Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

You can actually keep the Kingdom titles for yourself along with the Empire, and still limit your vassals to duchies. The only opinion penalty they get is "desires the Kingdom of X"; there's no limit on Kingdom titles like there is for duchies.

As an emperor, is there any reason to create kingdom titles and keep them for yourself besides the prestige boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you sure it doesn't limit it to 2 or 3 kingdoms? And that opinion penalty is actually one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

It's totally fine. I only worry about having multiple kingdoms if I'm running Gavelkind (which I shouldn't be), and Feudal Elective (which is a non-issue since we're talking Merchant Republics here). It's up to you if you really want to keep the opinion penalties down, but you'll still be taking a hit from your Finnish vassals if you keep the Kingdom of Finland. Personally, I think the prestige bonus you get from all the Kingdom titles makes up for the desires Kingdom penalty; and besides, de jure vassals of the Kingdom title you destroy will also get pissed when you do the deed.

Chalks posted:

As an emperor, is there any reason to create kingdom titles and keep them for yourself besides the prestige boost?

I don't think so; it's all about the prestige and pretty borders for me. :)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well they are usefull for one thing: Gathering all your various dukes vassals into one big army when you raise the levies of that kingdom.

Downside is that they'll appear wherever the capitol of that kingdom happen to be, which may or may not be optimal but most of the time it will save you some hassle.

Of course, all it takes is for one ambitious king to land the throne and you may have a bit of a problem.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pimpmust posted:

Well they are usefull for one thing: Gathering all your various dukes vassals into one big army when you raise the levies of that kingdom.

Downside is that they'll appear wherever the capitol of that kingdom happen to be, which may or may not be optimal but most of the time it will save you some hassle.

Of course, all it takes is for one ambitious king to land the throne and you may have a bit of a problem.

You could just pull them up in any province controlled by one of his vassals. A gamey thing to do if you can stand the borders is to give one county on your border to your largest vassals then you can pull loads of troops up were they are needed.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

By the way, anyone know what unit_home_modifier = { } does?

The non-viking pagans got that modifier for all its units and morale, garrison size etc.

So when it says

unit_home_modifier = {
land_morale = 0.8
light_infantry_defensive = 0.8
heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.8
pikemen_defensive = 0.8
light_cavalry_defensive = 0.8
knights_defensive = 0.8
archers_defensive = 0.8
horse_archers_defensive = 0.8

garrison_size = 0.4
}

Does it mean that all units and morale of the province owner (the pagan) gets -20% modifier when fighting in said province?
Or is it the attacker that is reduced?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Is there some way to set a default general of my army? If I raise an army my king leads it by default and he's a pretty bad general. Also I managed to get him captured because I forgot he was the general. Is there a way to do a prisoner swap? I have two close family members of some guy and he has my king, surely we could work something out that didn't involve me paying him 150 gold. It's letting me siege his cities even though we aren't at war (I guess he's the ally of my enemies), if I siege them all will I be released or what?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
One of the advantages I've found to there being cultural constraints on forming empires, is that it makes it harder for your vassals to set up competing empires and break away, so long as they're of your culture rather than the native culture.

I've managed to blob my way over most of Europe, as part of the Norse faith's desire to wipe the scum of Christianity from the world. There was a pretty scary time when the Carolingians had managed to unify the Francian Empire, and then unified somehow with the Byzantines. But the Byzantine Dukes have broken off from the Francian blob, Germany got chewed up heavily, and after breaking through Moravian, I found a great number of small duchies that were prime for holy wars.

It's actually pretty cool how setting up loyal kings with all of the proper de jure duchies beneath them and all of the proper de jure counties under that really keeps the populace happy. Couple that with elective succession and medium crown authority, and I have my loyal Finish King expanding West, other loyalists picking up duchies from those that are rebelling from Francia, and a general blobbing, while everyone remains happy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Welp, I just loaded my save up and can't declare any wars because it thinks I have levies raised. Tried dismissing fleets too, as well as mercs and retinues, tried loading an earlier autosave and doing the same and nothing works. That was thirty hours well spent on a now broken game, guess I'm waiting till ck2+ or GoT updates.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Welp, I just loaded my save up and can't declare any wars because it thinks I have levies raised. Tried dismissing fleets too, as well as mercs and retinues, tried loading an earlier autosave and doing the same and nothing works. That was thirty hours well spent on a now broken game, guess I'm waiting till ck2+ or GoT updates.

What is the connection between your problems and CK2+ or GoT? Seems such a bug would make your CK2+ or GoT games unplayable too.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Torrannor posted:

What is the connection between your problems and CK2+ or GoT? Seems such a bug would make your CK2+ or GoT games unplayable too.

