Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Am I the only one that noticed "40% at a maximum, more if I wanted to wipe out my emergency funds, i.e. 40% would not wipe them out, more than 40% would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just signed all the title company stuff, with an effective closing date on Monday. Now I swing by the title company sometime today to drop off an enormous check and get the keys on Monday afternoon. :feelsgood:
Going from renting (paying rent up front) to a mortgage (paying in arrears) means I have one month rent free :haw: (from a cashflow perspective) Time to blow it all on renting a moving truck and painting over the dirt-colored walls!

When we put in the offer, the seller's realtor said that they couldn't go much lower than what we offered, because it would trigger a short sale situation. They also wouldn't budge on any repairs or closing costs usually paid by the buyer.
In signing all the documents it showed a breakdown of what is going to the seller. After paying off the loan ($165k), his part of the closing costs (~$4k) and the realtors ($11k), the guy walked away with just $4,000 on an $184k sale :stare: He bought that house in 2005 for $240k, lives out of state, and has been renting it out the whole time.

Do never flip.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
So what's going on with the loan interest rates? Or is there a better place to ask?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wozbo posted:

Or is there a better place to ask?

(Speaking very generally, rates are v. low historically, and you would expect to see them increase as the economy continues to improve and QE is wound down. However, people have been saying rates have been 'historically low' for a decade. No one knows.)

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Wozbo posted:

So what's going on with the loan interest rates? Or is there a better place to ask?

Mortgage rates generally move with the economy. When investors are feeling confident in the economy, they pull money out of bonds and put it into the stock market. When money is pulled out of bonds, it lowers their price and increases their interest rates. Therefore when investors feel good about the economy, mortgage rates go up.

The inverse is true as well. If investors are afraid that the stock market will crash, they will put their money in bonds which will lower the rates.

The last two months have had generally very good economic data, which is fueling this increase in mortgage rates. Just today there was better than expected jobs numbers. Personally, I just locked a rate at 4.125% (60 day window and having a condo have bumped up my rate) since I think the economy will continue to improve and thus rates will continue to increase.

Obviously this is just my opinion and rates could decrease, but unless we see another major economic downtown, don't expect 3.5% rates any time soon.

Edit: all the rates mentioned in my post are for 30 year fixed.

Seph fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 7, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
On HOAs, a question on what I'm dealing with:

We live in a roughly 300 lot subdivision, of which about 75 are unsold. It was started by one developer (Adams), bought by another during the housing crisis (Breland), then sold recently to third (DR Horton). The developers were still paying to maintain the common areas, as the neighborhood was unfinished. DR Horton immediately came in after the purchase, called for an HOA meeting to elect a board, then nobody in the neighborhood heard anything about the results for the next four months (and DR Horton never returned calls). This morning, a letter came from our new management company, setting our fees at 300 a year, which seems kind of silly for not having any common areas at all- no tennis court or pool or playground or any of that poo poo. Basically 3-4 roundabouts with a little gazebo, plus the front entrance.

When I called the management company asking exactly who hired him, he told me our HOA Board. When I asked who made up the HOA Board, he delayed (still waiting on a return call with that info) but said it was probably some DR Horton employees, as they still have so many votes they can just stock the board with their people and do whatever they like. His tone suggested it was an everyday occurrence; is this something you folks have heard of before?

I don't expect to be able to do much about it (other than get as many angry residents as I can to give them an unpleasant evening meeting next week) until they sell more lots; does the board have the ability to set when the next election is? Can an HOA board be recalled?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

As long as the builder has control of the HOA, you're screwed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pretty much what I figured :(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does your HOA cover trash removal or is that done by one of your utility companies? I know our HOA covers trash removal for the community.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
$300/yr for HOA fees? A lot of the HOA's I've been looking at here are between $130-200/month. Sure that's paying for common areas, exterior upkeep and landscape, but it's a hard pill to swallow. Been looking for a starter home for around 3-4 months, and everything in my price point ($130-150k) is selling in a week or less, unless it's in a less-desirable area or has major repairs needed. Do never shop :(

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, $25/mo is pretty much the absolute cheapest HOA you can ever hope for.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

rockcity posted:

Does your HOA cover trash removal or is that done by one of your utility companies? I know our HOA covers trash removal for the community.

Nope- nothing besides (and I'm assuming here because we're getting zero info from them) upkeep of the subdivision's grassy areas along the road, the turnarounds, insurance, fee collection etc.

