Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

contrapants posted:

A lot of the problem is that Gentoo is still working on systemd. It's not supported yet. They don't encourage moving to it yet.

It would be more accurate to say that the Gentoo devs are openly hostile towards systemd. I switched to it so I could learn it given that there's a good chance RHEL7 will feature systemd and we'll be jumping on that pretty much immediately after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

utterly unsuited to a business environment. Why are you still doing this?

I never mentioned a business environment. I'm in academia and I'm the de facto sysadmin for my research group's servers -- I chose Ubuntu 12.04 for these and it's never given us any trouble. I use Gentoo at home on my router and file server; Kubuntu on my laptop and desktops.

I still do use Gentoo for experimenting with newer software, albeit in VMs instead of on any machine that I care about. Running a full ~* system is just as much of an adventure as it used to be, and VM snapshots come in handy for undoing failed experiments.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I switched to it so I could learn it given that there's a good chance RHEL7 will feature systemd and we'll be jumping on that pretty much immediately after launch.
Here's where I'll make the generically useful "if you want to know what's coming in RHEL, use Fedora" comment.

Lysidas posted:

I never mentioned a business environment. I'm in academia and I'm the de facto sysadmin for my research group's servers -- I chose Ubuntu 12.04 for these and it's never given us any trouble. I use Gentoo at home on my router and file server; Kubuntu on my laptop and desktops.

I still do use Gentoo for experimenting with newer software, albeit in VMs instead of on any machine that I care about. Running a full ~* system is just as much of an adventure as it used to be, and VM snapshots come in handy for undoing failed experiments.

I guess I should clarify that I didn't mean you specifically in a business environment, it was more of a general "don't compile your own kernels if you're going to make other people deal with it" comment. It's not super awesome to swap a dead RAID controller with a new one to find out that you need to boot a rescue CD and rebuild your kernel to make your server work. I also didn't mean a full ~* system. Rather that the choice between mm-sources and gentoo-sources was very real. The user base was split between JFS, XFS, and Reiser, with very little ext3. When ATI released new (probably terrible) fglrx, somebody probably had an overlay to make it work with the newest version of X.org within a day. That's just not there any longer. I can run all full ~* system, but then why am I not just using Arch or Fedora Rawhide?

The user base that made Gentoo what it was either moved on to other distros or got mired in a "welp, not gonna use that" mindset, whether that was initrds, systemd, X.org instead of XF86, grub instead of LILO, or whatever. LXC is still masked. But vserver-sources isn't. And that says everything about the current Gentoo community, really.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a problem with my home server, it's a debian+shorewall (iptables) setup to route traffic on my home network and my cable modem. Periodically I will be unable to ssh in remotely. It will prompt me for my password, I'll enter it, and then it times out for a minute or so before exiting with 'broken pipe'. This problem is completely random, I can make 10 attempts back to back and 2 will be successful and 8 will not. The password prompt always comes up immediately and then times out after sending the pass. Often when this is happening I can bounce my ssh session to another machine and immediately log in from that host even while the first attempt is still stalled. I read on Google that this is a somewhat common problem for machines with multiple nics and the fix is to enable arp filtering (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter). I ran this command and cat-ing the file shows a 1. However I'm still having the same issue. Any ideas for a fix? Anybody run into this before?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

revmoo posted:

I have a problem with my home server, it's a debian+shorewall (iptables) setup to route traffic on my home network and my cable modem. Periodically I will be unable to ssh in remotely. It will prompt me for my password, I'll enter it, and then it times out for a minute or so before exiting with 'broken pipe'. This problem is completely random, I can make 10 attempts back to back and 2 will be successful and 8 will not. The password prompt always comes up immediately and then times out after sending the pass. Often when this is happening I can bounce my ssh session to another machine and immediately log in from that host even while the first attempt is still stalled. I read on Google that this is a somewhat common problem for machines with multiple nics and the fix is to enable arp filtering (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter). I ran this command and cat-ing the file shows a 1. However I'm still having the same issue. Any ideas for a fix? Anybody run into this before?

UseDNS no

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

evol262 posted:

UseDNS no

This did not fix the issue.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

revmoo posted:

This did not fix the issue.

You'll probably need to ssh with "-vvv" and possibly run sshd with debug logging and no forking to find out where it's hanging up. If it's not DNS, the second most likely issue is GSSAPI, but it's essentially impossible to say from your description. Get logs/debug output.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Alright people who are even bigger Linux nerds than me. I need some help. It's one of those vague hardware / software / driver things.

