Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

jjac posted:

If you didn't know already, becoming a subscriber also gives you access to freeform characters AND power customization.

Yeah, but I'm assuming your freeform characters go *poof* as soon as you stop subscribing.

I don't really want to start on a new MMORPG, I'm just here to hang out with ex-CoH players and troll futas in Club Caprice. I can do that just fine without spending $$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Freeforms get locked and I think can be swapped back to an archetype to be played while f2p, but I'm not sure how often you can swap them (I think there's a limit?).

That said, if you're just here to gently caress around then yeah, don't bother.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Keep in mind that for some inexplicable reason, most of the costume creator is locked until you reach I think level 10 on at least one char.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That reason is "Cryptic is retarded".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Asimo posted:

That reason is "Cryptic is retarded".

Champions does have it's share of good ideas, so I'm not ready to slap a full retard label on them. Still there's really no reason for the 'leave this map' button not to pop up prominently when you complete a mission.

As for the costume creator, two things stick in my mind; only five hairstyles were available at first, and the boob slider defaults to the max.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Gynovore posted:

Champions does have it's share of good ideas, so I'm not ready to slap a full retard label on them.

This will pass, in time.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

So have they still not included a mission creator yet? I heard that STO and Neverwinter had these features, so it seems kind of bizarre that Champions wouldn't get that as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not allowed to have the money to put one in Champions.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Basically, as they were making STO and Neverwinter, they were setting enemy groups and maps and items up for player use as things were added.

They didn't do this for Champions.

If they were ever going to add the Foundry to CO, which won't happen, it'd require several people to go through every object and enemy and map in the game and format them all to properly work in the Foundry. Not going to happen in a game that's already in life support with a staff of like 3 people working on it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Gynovore posted:

As for the costume creator, two things stick in my mind; only five hairstyles were available at first, and the boob slider defaults to the max.

On the plus side, it can only go down from there! :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Gynovore posted:

Uh, it's about comics. Of course boobs are humongous.

Or if you were hoping to dial boob size even farther, then you can actually fake it a bit by slightly raising the body size slider! There's a tiny buffer room where it only makes the chest larger before making the whole character bulky.

:goonsay:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just like in real life.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Jan posted:

Uh, it's about comics. Of course boobs are humongous.

Or if you were hoping to dial boob size even farther, then you can actually fake it a bit by slightly raising the body size slider! There's a tiny buffer room where it only makes the chest larger before making the whole character bulky.

:goonsay:

It's also worth noting that because of the way Cryptic decided to design everything, female models actually kinda look like poo poo if you turn that slider down more than about halfway. Because the model shrinks, but the texture still has this massive shadow on it that's clearly intended for something much bigger.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

General Maximus posted:

It's also worth noting that because of the way Cryptic decided to design everything, female models actually kinda look like poo poo if you turn that slider down more than about halfway. Because the model shrinks, but the texture still has this massive shadow on it that's clearly intended for something much bigger.
If you're talking about what I think you are, turning the muscle slider down reduces that.

The most obnoxious problem with the female model is that none of the sliders control waist size for some reason, they're stuck at pencil thin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Muscle mass doesn't affect how it messes up the models for Emblems though.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

OneEightHundred posted:

Keep in mind that for some inexplicable reason, most of the costume creator is locked until you reach I think level 10 on at least one char.

Finishing the tutorial, actually.

But yeah, the game has its share of dumb design decisions.

Sad thing with all this Foundry talk, is that this game will not at any time soon get a Foundry overhaul. I'd love to just gently caress around with one.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

OneEightHundred posted:

If you're talking about what I think you are, turning the muscle slider down reduces that.

The most obnoxious problem with the female model is that none of the sliders control waist size for some reason, they're stuck at pencil thin.

Yeah, makes half the other sliders pointless because if you turn some of them up past about a third the character just starts to look ridiculous because everything else is huge while the waist is still tiny. I miss the CoH waist slider that actually affected the waist. Unlike this game which has a slider labelled waist but that actually alters the hips.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Champions does have it's share of good ideas, so I'm not ready to slap a full retard label on them.

