Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
Just got Vicky 2 and Civil War from the GMG sale. I was about to get the newest expansion, but I discovered I can't get the base game to launch. I haven't been able to find a fix, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

The game launches into the Paradox loading background, but it's extremely dark, and after a minute or so the game tabs itself out and won't reopen. The mouse icon remains a loading stopwatch and I never get an error or anything, it just stays that way till I manually close the program. I'm able to run CK2 on this computer (Windows 7) easily, but EU3 doesn't work on it (gives a map initialization error I've never found a fix for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I went and preordered EUIV extreme edition or whatever it's called. Normally I don't preorder games much but, hell, I get a bunch of free DLCs (including the possible CK2-EU4 converter that's been hinted at) and I got 10% off for already owning a Europa Universalis title. The game itself looks like it's been worked on heavily and it's going to be more-or-less fun at launch so V:shobon:V

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I only played CK1 a little bit and I've never played CK2, so I'm a little CK-ignorant, but I'm very curious about how a CK2-EU4-Vic3 succession game would play out w/r/t cores and CBs and revanchism. Are there cores in CK2? Is there some kind of EU3-esque system of core creation?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I preordered from the Paradox Web Store then looked at Steam and saw the discount. :/

Oh well, call it a tip, p-dox.

I'd probably go for a Victoria II to Darkest Hour converter though that would never happen. I feel like Victoria II has a much more lively historical narrative to it that could end in the Darkest Hour mega war finale. But bringing it all the way from EU or CK would really add to it because then all the countries would have like hundreds of years of history behind them. It's very rare I even finish a full game of CK or EU though. One of these days though I would like to get a full game going and chronicle it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chief Savage Man posted:

I preordered from the Paradox Web Store then looked at Steam and saw the discount. :/

I'd probably go for a Victoria II to Darkest Hour converter though that would never happen. I feel like Victoria II has a much more lively historical narrative to it that could end in the Darkest Hour mega war finale. But bringing it all the way from EU or CK would really add to it because then all the countries would have like hundreds of years of history behind them. It's very rare I even finish a full game of CK or EU though. One of these days though I would like to get a full game going and chronicle it.

I love reading stuff like Wiz's mega-campaigns, but I absolutely don't have the patience to make something like that myself, not only with playing multiple Paradox games all the way to the end, but also making events and decisions and such to fit the new world. I do love how Vicky 2 supports such a strong narrative, but it'd be a huge challenge to make a converter that can randomly generate stories like that. Without all the unique events and decisions that each country has, Vicky 2 is a rather bare game.

On another note, is AI China supposed to westernize and become an unstoppable juggernaut every time in NNM, or am I just unlucky? I've played 4 games of NNM in HoD and each time, China westernizes in the 1870s, ascends briefly to great power status, descends into the warlord era, and then, rather than staying split up, one faction or another conquers all the others within 3 years and stays at top the rest of the game.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chief Savage Man posted:

I bought from the Paradox web store and was only sent a receipt. I assume the Steam key will be sent on release?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I think the crises and Great War mechanics have really added to the year to year narrative of Victoria II. Like any good Paradox game narrative, it would require some creativity and imagination on the part of the player. I did have a really fun EU3 Miscmods AAR before I bought a new computer and lost the save game. The main narrative though that I find really interesting is the one of ideas. Instead of CK which is all about feudalism and religion, and EU which is about imperialism and religion, Victoria really features the titanic forces of history that came to a destructive head in World War II. Stuff like the advent of communism and fascism, total war and industrialization. Just that alone makes for some really interesting gameplay.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 7, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

V for Vegas posted:

I bought from the Paradox web store and was only sent a receipt. I assume the Steam key will be sent on release?

There's usually a release of keys to other retailers before the release itself, maybe like a week or so before. Depends on each game but either on release or a few days before it, probably.

I have a westernized GP China and they didn't even collapse. They're my Russia-smashing buddies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I feel like the Cold War era and beyond would fit a CKII game than a HOI game. It's all about popularity, not war. If you weren't popular you couldn't get poo poo done (Carter, for example). If you were popular you could get away with anything (Reagan for another example). Add in propaganda events and have a cabinet of advisers and...

...god damnit I need to stop thinking about this. :negative:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

JGBeagle posted:

I feel like the Cold War era and beyond would fit a CKII game than a HOI game. It's all about popularity, not war. If you weren't popular you couldn't get poo poo done (Carter, for example). If you were popular you could get away with anything (Reagan for another example). Add in propaganda events and have a cabinet of advisers and...

After Clinton dies, Bush inherits America, but Gore contests the results and begins a succession crisis. In the ensuing chaos, restive minor governors see their chance and launch the Texan Independence League Revolution against Bush. Mexico invades Arizona; Canada conquers Michigan. Detroit converts to the Lollard heresy.