I have a Gravis Xterminator gamepad. It's a pad that was made in the late '90s or so which seems to be intended for use with flight sims mostly. I brought it out of retirement to play Kerbal Space Program with. One reason is because it has a throttle slider. But I have a problem. KSP seems to only recognise values of 0 to max for throttles or something like that. Essentially I can only get half throttle maximum. The slider is responsive over the whole range but I suspect the issue is that it reports values from -32767 to 32767. Ages ago it used to be possible to fiddle these values but I have no idea how to do it on a modern install. I used the KDE joystick module for calibration.

I considered setting both min and centre to the bottom of the slider. Would that work?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know how I'd use curl to download a content and its directory over ftps?

I can use wget -m, but it only support ftp, and I'd rather have the extra layer of security involved.

Any ideas?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Experto Crede posted:

Does anyone know how I'd use curl to download a content and its directory over ftps?

I can use wget -m, but it only support ftp, and I'd rather have the extra layer of security involved.

Any ideas?

Scp?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

Any ideas?
Is this something you're trying to do from a script or interactively? If the latter you can probably use lftp.

Ftps (ssl wrapped ftp), not sftp.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Experto Crede posted:

Any ideas?

Personally I use lftp cause its good for those kinds of protocols.
Launch it like: lftp ftps://somesite.com/wherever/
Then use the mirror command to grab everything. (Type 'help mirror' on the lftp shell to get any extra flags you might want)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Trying to do it via normal terminal commands, and lftp looks perfect! Thanks all :D

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004
I'm thinking about running linux as my main OS and just install Virtual Box on my next computer build. I was wondering if anybody has done this and put Windows in a VM and run Steam on it? The only thing keeping me from running linux full-time is I can't play Steam games properly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ElvisG posted:

I'm thinking about running linux as my main OS and just install Virtual Box on my next computer build. I was wondering if anybody has done this and put Windows in a VM and run Steam on it? The only thing keeping me from running linux full-time is I can't play Steam games properly.

It depends what games you want to play. The Linux steam library is constantly growing and has some pretty impressive titles the last time I checked. You also don't have to rebuy games and have licenses to any game you purchased for Windows.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ElvisG posted:

You will have to retain a seperate install of Windows to manage this. WINE is hit or miss at best with games. EVE works wonderfully under WINE as far as my limited testing indicated. DOTA2 works nearly flawless, just some minor glitchy things, like names, not properly showing up that I don't care to fully diagnose. Other games won't load at all or if they do, they'll lock the system up. Also, your idea of using a VM to play games won't work. Only a single OS can operate a piece of hardware and the Linux OS is the controller for that session.

It's totally worth it to try out a flavor of Linux and use it as your primary. Try out Ubuntu or Linux Mint, they seem to be the most approachable for new people. I tried and failed switching to Linux several times since 2004 when I first had a computer that wasn't a shared "family" computer and right now is really the best time to get involved in it. There is a genuine effort by the community to bring in and acclimate casual and new computer users both with decently made UI and more options than using the terminal unless you want to. Hell, half the time you have to resort to using the terminal there is a guide you can literally copy and paste all the commands from.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 3, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I've been considering doing something like this with xen to do windows gaming on linux, but I haven't had the willpower to work on it. But anyway, that may give you an idea.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

Only a single OS can operate a piece of hardware and the Linux OS is the controller for that session.

VMWare and VirtualBox both have graphics hardware passthrough. It's just QEMU/KVM that's taking some time, because there's security issues there.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

VMWare and VirtualBox both have graphics hardware passthrough. It's just QEMU/KVM that's taking some time, because there's security issues there.
But seriously once you have a dedicated video card for windows and consider all the trouble and decreased io performance it would probably make more sense to get another computer under most circumstances.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

mystes posted:

But seriously once you have a dedicated video card for windows and consider all the trouble and decreased io performance it would probably make more sense to get another computer under most circumstances.
Actually, with VT-d, the I/O performance is not an issue. Around a 5% performance dip, or so I hear. Hard to be exact with these things, but you get the idea. Once it's set up it's pretty cool. You can do things like snapshot your windows OS, manipulate it, and then revert it, or reboot it for updates without rebooting any of your VMs

ElvisG posted:

Thermopyle posted:

I've been considering doing something like this with xen to do windows gaming on linux, but I haven't had the willpower to work on it. But anyway, that may give you an idea.
I got as far as running a guest windows install with (buggy) access to the USB controller, but the graphics card bit just didn't pan out. The sticking point and the thing that this entire plan hinges on is graphics card support.

