten good marks from other upright players. Maybe a Line6 Low Down 110?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Any recs for a combo that's light (under 30 lbs) good for upright and has a DI, under $400 hopefully? Does not need to be loud at all - just competing with two acoustic guitars.

I'd love to find a used Workingman 10. The Peavey Max 110 doesn't have a DI, and the 12 is too heavy. The GK MB110 also doesn't have a DI. The Carvin 110 combo does have one, and I could get it custom in tweed, but hasn't gotten good marks from other upright players. Maybe a Line6 Low Down 110?

Not to be a DIY whore, but I use my recently completed Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 10 with my MarkBass head for upright, and it works great. Only used six piezos to keep the highs down, and that also kept the cost down. It weighs about 25-30 pounds, and can be built for under $150 if you have the tools and such already. I built mine for $300 with a premium speaker. Paired with a GK mini head, that would sound great for upright assuming you have a little time and basic chops with a circular saw and jigsaw.

/DIY whoring

I wish I knew what my old bass teacher had - I think its exactly what you are looking for, and is probably around 4 bills on the used market. It tilted back, too. It may have been the GK, with an upright-designed DI that was also used as a preamp. That may push beyond your budget, as those can be $150-200 just for the preamp.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
After a few years of doing without, I once again need a cheapo bass to record with. Locally two have caught my eye, but I could use some advice. First off, space is kind of at a premium at my place at the moment (I already have 4 electric guitars, an acoustic, and a ukulele and I'm running out of places to put all this crap, so I'm sure my GF isn't going to be thrilled with a 6th stringed instrument suddenly materializing).

There's a Cort Steinberger headless bass copy for sale for CHEAP that is appealing since it's really small and moderately cool, plus I could stash it basically anywhere. The other contender besides the sea of P and J basses that are always on CL is an Epiphone Thunderbird. It is the most visually appealing of the bunch, and comes with a case, is roughly the same price (+$40), but takes up way more space. Anyone have experience with either of these basses? The Epi is dirt cheap at retail, does it play like crap? Most of my experience playing is with a Mexi J-bass, and a Mexi P, I liked the feel of the J-bass better if that makes a difference.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
For recording you really can't go wrong with a P or a J. I'd do that before I did anything weird...

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

himajinga posted:

After a few years of doing without, I once again need a cheapo bass to record with. Locally two have caught my eye, but I could use some advice. First off, space is kind of at a premium at my place at the moment (I already have 4 electric guitars, an acoustic, and a ukulele and I'm running out of places to put all this crap, so I'm sure my GF isn't going to be thrilled with a 6th stringed instrument suddenly materializing).

There's a Cort Steinberger headless bass copy for sale for CHEAP that is appealing since it's really small and moderately cool, plus I could stash it basically anywhere. The other contender besides the sea of P and J basses that are always on CL is an Epiphone Thunderbird. It is the most visually appealing of the bunch, and comes with a case, is roughly the same price (+$40), but takes up way more space. Anyone have experience with either of these basses? The Epi is dirt cheap at retail, does it play like crap? Most of my experience playing is with a Mexi J-bass, and a Mexi P, I liked the feel of the J-bass better if that makes a difference.

Always go for what feels best. If you like the sound and it feels good get it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

DrChu posted:

Just buy longer screws that'll reach the bottom of the cavity.

Makes sense to me. The order is placed for the covers, but I haven't purchased any screws yet, and I also need to start planning to drill my pickguard. Then again, I'm seeing those 60's/70's RI pickguards that are "11-hole" with the extra four for the thumbrest and cover, but I don't know if they fit the MiMs and the thumbrest is unnecessary for me. I may or may not just call on a luthier to help me with this, but I'd like to see if I can't manage it myself first. If anyone could point me towards a good DIY guide or at least tell me what size screws I'll need, I'd appreciate it. I

O hey, here's a start.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 1, 2013

