Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Strength of Many posted:

Charms basically are feats.

Look at how many Permanent ones they started producing near the later end of 2e's cycle that existed only to add some kind of fiddly bonus or what not.

Looking at it in that way, Ox Body is basically Toughness, and fills the same mechanical role (i.e. "newbie trap").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Strength of Many posted:

Charms basically are feats.

They're what? Now, I don't remember Ex2 by heart, but I'm pretty sure a power that says "Hit a dude so hard everyone else around him forgets who you are" is quite significantly different from "+1 to attack rolls."

[edit] Re: Ox-body - granted.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Still a bit disappointing Excellencies haven't just been removed. They're boring, they compete with other far more interesting charms for your motes and using them is generally an exercise in figuring out how much essence you need to dump into them to hit your expected target. My group ran a campaign where we dumped them and just let you reroll a failed check once per session per point of permanent essence, that seemed to work for helping you pass checks you absolutely needed to pass.

You'd get tighter math too of Attack vs DV values if you scrubbed Excellencies and aimed for a sweet 50/50-ish ratio at all tiers of play.

And even if you did keep die/success-adders like Excellencies in, you could easily make them a default, baked-in part of the system that any Essence user has rather than a million and one things you have to book-keep.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 6, 2013

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Fightest posted:

They're what? Now, I don't remember Ex2 by heart, but I'm pretty sure a power that says "Hit a dude so hard everyone else around him forgets who you are" is quite significantly different from "+1 to attack rolls."

[edit] Re: Ox-body - granted.

You clearly haven't played enough Third and Fourth Edition D&D if you're dismissing feats and feat chains down to '+1 to attack rolls'. Especially the patently retarded ones in 3e.

But to elaborate; the huge swath of permanents aside, charm trees still had a lot of useless or minor prereqs even into later 2e design. There's very bad equivalence and scaling across the board which is how we go from something like One Weapon, Two Blows to Iron Whirlwind Technique.

e: gently caress me, I didn't mean to start a new post

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Saying Charms are the exact same thing as Feats in 4e D&D is not correct; Charms provide your combat powers and your utility powers, which are primarily separate character-building choices from purchasing feats. Feats, primarily, upgrade your ability to use them, which is done by Abilities, Attributes, and Merits. That said, what game element in Y system is like a different game element in Z system is a pretty silly distinction when, firstly, we don't have the core mechanics of one of the systems, and secondly, we know that one system operates off of a system of resource tracks when the other has powers that refresh individually, one system uses abstracted combat ranges while another uses discrete squares, one system is class-based while another is not, et cetera, et cetera. Seeing people try and analyze the core mechanics, which we don't have, through a 4e lens, makes me confused and annoyed, and arguing about whether the core mechanics will be good or bad belies the greater issue here.

Paraphrasing Mikan posted:

We don't have the core mechanics!

The Emperor's not wearing any clothes!

I get buying in without core mechanics, and I did too, because I really appreciate all the work that was put into making 2e an actual playable game, which was what led me to back in the first place, but I think it's a really weird call to not release any quickstart material in the Year of Internet Word of Mouth 2013. I have seen Holden state "We are not giving away our core system for free," but I must confess, I see no reason why they wouldn't let it out to get people excited, as the people who played it with no prep on their end or required knowledge of background material at Aggiecon seemed to find it loving awesome. The only thing I can discern is that they are concerned that, with the core system mechanics radiating throughout the interweb, memetic harmful descriptions of them might start propagating, but I would be really surprised if that weren't outmatched by people saying "Look at how Ex3 handles this, and this, and this, and how cool it is, et cetera, et cetera." There are always nerdsayers, but if a quickstart had dropped on Day 1 some Youtube videos of baller Skype games of all kinds and flavors would have thousands of views and poo poo by now.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

People have faith in them because they have a track record for producing good books. This thread has turned really uncharitable in the past few days.

I want them to do a preview too, if only because feedback is imo always beneficial to development, but it's not like we're entitled to it. I bought D&D 4E purely on "faith" too, and that one turned out pretty well.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Nightskye posted:

People have faith in them because they have a track record for producing good books. This thread has turned really uncharitable in the past few days.

I want them to do a preview too, if only because feedback is imo always beneficial to development, but it's not like we're entitled to it. I bought D&D 4E purely on "faith" too, and that one turned out pretty well.