Just the fact that this save seems hosed and I can't be bothered starting another vanilla game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Meinberg posted:

One of the advantages I've found to there being cultural constraints on forming empires, is that it makes it harder for your vassals to set up competing empires and break away, so long as they're of your culture rather than the native culture.
Vassals can't create titles that are as high as the one their direct liege has anyway, so there could be hundreds of De Jure empires that anyone could create and it wouldn't change anything in that regard.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

By the way, anyone know what unit_home_modifier = { } does?

The non-viking pagans got that modifier for all its units and morale, garrison size etc.

So when it says

unit_home_modifier = {
land_morale = 0.8
light_infantry_defensive = 0.8
heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.8
pikemen_defensive = 0.8
light_cavalry_defensive = 0.8
knights_defensive = 0.8
archers_defensive = 0.8
horse_archers_defensive = 0.8

garrison_size = 0.4
}

Does it mean that all units and morale of the province owner (the pagan) gets -20% modifier when fighting in said province?
Or is it the attacker that is reduced?

No, its added to their stats, not multiplied by. So basically pagans get +80% defense/morale when fighting at home. For it to be a penalty it has to be a negative number.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Had a quiet decade, and married a dozen kids to different duchies throughout Brittania and Scandanavia, and all of these dynasties are ending in my favor. The civil war just started, and is going fantastic. It started with a Scot/England war, the rebels saw their chance, and so did I. I grabbed the Isle of Man while the Scots were busy killing each other.

Now, I found an option of "help the Scots." Can I use that to gain provinces? I dont think I can join the rebels since I just made a treaty with the King, but can I make a alliance to steal a county or two?

edit: Also, is there a way to see how many troops a monarch can raise? Right now Im guessing.

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 6, 2013

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Is there any bonus to having more than the 3 pagan holy sites to reform things?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

crm posted:

Every Holy Site held by a member of your religion adds 10% to Moral Authority. So it increases the baseline.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Every Holy Site held by a member of your religion adds 10% to Moral Authority. So it increases the baseline.
What's moral authority for, anyway?

Dirty_Moses posted:

What made Paradox think mass peasant rebellions was a good idea again? If I wanted to play whack-a-mole, I'd play every other GSG they've churned out.
Offer peasant rebels a white peace ASAP -- you still get them imprisoned and the only downside is you gain a little less prestige. One or two battles is enough to make them accept white peace, and then you can chop their traitor heads off.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Low moral authority makes heresies more likely to arise, and I think high moral authority gives a bonus to conversion.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
You also need 50% Moral Authority to reform a pagan faith. Unless all your_pagan_religion characters are absolutely kickass in war at all times, you're going to need more than just 3 Holy Sites to be held by members of the faith to reform.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Also, if you have all five holy sites, then it doesn't matter what your moral authority is, you can go ahead and reform the religion.

I ended up in a situation where the other Norse were losing too many wars against the Christians, so I had to make a bee-line for the fifth one in the middle of Germany.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

crm posted:

Getting all 5 holy sites allows you to reform the faith even if you don't have the piety and the moral authority is less than 50 % (due to your fellow believers being idiots) as well.

e; welp

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So while raiding, can I capture Female Rulers? Wondering whether I can attempt to raid Paris and take the current ruling Queen of France, after reading in this thread someone who took a princess, made her a concubine and then his heir had a claim to the thorne.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Is there any reason I couldn't have a CB? I have a claimant to wales married into my family (weak claim, only by war), but it says I dont have a CB.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

LowellDND posted:

Is there any reason I couldn't have a CB? I have a claimant to wales married into my family (weak claim, only by war), but it says I dont have a CB.

Are they part of your court?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wezlar posted:

Are they part of your court?

-checks- Yes.

Edit: I have a claim for Lancaster, York, or all of England, but Im unsure if Im ready. Is there a way to get a count of their levees?

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 6, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Shogunate posted:

So while raiding, can I capture Female Rulers? Wondering whether I can attempt to raid Paris and take the current ruling Queen of France, after reading in this thread someone who took a princess, made her a concubine and then his heir had a claim to the thorne.

Best one I've had yet is fighting against a rebellious vassal, invading his home, capturing his wife and making her my rulers concubine.