Oh, they've more than earned it. Last weekend's Neverwinter debacle more than proved that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's the thing with Champions- it's not an outright terrible game, and early on you might be having a lot of fun with it due to the customization and huge amount of powers to play with.

But once you get to max level, or a few weeks in, or make two or three alts, you'll start feeling like everything is far too samey and bland. The game's illusion of being big and fancy ends up getting shattered and you're left kind of bored, your build functionally the same as almost anyone else's, nothing to do at max level, and seeing a million people with names like XxDarkZer-0xX 23233(despite the name system never needing anyone to do that kind of poo poo) that have randomized costumes and just don't care.

And then you go "well I'll take a break and come back next time there's a major update", and when you do, you realize that any potential the idea they were trying to implement had has been completely wasted and monetized to hell, the 'new content' will barely last you more than an hour, and there's still no reason to not just make a ranged DPS/self-healing Tank hybrid character.

Enjoy CO while you can- I find it kind of fun to mess with once or twice every year or so but it never really sticks. If the game had more content and more valid types of builds it would be more interesting, but I don't think it'll ever get improved.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I managed to play it for ages, but... yeah, sadly it gets boring after a few months. I don't entirely agree with the reasons; content is definitely an issue, and the fact the OP hasn't really been updated much is more due to the fact there hasn't even been anything added beyond vehicles and a few small events in months than the fact I don't really play anymore. And builds are a bit samey, but even that's more due to necessity... if you don't build a certain way, fighting just takes too long (importantly: long, not difficult, which also doesn't help). Between the two it really kills any urge to devote time to it, and unfortunately since Atari was crippling Cryptic, ChampO never got a chance to really get a good audience so it doesn't have the income to devote to making more/better things to do. It's kind of a catch-22.

Compare it to, say, Star Trek Online, an also bad MMO made by Cryptic. But despite nominally having less options in chargen and such, there's just more to do; there's two different forms of combat (ground and space) and one of them is pretty unique, there's managing redshirt pokemon duty officer assignments, there's more gearing options and variety, the types of ships play noticeably different even if they superficially seem similar, and so on. And thanks to the license it had enough of a hardcore idiot fandom fanbase to justify huge content updates, including the one last week that added an entirely new faction. Then there's the shiny new (if laughably broken and exploited) Neverwinter, and... ChampO really seems like a redheaded stepchild in comparison. :smith:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I remember the CO devs mentioning some sort of sidekick system that basically sounded like a cross between STO's duty officers and Neverwinter's companions. Plus the visual customization of STO's bridge officers. Which sounds really cool to me, but I'm not sure how much content that would bring to the game.

And maybe some details of that were more conjecture than fact, I can't really remember anymore- this stuff came up before Vehicles were fully implemented as the next step after that system got into the game. I wonder if it's still happening. I'd love to make Batman and have a bunch of Robins running around with me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I think vehicles were sort of the last gasp of trying to get money out of ChampO. Something fairly highly demanded, and capable of being priced at the expensive starship/mount level and offered in gambleboxes for the whales in the audience. Unfortunately (and honestly, perhaps unsurprisingly) that didn't really take off, so... there you go.

Luckily ChampO is run off the same servers STO/NWO is, and as long as the latter two remain profitable (and if anything, STO seems to be growing) then it won't be going anywhere and, with luck, will improve over time. Maybe. I can't stand any of the other superhero MMOs on the market, so ChampO's wasted potential is painful.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Hypothetically speaking, how much work would 'tagging' art assets and mobs be for a CO Foundry? I mean, beyond actually working out a GUI and testing the whole mess.

Trailturtle's remarks about a Foundry simile being implemented being slim to none due to this particular issue alone being so much work has me wondering if this supposed 'tagging' could be done by a small team of interns or, heaven forbid, crowdsourcing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's enough work that I believe they mentioned they were considering pursuing a Kickstarter specifically to fund it- but I doubt a "give CO a level editor!" kickstarter would work out. They've probably dropped that line of thought.

I don't know how much it would be for sure, we'd have to ask a dev to really know.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Likely just missed it. But the instructions say when you log in to their site with an non-linked account it'll prompt you, but it doesn't. Can't wait to get my characters for a game I haven't played in months back!

e: Support linked my accounts successfully. Got my characters back. Made a new alt as well, but the game doesn't really have any togas. Shame really.

