Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Edit: Also the dude who starts in sjaeeland is a pretty good pick as well.

Also, ”snake in the eye” has got to be one of the better Viking nom d'guerres out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As a newbie myself, I feel like starting on an island is a bit boring. Starting in amongst the duchies of France or the HRE (or even the counts, as long as you can score a duchy early) seems more interesting and gives you more things to do as a newbie, without having to deal with coasts and the complications that come with them.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

sullat posted:

Also, ”snake in the eye” has got to be one of the better Viking nom d'guerres out there.

All 4 of the sons of Lodbrok are awesome starts, with awesome names. Ivar the Boneless, Hafdan Whiteshirt, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, Bjorn Ironside.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

bewilderment posted:

As a newbie myself, I feel like starting on an island is a bit boring. Starting in amongst the duchies of France or the HRE (or even the counts, as long as you can score a duchy early) seems more interesting and gives you more things to do as a newbie, without having to deal with coasts and the complications that come with them.

Another part of one's New to CK2 experience should be restarting as another ruler, when things get too hectic or untenable. I think Ireland is a good first step (or it used to be, maybe. I haven't played there recently). Even when I'm engrossed in my dynasty and a patch stops me from playing (if it's a CK2+ game) or I lose the save or something, restarting and adapting to another noble's interesting scenario always has so much appeal that I don't lament what was lost.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Svealand is a particularly good Norse-newbie start since you start with Uppsala. All you have to do is invade Sjaelland and take that holy site in Norway to reform the Norse faith, both of which are dead easy. An Ostlandet start requires multiple wars with Svealand or a lucky strike on Zeeland when Lotharingia has revolters, which you don't have much control over.

Really Ostlandet and Sjaelland both have their pros and cons, though I found it much easier to reform the faith with Sjaelland (~15 years) than Ostlandet (~30).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Are decandency wars broken in 1.10? I don't see them happening at all anymore.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I like Duke of Munster. You get one vassal Earl and one de jure claim right at the start, it's a good way to learn both vassals and claims. And then bam, 3-county duchy! It's a good starter.

Yeah, reading the LP and kind of following his lead is a really good way to figure out the game. Now I'm working on Barcelona. It's 1077 and I'm King of Aragon, I've got a universally high approval rating with my vassals (This tends to happen when you press their claims and rip land away from the Muslims). I'm just waiting for something terrible to happen. I guess my heir kinda sucks and I wish I could play as his brother. My wife was trying to murder him but then died herself.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gorelab posted:

Are decandency wars broken in 1.10? I don't see them happening at all anymore.

The beta patch purports to fix it but yes, they are broken in 1.10.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

My god, I love this game.

I looked at the levy numbers - even after a civil war, England could field 2-3 times as many as I could.

Over the last ten years or so, Ive been marrying my family into prospective courtiers. A lot of them haven't panned out, but I did marry into the Duchy of Lorien a while back. Looking around a bit more, I found that one of my courtiers had claims on 5 duchies. She was married to my blood and had an heir of mine. Funnily enough, some of the duchies had her as their heir. Two assassinations later, I've brought Northumberland, York and Lancaster into the family. So much faster then declaring war :D

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

No wonder the Ummayads always end up so insane. Oh well. I suppose I'll wait until bothering with playing in places with giant rear end Islamic empires.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If I have a de jure claim on a county, and I take it during a war about a de jure claim on another county do I get it if I win the war?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

If like you and the other guy are both fighting for the same de jure claim? If you win you get the county but you have to fight the other claimant off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Iceland. You're too poor, small, and out of the way for anyone to gently caress with you besides your other Icelandic neighbor. Start in 1066 as Duke Isleifur with a loyal vassal, or Count Sigfus and try to overthrow Isleifur before he becomes a vassal of Norway. The 867 Icelandic start is a lot harder because you are small and insignificant, so one of the Norwegian petty kings will often go after you precisely because of that so they can form the Kingdom of Norway; you basically have to pray that they ignore you or bribe the big men.

Iceland was my first try as a newbie at CK2, and while it was a bit dull since nothing really happened, it was because nothing really happened much that things were slow enough for me to gradually get a grasp on the mechanics. Ireland struck me as having too much action with all the independent Earls, I wanted someplace small and out of the way.