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

or would that kill the tone?
It's not an acoustic instrument. Adding wood, removing wood, drilling holes isn't going to make a difference. Cut a block of wood and glue it in. Make sure everything is solid to avoid annoying rattles and strange buzzes.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I also need to start planning to drill my pickguard. Then again, I'm seeing those 60's/70's RI pickguards that are "11-hole" with the extra four for the thumbrest and cover, but I don't know if they fit the MiMs and the thumbrest is unnecessary for me. I may or may not just call on a luthier to help me with this, but I'd like to see if I can't manage it myself first.
The cool thing about pickguards is that they cover all the unused / hosed up screwholes under the pickguard. I have have a couple extra holes on one of my J's where the new 'guard didn't line up; only I know the truth that lies underneath. For a Jazz, all that really matters is whether or not the truss rod access notch is on the 'guard. In some cases, the neck heels are slightly different, but that can be handled with sand paper and patience (I have a P with a neck pocket that I reshaped to fit a jazz neck--put a new pickguard on lastnight, took about an hour to reshape the neck cutout perfectly).

If you're even thinking of getting a luthier to help, you're freaking yourself out unnecessarily. Super easy mods. I'm an idiot and I've done it. You're not an idiot, you can totally do this.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you're competent with a dremel, it's incredibly easy. If not, it's still pretty easy with some sandpaper. Don't over-think it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Any other guitarists around here who snagged a bass rig as a way to open up their gigging options?
I'm considering it but I'm worried there's a hell of a lot more to it than I'm thinking.

Would there be a huge learning curve for jumping into a rock cover/country band or is it easy enough to more or less jump right in?

Am I an rear end in a top hat for even considering this?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

iostream.h posted:

Any other guitarists around here who snagged a bass rig as a way to open up their gigging options?
I'm considering it but I'm worried there's a hell of a lot more to it than I'm thinking.

Would there be a huge learning curve for jumping into a rock cover/country band or is it easy enough to more or less jump right in?

Am I an rear end in a top hat for even considering this?

There isn't a huge learning curve, the strings are the same as the first four strings on the guitar. The biggest thing is that it is a different style of playing, most of the guitarists I've noticed tend to have trouble learning when to back off and give space for the other musicians.
And you're not an rear end in a top hat for wanting to expand your music. Also it's harder to play country on bass than you think it is, country and reggae are in my opinion the two most difficult genres.

Edit: You should consider taking some lessons just so you get your technique right.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 2, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bass rules so play bass

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Most dudes I know who played bass with a guitarist background found it pretty simple to pick up. Just learn how to give space or just stop playing for a time when the music calls for it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

why oh WHY posted:

And you're not an rear end in a top hat for wanting to expand your music. Also it's harder to play country on bass than you think it is, country and reggae are in my opinion the two most difficult genres.

Edit: You should consider taking some lessons just so you get your technique right.
Thanks, I was afraid of coming across in a 'haha bass is easymode gig time' way.
I've piddled around on a couple of friends and bandmates basses in the past so I KNOW I can maneuver around the fretboard at least, it's:

Stravinsky posted:

Most dudes I know who played bass with a guitarist background found it pretty simple to pick up. Just learn how to give space or just stop playing for a time when the music calls for it.
that concerns me a little bit.

Awesome, thanks for the encouragement, time to trawl Craigslist and Guitar Center for a decent rig.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Although technically not a bass question per se...

I am not wise in the way of electricity so I'm just trying to verify this before blowing something up.
I have a bass pod and I believe the power supply to be suspect. So I look for a replacement for my 9v 1200ma power supply, and I find those are no longer made, but all that are available now are 9v 2000ma.
Am I correct in thinking that this is actually ok- that the pod will only draw what it needs? (ie supply must be at least 1200ma but it's ok if over).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

NarkyBark posted:

Although technically not a bass question per se...

