Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sacramento and east of that. Upper Central Valley apparently. Ah nm, yep 4th round. Sigh.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So it seems the Sprint Airrave department is loving dumb as hell. Not only did they not put the order in for over 2 weeks, but when I complained to them about the airrave they promised me that never arrived, they said they'd send one right away. I then get a voicemail stating that they need me to confirm the order over the phone.

I have no loving reception, how the gently caress am I supposed to receive their call to confirm? They call once, leave a voicemail with no way to contact them back (because apparently only 1 single manager can do this, I can't go through a regular number). He says he'll call back later but that call never happens, either because he doesn't call again until the next day or because of my lack of reception, I miss it.

This is getting ridiculous. Why can't I confirm over email?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

FlyingCheese posted:

So it seems the Sprint Airrave department is loving dumb as hell. Not only did they not put the order in for over 2 weeks, but when I complained to them about the airrave they promised me that never arrived, they said they'd send one right away. I then get a voicemail stating that they need me to confirm the order over the phone.

I have no loving reception, how the gently caress am I supposed to receive their call to confirm? They call once, leave a voicemail with no way to contact them back (because apparently only 1 single manager can do this, I can't go through a regular number). He says he'll call back later but that call never happens, either because he doesn't call again until the next day or because of my lack of reception, I miss it.

Perhaps you should try online chat help.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FlyingCheese posted:

If it makes you feel better the last time I dealt with telesales the reception was abysmal and the op immediately asked if I could call him back on another line with a better connection. Buddy if I could do that, it wouldn't be Sprint anymore would it?

e: Oh and my second fav sprint fail; My first contract cycle the apartment I was in was a deadzone but outside of that radius was fine. When I called to try and get an air rave that CSR flat out told me I should just go outside everytime I needed service. Gee, thanks.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 6, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

bobula posted:

Perhaps you should try online chat help.
Who will then tell you they can't help and that you should call Airave Support :v:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Buy a headset and call them using the "call phones" feature in GMail?

Better yet, don't buy a headset and just use some lovely pc speakers and a $10 microphone so they get bombarded with feedback.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

thelightguy posted:

Buy a headset and call them using the "call phones" feature in GMail?

Better yet, don't buy a headset and just use some lovely pc speakers and a $10 microphone so they get bombarded with feedback.

I apparently can't call them. One single manager needs to call me. That's the biggest WTF about this whole thing.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
What smartphone has the best antenna right now with sprint? I have a galaxy nexus that's been fine though with only 2 bars most of the time unless I'm beside a tower. Now I've just moved to the Pittsburgh area and the signal has really gone to poo poo (the mountains don't help of course). The house has a airave and wifi so that's covered. It's when I'm out driving around and the phone struggles to pull up anything. I haven't found info much aside from motorola being the best antenna-wise (don't want a slidephone). What's your personal experience with signals on the newer smartphones?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The Airave is hilarious out of the box. Throttles your upload to 768kbps and lets any Sprint customer in range use your home internet for their phone.

Yeah you can fix that but :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The Airave is hilarious out of the box. Throttles your upload to 768kbps and lets any Sprint customer in range use your home internet for their phone.

Yeah you can fix that but :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wait, what? Throttles your upload? How exactly does it do that?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

FlyingCheese posted:

Sprint upload or your overall internet speeds? This would explain a lot...

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Really? Last time I ran a speedtest it seemed almost on par with my internet connection.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

QoS (quality of service). The airrave gives your home network 768kbps of upload and reserves the rest for the airrave. You have to go into the router settings on the airrave and change it but of course most people won't.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

QoS (quality of service). The airrave gives your home network 768kbps of upload and reserves the rest for the airrave. You have to go into the router settings on the airrave and change it but of course most people won't.

Oh I have the airrave plugged into my router instead of the other way around.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

You know how QoS works, right? It's not hard limiting your outgoing at 768kbps 24/7.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Well gently caress me sideways, i didnt know it did that. Yet another reason to find a carrier with coverage here...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

thelightguy posted:

You know how QoS works, right? It's not hard limiting your outgoing at 768kbps 24/7.