I'm so glad I shook off this mentality. I started as Iceland in 867, and instead of reloading and crying when the King of Ostlandet declared on me as I normally would, I actually tried to fight him and let him subjugate me. 80 or so years later, he's gone and I'm the King of Norway and my Wife is the Queen of mondo buff Denmark.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Gorelab posted:

If like you and the other guy are both fighting for the same de jure claim? If you win you get the county but you have to fight the other claimant off.

No, I have claims on multiple countys from the same dude. Can I take them all in one war?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Pagans don't gently caress around. The biggest powers in the Old Gods start usually turn out to be Vikings (Mostly Denmark) and some steppe tribe like the Magyars. I'm surprised Christians can survive at all to be honest.

Anyway, here's my Pomeranian kingdom in 932. Guess who's who in these exciting times:

All the red is Denmark, of course. I'd have to punch my way through them in order to reach Novgorod and even then, Slavic is only at 20% Authority. :smithicide:

Then again I might just go Christian an start a Great Crusade For The North.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 7, 2013

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In my experience the pagans get about 100 - 120 years of curb stomping Europe, then the fort levels, gravelkin limits, and crown authority limits really start pushing their poo poo in. If you can reform your religions you can survive in your own kingdom, but the non-reformed pagans have always gotten wiped out or converted and assimilated into the native culture by 1066. My last game had the Norse ruling most of Northern Europe and the British Isles in 966, and yet by January 1067 they had lost group to their 867 borders. By 1100 only Sweden remained as a norse holdout and even they converted after a few more years.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So, I have kinsman on multiple duchies in England and Scotland. How can I make them raise troops for me?

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
I managed to set up a dynasty member as the Emperor of Scandinavia, while keeping the Empire of Britannia. The rest of Europe shall tremble! Especially with Great Holy Wars enabling in 50 years or so. :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

So, I have kinsman on multiple duchies in England and Scotland. How can I make them raise troops for me?

That's not how it works.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Knuc If U Buck posted:

That's not how it works.

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. I thought if a duchy inherits to my family, it turns green. It has not. I've killed half the court of England, I'm unsure what to do next.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Annath posted:

More of the "Is anyone else doing this and if not, how might I learn?"

The best way to learn how modding works is to read all the files in Crusader Kings II/events and /common and /localisaiton to get a feel for the syntax and rules. Paradox games tend to make nearly everything an editable text file, so modding's easy enough to learn, especially if you've coded before.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Okay so I've finally reached 1100 as the Fylkir and it turns out that Great Holy Wars completely own because they're for entire kingdoms but since there's no independent Norse realms nobody else shows up and I basically just get to take an entire kingdom for myself after a single war.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dauntasa posted:

Okay so I've finally reached 1100 as the Fylkir and it turns out that Great Holy Wars completely own because they're for entire kingdoms but since there's no independent Norse realms nobody else shows up and I basically just get to take an entire kingdom for myself after a single war.
You mean you're not setting up independent Norse kingdoms headed by your relatives?

A shameful Fylkir.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

If an army has no general, what effect does that have on their combat performance? I was just playing a game as Iceland, and I was trying to pick a general to lead the right flank of my tiny army, but the only guy available was a coward with just one martial point. The coward trait gave that flank a -20% penalty to morale defense, with the one martial point bumping it up to -19%.

If you have no general, the game doesn't seem to say if you have a penalty or not. So is it actually a better idea to have no general at all than to have a cowardly moron for a general?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. I thought if a duchy inherits to my family, it turns green. It has not. I've killed half the court of England, I'm unsure what to do next.

Even if your dynastic heir came into inheriting a kingdom through your wife, his mother, you wouldn't get control over it until you died and took control of your heir. You need to be getting you direct heir married to female rulers or heirs, and then start killing your way through families, not just kinsmen. Family ties don't overide independance or fealty.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wezlar posted:

No, I have claims on multiple countys from the same dude. Can I take them all in one war?
Nope! And you get a 10 year truce enforced after each de jure claim war, and you lose half your prestige if you break it! Because gently caress you!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CapnAndy posted:

Nope! And you get a 10 year truce enforced after each de jure claim war, and you lose half your prestige if you break it! Because gently caress you!
One thing I wish is that you could at least claim multiple baronies in a single county at once. Because there's always that one weirdo county that somehow manages to have your vassal controlling the capital, but every single barony beneath it under another (always large) realm. So you'd need to go to war three or four times for a one barony apiece, and it's just ugh.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really don't understand why you can't just press multiple de jure claims. Put up more prestige if I lose, fine, but that poo poo is mine by right and I don't get this take one, wait 10 years, take another thing. It reeks of an artificial brake put in to keep you from conquering the world way too quickly, but for fucksakes it's de jure claims! You don't get those without hard work, either by having a legit right to them or sending your chancellor out again and again and again. It's not like you can press a claim on the whole world at once.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

CapnAndy posted:

or sending your chancellor out again and again and again

Those are personal claims, not de jure claims. And you can press multiples of those in a single war, provided they're your own claims rather than those of vassals/courtiers.