I know a lot of you in San Fran or NYC are probably playing a tiny violin as I say 300 a year. I understand it's not an exorbitant amount comparatively, but it does seem high for what we're paying for.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GD_American posted:

Nope- nothing besides (and I'm assuming here because we're getting zero info from them) upkeep of the subdivision's grassy areas along the road, the turnarounds, insurance, fee collection etc.

I know a lot of you in San Fran or NYC are probably playing a tiny violin as I say 300 a year. I understand it's not an exorbitant amount comparatively, but it does seem high for what we're paying for.

300 lots * $25 is $7500/mo in costs. You should be able to request a financial breakdown of income and expenditures. It's not unheard of for some of the fees to go into developing a savings buffer to allow for one-off legal costs without needing to increase the rate perfectly in line with expenses.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

His Divine Shadow posted:

Top floor:

The ground floor living room is gigantic, I would want to change it and add a room on the left side so the house would have 5 rooms + kitchen/toilets/etc.

Is that a sauna off the bathroom? Goddamn.

That house is super cute.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Lyz posted:

Is that a sauna off the bathroom? Goddamn.

That house is super cute.

I'm still trying to figure out what that room is as well. It has a window in it which seems like a bad idea for a sauna.

Edit: I found the builder website, but there really aren't any details on what that is.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 7, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Spamtron7000 posted:

"Emergency funds" is a good thing to have - especially if you have kids. I wouldn't wipe mine out.

Yeah, I don't want to touch them, unless there is some incentive to do so in the long term, which doesn't sound like there is.

silvergoose posted:

Am I the only one that noticed "40% at a maximum, more if I wanted to wipe out my emergency funds, i.e. 40% would not wipe them out, more than 40% would.

I think you may have not interpreted that quite right.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Belldandy posted:

Yeah, I don't want to touch them, unless there is some incentive to do so in the long term, which doesn't sound like there is.

It depends on if you feel like you can invest the money better elsewhere. Put it into the down payment, lower your overall interest.... your return is going to be pretty much whatever your interest rate is. So... 3.5-4%? Can you invest that money elsewhere and get a better return than that? Then you might want to consider doing something else with it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ntd posted:

Looks great. Did you put the dimensions in feet on there or is that some sort practice in architecture in Euroland? At least I assume they are in feet, seems like what they should approximate to anyway.

What is the room with the second door on the porch that looks to go into little room disconnected from the rest of the house for?

The measurements are in square meters and that's pretty much the standard way of doing it, so you see what size the rooms are. Everything on this is metric. The little room looks like it's a storage closet. And I don't know of a single house plan I've come across yet that left out the sauna. It's Finland after all.

I'm not 100% we'll go with this model, it depends on what all the extra costs will amount to, how much we can get out of this apartment, still lots of unknown factors we're trying to tie down. Cost of the land, cost of preparing the land (connecting power & water, sewer, prepping the ground for building, etc etc). There are cheaper options available if so. Also waiting for offers from various firms. I just thought this one looked the nicest.

rockcity posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what that room is as well. It has a window in it which seems like a bad idea for a sauna.

Edit: I found the builder website, but there really aren't any details on what that is.

That room is the sauna and yeah the sauna has a window. That does happen.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 7, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

That room is the sauna and yeah the sauna has a window. That does happen.

Hmmm interesting. I would figure that a window just wouldn't insulate the heat nearly as well as a full wall. I guess they could put a really beefy window in there.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

rockcity posted:

Hmmm interesting. I would figure that a window just wouldn't insulate the heat nearly as well as a full wall. I guess they could put a really beefy window in there.

Not too different from winterizing a home to keep the heat in a house, I imagine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

rockcity posted:

Pretty much all windows here are at the least double pane or more. The newest windows nowadays are hermetically sealed and filled with argon.

Randomly
Jan 20, 2013

Wozbo posted:

The guy keeping the rates low (Uncle Sam) has decided that he no longer wants to buy bonds and is pulling out of the market. The guy was kinda an idiot but kinda a saint since he was basically lending everyone money at 1 or 2 percent. Now all thats left is everyone else and everyone else wants to see a better return on there investment.... like 4 or 5%. That means that rates are going up... quick.

Randomly
Jan 20, 2013

GD_American posted:

I do lots of loans in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and other southern states. 300 a year isn't much at all for a large neighborhood HOA with few (no) services. As mentioned by another, that is most likely the savings account and something unknown and can drop in the future as that reaches its required level.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

GD_American posted:

Our HOA is a little less than $7/month, they maintain the entrances and some ponds, that's about it. They also have to maintain property that was turned over to them by the builder, usually an empty lot here or there that was turned over to meet green space requirements that emerged since they started working on the development. Even with this low of a fee, about 50% of the revenues go directly to the HOA management firm that the company put in place, but part of that includes fee collection and sending us a 1-page generic "newsletter" each year that contains generic information about fences, decks, etc...most of which doesn't actually apply to our community.