Tell that to the manufacturer of the Airave.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Even better the manual makes no reference to how to change this, it only says this:

quote:

Internet speeds configuration: Customers may notice a change in their internet upload speeds using the AIRAVE configured on their modem. Customers with a higher speed internet connection may need an adjustment on this default setting

Then it goes on to tell you to call AIRAVE support where I'm sure they will waste an hour of your life to make a simple configuration change. I had a consumer router from like 2005 that was at least smart enough to do a bandwidth test and auto configure the QoS settings instead of just throttling the poo poo out of internet connection by default.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Destoration posted:

What smartphone has the best antenna right now with sprint? I have a galaxy nexus that's been fine though with only 2 bars most of the time unless I'm beside a tower. Now I've just moved to the Pittsburgh area and the signal has really gone to poo poo (the mountains don't help of course). The house has a airave and wifi so that's covered. It's when I'm out driving around and the phone struggles to pull up anything. I haven't found info much aside from motorola being the best antenna-wise (don't want a slidephone). What's your personal experience with signals on the newer smartphones?
The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has been praised for its great reception. Whatever you end up buying, though, you should keep in mind that you'll want to flip it in ~6 months for a phone that supports all of the new frequencies though (upgraded SGS4, HTC One, etc. being released).

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

td4guy posted:

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has been praised for its great reception. Whatever you end up buying, though, you should keep in mind that you'll want to flip it in ~6 months for a phone that supports all of the new frequencies though (upgraded SGS4, HTC One, etc. being released).

The note is a little big for my tastes but thanks for the tip about the other phones. I was planning on buying something used anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Even better the manual makes no reference to how to change this, it only says this:

Then it goes on to tell you to call AIRAVE support where I'm sure they will waste an hour of your life to make a simple configuration change. I had a consumer router from like 2005 that was at least smart enough to do a bandwidth test and auto configure the QoS settings instead of just throttling the poo poo out of internet connection by default.

Whelp, I guess I better stop telling comcast to come out and fix my internet. This was driving me nuts for months, thank you for finding a solution everyone.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Destoration posted:

If I remember correctly, Google Nexus devices do not display signal bars as optimistically as carrier- and manufacturer-modified Android OS versions do. Bars represent signal quality according to the metric the OS maker chooses, as opposed to signal strength which is measured in decibels per milliwatt. A Nexus and a Samsung Galaxy device might display more or less bars with the same signal strength. My Nexus S 4G usually displayed 1 or 2 bars in my house where my iPhone displays 3-5 bars. I never had voice connection or quality issues despite only having 1 bar.

What's your actual signal strength in areas with few bars? If I remember correctly, -90 to -100 dBm is sufficient.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Double post, but this is a different, more important issue. My June 6 bill says that Sprint is making changes to their Terms and Conditions effective July 1. Anyone know what those changes are?

Any changes that could be considered materially adverse should allow you to leave Sprint without being required to pay the early termination fee. In order to do so, you'll need to identify the changes and how they affect you, and then state your case to the termination/retention department. They may offer you a credit to compensate you or offset any new charges. Request that they allow you to cancel without ETF and make notes to the account as such. Let them know you intend to port out your number to complete the account termination.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

goku chewbacca posted:

Double post, but this is a different, more important issue. My June 6 bill says that Sprint is making changes to their Terms and Conditions effective July 1. Anyone know what those changes are?

TVs Ian posted:

We just had to put out slips with our brochures saying that people with WiMax devices might get it. It basically says they're switching to LTE and you can keep what you have, get a free LTE device, or cancel with no ETF.

I'm guessing if you already have an LTE device or a 3G-only one you're out of luck, but if you're on WiMax you may soon have an out.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
If it's them raising the USF charge, that will unfortunately not allow you to get out of your contract, because it's classified as a "below the line" charge and thus is not materially adverse.

If it has to do with their saying the Softbank deal should close by 7/1, and changes resulting that then you might be able to.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Right now with the airrave off my signal is at -105 (flickers to -90 sometimes). Voice has usually worked but data has always been spotty at best when I have 1 bar. Now that I look at it my wifi keeps jumping from one to four bars back and forth >.> I'm in the same room with the drat router.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ryen Deckard posted:

I'm looking to finally upgrade my galaxy nexus, and my only real concern is the development community. Which is more active currently, the HTC One or the S4? Also I'm hoping to stick with Paranoid Android if possible.