(I'm not sure that CK2 is a very reasonable model for modern politics.)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PleasingFungus posted:

After Clinton dies, Bush inherits America, but Gore contests the results and begins a succession crisis. In the ensuing chaos, restive minor governors see their chance and launch the Texan Independence League Revolution against Bush. Mexico invades Arizona; Canada conquers Michigan. Detroit converts to the Lollard heresy.

Sounds like a good campaign to convert to after you lose a game of east vs west.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I went to Norman Tebbit's chamber and gave him a good tumble! It's good to be the PM.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Well yeah it would require a lot of work, maybe more Vicky 2 with Crusader King's character system. Just not HoI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Penguingo posted:

I'm trying to civilise China in Victoria: Revolutions playing the VIP mod

Just play Victoria Revolutions unmodded, or maybe with Wiz's Hohenzollern mod. VIP is terrible because it has a poo poo-ton of deterministic events that lock you in to historical paths and punishes you if you have the gall to try and walk off the beaten path. Although I guess some people like that.

Pakled posted:

On another note, is AI China supposed to westernize and become an unstoppable juggernaut every time in NNM, or am I just unlucky? I've played 4 games of NNM in HoD and each time, China westernizes in the 1870s, ascends briefly to great power status, descends into the warlord era, and then, rather than staying split up, one faction or another conquers all the others within 3 years and stays at top the rest of the game.

NNM's treatment of the Taiping Rebellion creates the Heavenly Kingdom as a separate country to be conquered, so what ends up happening is that even if the China AI is too timid to try and conquer smaller nations for the RP gain, they get a nice big leg-up on Westernization from beating back the Boxers.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

NNM's treatment of the Taiping Rebellion creates the Heavenly Kingdom as a separate country to be conquered, so what ends up happening is that even if the China AI is too timid to try and conquer smaller nations for the RP gain, they get a nice big leg-up on Westernization from beating back the Boxers.

This isn't entirely right; if I read the changelog correctly, there's an event that fires after the Heavenly Kingdom is annexed which takes away research points form the Qing Empire to offset the massive influx they get from conquering the Taiping. Also isn't the Boxer Rebellion a separate thing?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Another Paradox themed Three Moves Ahead, this time about the business side with Fred Wester http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riso posted:

Another Paradox themed Three Moves Ahead, this time about the business side with Fred Wester http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

60 seconds in and I'm already hearing the 'this is the anti-matrix games podcast setup'.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just play Victoria Revolutions unmodded, or maybe with Wiz's Hohenzollern mod. VIP is terrible because it has a poo poo-ton of deterministic events that lock you in to historical paths and punishes you if you have the gall to try and walk off the beaten path. Although I guess some people like that.
Those historical beaten paths were actually what drove me into Paradox games - I played a LOT of AGCEEP for EU2, because I loved learning about what happened in this, or that country (there were lots of historical events). Of course after getting EU3 I prefered the sandbox more and I haven't even bought For The Glory :v:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

JGBeagle posted:

Individual leader's personality and popularity in the post WWII 20th century was probably the least influential as a force driving history as it has ever been, with the exception of maybe Mao, Reagan/Thatcher and Nasser. HoI is a bad model for the Cold War, but CK2 would be hilariously worse.

a bad enough dude fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 7, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
What's the cheapest way to preorder EU4 Extreme? That GMG code never worked for me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PleasingFungus posted:

You know, I was thinking of making a alternate-reality mod that starts somewhere around 1991. It'd use the Western Hemisphere map for CK2, and it'd have George H. W. Bush as Emperor of the USA, with his sons George W. and Jeb as the Kings of Texas and Florida beneath him. Basically, the idea is "What if Feudalism had gone on straight through till the modern times?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I shouldn't have preordered. Now I have "Europa Universalis IV" on my game list, greyed out and mocking me for the next 2.5 months :negative:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

March of the Eagles for $10 -- $8 with the GFDJUN20 code -- from Gamefly, is a Steam key.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrSunshine posted:

You know, I was thinking of making a alternate-reality mod that starts somewhere around 1991. It'd use the Western Hemisphere map for CK2, and it'd have George H. W. Bush as Emperor of the USA, with his sons George W. and Jeb as the Kings of Texas and Florida beneath him. Basically, the idea is "What if Feudalism had gone on straight through till the modern times?"

I want Feudal US in ck2 so bad. :(

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I want Feudal US in ck2 so bad. :(

I was just thinking that the merchant republic mechanics can almost perfectly represent mafia families with a few renames.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Agean90 posted:

I was just thinking that the merchant republic mechanics can almost perfectly represent mafia families with a few renames.

Why do you think there's five families?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This deserves some explanation for the people who have never played this gem of a mod.

