Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When it was first released, people were going system settings -> Apps and clicking Uninstall Updates from Hangouts to get Talk back. I don't know if it still works.

This worked for me. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Note: I think this might remove all the updates talk has ever downloaded since you first got your phone/installed your ROM.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Note: I think this might remove all the updates talk has ever downloaded since you first got your phone/installed your ROM.

It will. It'll revert it all the way back to stock factory version. There'll be no way to update it unless you want Hangouts again.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just purchased a G4 about 10 days ago so that shouldn't be so bad. I just really enjoy being able to be online/offline and using it like a chat program. The new Hangouts messaging is really no different from texting, and I hate it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dik-dik posted:

To my knowledge there's never been a Talk update pushed through the Play Store, so that's not really a issue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is something up with the Missed it! app? The latest reviews are pretty negative. I wanted to try it for my widgetlocker.

Also questions bout phantom music control, I'm using it with the stock google play app, if this app is sent to shuffle/repeat/whatever will using the next button on the control perform the same action?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 7, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All the file browsers suck.

I was using ESv3 up through the beta but when it got released on the Play Store there were a slew of problems that the beta simply didn't have. If you had storage size enabled in version 2 when you updated it added it (cut off) in the address bar, the text editor for some reason refused to work correctly with Swype, but most annoying was the fact that root access reset after every reboot. None of these issues were in the beta.

So I thought maybe it was time to sample other file browsers. I need root access, the ability to navigate SMB shares and cloud services, and a text editor. Unfortunately that eliminated the best one I found: inKa File Manager. The interface is pure Holo and it does root. It doesn't, however do SMB or cloud services and the worst thing was that it didn't have a text editor. I talked to the dev and he just looks at it as a hobby project and said that he probably wasn't going to do much more work on it. :(

I tried most people's favorite alternative to ES, Solid Explorer. At first I was pleased. I don't think it looks good at all but it seemed to work and it could do everything I wanted and the few things it did that I didn't like I could work around. Unfortunately the new update added something I really wanted while breaking something I use every day. I went to the support board for the app and the developer is kind of a dick. The problem was that on the new update the user's settings for setting the root r/w don't stick and before they did. In the testing thread for it before the update went live someone mentioned it but he didn't answer it. When I pointed it out he said that it should stick and that it did before he told me that it wasn't the app's fault. I looked through his other bug reports it seems like he's just that kind of developer who refuses to consider any idea he didn't come up with himself. I don't mind paying for the app (it's $2) but I just don't have faith it will get fixed or get better over the long term. I'm still in the 14 day trial period but I'm leaning toward not keeping it.

In the last week Root Explorer got a major UI overhaul to full Holo. I dropped the $4 but it was so buggy I ended up getting a refund. Nothing was working right (and it wasn't too good looking either).

Fortunately ES got an update which fixed the text editor and r/w not sticking but now that I've seen better interfaces I keep wishing someone would just make something both attractive and functional.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 7, 2013

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I've found X-plore is brilliant. It has a two-pane setup for easy copying or moving of files, can hook into cloud storage, and can easily browse storage on the network and even stream audio and video.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried File Expert? Since the dev added root support I've basically stopped using ES entirely. I don't use some of the stuff you are asking for (network shares) but it claims to include all of that stuff. It uses a tabbed Holo-ish layout which works pretty well. Root access requires the Pro key.

Basic / HD / Pro

(The HD version only runs on 4.0 and up, go with that unless you're on some old lovely device.)

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 7, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flavivirus posted:

I've found X-plore is brilliant. It has a two-pane setup for easy copying or moving of files, can hook into cloud storage, and can easily browse storage on the network and even stream audio and video.
No offense but this might be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't use this if it gave me the best blow job in the history of human existence whenever I transferred files.

Just in case people think I'm exaggerating:

Tunga posted:

Have you tried File Expert? Since the dev added root support I've basically stopped using ES entirely. I don't use some of the stuff you are asking for (network shares) but it claims to include all of that stuff. It uses a tabbed Holo-ish layout which works pretty well. Root access requires the Pro key.

Basic / HD / Pro

(The HD version only runs on 4.0 and up, go with that unless you're on some old lovely device.)
It looks so terrible I didn't even try it but you're one of my favorite posters and when you suggest things you're usually right so now I'm doubting myself. One thing I really like about ES is the pane management (more like pain management amirite :v: ). I love sticking my SMB share on one pane, my clouds on another, and just swiping between them for easy copypasting. I'm hoping File Expert lets me swipe between tabs and set what the default tabs are. Either way I'll give it a shot and try not to carry too many prejudices in. :) e: I did not like that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 7, 2013

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
I went back through the last few pages and couldn't find a mention of it, so:

JuiceSSH - if you're looking for a SSH client, it beats Connectbot in a big way, and they're doing a giveaway to unlock Pro - details on the Google+ page.