How long did it take them to do this? I decided I might as well play this again for a bit and now I'm waiting on them to restore my stuff.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Asimo posted:

other superhero MMOs on the market

These exist? Aside from DCU, I think Marvel's Diablo thing is the only other one in the market, and that's a stretching the definition of the term. :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Unguided posted:

How long did it take them to do this? I decided I might as well play this again for a bit and now I'm waiting on them to restore my stuff.

I didn't see this question til just now. And by now you most likely have your stuff back. It took me maybe a day or two, that's all.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

These exist? Aside from DCU, I think Marvel's Diablo thing is the only other one in the market, and that's a stretching the definition of the term. :smith:

TECHNICALLY Champions, I guess? Atari really loving hated those devs though, so Champs never got a chance to really shine like CoH/CoV.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

TECHNICALLY Champions, I guess? Atari really loving hated those devs though, so Champs never got a chance to really shine like CoH/CoV.

We're in the Champions thread. :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

It's easy to forget it exists. :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

This is what I get for being tired and sad at Champions.

I've been trying to play again recently and I just can't do it. I'll dink around in the superhero maker for a few minutes or go punch dudes in the dink with rocket fists and it's just not as magical anymore.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Not sure if anyone else might have seen this, but apparently a new studio named Cryptic North has been founded (apparently comprised mainly of Flying Lab people, who were behind the Pirates of the Burning Sea game I believe). Their stated goal at the moment is to polish up CO.

quote:

How long has the new studio been operating? How many people are currently there?

Jack Emmert: We began talks to bring Rusty and his team in and establish Cryptic North before December of 2012.

Russell Williams: Yeah, we went full speed ahead in January of 2013, but we've also been collaborating with each other for years, back when most of Cryptic North was still Flying Lab. We have 12 people in the Seattle Studio, but we have transplants from Cryptic come up here just as we have our Northerners go down there, so the studio size varies pretty dramatically from week-to-week.

quote:

What's Cryptic North going to be working on, exactly?

RW: Right now we are working hand-in-hand with the Cryptic Studios team on Champions Online, though we contribute to Star Trek Online and Neverwinter.

quote:

Will Cryptic North be working projects independent from Redwood's?

RW: A definite possibility. Right now we are focusing on polishing and improving Champs. Longer term, who knows?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

12 new hands. CO's team just duodecupled.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Speaking of new content, newly revised Telepathy as a means to sprinkle actually useful buffs and debuffs around is looking pretty nice.

Mind, as it stands, no actual new or actual community content :sigh:

At least the Bingo steadily keeps filling up.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I hope CO gets some real attention finally- I know, :Cryptic:, but I can always hope :unsmith:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not sure if anyone else might have seen this, but apparently a new studio named Cryptic North has been founded (apparently comprised mainly of Flying Lab people, who were behind the Pirates of the Burning Sea game I believe). Their stated goal at the moment is to polish up CO.

This to me strongly suggests that they're finally getting CO's assets ready for Foundry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they've actually been on the game since January, they must be doing something behind the scenes (or lengthy) because development has been even slower than usual.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I suppose they have to decipher the tangled mess that is the previous team(s) code- from what I've read and been told, the code for CoH was like a plate of spaghetti that'd been shot at with a shotgun. I can only imagine the :psyduck: that is CO's.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
So ... is the Goon community in this game still active at all? I picked this back up after a couple years away, and I'm having fun but it's so very lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kafziel posted:

So ... is the Goon community in this game still active at all? I picked this back up after a couple years away, and I'm having fun but it's so very lonely.
Honestly? Not all that much, no. :geno: There's a lot of people playing STO and Neverwinter, but ChampO's been sort of been in a slow decline with minimal staff and updates. The F2P transition coming while they were still under Atari's thumb basically crippled the chance of the game getting new players, and even the death of CoH only caused a brief resurgence... it's been pretty clear that the game's been on life support (until now anyway) just from STO getting a massive new expansion-style patch and even a big one slated for Neverwinter in a month or two, while here... yeah.

Hopefully some actual development love will help. I still maintain they need to open up the F2P side of things though, the Archetypes are just way too restrictive and limited.