To sum VIP up, it's best to invoke its colonization :airquote: mechanics :airquote: The vanilla one was pretty standard - it required the country to be a Great Power, have a country in its range and build four buildings. This usually created a patchwork of colonies that didn't even remotely resemble the historical outcome, and thus were bad. The VIP solution consisted of a bunch of events firing in predetermined time which would just give a part of Africa to the country that historically owned it. Some of them would at least spawn some rebels, but most of them would at worst take a laughable sum of money from you.

That was really it. If you played as France or Great Britain, the only thing you could screw up was accidentally clicking the wrong button. If you wanted colonies that your chosen nation didn't historically possess - tough luck. At best you could hope to take them in a war.

The rest of the mod was really similar - a huge railroad which you could leave only at your own risk.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

The rest of the mod was really similar - a huge railroad which you could leave only at your own risk.

This may be my own failings, but it was also almost impossible to break even on your budget. There was a way to avoid the colonization mechanics, I think- wait for an uncivilized country to go bankrupt, which would tank its prestige, then go out and conquer or puppet it. The event chains were hosed, though. Here's an idea: Give historical options for the AI to keep things on track, and an opt-out button for the player. If I want to win the First Schleswig War as Prussia by building a navy and landing on the Jutland peninsula, the game should bloody well let me!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Just preordered EU4 Exxxtreme Edition on Steam and already made a desktop shortcut that doesn't do anything. That is how confident I am. Normally I'm wary of pre-release hype, but it's Paradox, and their flagship series no less. What could possibly go wrong?

↓↓Pffft.↓↓

Magissima fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 8, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Oh god, this battle was big enough to swing my warscore 62% against China.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So a friend and I have been playing as people in Scotland in Crusader Kings 2. A war was started against the King of Scotland and my friends character was taken as a prisoner during one of the battles. Is there anyway to get his character out of prison or is he stuck until he dies? I figured we could just go to war to liberate him but it says we don't have a valid claim to declare war.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Gordong Dongbay posted:

So a friend and I have been playing as people in Scotland in Crusader Kings 2. A war was started against the King of Scotland and my friends character was taken as a prisoner during one of the battles. Is there anyway to get his character out of prison or is he stuck until he dies? I figured we could just go to war to liberate him but it says we don't have a valid claim to declare war.

He should be able to get out if he can pay his ransom. I think it's 70 for a count, 145 for a duke, 250ish for a King? I can't recall if the option to pay for your own release is on the intrigue screen or a diplomatic option with your captor, but it's definitely there somewhere.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is there a way to peacefully puppet (vassalize) and subsequently integrate (diploannex) a country in Victoria 2 HOD? I'm finding it really hard to paint the world my color instead of just sphereing, and Germany is really big vs my Belgium :(

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Does anybody know when the deal on eu4 if you already own an eu3 game ends?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Trujillo posted:

Does anybody know when the deal on eu4 if you already own an eu3 game ends?

I think it lasts until EU4 comes out, so until August. I recall Metro: Last Light had a similar thing going on and my Metro 2033 discount lasted until LL's release, so I assume this sort of thing happens no matter the devs and whatnot. I could be wrong, though.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Mandalay posted:

Is there a way to peacefully puppet (vassalize) and subsequently integrate (diploannex) a country in Victoria 2 HOD? I'm finding it really hard to paint the world my color instead of just sphereing, and Germany is really big vs my Belgium :(

Not unless you're a cultural union and you sphere a same-culture state. So definitely not for Belgium at least.

edit: And also uncivs. I'm not sure of the specifics, but you can get an event to annex sphered uncivs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Puella Magissima posted:

Not unless you're a cultural union and you sphere a same-culture state. So definitely not for Belgium at least.

edit: And also uncivs. I'm not sure of the specifics, but you can get an event to annex sphered uncivs.

Oh, so that's how Germany annexes Austria after I spend 50 years dicking them over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mandalay posted:

You could try modding in your own cultural union decision to form BeNeLux. Give it a shot, it's easy and fun!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah, breaking up Austria-Hungary will probably let Germany nab Austria.

You won't annex unicivs through events unless you're Britain. Those are only for the Indian minors too.

With uncivs you are better off conquering them. Any unciv with like 3 states can be annexed in a single go I think. So that's a max of 10 infamy to put your name on the map! Try going for Southeast Asia, the AI usually doesn't go for it until 1880.

If you really want to annex somebody, you need to write a decision into the game. Can't do it otherwise.

Fister Roboto posted:

You could try modding in your own cultural union decision to form BeNeLux. Give it a shot, it's easy and fun!

Hahaha, this would be pretty hilarious. Careful though, Germany can annex Luxembourg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I hope you get all those pre-order bonuses if you order from GMG cause I just got me a copy of EUIV (in August).

• Locked thread