I am not wise in the way of electricity so I'm just trying to verify this before blowing something up.
I have a bass pod and I believe the power supply to be suspect. So I look for a replacement for my 9v 1200ma power supply, and I find those are no longer made, but all that are available now are 9v 2000ma.
Am I correct in thinking that this is actually ok- that the pod will only draw what it needs? (ie supply must be at least 1200ma but it's ok if over).
You'll be fine, just make damned sure the polarity is correct.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Let me rephrase what I said. If your not in a band that calls for it, do not pretend your les claypool or something.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

iostream.h posted:

Thanks, I was afraid of coming across in a 'haha bass is easymode gig time' way.
I've piddled around on a couple of friends and bandmates basses in the past so I KNOW I can maneuver around the fretboard at least, it's:

that concerns me a little bit.

It's just a different, more rhythmic mindset. And it'll likely take some time to get into it. Your timing is probably going to suck for a bit when you're starting out, as is your touch and feel, but I wouldn't say the learning curve will be huge. Are you planning on sounding the notes with a pick or with your fingers? Regardless of which, be sure you try and develop some good muting techniques. It's one thing that will really help set you apart from all of the mediocre-guitarist-who-happens-to-own-a-bass guys, and make you seem like a legit bassist. It's hard to explain, but knowing how long to hold a note really makes a world of difference.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Let me rephrase what I said. If your not in a band that calls for it, do not pretend your les claypool or something.
Haha, this is almost verbatim what a drummer buddy of mine said the other day.
No worries there, I'm not a huge fan of that sort of thing. It has it's place, mind you, but I've seen a LOT of bass players in the past few years that seem to have forgotten how to do anything but pretend they're Claypool or Sheehan or something.

Scarf posted:

It's just a different, more rhythmic mindset. And it'll likely take some time to get into it. Your timing is probably going to suck for a bit when you're starting out, as is your touch and feel, but I wouldn't say the learning curve will be huge. Are you planning on sounding the notes with a pick or with your fingers? Regardless of which, be sure you try and develop some good muting techniques. It's one thing that will really help set you apart from all of the mediocre-guitarist-who-happens-to-own-a-bass guys, and make you seem like a legit bassist. It's hard to explain, but knowing how long to hold a note really makes a world of difference.
I'm putzing around with both, actually.
I snagged an Epiphone Firebird to practice with (it's actually pretty decent) and I'm getting used to the difference in scale size mostly.
Planning on demo'ing amps soon, I'm leaning towards Orange (I've always dug their guitar rigs and LOVE my Rockerverb) but I'm open to suggestion. That and, I'm not planning on doing anything WITH anyone else for at least a month or two (depending on whether I can actually PLAY the drat thing or not, of course) so there's no HUGE rush.

I DO know where there's an absolute MINT ADA JMB-1 pre with a matching power amp for a pretty decent steal. Are they as highly regarded for bass as well as guitar? I like the idea of the flexibility of a rack/cab system (part of why I've been considering the Axe-FX for my guitar rig for so long), it doesn't look like bass players are as worried and uptight about all-tube rigs the way guitarists generally are.

Anyway, it's fun so far, I don't have fuckall for finger strength like I THOUGHT I did and the complexity of any given passage seems to be so backwards from what to expect. Strangely enough a lot of my old classical training seems to carry over (left hand positioning, the 'plucking' with the right and the thumb, etc).

Fun stuff!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

iostream.h posted:

I'm putzing around with both, actually.
I snagged an Epiphone Firebird to practice with (it's actually pretty decent) and I'm getting used to the difference in scale size mostly.
Planning on demo'ing amps soon, I'm leaning towards Orange (I've always dug their guitar rigs and LOVE my Rockerverb) but I'm open to suggestion. That and, I'm not planning on doing anything WITH anyone else for at least a month or two (depending on whether I can actually PLAY the drat thing or not, of course) so there's no HUGE rush.