Motherboard: ASRock is pretty decent, but do note that USB passthrough and SATA passthrough will at best be buggy if functional at all. ASUS might be good; ASRock used to be owned by ASUS I think, but I'm not sure what characteristics they share. As for the chipset, The Z77/H77 series and above should work well. If I had to do it over again, I might try ASUS, or do my research and try something other than ASRock. Don't get me wrong; ASRock is good, but the USB controller issue (described below) specifically got in my way.
CPU: I advise a Core i7. Not the K model; it disables VT-d. This is a dealbreaker.
HDD: Disk access usually isn't a killer so I suggest *not* trying to give raw hard disk access. I haven't had a good experience passing through onboard SATA, and decent cards won't be cheap. Plus, if you use indirect access you get the nifty snapshotting stuff that VM software usually gives you. Get a SSD for your gaming install, though.
USB: I highly advise a PCI-Express USB controller; while many motherboards use the same bus for onboard electronics, there's a moderate to high risk of this not working. And if you buy cheap poo poo you'll be sorry. Just go for something which is known good, or perhaps hold off on this until you've got the display stuff working, and if USB controller passthrough doesn't work like you expect, then buy a controller.
GPU: I have had no luck with nVidia cards, and have not tested ATI. You'll need to do some research. This is absolutely pivotal, as if it doesn't work then you're poo poo out of luck, and the cost of a graphics card. The article Thermopyle linked suggests a "XFX R7970 Radeon H7970 Black Edition" video card.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 3, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So I've just set up a virtual debian server for stuff like Dokuwiki and GroupOffice. Everything runs great, but I'm interested in installing other productivity-related apps.

E.g. an AJAX-powered mindmapping tool would be cool, for starters. Or some Google Docs look-a-like. Anyone know a good application that I'm missing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Will the Haswell on-board graphics work out of the box, with the Intel HD4000 drivers, or will new drivers need to be released?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Bob Morales posted:

Will the Haswell on-board graphics work out of the box, with the Intel HD4000 drivers, or will new drivers need to be released?

They're merged into the kernel, but I'm not sure how well it works in 3.9, might need to wait for 3.10 for them to work properly (and maybe later for performance to get where it should).

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I can't get cups to work on one machine. The configuration compared to another machine are basically identical but while one will be fine with lpr/printing anything, the other one freaks out at any possible printing

lpr /etc/hosts
lpr: Unsupported format 'text/plain'!

Same for application/postscript of course.

I've compared /etc/cups and again they're basically identical. There's no *.types or *.convs files in either directory.

Are there other cups config directories I am missing?

edit: blowing away all the config files and recreating them with the UI fixed it but that is lovely that it happened in the first place. This is the ONLY rebuilt station to have the problem and of course its the whiniest client.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 3, 2013

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Speaking of that, what's the purpose of /etc/cups/printers.conf.O ?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Can anyone give me a clue as to why I can't increase the vmalloc space? Anything I pass (as vmalloc=x) to the command line on boot seems to be just silently ignored. Is there some option I need to change in my kernel config? It's kinda frustrating having no idea what's going wrong.

~ # cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=262404 vmalloc=512M

~ # cat /proc/meminfo | grep Total
MemTotal: 1035984 kB
HighTotal: 262144 kB
LowTotal: 773840 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
VmallocTotal: 239608 kB

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Can anyone give me a clue as to why I can't increase the vmalloc space? Anything I pass (as vmalloc=x) to the command line on boot seems to be just silently ignored. Is there some option I need to change in my kernel config? It's kinda frustrating having no idea what's going wrong.

Did you try going up in smaller chunks first?
Does the kernel support large memory?
and what linux is it anyway?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

MOAR posted:

Did you try going up in smaller chunks first?
Does the kernel support large memory?
and what linux is it anyway?

Even lowering it to 192M has no effect. It's 3.8.5 cross compiled for 32bit powerpc, basically just running busybox. I'm not sure what large memory support would mean. The device only has one or sometimes two GB of memory.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Searching through my local linux source (3.6.11.4) suggests powerpc doesn't support a vmalloc command line parameter.

The only files matching param("vmalloc" are:
code:
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c
arch/s390/kernel/setup.c
arch/tile/kernel/setup.c
arch/unicore32/mm/mmu.c
arch/x86/mm/pgtable_32.c

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

robostac posted:

Searching through my local linux source (3.6.11.4) suggests powerpc doesn't support a vmalloc command line parameter.

The only files matching param("vmalloc" are:
code:
arch/arm/mm/mmu.c
arch/s390/kernel/setup.c
arch/tile/kernel/setup.c
arch/unicore32/mm/mmu.c
arch/x86/mm/pgtable_32.c

Yeah, I think I might have found another solution changing the config in 'advanced options' to reduce the size of lowmem so the kernel gets a bit more. Compiling it now.

edit: it worked! I am the master of obscure poo poo!

edit2: works in emulator but refuses to boot on the actual hardware =[

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 4, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hackedaccount posted:

Speaking of that, what's the purpose of /etc/cups/printers.conf.O ?