I didn't say anyone was entitled to anything, and I do think they have an overall track record for producing good books in addition to doing a good job at fixing busted-rear end mechanics and making things work right, as I especially love Shards and Alchemicals as two of the best books to come out this edition. That is why I backed the thing within 24 hours of it opening. I'm just saying I think it's a strange decision on their part to not release anything like that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nightskye posted:

This thread has turned really uncharitable in the past few days.

The whole "sex/rape ghost charm tree" thing burned a lot of goodwill I think. People who might have otherwise been prepared to support the system on spec are now cautious and want details. :shrug:

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

The whole "sex/rape ghost charm tree" thing burned a lot of goodwill I think. People who might have otherwise been prepared to support the system on spec are now cautious and want details. :shrug:

Burned goodwill for me too, but the whole host of unrelated "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE, INCLUDING 2.5" is just sort of bizarre and gets into revisionist territory.

Think there are a lot of legitimate issues-- I'm pretty wary of what Craft is going to look like, if only because it's so bad in 2E, but taking the worst possible read on everything going forward is probably not germane to an actual discussion.

Reminded, something Hatewheel put out in the kickstarter comments last night re: the whole rape ghost thing.

John Mørke posted:

Graham: It's not really an issue of gender, I think, or gender endorsement. Some wouldn't see it that way, anyway. The preview legitimately upset some people, and I will take steps to comfort and apologize them, but not so long as this Kickstarter is going. I'll not have my sincerity backlit by an effort to earn money. I want people to know that I care about them. If that loses me some pledges, so be it.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 6, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Nightskye posted:

Burned goodwill for me too, but the whole host of unrelated "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE, INCLUDING 2.5" is just sort of bizarre and gets into revisionist territory.

Think there are a lot of legitimate issues-- I'm pretty wary of what Craft is going to look like, if only because it's so bad in 2E, but taking the worst possible read on everything going forward is probably not germane to an actual discussion.

Reminded, something Hatewheel put out in the kickstarter comments last night re: the whole rape ghost thing.

Yeah, the those Charms tempered my excitement a bit, but I'm still looking forward to 3e: DBs seem promising. Am I reading Hatewheels quote in that he's saying he doesn't want to apologise right now because it'll look like he's doing it just to get mroe backers? It still seems kind of odd though.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah, the those Charms tempered my excitement a bit, but I'm still looking forward to 3e: DBs seem promising. Am I reading Hatewheels quote in that he's saying he doesn't want to apologise right now because it'll look like he's doing it just to get mroe backers? It still seems kind of odd though.

That's essentially what I get out of his statement, at least; that he seems to think that losing backers now and waiting to give his statements is preferable to stepping up while the Kickstarter still runs and possibly looking like he's just trying to make things look good to make more pledges come in before the KS ends.

I'm fairly certain this will bite him in the arse, but I think I can understand the thought process behind it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm going to say a thing that is generally considered uncool to do, but oh my loving god it has been two+ years of this poo poo I can't help myself.

Neph was actually pretty bad at mechanics.

Now, of course he could make the mechanics sit up and beg and do lots of interesting tricks. He was really good at doing that! He was also pretty good at spinning out Charms that weren't ridiculously, hilariously broken at first glance. He was very good at constructing these huge frameworks out of thousands of tiny little things, all the more impressive since all but the last two books he worked on were produced under the traditional "churn out your supplement in two months with whatever writers are available" model.

But deep-down, core play balance stuff? He was honestly bad at that.

He wrote the core engine everybody hates. The combat. The social combat. The ticks. The Mutually Assured Boredom of paranoia combat and the keyword structure, though Jenna did have some significant hand in that since it was her chapter. I suppose most people who really care already knew all that. What doesn't come up very often is that he "wrote" the weapons, too. You may notice that, apart from Speed, they are almost entirely a copy-paste of their 1E entries with Power Combat stats swapped in.

He wrote those ridiculous vehicle rules and vehicles in Wonders. He wrote 2E Resonance. He gave us Spectral. He made Abyssals in general staggeringly one-note. Thanks to his work on 1E Autochthonians, he's where Solabyssal Deathlords with hyperinflated spirit mote pools come from. He tried to put a "pay a ridiculously paltry amount, auto-surprise attack Charm" in Adorjan's tree. He was talked down to making it only usable once per flurry. He gave the Solars Invincible Ego Shield when he was rewriting the Dragon-Blooded Charms. He put the Material Synthesis Wave Emitter in Alchemicals, where you just stack and stack the magical material bonuses on a single weapon. He pushed to make the Ebon Dragon the Boss of All Bad Things in the Setting. He gave Yozis the kilomote, and he also gave them a base DV lower than their dice pools would have indicated. As fun and loose as the Creation-Ruling Mandate system was, it's honestly a lot more fiddly and complicated than it needs to be. That was Neph, too.

