Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Sometimes I like to think this is like a bad soap-opera where the characters can't stop looking at the camera. :allears:
I'm honestly not sure what Dunkirk is going to do. Part of me is divided at "He was quick to off Plume so he's all about self-preservation and will do what will most likely ensure his survival" or he's going to kill the Koala guy or end up helping them escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm late again, but

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Treason

Isn't he already committing treason by not telling his boss that Not-Plume is not Plume?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

Isn't he already committing treason by not telling his boss that Not-Plume is not Plume?

It's only treason if he gets caught.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
And if he's going to die anyways, then what's the point of Not-Plume hiding the fact that he's not Plume?

I mean, the only reason why he kept it a secret was that he was going to be killed if he didn't.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not-Plume is not the brightest of dudes. That light bulb's gonna turn on eventually

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This comic has gone way too long without a drawn out logic standoff, and its making me antsy.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Can't black mail Dunkirk without also getting Shim killed. We may see that logic train in the next comic (Not-Plume threatens to reveal Dunkirk, who threatens to then reveal Shim, who at this point is just as guilty for hiding the truth about Not-Plume). Remember, Not-Plume revealed who he was to Shim in front of Dunkirk. Sorry if someone mentioned this already.

(maybe we get a three way team up instead. I mean who the hell is left on the ship who doesn't have a stake in the game? Harp?)

Grogquock fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 6, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loyalty

Not-Plume is really running out of options now. We're in for something big soon.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Grogquock posted:

(maybe we get a three way team up instead. I mean who the hell is left on the ship who doesn't have a stake in the game? Harp?)

I'm still of the opinion that ~~Plume isn't dead.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sizone posted:

I'm still of the opinion that ~~Plume isn't dead.

How could he not be dead? Dunkirk stabbed him pretty good, and I doubt he wouldn't be thorough about it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ChairMaster posted:

How could he not be dead? Dunkirk stabbed him pretty good, and I doubt he wouldn't be thorough about it.

Mastery of the body, shifting internal organs to avoid the spear, control of breath and heartbeat to appear dead, BEING A WIZARD.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sizone posted:

Mastery of the body, shifting internal organs to avoid the spear, control of breath and heartbeat to appear dead, BEING A WIZARD.

, working with Dunkirk to accomplish something this whole time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sizone posted:

He could have cast a DoNotDieiX Spell. :ohdear:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Save the Tjargellos :ohdear:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Save the Tjargellos :ohdear:

That gets no emotional response from me.

If we were talking about one Tjargello baby on the other hand...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Image Search

Now we're back to some decent :biotruths: at least. Operation Save the Babby is underway.

Also, should I stop posting the links, or do people prefer them to manually going to the end of the comic?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

my dad posted:

Image Search

Now we're back to some decent :biotruths: at least. Operation Save the Babby is underway.

Also, should I stop posting the links, or do people prefer them to manually going to the end of the comic?

It's nice to have a heads up when the strip has updated.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's pretty hilarious. You know, people like to be all "biotruths" this and that, but he's totally right. There's a pretty good reason in those charity commercials they always show you the starving african children and not the adults.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I gotta say, Tjargello babies are pretty cute.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I like it that the explanation doesn't go the usual stereotypical "women just love babies" but instead explains it as something all humans have developed because :biotruths:

Anyway, do you people think Thorsby might personally believe some of this stuff? I have hard time believing that, but it sounds like some people in this thread do.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hempuli posted:

Anyway, do you people think Thorsby might personally believe some of this stuff? I have hard time believing that, but it sounds like some people in this thread do.

Some of it not so much but it's pretty undeniable that we're biologically programmed to like babies. If we weren't nobody would put up with their poo poo because they're terrible in almost every way.

edit: I understand that a lot of the general reluctance to acknowledge this sort of stuff because a lot of stupid assholes use it to justify sexism or racism, but it's hardly a reason to pretend like it doesn't influence the way we are in pretty large ways.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

ChairMaster posted:

That's pretty hilarious. You know, people like to be all "biotruths" this and that, but he's totally right. There's a pretty good reason in those charity commercials they always show you the starving african children and not the adults.

To add to the opposite end: just as it hasn't been very long since we outgrew the need to want to eat fatty foods and store body fat, hence our continued instinct to do so, the spacefaring humans of Petrevolt haven't yet evolved an instinctive aversion to the death of a species.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2013

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BiggerJ posted:

To add to the opposite end: just as it hasn't been very long since we outgrew the need to want to eat fatty foods and store body fat, hence our continued instinct to do so, the spacefaring humans of Petrevolt haven't yet evolved an instinctive aversion to the death of a species.