I DO know where there's an absolute MINT ADA JMB-1 pre with a matching power amp for a pretty decent steal. Are they as highly regarded for bass as well as guitar? I like the idea of the flexibility of a rack/cab system (part of why I've been considering the Axe-FX for my guitar rig for so long), it doesn't look like bass players are as worried and uptight about all-tube rigs the way guitarists generally are.

Anyway, it's fun so far, I don't have fuckall for finger strength like I THOUGHT I did and the complexity of any given passage seems to be so backwards from what to expect. Strangely enough a lot of my old classical training seems to carry over (left hand positioning, the 'plucking' with the right and the thumb, etc).

Fun stuff!

If you think it's something you're going to want to stick with, then yeah I'd say start planning out a Head+Cab setup. It's worth it in the long run.

Tube heads are great until you have to transport them to and from shows without a road-crew... Honestly I'm happy enough with the tube emulation from my VT Bass that I really don't have any desire to pay for a tube amp head anymore.

Orange sounds great, but it really only ever sounds like an Orange. Not that it's a bad thing, just not the most versatile amps in the world, imo. No idea about the ADA stuff. I'm partial to Ampeg, and lately Genz-Benz. Their shuttle, shuttlemax, and streamliner series produce a great variety of tones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-27szg61bw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stravinsky posted:

God drat it! Now what am I going to do with this giant penguin suit?!??

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
I need a new practice amp but I'm not really sure what to get in terms of reliability. I need something small enough that I don't break my back carrying it up and down stairs, and I would like something that isn't going to cost me more than like $300. While extra features are nice all I really want is for it to sound nice and to work for a good long while. I am going to look at some local shops to see what they have but like I said I need something reliable and I don't know much about certain company's reputations so any help there will be really appreciated.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

why oh WHY posted:

I need a new practice amp but I'm not really sure what to get in terms of reliability. I need something small enough that I don't break my back carrying it up and down stairs, and I would like something that isn't going to cost me more than like $300. While extra features are nice all I really want is for it to sound nice and to work for a good long while. I am going to look at some local shops to see what they have but like I said I need something reliable and I don't know much about certain company's reputations so any help there will be really appreciated.

Peavey has a line of amps around that range, the MAX series. The 158 is less than 20 pounds.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Peavey has a line of amps around that range, the MAX series. The 158 is less than 20 pounds.

Small practice amps are what Peavey does best. Because that's all I would ever use one for.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

why oh WHY posted:

Edit: thought I was in a different thread. I've heard nice things about the modern Bassmans.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stravinsky posted:

Small practice amps are what Peavey does best. Because that's all I would ever use one for.

Peavey's pro and tour series stuff is actually really solid (just overpriced as poo poo), and always has been. Not to mention their power amps. They're all built like loving tanks.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Declan MacManus posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go see if I can't find one and try it out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Some Lakland quilt-top goodness from an outdoor show this past weekend (hence the pool of sweat visible behind the bass).

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
That's pretty. The neck looks like it has some nice figuring as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

That's pretty. The neck looks like it has some nice figuring as well.

Thanks! Yeah, it's just regular flat-sawn maple too, not quarter-sawn or anything. I think it's just a mixture of good wood and the satin finish they use.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know it's dumb, but it's sad Cliff Burton was buried so deep in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOudz4CZyx4

When you listen to the raw bass track you can hear he does some really nice stuff that is barely audible in released version. Nice tone too. I honestly spent more time listening to the guitars than the bass on those albums (Insert "... and Justice for All" joke here).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

LordPants posted:

I know it's dumb, but it's sad Cliff Burton was buried so deep in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOudz4CZyx4

When you listen to the raw bass track you can hear he does some really nice stuff that is barely audible in released version. Nice tone too. I honestly spent more time listening to the guitars than the bass on those albums (Insert "... and Justice for All" joke here).
Sheet music

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Makes it sound like a Motorhead song.

I think the tone sounds like poo poo though. Sounds like a kid playing in his room over the recording. I blame Lars.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Was that his Rickenbacker that he was using?