Now a story!

Way before I was a freelancer or even pseudo-professional layout artist for the errata PDF, I had a conversation with Neph.

"Neph," I said. "What the gently caress with Ordained Talon of Draconic Fury?"

"What about it?"

"+Essence to all your weapon traits? It feeds the ridiculous dice inflation that's choking the game."

"What, you're still using the system at Essence 6," he responded.

I love Neph, because he's a pretty cool dude and because he helped save the game I love. Without him, Exalted wouldn't be here today, and however much that may depress some people I can get over the bad parts because I love the good parts so much. I'm incredibly grateful to him, for squeezing my toe in the door to becoming a freelancer, for just being fun to talk to, and for being a pretty good writer. But Neph wasn't a superhero. For all that he didn't usually gently caress up in immediately obvious ways, he made a lot of mistakes. Even then his most obvious fuckups were glossed over because there were a lot worse things going on in the game, and because there was a not insubstantial bit of hero worship about him.

Neph probably saved this game, but a lot of what it needed saving from was stuff he wrote.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Nightskye posted:

I'm still a backer, so clearly nothing they've shown or done so far was bad enough to nullify my good will entirely, but there are some worrying signs:

- Free Excellencies: this is a lot like a patch I added to my house rules. It feels like a rules patch, rather than an elegant rule. Removing the need for Excellencies would have been better.

- Solar XP: the name is dumb, but that's not my issue. My issue is that it also feels like a patch. New WoD uses a similar patch (e.g. Arcane XP), but since nWoD uses the same XP system across many different lines, this kind of patch is tolerable there. For a new system, I'd prefer to not need such things.

- The few mechanical examples presented have had issues.

- Some of the flavor text seems poorly thought out.

- DB preview had no mechanics at all, even though they're supposed to be the next book.

(Regarding 2.5e, IMHO it was a huge improvement over 2e, and still quite bad.)

Nightskye posted:

What he's doing makes very little sense IMHO.

Their previews were put out strictly to drum up interest -- to advertise in the hopes they'll entice people to give them money. Why take a hard-line on apologizing for a fuckup in their advertisement?

Edit:

Plague of Hats posted:

Neph probably saved this game, but a lot of what it needed saving from was stuff he wrote.
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know most of that.

Dodge Charms fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2013

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Plague of Hats posted:

Also responsible for "It's not meant to be fun" regarding playing ghosts. Sure, being a ghost isn't like going to Disneyland but then what was the point on writing up them up to be playable if you can't enjoy it?

Spectral was also one of the dumbest things ever in Abyssals, Resonance was also terrible.

Wasn't the ROTSE campaign book basically his own pet campaign that he'd been running or something? Either way, making the Ebon Dragon responsible for all bad things in Creation was also something the setting could've done without since it trivializes all the other Yozi. "Who cares what they're doing, this is all about the Ebon Dragon getting out and making things bad!" I think it also made the Imperial Mountain into that Spiral thingy in oWoD that the Black Spiral Dancers were nuts about?

Where I'm at with a bunch of other Exalted fans there was no hero worship of Neph, that's for certain.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Dodge Charms posted:

- Solar XP: the name is dumb, but that's not my issue. My issue is that it also feels like a patch. New WoD uses a similar patch (e.g. Arcane XP), but since nWoD uses the same XP system across many different lines, this kind of patch is tolerable there. For a new system, I'd prefer to not need such things.

I agree with a lot of what you said, here, but this one doesn't make sense to me-- Arcane XP's not a patch, it was there in Mage in the first core book, it's a methodical part of the game.

And a part I like, honestly-- Arcane XP gets awarded for different reasons than session XP, it has its own flow to it and it gives a different sense of progression. You get it for interacting with, well, all things mystical, and it can be spent on, well, mystical attribute progression. I think it will work well here, though that theming is obviously not so strong for Solars.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Nightskye posted:

I agree with a lot of what you said, here, but this one doesn't make sense to me-- Arcane XP's not a patch, it was there in Mage in the first core book, it's a methodical part of the game.
It seemed to me that Arcane XP is a patch over the baseline human nWoD XP system, to compensate for some Mage-specific expenses (and to silo some XP to induce saving up for expensive stuff like Gnosis). In a game like nMage, where cross-splat games are explicitly supported and you might be playing next to baseline human Hunters or freaky Vampires or whatever, having this kind of patch is a fine decision.

