Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Daius posted:

That's the secret of Gunnerkrigg Court, Antimony. It's infected by the spiral.

If you think that's bad, wait until Kat pops open her robot growth tank and the horrific fish mecha start pouring out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

If you think that's bad, wait until Kat pops open her robot growth tank and the horrific fish mecha start pouring out.

Why am I reading this. What the gently caress is this.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
While investigating the cliff faces over Annan Waters Annie and Kat discover some holes shaped like people...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Annie's hair is an octopus. Your references are irrelevant.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus Christ I love that chapter so much. Every face in the whole sequence is golden, from Red spacing out from being named to the ppphhhhbbtt face to Blue's subtly increasingly pissed off face. And I learned that Jabroni is a word. The best word?

Also Blue's ability is fairly powerful, it'd be almost scary if she didn't only use it to get constant admiration. Wonder what is Red's ability.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Also Blue's ability is fairly powerful, it'd be almost scary if she didn't only use it to get constant admiration. Wonder what is Red's ability.

She's a Super Schmendrick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blackheart posted:

I don't think that was an 'ability' like some kind of x-men mutation or like Smitty or Parley's things. I think it was just something that she was good at doing.

It's the Quislett kids that are all confirmed as having some specific quality/ability.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was pretty sure that she had the power to affect other's memories, which explains Annie's behavior (and knowing about a made-up creature). It looks like an ability unique to her. Not sure if it was explicitly stated however.

Daius posted:

She's a Super Schmendrick.

Level TWO Super Schmendrick, please. I think it gives you resistance to Level 2 collar pops.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Thankfully, the only person at the Court who can do a Level 3 collar pop is Smitty, and he only uses his powers for good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

Thankfully, the only person at the Court who can do a Level 3 collar pop is Smitty, and he only uses his powers for good.

There is always Winsbury, whose collar popped so much it opened up his shirt. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=937

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why am I reading this. What the gently caress is this.

Junji Ito. :getin:

Zimmy would be perfect in any of Ito's worlds.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Casull posted:

Junji Ito. :getin:

Zimmy would be perfect in any of Ito's worlds.

Oh god, I can totally imagine the faceless people in Zimmy's world being something he would come up with. And the twist that sometimes real people are faceless to Zimmy, too.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Well, we know that Tom is inspired by Junji Ito's work. Annie is partially based on the main character of Uzumaki, and even the opening lines of Gunnerkrigg Court are lifted from that comic.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 6, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh god, I can totally imagine the faceless people in Zimmy's world being something he would come up with. And the twist that sometimes real people are faceless to Zimmy, too.

The only difference being the shower of guts that happens when Gamma makes real people explode.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Mattress posted:

The only difference being the shower of guts that happens when Gamma makes real people explode.
Sounds like Hyland got off easy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Rasamune posted:

Well, we know that Tom is inspired by Junji Ito's work. Annie is partially based on the main character of Uzumaki, and even the opening lines of Gunnerkrigg Court are lifted from that comic.

Wow, that's... not something I would have expected, given the way GKC has developed.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

dyzzy posted:

Wow, that's... not something I would have expected, given the way GKC has developed.

Just give it time. This whole Kat/Paz thing was to lull us into a false sense of security :unsmigghh:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MikeJF posted:

I don't think that was an 'ability' like some kind of x-men mutation or like Smitty or Parley's things. I think it was just something that she was good at doing.

It's the Quislett kids that are all confirmed as having some specific quality/ability.

But Parley is Thornhill. :confused:

So what's the deal with Thornhill kids, anyway? All we know from them is Parley, and if I had to guess also her not-brony friends, but that doesn't really tell us much does it? Add that to the mystery pile.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dyzzy posted:

If I recall correctly Gunnerkrigg Court's original plans was supposed to be a much darker story then it turned out to be.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Olivia42 posted:

So what's the deal with Thornhill kids, anyway? All we know from them is Parley, and if I had to guess also her not-brony friends, but that doesn't really tell us much does it? Add that to the mystery pile.

I seem to recall that the Thornhills are kids with some exceptional talent, but no known etheric ability.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So something I noticed when looking at the wallpaper with Kat and all the robots. The Horsebot is much more intricate than any of the other court robots, and the cowbot even more so. If all the current robots are simplifications of Diego's originals, then naturally the more used robots had to get replaced faster, and with simpler designs. The horsebots and especially the cowbots don't see as much use and therefore get replaced lass often and so have more intricate designs closer to the originals.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Rasamune posted:

I seem to recall that the Thornhills are kids with some exceptional talent, but no known etheric ability.
But isn't teleportation an etheric ability? (Look at you Mort Fun Timers, recalling things together.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but remember that when we met Parley, she hadn't discovered her power or how to use it yet. There was her dad's prediction that she'd be a great psychic; but since he also predicted that she'd be a boy, it kinda possibly invalidated the rest of the prediction. And it's only in her last year (or second last?) that her power is finally manifested and made known. So all this time without teleportation she didn't really need to be with the weird kids. It would just have made her feel inadequate.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Taking that a step further, does Smitty's ability keep him from getting stuck with the "weird kids" in a sort of catch-22?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Well, wouldn't maintaining order place him with the weird kids? :v:

Looks like we're following Renard for awhile. drat it, the Tumblr hordes and I wanted to see more adorable first-relationship-navigating!