They've only been off Earth for a couple thousand years. Aside from the obvious cosmetic genetic things that other races modified into them they're evolutionarily pretty much identical to the humans of Earth.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Wonder if they're going to end up fighting Dunkirk now. He's like the only guy around besides the Koala now.
I don't know if its just me, but I love when the guys that the heroes are working for turn out to be just as bad as the people that tried to kill/enslave them on the other planets. The real reason for war is ensuring survival of ones race over another's.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

I have a hard time conceiving of the kind of creature that would be rationally affected in equally appropriate ways by the deaths of thousands, or even millions of what are essentially abstract representations of people in the same way that it would be affected by the death of one person it knows or even can identify with. The amount of sympathy necessary to deal with mass genocide on any kind of emotional level would tax even the mind of god. A creature that is part of a collective consciousness might be able to handle it, but that too is so radically different than what I am that such an experience is pretty much beyond my imagination.

Basically, stop tossing around biotruths. It's a stupid word to begin with, it's misused and where it's applicable is stupid reddit level discussions of why girls, in general, like shiny things. Thorsby's accounts of humor, faith and now this are, albeit cynical, pretty much spot on and humorous jabs at the inherent absurdities of being a sentient creature trapped in a bounded physical form and surrounded by a hostile world.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sizone posted:

Basically, stop tossing around biotruths. It's a stupid word to begin with, it's misused and where it's applicable is stupid reddit level discussions of why girls, in general, like shiny things. Thorsby's accounts of humor, faith and now this are, albeit cynical, pretty much spot on and humorous jabs at the inherent absurdities of being a sentient creature trapped in a bounded physical form and surrounded by a hostile world.

Whooosh.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Edit: Sorry, misread something.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 12, 2013

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
It's like a biologically hardwired Monkeysphere.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
"He will likely collapse to the grown" :ohdear:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

Some of it not so much but it's pretty undeniable that we're biologically programmed to like babies. If we weren't nobody would put up with their poo poo because they're terrible in almost every way.

edit: I understand that a lot of the general reluctance to acknowledge this sort of stuff because a lot of stupid assholes use it to justify sexism or racism, but it's hardly a reason to pretend like it doesn't influence the way we are in pretty large ways.

Ah, by "I have hard time believing that" I meant that I have hard time believing that Thorsby writes these evolution-related parts seriously. Babies are special to other people, but studies show that their crying is more considered more irritating than most alarm buzzes, and this apparently has some genetic basis (prioritizing human distress etc).

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
And we learn about the :siren: lunnhui :siren:. A species that I can't ever see going to war.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 12, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder how they manage to reproduce and avoid incest, what with all the necessary isolation that is required for them to avoid insanity? Maybe it's comparable to how we structure a distributed genetic algorithm where you only reproduce within your particular population unit and only exchange genetic information with the neighboring populations through migration? On the other hand, the fact that they don't even realize that they've been kidnapped means that migration would be a relatively rare event.

I love just how, well, alien Thorsby's aliens are, without actually being all that different from us. It's an interesting poke at some standard sci-fi cliches.

Hempuli posted:

Ah, by "I have hard time believing that" I meant that I have hard time believing that Thorsby writes these evolution-related parts seriously. Babies are special to other people, but studies show that their crying is more considered more irritating than most alarm buzzes, and this apparently has some genetic basis (prioritizing human distress etc).

The reason is that (most?) primate babies are literally incapable of taking care of themselves without the help of an adult and are rather prone to dying easily. Not reacting immediately to your baby's cries could literally be removing your genes from the genepool. Seeing that cry as something extremely unpleasant encourages a swift reaction and increases your chances of successfully reproducing (that is, having your offspring live long enough to reproduce)

That's at least what I've heard. :shobon: If there's an evolutionary biologist reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: ^^^ Thanks for posting the update. Could you just add sirens to make it more noticeable, then I'll remove them from my post.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 12, 2013

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Maybe some of the goods that the lunnhui trade between houses include genetic material

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Buzkashi posted:

Maybe some of the goods that the lunnhui trade between houses include genetic material

That sounds really gross. Your supposed to wash your hands afterwards for a reason. :ohdear:
There's definitely got to be some inbreeding going on. Also nice to see a race destroy itself over being to sympathetic.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Hmm, too bad he skipped how the trait arose in the first place for this one. It wouldn't seem particularly evolutionarily advantageous, even before it had the chance of causing complete disability.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Grogquock posted:

Hmm, too bad he skipped how the trait arose in the first place for this one. It wouldn't seem particularly evolutionarily advantageous, even before it had the chance of causing complete disability.

Evolution doesn't select for positive traits, it only selects against mutations that are detrimental to keeping the blood line going. In a small enough population, massive amounts of empathy wouldn't necessarily be a drawback. As populations grow, so do culture and technology which counter physical/psychological detriments.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the comic is closing in on the final stretch. I say this mostly because the newest comic is labeled "FINAL PART".

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Athena sounds pretty sure of herself. We all know where that sort of thinking leads to in a Thorsby comic.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's probably going to cause a big war, instead of causing less of them.

And it might even turn out to be completely off, where the deaths/coverups were completely pointless since it doesn't apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I'm sure there must be a species out there that hears the theory and goes 'Uh, yeah, females are the only reason to go to war. What, you say you fight each other for different reasons? Barbarians.'

• Locked thread