In general, there's nothing wrong with building a silo-based XP system, but in this case -- from what little we've seen so far -- it looks to me like a patch to compensate for something, and that's a bit worrying, since I'd hoped Ex3 had the freedom to be clean from the start.

Hope that's clearer!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dodge Charms posted:

It seemed to me that Arcane XP is a patch over the baseline human nWoD XP system, to compensate for some Mage-specific expenses (and to silo some XP to induce saving up for expensive stuff like Gnosis). In a game like nMage, where cross-splat games are explicitly supported and you might be playing next to baseline human Hunters or freaky Vampires or whatever, having this kind of patch is a fine decision.

In general, there's nothing wrong with building a silo-based XP system, but in this case -- from what little we've seen so far -- it looks to me like a patch to compensate for something, and that's a bit worrying, since I'd hoped Ex3 had the freedom to be clean from the start.

Hope that's clearer!

I think the goal is to silo off some XP for all the new toys that they're writing, like revamped Sorcery and Martial Arts and the new Evocation system, so people are encouraged to buy that stuff up. The thing I don't get is why they're adding in Attributes and Abilities to that mix. That's the thing that makes it come off less as Exalted Arcane XP and more as "Look, please, don't just buy nothing but regular charms. please. please I'm begging y-" XP.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
XP silos themselves feel like a patch for realizing that some advancement option has been made so overpriced that no one goes anywhere near the giant point-sink.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Dodge Charms posted:

Hope that's clearer!

I don't think there's anything more inherently patchy or artificial about XP siloing than there is about, say, Physical/Social/Mental chargen build point siloing. Siloing is great.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

XP silos themselves feel like a patch for realizing that some advancement option has been made so overpriced that no one goes anywhere near the giant point-sink.

I don't think it's a patch so much as an executive decision about what the game wants characters to look like in play. It's the same reason Storytellering chargen doesn't just give you a pile of stem cell dots and let you buy whatever.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Plague of Hats posted:

I believe you. You really do need him though: on top of being a really nice dude, he was also by far the best communicator that Exalted has had. Holden recently got banned for tone, and John is worse. Nephilpal instilled a lot of excitement over metaphysical fiddly bits without antagonizing anyone, just imagine if he had a whole new edition to talk about.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 6, 2013

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lymond posted:

I believe you. You really do need him though: on top of being a really nice dude, he was also by far the best communicator that Exalted has had. Holden recently got banned for tone, and John is worse. Nephilpal instilled a lot of excitement over metaphysical fiddly bits without antagonizing anyone, just imagine if he had a whole new edition to talk about.

This edition's focus is less on metaphysical fiddly bits and more on e.g. what House Mnemon is up to in the Amirate of Jiara, why the League of Rivers' internal tensions make uniting against external threats difficult, and how the West is in the unfortunate position of being an ideal fallback position for Houses who want to gather their strength for a renewed push on the Blessed Isle. Neph is good at metaphysics, but too much focus on metaphysics tends to result in mortal and DB-level politics being presented as basically irrelevant in the face of the might of the returning Solars.

It's difficult as hell to make people excited about that sort of thing in previews, though.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think it's a patch so much as an executive decision about what the game wants characters to look like in play. It's the same reason Storytellering chargen doesn't just give you a pile of stem cell dots and let you buy whatever.

I just feel such things can be framed a bit more elegantly than the exp silo, like in games where aspects of your character progress cue off of how much stuff you've already spent. Seeing excellencies bundled into the normal advancement of skills and charms shows signs they may be leaning that way.

That, or work to keep the opportunity cost between your advancement options from getting wildly out of whack.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

That's also true. nMage Gnosis was a major point-sink, and Arcana were expensive (albeit less so than Spheres were in oMage).

Stephenls posted:

I don't think there's anything more inherently patchy or artificial about XP siloing than there is about, say, Physical/Social/Mental chargen build point siloing. Siloing is great.
When your two silos are:
- Everything
- Everything except Charms

... my feeling is that the design looks kinda clunky.