It's awesome, and it lets you set up connections through other connections, so you can connect automatically to a server through a VPN, handles tab and other special keys through an additional onscreen keyboard and a bunch of other stuff.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

It looks so terrible I didn't even try it but you're one of my favorite posters and when you suggest things you're usually right so now I'm doubting myself. One thing I really like about ES is the pane management (more like pain management amirite :v: ). I love sticking my SMB share on one pane, my clouds on another, and just swiping between them for easy copypasting. I'm hoping File Expert lets me swipe between tabs and set what the default tabs are. Either way I'll give it a shot and try not to carry too many prejudices in. :) e: I did not like that.
To be honest I haven't yet found a File Manager that looks really good. I personally think FE looks a little bit better than the new ES but neither are perfect.

You can swipe between tabs but you can't set the defaults beyond a few pre-sets. It does also contain a few options that don't really need to be there like the "tools" panel and the option to browse the internet from inside the app (what??) and some bits are little clunky such as Drive setup not being native.

But hey, it's free for everything except root access, so worth a look.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 7, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

To be honest I haven't yet found a File Manager that looks really good. I personally think FE looks a little bit better than the new ES but neither are perfect.

You can swipe between tabs but you can't set the defaults beyond a few pre-sets. It does also contain a few options that don't really need to be there like the "tools" panel and the option to browse the internet from inside the app (what??) and some bits are little clunky such as Drive setup not being native.

But hey, it's free for everything except root access, so worth a look.
I had actually tried it out when I was just going through a poo poo load of ones trying to find something I liked. I'm just going to stick with ES even though I don't like it much and I'll plop down $2 for Solid if the dev ends up fixing the r/w not sticking but I just wish someone would make a no-frills file browser in Holo. I just want inKa to be full-featured, really. :(

Thanks for the advice, though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I went back through the last few pages and couldn't find a mention of it, so:

JuiceSSH - if you're looking for a SSH client, it beats Connectbot in a big way, and they're doing a giveaway to unlock Pro - details on the Google+ page.

It's awesome, and it lets you set up connections through other connections, so you can connect automatically to a server through a VPN, handles tab and other special keys through an additional onscreen keyboard and a bunch of other stuff.

I emailed them last night and got pro enabled this morning. It really is amazing and the devs are great.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Sorry for the double post but Next Launcher is free today. Get the lite version, open it, go to preferences - > about the full version, hit "activate" and then type in "nextlauncher3d" as account name and "freeappoftheday" as promo code.

This is a $16 launcher. It's GO, though, so I don't know how good it is.

E: link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gtp.nextlauncher.trial

e2: holy poo poo it's ugly. Nice smooth animations but my God I hope I can change the appearance because holy poo poo

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 7, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

the kawaiiest posted:

Sorry for the double post but Next Launcher is free today. Get the lite version, open it, go to preferences - > about the full version, hit "activate" and then type in "nextlauncher3d" as account name and "freeappoftheday" as promo code.

This is a $16 launcher. It's GO, though, so I don't know how good it is.

E: link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gtp.nextlauncher.trial

Not working for me. Activate button is greyed out after I type in those details

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Same

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Are you sure you didn't just activate it? Because I just did it on mine a few minutes ago and it worked.

e: it's weird though because it still says it's the lite version even though the activation stuff disappeared. Hmmm.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 7, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried it, activate button was also grayed out for me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

I tried it, activate button was also grayed out for me.

Mine was gray but I tapped it anyway and it worked. I'm not sure what's going on. :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the kawaiiest posted:

Mine was gray but I tapped it anyway and it worked. I'm not sure what's going on. :psyduck:

I tapped it, and nothing happened.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

I tapped it, and nothing happened.

I don't know what to tell you. Mine is activated, the "about full version" thing is gone from the menu for me and gesture settings, which is a full version thing, is enabled.

Is it possible that the promotion just ended seconds after I activated mine?

e: also mine still says "lite" so I have no idea what the gently caress. This is ugly as sin anyway so you're not missing much.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the kawaiiest posted:

This is ugly as sin anyway so you're not missing much.

Yeah, I noticed this while trying to find the preferences (the text labels didn't load the first time), and I'm not really broken up about it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

Yeah, I noticed this while trying to find the preferences (the text labels didn't load the first time), and I'm not really broken up about it.

Seriously. I thought I'd be able to customize it easily but the options are hard to find. I couldn't figure out how to change the dock style and just went back to Nova. It's a shame because the launcher has nice, smooth animations and it could be good but it looks like something from the 90s or something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Password to activate is "appoftheday" not "freeappoftheday" but the kawaiiest is right, this thing is horrible looking.

Those themes you see on XDA?

