Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't break them here :smug:

:smugwizard: :respek: :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What do people even mean by breaking tables? Are there people browsing SA with IE 6 or something?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

EightBit posted:

What do people even mean by breaking tables? Are there people browsing SA with IE 6 or something?

Only a couple of years ago one of the admins on here noticed that there was a guy browsing the forums on WebTv. Yeah, THAT WebTv. I think he got permabanned.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Only a couple of years ago one of the admins on here noticed that there was a guy browsing the forums on WebTv. Yeah, THAT WebTv. I think he got permabanned.

Can someone elaborate on this story and why he was permabanned?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

Because right now (and I wouldn't expect this to change) the forums don't autoscale images and making people scroll horizontally because you were literally too lazy to add a 'l' before the '.jpg' in your imgur-hosted image is a dick move.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

Can someone elaborate on this story and why he was permabanned?

Lowtax posted a bunch of data on how many people were using which browsers. There was one guy who was using WebTV and Lowtax banned him because (and I'm paraphrasing) "WTF, WebTV? Really?"

edit: I guess it was Radium, not Lowtax.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 6, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

"About 91% of visitors are on Windows. Mac users make up 5% and Linux is 2%. The other 2% are permabanned IRC trolls browsing the forums with a text-based browser written in Ruby on OpenBSD. Oh yeah, we have one guy using WebTV but I banned him because WTF." -- Radium

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Quick lesson in imgur: if you paste the direct link to the large thumbnail size imgur link generated for you on the imgur site by clicking "large thumbnail" under all the embed codes, the forums automatically turn it into a link to the full size image. It's fantastical.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For me, it's quicker to just go directly to the image after uploading it, adding a lowercase "L" to the filename (before .jpg), then copy/pasting.

Though I use CTRL-L to get to the URL, then CTRL-C/CTRL-V to copy/paste instead of using the mouse. I'm all about the keyboard shortcuts :corsair:

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Good job dude, that amusement park token totally helps. Thanks.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I was told that a rare antique Vette was coming by the shop today...

Oh. :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo, that looks clean as hell.

Edit: Obvious "Vette" funny bits

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That's almost as bass-rear end as a 1985 Nova.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I know people that would un-ironically pay good money for a clean manual example of one of those. Apparently they are pretty fun cars for what they are.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Root Bear posted:

I was told that a rare antique Vette was coming by the shop today...

Oh. :downs:

If it was a diesel, it would be.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Mighty Horse posted:

If it was a diesel, it would be.

Just because it's rare doesn't make it not worthy of being destroyed.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Came out of the house to go to work yesterday and found this waiting for me.

Someone had violated Snowball, my '91 Range Rover Classic. She's a Great Divide Edition - #101 of 400.

I had video of my front yard from that time but it only shows my truck jumping forward. Not enough to see the attacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdTqfrcu7k

loving, poo poo poo poo poo poo....No note on the truck either. Looking closer we found an interesting piece of debris. I'm pretty sure this didn't come off my truck.

While I talked to the police, my 16 year old son hopped on his bike and started following the trail of parts. I got a call 5 minutes later "I found the truck! I found the one that hit your Rover!". I told him to book it home and we drove over together, camera in hand. We found this when we arrived.

I think we found the guilty party. That missing badge looks like it might fit the part I have back home. I called 911 and parked down the block to watch. A cruiser showed up a few minutes later and I told my story. He explained there's not much he can do legally but I might be able to pursue him in civil court if needed. He said he wanted to look at their truck and would meet me back at my place.

15 minutes later he shows up with a smile on his face. He pulls a piece of paper out of his booklet and hands it to me. It has the guy's full insurance info. When the cop was there the guy walked out and confessed immediately. He said he knew hit 'hit something small last night' and planned on coming over in the morning to see what happened. You believe that poo poo, don't you? Neither did I or the cop. The cop said he could haul him off for hit-and-run if I decided to press charges. I didn't at this point. As long as his insurance company pays up I'll be satisfied. Mostly. I can take solace in the fact that he's an independent contractor and his work truck is now hosed up.