Again, I have no problem with silos in general. Silos can be great.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
To me, Neph's failures are a reason for skepticism more than anything else - from an outside view, I can't think of any two people more qualified to have set the system on solid foundation than he and Jenna, but they hosed it up pretty badly (albeit not in a way that was at all obvious.) The current team is by all accounts competent too; why should I expect them to do better? (Not that I'm unwilling to take a look; far from it!)

Also yes on Neph being a better frontman than John or Holden.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Because they've done good work on Exalted, is the core difference, here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nightskye posted:

Given the amount Holden was trying to run around talking to people and trying to convince them it wasn't that bad and so on, this rings especially false to me. Especially given Onyx Path has said that Holden was meant to be the voice of the kickstarter in general. Basically: Yeah, I think Morke is lying out his rear end and doesn't even understand why he should be apologizing. If you want to apologize sincerely, you don't say 'go away, I don't want your money and will only apologize once I know you can't get any of the Kickstarter rewards.'

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Mors Rattus posted:

Given the amount Holden was trying to run around talking to people and trying to convince them it wasn't that bad and so on, this rings especially false to me. Especially given Onyx Path has said that Holden was meant to be the voice of the kickstarter in general. Basically: Yeah, I think Morke is lying out his rear end and doesn't even understand why he should be apologizing. If you want to apologize sincerely, you don't say 'go away, I don't want your money and will only apologize once I know you can't get any of the Kickstarter rewards.'

Time will tell, I guess. At this point I don't think there's very much they can do to regain the goodwill lost through rapegate.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mors Rattus posted:

It's also a bizarre logical contortion since Exalted is still going to be a commercial product after the kickstarter. "I'll take care of this when there's no money on the line" is an absolutely nonsensical way to look at it, even if the book's release is months away.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, John's explanation doesn't actually make any sense and sounds like a cover for him either being unsure of how to handle things or stubbornly dug in.

Siloing is a great idea, but it's really Charms themselves that need siloing if you want to keep up inter-character parity if the system is anything like 1e and 2e were. If we both know forty charms, and thirty five of my charms are for combat, and five of your charms are for combat...

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, John's explanation doesn't actually make any sense and sounds like a cover for him either being unsure of how to handle things or stubbornly dug in.

I disagree. I understand the desire to give a genuine apology and he's just saying that anything he says right now will be perceived as disingenuous.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Siloing is a great idea, but it's really Charms themselves that need siloing if you want to keep up inter-character parity if the system is anything like 1e and 2e were. If we both know forty charms, and thirty five of my charms are for combat, and five of your charms are for combat...
This is what Style XP is, no?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

QuintessenceX posted:

I disagree. I understand the desire to give a genuine apology and he's just saying that anything he says right now will be perceived as disingenuous.

As stupid as it is, he's not wrong about this. I'm not going to defend the guy pre-emptively (especially after the last... "explanation") but I can understand the reasoning for waiting at this point.

Ferrinus posted:

If we both know forty charms, and thirty five of my charms are for combat, and five of your charms are for combat...

That's not really a big deal as long as you can't use like, 5 more charms than I can on a turn, even if I have less combat charms overall it just means I have less options when it comes to combat, not that I'm totally ineffective. Same as for non-combat things, where I'll have more options than you. If the root-charms are solid, and can cover a wide enough range of fight-mans situations, it's all good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

QuintessenceX posted:

Uh, why. Why would it be. It'll be a bid for money either way, since his answer will determine the future popularity and status of Exalted among people who object to rape ghosts.

Oligopsony posted:

This is what Style XP is, no?

As currently described, Solar XP is there to give you an extra pool of points to buy anything but Solar Charms(and Essence, I guess?). Your Solar Charms themselves aren't siloed, and because Charm trees are going to be bigger than ever, it seems like there'll be even more ability for one character to buy completely into an area of specialty that another character hasn't even begun to touch.

It's one of the problems with GMC combat as it stands - it's not that any particular option is overpowered, it's that the more total XP you make possible to pour into a given area of expertise, the more strongly you segregate characters who specialize in that field from characters who dabble in that field.

mistaya posted:

That's not really a big deal as long as you can't use like, 5 more charms than I can on a turn, even if I have less combat charms overall it just means I have less options when it comes to combat, not that I'm totally ineffective. Same as for non-combat things, where I'll have more options than you. If the root-charms are solid, and can cover a wide enough range of fight-mans situations, it's all good.