Copy of the original iirc

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Helpful hint for Debian users: if you have a bug in xfce4-session that results in a segfault and loss of X session, do make sure you restart X after you rollback libglib2.0-0, or you may be surprised :D (The update is late coming into testing, so be wary of updating anything gnome-related for a while).

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I am rather new to using iptables to other than just using filters and I have a short question about masquerading that I have not been able to find an answer for in the man pages.

If I have masquerading set up on an outgoing interface that I also want to use for static port forwarding to an internal IP, do I run the risk (however unlikely), that the masquerading uses the port I set to be forwarded causes a conflict between two traffic flows?

If that does not make sense, I currently have it set up like this:

code:
# iptables -t nat -L PREROUTING -nv && iptables -t nat -L POSTROUTING -nv
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 15807 packets, 1863K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    1    60 DNAT       tcp  --  eth1   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443 to:192.168.1.3:22

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 1 packets, 60 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 1043 70467 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      eth1    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
Is this correctly set up, or should I do this another way?

All the examples and tutorials I have read all just refer to one or the other function never both together so not sure how the two interact.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I hope this is the right thread for this, so here goes:

Is there a way to configure putty/kitty to have the prompt appear at the bottom of the window and remain in the same place rather than scrolling down the window as you use it? Googling has turned up nothing, and it's really kind of a minor bitch but I'd like to be able to do it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

If I have masquerading set up on an outgoing interface that I also want to use for static port forwarding to an internal IP, do I run the risk (however unlikely), that the masquerading uses the port I set to be forwarded causes a conflict between two traffic flows?
Is your question whether or not outgoing connections on 443 will cause a conflict? If so, the answer is no, and you should read TCP/IP Clearly Explained, as the topic is somewhat too involved for this thread. Clients pick pseudo-random high ports to instantiate a connection on, and most (non-stateless) servers have a way to renegotiate the port used for communication, which is passed to a forked daemon so the regular server can continue to listen. See also this diagram, shamelessly stolen from Cisco:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this, so here goes:

Is there a way to configure putty/kitty to have the prompt appear at the bottom of the window and remain in the same place rather than scrolling down the window as you use it? Googling has turned up nothing, and it's really kind of a minor bitch but I'd like to be able to do it.

What is the possible use case for this? I'm not aware of a setting which will do this, because it's controlled by the tty driver, which PuTTY and KiTTY (hence the names) emulate. If you really need to do this, and I have no idea why you would, add this to .bashrc (or whatever your .profile is):

for i in $(seq 1 $((`stty size | awk '{print $1}'` - 1))); do echo ; done

It gets the terminal height, subtracts one, and spits out blank lines. You could just as easily do this without asking the tty at all, and just echoing 100 times (or whatever). If you have a shared login and you can't add things to .profile, shame on you, and you should stop.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

evol262 posted:

What is the possible use case for this? I'm not aware of a setting which will do this, because it's controlled by the tty driver, which PuTTY and KiTTY (hence the names) emulate. If you really need to do this, and I have no idea why you would, add this to .bashrc (or whatever your .profile is):

for i in $(seq 1 $((`stty size | awk '{print $1}'` - 1))); do echo ; done

It gets the terminal height, subtracts one, and spits out blank lines. You could just as easily do this without asking the tty at all, and just echoing 100 times (or whatever). If you have a shared login and you can't add things to .profile, shame on you, and you should stop.

There's no practical "use" for it. It's really just a preference thing. I want the prompt where I type things to be at the bottom with the output and stuff remaining as it is (think like an IM chat window). it's really just an aesthetic thing :(

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That really does seem to be the standard behaviour for all of the terminals I use. The only way would be to pad the start of the session to put the command line at the bottom than start working. I guess it is something no one else thinks is an issue, but it is easy to get what you want by playing around with the login script/.bashrc/whatever.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Whether or not anyone thinks it's an issue is one thing. TTYs are surprisingly complex, and there's a lot of accumulated cruft. The interaction between terminal emulator and TTYs isn't always intuitive, etc. It's a hard subject, and it's easier to just deal with it as a text stream. I'm not even aware of a native terminal emulator with this behavior. I'm sure the PuTTY guys would welcome patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

evol262 posted:

Is your question whether or not outgoing connections on 443 will cause a conflict? If so, the answer is no, and you should read TCP/IP Clearly Explained, as the topic is somewhat too involved for this thread. Clients pick pseudo-random high ports to instantiate a connection on, and most (non-stateless) servers have a way to renegotiate the port used for communication, which is passed to a forked daemon so the regular server can continue to listen.

Thanks for the response, that was my question yeah.
I have a fairly solid background with network theory, I have just never dealt with how it was implemented on Linux in detail. The book looks good though :)