Looks like I have a summer project on my hands now. Time for upgrades. New tire carrier bumper I always wanted and, after replacing the panels, the new paint just she desperately needs. It's hard for a shop to paint match 23+ years of oxidation from Texas sun. I'll also have my shop go over the drivetrain with a fine-toothed comb. All that shock was taken up by the transfer case and tranny. I don't wanna be driving down the highway at 80MPH and have a something go boom.

His insurance company has already mentioned the word "totaled". When I meet with them later today I'll have a pile of receipts for the new motor I had built and dropped in last year. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 7, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Let me guess. He was drunk as poo poo last night.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Charge that rear end in a top hat and get him convicted for the hit-and-run. He's lucky he doesn't have a DUI hanging over his head as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah. In Canada they don't even give you the choice about whether or not to press charges, the Crown spins up and starts building a case on your behalf.

There's no excuse for hit and run. You have to be seriously blotto or otherwise incapacitated to miss a five thousand pound bright white chunk of Britain.

Good job on catching the guy!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 7, 2013

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kill-9 posted:

You believe that poo poo, don't you? Neither did I or the cop. The cop said he could haul him off for hit-and-run if I decided to press charges. I didn't at this point. As long as his insurance company pays up I'll be satisfied.

Yeah, please don't file charges against him. All he did was hit your parked car at night while probably completely sober, drive off, then park and claim he was going to see what happened in the morning. He sounds like a decent person that will never do that again. It would be unfair for him to face the consequences of his actions. Who knows, maybe next time he'll hit someone, so he'll get a bigger charge, instead of being let off for this smaller one!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Came out of the house to go to work yesterday and found this waiting for me.

Someone had violated Snowball, my '91 Range Rover Classic. She's a Great Divide Edition - #101 of 400.

I had video of my front yard from that time but it only shows my truck jumping forward. Not enough to see the attacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdTqfrcu7k

loving, poo poo poo poo poo poo....No note on the truck either. Looking closer we found an interesting piece of debris. I'm pretty sure this didn't come off my truck.

While I talked to the police, my 16 year old son hopped on his bike and started following the trail of parts. I got a call 5 minutes later "I found the truck! I found the one that hit your Rover!". I told him to book it home and we drove over together, camera in hand. We found this when we arrived.

I think we found the guilty party. That missing badge looks like it might fit the part I have back home. I called 911 and parked down the block to watch. A cruiser showed up a few minutes later and I told my story. He explained there's not much he can do legally but I might be able to pursue him in civil court if needed. He said he wanted to look at their truck and would meet me back at my place.

15 minutes later he shows up with a smile on his face. He pulls a piece of paper out of his booklet and hands it to me. It has the guy's full insurance info. When the cop was there the guy walked out and confessed immediately. He said he knew hit 'hit something small last night' and planned on coming over in the morning to see what happened. You believe that poo poo, don't you? Neither did I or the cop. The cop said he could haul him off for hit-and-run if I decided to press charges. I didn't at this point. As long as his insurance company pays up I'll be satisfied. Mostly. I can take solace in the fact that he's an independent contractor and his work truck is now hosed up.

Looks like I have a summer project on my hands now. Time for upgrades. New tire carrier bumper I always wanted and, after replacing the panels, the new paint just she desperately needs. It's hard for a shop to paint match 23+ years of oxidation from Texas sun. I'll also have my shop go over the drivetrain with a fine-toothed comb. All that shock was taken up by the transfer case and tranny. I don't wanna be driving down the highway at 80MPH and have a something go boom.

His insurance company has already mentioned the word "totaled". When I meet with them later today I'll have a pile of receipts for the new motor I had built and dropped in last year. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

I just went through all that poo poo with another insurance company. Those receipts don't mean poo poo to them, but just don't settle and they'll come around eventually.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah. In Canada they don't even give you the choice about whether or not to press charges, the Crown spins up and starts building a case on your behalf.

There's no excuse for hit and run. You have to be seriously blotto or otherwise incapacitated to miss a five thousand pound bright white chunk of Britain.

Good job on catching the guy!

Well if you are drunk, the consequences of a hit and run are usually less than accident + dui.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you have good insurance, you might want to just let them handle the repairs then sue the poo poo out of his insurance. That's how I handled my last 2 incidents.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
It's you, you're That Guy.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Let me guess. He was drunk as poo poo last night.