Yeah, it depends on how many charms are straight upgrades rather than side-grades, so to speak. If it took like five charms to max out your ability to make attacks, and then five other charms to max out your ability to make a different and totally exclusive kind of attack, etc, it could work out.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

As currently described, Solar XP is there to give you an extra pool of points to buy anything but Solar Charms(and Essence, I guess?). Your Solar Charms themselves aren't siloed, and because Charm trees are going to be bigger than ever, it seems like there'll be even more ability for one character to buy completely into an area of specialty that another character hasn't even begun to touch.

It's one of the problems with GMC combat as it stands - it's not that any particular option is overpowered, it's that the more total XP you make possible to pour into a given area of expertise, the more strongly you segregate characters who specialize in that field from characters who dabble in that field.
Right - I had thought there was a third silo called "Style XP" that was only for MA.

(If you want rules-as-physics justification, you could totally mandate that Essence development requires a certain amount of learning in Martial Arts styles. Actually, gently caress it, this is really easily implementable as a house rule.)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Uh, why. Why would it be. It'll be a bid for money either way, since his answer will determine the future popularity and status of Exalted among people who object to rape ghosts.

Yeah, it depends on how many charms are straight upgrades rather than side-grades, so to speak. If it took like five charms to max out your ability to make attacks, and then five other charms to max out your ability to make a different and totally exclusive kind of attack, etc, it could work out.

This is particularly dangerous when it comes to combat. In GMC at least, you're in a horror model. One character standing around or hiding during the action is acceptable because combat is just a vehicle to punctuate danger over there. And it's short.

In Exalted, combat is more of a pillar; it's exciting, it's in-genre, and it's a big part of what draws people to the game. It also has, historically, taken a very long time to resolve and even if it were reduced by 50%, it would still be a long time. This is why all characters have some combat competence in D&D; combat is a big part of the game, and the last thing you want is one character being unable to participate during one of the game's primary scenes.

Increased specialty in one area creates higher probability that non-combat character should stay the gently caress out of combat. With minimum buy-in, the difference between a combat and non-combat character is less pronounced. With maximal buy-in, the difference between the threats the combat-character can credibly overcome/survive is in a different galaxy than the threats a non-combat character can credibly survive/overcome. There are ways to avoid this trap but Exalted hasn't really gone down that road before.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

mistaya posted:

This would be nice, but it's not how Exalted has ever worked. Charms which have more requisites are as a rule much stronger. By definition, the guy who's invested in a lot of deep combat trees is not just going to have more options than you, he's going to have much better options than you do. Exalted is very heavily biased towards specialization, and I don't get the sense that this is going to change from the little that we've been told about XP costs / chargen / Charms.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, my feeling is that my group might end up implementing some kind of gentleman's agreement about total investment into particular charm trees or kinds of charm trees if the system is really 2E-ish. Like I've said before, though, my absolute biggest concern is that combat is fast to run - the big draw of 3E for me is that it'll finally allow me to play Exalted without having to deal with a load of slow, tedious bullshit in the process. The rest is kinda gravy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrinus posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. Now, whatever apology he makes probably will feel disingenuous to me, I admit. Largely because I don't trust him and don't like him. I've talked to too many people who've met the guy at cons or dealt with him in discussions to believe that he is legitimately going to understand or apologize for any of this.

(I'm actually way more okay with Holden, on the whole.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. Now, whatever apology he makes probably will feel disingenuous to me, I admit. Largely because I don't trust him and don't like him. I've talked to too many people who've met the guy at cons or dealt with him in discussions to believe that he is legitimately going to understand or apologize for any of this.

(I'm actually way more okay with Holden, on the whole.)

Well I mean, if that's your feeling going into it, doesn't seem like there was any apology he could have made at any point that you'd accept.

Which is fine, you know, that's just how it goes sometimes. Just too bad, because I don't really think anybody here was acting in bad faith.

quote:

In Exalted, combat is more of a pillar; it's exciting, it's in-genre, and it's a big part of what draws people to the game. It also has, historically, taken a very long time to resolve and even if it were reduced by 50%, it would still be a long time. This is why all characters have some combat competence in D&D; combat is a big part of the game, and the last thing you want is one character being unable to participate during one of the game's primary scenes.

Personally, I'm hoping for - not that I have any basis for this - more martial arts-as-philosophy style stuff, so that you're picking up cool combat charms alongside the social/non-combat stuff in the same trees.

• Locked thread