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Fecha posted:

Looks like we're following Renard for awhile. drat it, the Tumblr hordes and I wanted to see more adorable first-relationship-navigating!

The last page did say "Annie does not yet know" and not "Annie and Renard do not yet know".

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
I may be lying in an aquarium,
but I'm dreaming of the stars.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Renard looks pretty momentous here. All serious-bussiness like.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That panel of Renard getting up and transforming is gorgeous.

Do we know or have any idea what Winsbury's power is? Might it in fact be being the best driver?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Olivia42 posted:

Based on current evidence, with a fair bit of inference and speculation:

Thornhill kids are just ordinary and normal, nothing special about them. Hey, they gotta go somewhere. Parley was ordinary up until she was in sixth form.

Queslett kids are mostly normal but have some kind of specialty, etheric or otherwise (Kat's doesn't seem to be), Chester kids seem to be... not quite ordinary humans, on some level beyond just talents (like Zimmy) or not really human at all (like Brinnie), and Foley kids are forest transfers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 7, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In this thrilling chapter of GUNNERKRIGG COURT we join the demon, Renard, as he takes a STROLL through the court grounds. What horrible deeds is he up to? Will he go to the Provisioner and buy some GROCERIES? Or maybe head to the library and get his evil paws on some BOOKS. A rollercoaster of emotions!

MikeJF posted:

Based on current evidence, with a fair bit of inference and speculation:

Thornhill kids are just ordinary and normal, nothing special about them. Hey, they gotta go somewhere. Parley was ordinary up until she was in sixth form.

Queslett kids are mostly normal but have some kind of specialty, etheric or otherwise (Kat's doesn't seem to be), Chester kids seem to be... not quite ordinary humans, on some level beyond just talents (like Zimmy) or not really human at all (like Brinnie), and Foley kids are forest transfers.

Even then, apparently the house distinctions aren't absolute. For example not every Foley student is a forest creature (but maybe everyone has to be supernatural?) and only most of the queslett kids have an identified special ability. For example, Katerina might've been put there only because of her parents since up to recently her only "power" was being good at machines (we know now that this knowledge isn't entirely natural)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Considering Anja's etheric tech, maybe they put her there with the knowledge that she'd get access to it at some point.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Anja also has some innate etheric abilities (but apparently doesn't like to use them anymore). She did some purple bubble stuff in Ties.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blackheart posted:

For example not every Foley student is a forest creature (but maybe everyone has to be supernatural?)

What Foley students aren't? Seems to me that with the exception of Shadow, who Jones snuck in and wasn't assigned normally to the house, everyone there is an animal or fairy who was transformed into a human.

Blackheart posted:

For example, Katerina might've been put there only because of her parents since up to recently her only "power" was being good at machines (we know now that this knowledge isn't entirely natural)

Wait, since when do we know it isn't natural?

Even if she's just extraordinarily gifted in that area, I think that's enough. I reckon it might just be Queslett = some valuable ability to be nurtured, natural or otherwise. Maybe they'll all be getting special classes later on for their gifts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 7, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MikeJF posted:

What Foley students aren't? Seems to me that with the exception of Shadow, who Jones snuck in and wasn't assigned normally to the house, everyone there is an animal or fairy who was transformed into a human.

Annie asks Jones if all Foley students come from the forest and she says "largely". So it's safe to assume a small amount of students in Foley aren't from the forest

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=979

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Annie asks Jones if all Foley students come from the forest and she says "largely". So it's safe to assume a small amount of students in Foley aren't from the forest

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=979

Ahh. Yeah, well, maybe there are transformed-to-human-from-animal-or-fairy students who aren't from the forest.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Wait, since when do we know it isn't natural?

Since things like the bird wing understanding scene (although that could be more symbolic), or how she can interpret the "unreadable" robot code in the cube. At least the way I read those scenes is that Kat's mechanical abilities do have some supernatural component. ( I meant it isn't "natural" as in it isn't just above-average aptitude aqcuired from study)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Oh but I do hope he stops by the grave of That Young Man

(if he's buried on the Court, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Since things like the bird wing understanding scene (although that could be more symbolic), or how she can interpret the "unreadable" robot code in the cube. At least the way I read those scenes is that Kat's mechanical abilities do have some supernatural component. ( I meant it isn't "natural" as in it isn't just above-average aptitude aqcuired from study)

Yeah the reactions of the bots make it pretty clear that Kat is the first human (presumably since Diego) who could understand their code writing. I wonder how much Anja ever found out about the old robots. It seems pretty clear that she had been down to the basement where the original models were lying dormant. But it doesn't seem likely that she ever got one to activate or found the shrine to Jeanne behind the sealed up door. Still the rather vague conversation here implies that she knew something important was going on there. Kat hasn't shown any ability to form protective magic bubbles like Anja did, so maybe she didn't get any straight up etheric powers but instead just got a hyperactive intellect. She did build an antigravity device, after all. I kind of see her as a Nikola Tesla type of character, except with a little less of the crazy. Tesla also had a special connection with pigeons.