Yeah, imagine that. As a launcher by itself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sometimes the official Facebook app displays my feed as if it's a couple of days old. It's really loving weird and super annoying and no amount of fiddling with settings or refreshing the feed fixes it. Likewise, the official Twitter app often doesn't display tweets within a certain time period, but only for the current day. Since the recent big update, the Twittter app also isn't using my custom ringtone for notifications.

:psyduck: I really don't think my phone would be causing this, so I'm pretty sure the apps are to blame. What's the go-to alternative Twitter and/or Facebook app(s)? I want things that look and behave as closely as possible to the official apps. I like their UIs, I just hate how their functionality is pretty god drat broken. Hootsuite seems nice but it would be great to not need a separate account for it. Push notifications are essential as well.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 7, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Mine does that too. Yeah, it's not like I wanted to go look at the post my friend just made or anything, it's cool, Facebook.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

All the file browsers suck.
If you find one that's sufficient for everything but network shares, you could use CifsManager to mount a share that's accessible by any other app, including file managers that don't have internal SMB support.

Although 4.2 breaks CifsManager unless you're running a patched build.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

I had actually tried it out when I was just going through a poo poo load of ones trying to find something I liked. I'm just going to stick with ES even though I don't like it much and I'll plop down $2 for Solid if the dev ends up fixing the r/w not sticking but I just wish someone would make a no-frills file browser in Holo. I just want inKa to be full-featured, really. :(

Thanks for the advice, though.
I use explorer+. It's holo and pretty decent. Free version has ads though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Always used Root Explorer and it has served me well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Protocol7 posted:

Password to activate is "appoftheday" not "freeappoftheday" but the kawaiiest is right, this thing is horrible looking.

Those themes you see on XDA?

Yeah, imagine that. As a launcher by itself.

Oh crap you're right, I'm sorry. I misread the password. :doh:

But yeah, it's ugly. There's themes for it, but they're also ugly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change poo poo myself so I just went back to Nova.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I managed to find a TouchWiz theme for it but at that point I might as well use TouchWiz that's already installed on my phone. The animations are so gaudy too, like when you bring up the menu. Great effort, poor execution.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Protocol7 posted:

I managed to find a TouchWiz theme for it but at that point I might as well use TouchWiz that's already installed on my phone. The animations are so gaudy too, like when you bring up the menu. Great effort, poor execution.

Yeah, it's SO SMOOTH but it's incredibly ugly/tacky. I can't believe it's $16. And people are actually paying for it too. :wtc:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

the kawaiiest posted:

But yeah, it's ugly. There's themes for it, but they're also ugly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change poo poo myself so I just went back to Nova.

The "pure" white theme looked okay, but only just. But otherwise, yeah, it looks like every other XDA style "HOLY poo poo EFFECTS" overdrive skin. Or like Compiz.

I'm also interested to see how they did their translation, because it's... um...unique? It's quite clear that they did not bother checking to see how the changes to their resource files would affect the UI, nor if it was spelled correctly. I'm also guessing they used the already kinda weird English translation as the basis for the Japanese one, because some of these lines seem directly translated.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

drasticactions posted:

The "pure" white theme looked okay, but only just. But otherwise, yeah, it looks like every other XDA style "HOLY poo poo EFFECTS" overdrive skin. Or like Compiz.

I'm also interested to see how they did their translation, because it's... um...unique? It's quite clear that they did not bother checking to see how the changes to their resource files would affect the UI, nor if it was spelled correctly. I'm also guessing they used the already kinda weird English translation as the basis for the Japanese one, because some of these lines seem directly translated.

Let's not judge all of xda themers.

The guys who did the Dark HTC One theme have done a bang up tidy job.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Is there a free "caller ID" app for Android?

What I mean is, sometimes I get phone calls from 800 numbers or AT&T wireless callers. If these same 800 numbers called me on my house line, I'd see who they were before I pick up. Except on my cell, it does not. I would love to know if there's some way to add this feature to my RAZR MAXX HD. The phone is rooted, if that would make a difference for some reason.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webascender.callerid&hl=en

:?:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

I love you.

Last time I looked the only ones had monthly fees.

Edit: It looks like this one doesn't work with Google voice? I only use Google voice for voicemails though. I guess this interferes with it for some reason?

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 7, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That "$16" launcher is the most hideous POS I've ever downloaded. Uninstalled in under 60 seconds.

People actually buy it...for $16? Wow-wee.

I image it would rape the battery pretty well too. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hotsauce posted:

That "$16" launcher is the most hideous POS I've ever downloaded. Uninstalled in under 60 seconds.

People actually buy it...for $16? Wow-wee.

I image it would rape the battery pretty well too. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff.

No, it is hideous. I feel dirty for posting it. :(

• Locked thread