As for truces, it helps to remember that they're between characters, not titles or nations. (:ese:)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Walliard posted:

Those are personal claims, not de jure claims. And you can press multiples of those in a single war, provided they're your own claims rather than those of vassals/courtiers.
I have never seen a "press all de jure claims" button :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Schizotek posted:

All 4 of the sons of Lodbrok are awesome starts, with awesome names. Ivar the Boneless, Hafdan Whiteshirt, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, Bjorn Ironside.
Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye is my favorite Viking start. Lots of room to expand in all directions.

Someone should mod the sons of Lodbrok into being the same big ol' dynasty. You know, considering they basically are.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

While looking to start a new game I found this fella:

Lavrohhas of House Lowborn. The game helpfully lets us know we can't play Lowborns in the next screenshot:

Once you enter the game it turns out he is actually House Magga, but his priestess wife is of House Lowborn, which has a dynasty shield but nothing happens when you click it. Also, because there are apparently only two characters in the Sapmi court at the start of the game, you get the rare scenario in which my heir is my liege and my liege's heir is me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
An experiment: how possible is it to beat the Magyars as Old Great Bulgaria in the Old Gods start?

Very possible!

(At the very start of the game, you can marry off your children to get alliances with West Francia & Aquitaine. Raise your levies & flee to Moravia until the French come to help; then trick the Magyars into attacking across a major river and/or into mountains. It should be pretty easy once you win the first battle.)

Reveilled posted:

Is the give_title debug command broken for everyone else?

Worked for me when I was using it to test out my Finno-Rus empire. What problems did you have with it?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Walliard posted:

As for truces, it helps to remember that they're between characters, not titles or nations. (:ese:)

I've been playing a Byz game and I've never seen an option for going to war over all my je dure claims. I've had to chip away at the Crusader Kingdom of Anatolia county by county. Luckily, once I'm done with Anatolia and have a truce going, I can just go have a holy war or grab some more land in Italy or whatever.

And that's helpful to know about decadence wars, and explains why the Almoravids have been a constant pain in the rear end for the last 100 years. They were rolling in 100% decadence for ages but only had a significant rebellion very recently after losing Aragon in a crusade and their decadence was below 20% at that stage.

Edit: My vassal King of Croatia just successfully prosecuted his claim on the Kingdom of Sweden. Vassal kings own :getin:

Best of all he was my weakest vassal king out of Sicily, Hungary and Croatia, so I now have a proper counter-balance because the Kings of Hungary have tended to be very independence-minded assholes.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 7, 2013

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Sorry, I meant you can press all personal claims in a war, not all de jure claims.

You can also grab an entire duchy in your de jure kingdom/empire by pressing someone's claim.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I have never seen a "press all de jure claims" button :(

That's because it only works for strong claims, not De Jure claims. This doesn;t matter thoguh because once you learn how to play effectively, De Jure claims are rarely even touched aside from once in a blue moon to pretty up your borders. You can fabricate multiple claims and press them all at once, which is a good use of a court chancellor while you're waiting for that pesky cool down.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Okay, that makes more sense. None of my dukes or kings have ducal claims like that, and with kings and dukes under kings I can't really even arrange their marriages for them to accomplish that. Trying to marry some Anatolian doux or his claimant into the family and going to town with stabbing might be in order.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried to beat back the Vikings as Wessex? I looked at them tonight and it seems like they are in pretty dire straights (and paradox decidedly to give the starting petty king 8 territories when he can only control 2 - very annoying). I imagine the theory must be to swear to a Karling king and then slowly push back the pagan tide, but that seems awfully gamey.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fabricating claims is crazy for me. I can have 3 trigger during a particularly heated war, and then none fire off while I'm at peace for a decade. The moment I declare war for a single claim because I'm tired of waiting on another claim so I can press multiple claims in one war, I get a new one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

sullat posted:

Not really one of those, more a kenning.

• Locked thread