I will make no public opinion on that at this time.

Who isn't sure he was most likely wasted off his rear end?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I just went through all that poo poo with another insurance company. Those receipts don't mean poo poo to them, but just don't settle and they'll come around eventually.

Receipts for unrelated work should only matter if insurance is going to total this - to me, this looks like something insurance would possibly pay out a repair bill on, not a replacement. That Rover is body-on-frame, right?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

jamal posted:

Well if you are drunk, the consequences of a hit and run are usually less than accident + dui.

This.

Yes, he was most probably drunk. Everyone knows that. The skid marks and the video show he apparently never even tried stopping. If I had them prosecute for hit and run I get to lose also. I get to take time off work, go to court, deal with lawyers, lose vacation days, have a neighbor a few houses away that knows where I live and hates my guts, etc. I don't see how I win there.

He actually called me an hour ago and apologized in person. I was stunned. He actually seemed sorry. Maybe it was sorry for getting caught. But he told me to let him know if the insurance company gives any problems and he'll make it right. At least he's manning up now. A little late but there it is.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Receipts for unrelated work should only matter if insurance is going to total this - to me, this looks like something insurance would possibly pay out a repair bill on, not a replacement. That Rover is body-on-frame, right?

Yeah, it's all cosmetic damage, assuming the drivetrain is okay. The frame is unaffected. If the insurance company wants to total it there will be a buyback clause included in that. The quarter can be found for a couple hundred used, the D-pillar is an unknown, and the light assembly about $100 bucks. I'll have a new custom bumper with tire carrier fabbed.

The funny part is if I'd done this same amount of damage offroading I'd have looked at it and gone "Well. poo poo.", kicked the panel back in, ordered a new taillight assembly, and moved on with life. In fact, I have done that exact thing with the old Defender.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kill-9 posted:

He actually called me an hour ago and apologized in person. I was stunned. He actually seemed sorry. Maybe it was sorry for getting caught. But he told me to let him know if the insurance company gives any problems and he'll make it right. At least he's manning up now. A little late but there it is.

Well at this point what does he have to gain by being a dick to you? I'm sure the cop took him aside and explained in very strong terms how he isn't going to enjoy all the paperwork and courtroom bullshit that will surely result if this whole thing isn't settled amicably and someone ends up needing to get got.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
There's no "manning up" after he gets caught. Manning up would be knocking on your door at 2am, admitting fault and calling the cops. That's what a responsible man (or woman) would do. Don't feel bad for him, he made his decisions.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

netwerk23 posted:

There's no "manning up" after he gets caught. Manning up would be knocking on your door at 2am, admitting fault and calling the cops. That's what a responsible man (or woman) would do. Don't feel bad for him, he made his decisions.

Never said I felt bad for him.

I can kinda get not wanting to knock on a Texan's door in the dark at 2am(we're all gun-toting hicks and shoot at bumps in the night) to say "hey, I trashed your truck" but at least leave a loving note. I wouldn't even have called the cops had there been a note.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MURIKA :911:

jamal posted:

Not in Texas. Punishable by up to 5 years in state, and that's assuming there's no injuries. If there's injuries, it's an automatic felony.

First time DUI gets 3-180 days in jail here. Second still only gets up to a year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm very glad it looks to be working out for you. Years ago, a kid I worked with got hit-and-runned, and even though I spotted the car he described, with the matching damage, and passed the reg number on, the police wouldn't investigate, because it wasn't conclusive enough. I mean, fair enough, you might not be able to prove anything, but you could at least check up on it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Widebody with skinny wheels, probably a 2 inch spacer on them, altezzas, z3 fenders, an STi wing (literally), and lovely gauges.

I will applaud him for actually painting the widebody though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is that... a monitor?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

I can only imagine this is the driver.

This came through my auction once.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Is that... a monitor?

In my car? Ricer broadway mirror, no Honda is complete without one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across this in YOSPOS, reminds me of a certain Jeep photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came across this in YOSPOS, reminds me of a certain Jeep photo:

Holy gently caress, that thing must have traversed the driver's entire buttcrack. If I had to guess, there's some poop on the end of the rebar.