Both already have official CM10.1 nightlies. :sun:

S4 if you want expandable storage and a removable battery. There are also nice extended batteries for the S4.

HTC One if you want a phone that's pretty, I suppose.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

nmfree posted:

Or just look for it yourself on the table-breakingly huge map here.

Thanks for the map. I had no idea that Baton Rouge was considered part of the New Orleans market and not general Louisiana market until now. This is a little promising.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Wait, wait, wait. I was supposed to go modem->airave->router?

I just hooked the airave to one of the out ports on the router and strung a 50 foot ethernet cord around a corner and to the nearest window. Haven't had any issues, just really surprised at the fact I somehow did it entirely incorrectly. Plus, my internet's capped at 768 up anyway.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Matlock posted:

Thats how they want you to do it. But don't.

Please don't.

The Airave is a really lovely router.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Matlock posted:

I just hooked the airave to one of the out ports on the router and strung a 50 foot ethernet cord around a corner and to the nearest window. Haven't had any issues, just really surprised at the fact I somehow did it entirely incorrectly. Plus, my internet's capped at 768 up anyway.

Yes, because the airwave doesn't want to compete with the other devices on your network.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Well gently caress, I thought you were complaining about it only guaranteeing a 768kbps share to non-voice traffic, not that it was too dumb to auto-range. :psyduck:

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I believe this http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/59464 is the guide I used when first setting up the airave. Originally I just plugged it into my router and it worked but had issues. Port forwarding and a static ip made it work better.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I got an HTC EVO 4G LTE about a year ago and they haven't had quite the support for ROMs and such that previous HTC phones had. Whoops. If anyone still has one, what ROMs are you using?

I used MeanROM/MeanBean for a while, but the developer jumped ship. Now I'm on [url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2110920]Kushdeck's Cyanogenmod 10.1[/ur], but I think he's spending his time on another phone.

Any recommendations for an actively-developed ROM? I'm mostly happy with CM10.1, but the camera still sucks compared with the Sense-based ones and my GPS is wonky :(

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just DMZ'd my airrave when I had one. I didn't have any issues, but my network did seem slow with the thing hooked up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iluvpr0n posted:

my GPS is wonky :(
How is the GPS wonky?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

iluvpr0n posted:

I got an HTC EVO 4G LTE about a year ago and they haven't had quite the support for ROMs and such that previous HTC phones had. Whoops. If anyone still has one, what ROMs are you using?

I used MeanROM/MeanBean for a while, but the developer jumped ship. Now I'm on [url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2110920]Kushdeck's Cyanogenmod 10.1[/ur], but I think he's spending his time on another phone.

Any recommendations for an actively-developed ROM? I'm mostly happy with CM10.1, but the camera still sucks compared with the Sense-based ones and my GPS is wonky :(

I messed with Mean, Viper, CM10/.1, MIUI, all of them have their + and -'s but overall the phone just doesn't come into it's own. I believe the downfall is the Jellybean's need for >1G of memory and why my friends S3 smokes my LTE because he has over 800M free at all times usually where mine struggles with around 100M. MAP's have never worked right with the phone and neither has using Chrome and TuneIn radio at the same time. (TuneIn always gets shut down due to Chromes memory need).

As far as good roms go though, Viper's was the most feature filled while having the most work most of the time. CM roms always left something broken or not quite finished from what I experienced.

I am back on my HTC Arrive and couldn't be happier. The camera and some games/apps (like Torque) are really the only thing I miss atm.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Matlock posted:

Yeah I plan on switching to modem > router > airave because as someone said it's a lovely router. I can't even get it to make exceptions to its firewall.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Yeah I plan on switching to modem > router > airave because as someone said it's a lovely router. I can't even get it to make exceptions to its firewall.

Yeah, poo poo like that is exactly why I laughed when I saw their recommendation to hook it up directly to my modem. I just forwarded some ports and I was good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
That's what I did; I went modem > router > AirRave, and just made it DMZ.