Did I mention that the rebellious vassal was my brother, and his wife a niece to us both? (Big family)

And I believe that you can capture female rulers, but last time I did was before the patch so I don't know about now. All her titles will fall to the closest in line for the throne though, so it's not like you can do much with it.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Is there a way to change the invasion dates of the Aztec invasions? I rarely stick with a game through to the late game, especially with the new earlier start dates.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Shogunate posted:

You cannot capture independent female rulers, no.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 6, 2013

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

LowellDND posted:

Weak claims can only be pressed under certain conditions. The title must either be held by a female, in regency, or being disputed in a civil war.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Strudel Man posted:

You cannot capture female rulers, no.

Can you capture their daughter, make her a concubine, then have a valid claim on their lands once you pop out a son?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Offer peasant rebels a white peace ASAP -- you still get them imprisoned and the only downside is you gain a little less prestige. One or two battles is enough to make them accept white peace, and then you can chop their traitor heads off.

Only problem with that is I can usually crush them in one battle. But I'm playing a "Golden Horde vs. Aztec extravaganza" right now and hiking across half of the Ukraine just to kill 3,000 people with my 1.5k horde is just silly. Reminds me far too much of EU3, and why I stopped colonizing in that game.

Also, Reformed Tengri is hilarious.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

dongsweep posted:

Can you capture their daughter, make her a concubine, then have a valid claim on their lands once you pop out a son?
Yes, indeed. That's always good for a laugh. Just make sure to be ready to help the claimant out in the inevitable civil war or three that will break out immediately after they're installed.

Concubines themselves appear to be (almost completely) disinherited - it skips over them if any other direct descendents would qualify to inherit, including children of the concubine herself. I.e., if the woman made into a concubine is the only child of the ruler, and the concubine has one son, that son will be the heir, rather than the concubine herself. But I believe that if she's the only living direct descendant, she will inherit anyway, and will be pulled out of your court to rule. This ends the concubinage.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 6, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, indeed. That's always good for a laugh. Just make sure to be ready to help the claimant out in the inevitable civil war or three that will break out immediately after they're installed.

Concubines themselves appear to be (almost completely) disinherited - it skips over them if any other direct descendents would qualify to inherit, including children of the concubine herself. I.e., if the woman made into a concubine is the only child of the ruler, and the concubine has one son, that son will be the heir, rather than the concubine herself. But I believe that if she's the only living direct descendant, she will inherit anyway, and will be pulled out of your court to rule. This ends the concubinage.

Capturing siblings of the ruler is best, since they have already inherited the weak claim and just need to produce an heir and then pass the claim to them. I acquired an Asturian princess and she had a couple of kids, including my primary heir. She even died of natural causes, which was handy. One of her kids even pressed the claim himself, saving me the trouble of watching and waiting for the opportunity.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Reforming the Slavic faith is gonna be a challenge. Two holy sites around Pomerania, the rest is up in loving Russia, or Kiev or Bulgaria. :shepicide:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I bought CK2 when it came out, but had a hard time really getting into it. Do any of the Xpacs help with the newbie experience, or are there any resources that help with it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zotix posted:

I bought CK2 when it came out, but had a hard time really getting into it. Do any of the Xpacs help with the newbie experience, or are there any resources that help with it?

:confused:

Assuming you mean expansions, no not really. The DLCs mainly let you play as various people you can't play as in the vanilla game, muslims, pagans, merchant republics.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Walliard posted:

Weak claims can only be pressed under certain conditions. The title must either be held by a female, in regency, or being disputed in a civil war.

Oh! That clears so up much of this game. Time for plots :D

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
How do I find people who I promised to marry off? I keep promising people that I'll find them a partner then forgetting their names :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

http://ckiiwiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide
Start out in Dublin and don't be afraid to let the clock roll for a while if there's nothing to do in a small game like that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

LowellDND posted:

Edit: I have a claim for Lancaster, York, or all of England, but Im unsure if Im ready. Is there a way to get a count of their levees?

Go to the profile of the person you're about to go to war with, click "Realm tree" (it's the right-most one of the three buttons in the top right, with the dynasty and family tree buttons) and then mouse over the % by their name. I have no idea why it's so hidden away but there ya go. Tells you both the max they can call at 100% and the max they can call at this moment in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, what would have to be done to:

1. Flesh out the Hellenistic faith to bring it up to par with the Norse/Slavic/OG paganism?

2. Flesh out a Roman Culture to be on par with the others, so you get specific named ranks equivalent to Jarls etc

Is there a mod that does these kinds of things? I want to create and expand the classical Roman Empire.

Oh, same question with regard to Welsh/Celts. An event to spawn a huge army led by Artorius, returned to reunite Brittania would be :krad:

(Yeah, I went and read the first 11 volumes of Vinland Saga...)

• Locked thread