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
Ok, we got the gift from my in-laws and we took some of the money and paid off all of our credit cards to the point where we have no more than a 25% of the total credit limit on them any more.

We are now interested in a house that is listed at $129,000 and is approved for 100% rural USDA financing. Is mortgage insurance cheaper when you get into things like this? Do any of you have any experience with it?

Also, when finally making an offer, how low it too low to go in at with the offer? I know, our buyers agent will help us with all of that, but I'm still interested to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Downhome posted:

Ok, we got the gift from my in-laws and we took some of the money and paid off all of our credit cards to the point where we have no more than a 25% of the total credit limit on them any more.

We are now interested in a house that is listed at $129,000 and is approved for 100% rural USDA financing. Is mortgage insurance cheaper when you get into things like this? Do any of you have any experience with it?

Also, when finally making an offer, how low it too low to go in at with the offer? I know, our buyers agent will help us with all of that, but I'm still interested to hear what you have to say. Thanks!

I typically recommend to my clients not lowballing an offer too much: i.e. an offer that is low enough that both sides know it would never happen can be an insult to the seller, or at the very least make them unwilling to negotiate. The actual amount is hugely dependent on the market, so there's really no hard fast rule here.

Basically, is it an amount that some comparable, at least somewhere nearby, would maybe-kinda-almost have gone for? Then at least you have some justification, which makes your lowball offer look less of an rear end in a top hat move and more of a reasonable first attempt.

Be sure to justify your low offer - not to yourself, but to a seller. You might not have to give them your justifications up front, but if you can point at a comparable and say "this went for XYZ amount, and the house im looking at now is similar but has no pool, so I am going to subtract T dollars and make my offer based on that" you are going to be in a better position to negotiate - and plus, the seller (or at least their agent) is likely to have done the same math.

The goal with any offer is to negotiate from a position of strength, and the more your offer is based on factual evidence the more you're going to induce backpedaling from the seller without necessarily pushing them away entirely.

Of course if the market is super strong where you are at like it is here in Austin you might not really have the ability to negotiate at all.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 8, 2013

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Downhome posted:

Mortgage insurance on USDA/GRH loans is called the guarantee fee, you pay 2% of the loan amount upfront and then another .40% annually, divided over 12 months. You can finance the upfront fee into your loan amount, pay it upfront yourself, or split it and do a portion using both methods if you want. Keep in mind that this program has MAXIMUM income requirements, if you make too much money you cannot qualify for it. The limit is 115% of the median income for your area, this link will tell you how much you can make.

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/HSF-Guar_Income_Limits.html

Captain Windex fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 8, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Downhome posted:

Tbh if it took a gift from your in-laws to get your credit card debt down to 25% of your credit limit you probably aren't ready to own a home.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

X-Posting from DIY & Hobbies. I need some help figuring out what to do with my kitchen. I like the rest of my house and I think the kitchen is a bit of an eye sore. My budget is roughly $1,500 to $2,000.

Walking in through the front door:

To the left:

Straight on:

To the right:

The living room from the kitchen:

The breakfast nook:

• Lighting: I plan on replacing the fan with something more modern. Also I want to replace the can lights with 2 straight ~6' pieces of suspended track lighting. One along the wall with the range, and one over the sink going towards the front door. I'm thinking of adding some pendants to the one over the sink. Cost would be ~$300 to $400. Plan B would be to install a couple more can lights, which would be cheaper, but involve more crawling around the attic and wouldn't be as cool looking.

• Countertop: Current options are diy concrete, granite remnant, or diy solid surface. Still haven't figured it out. Any suggestions? Need 29 sqft of countertop and I definitely want an undermount stainless sink and a new faucet. ($500-$1000 depending on what I go with)

• Bar: Planning on raising the edge of the bar to normal bar height and extend it to normal bar depth (10-12" overhang). I want it to feel like an eating area, not like you are eating where the dirty dishes go. I'm considering a live edge slab, butcher block, diy sheet metal, granite or solid surface remnant for the bar top (~$200). Thoughts on how it would look raised up?

• Cabinets: Lot's of options. I hate the huge gap between the uppers and the ceiling, not to mention the dated oak look. My thinking is that I could refinish/repaint the current cabinets (cheap). I could do that and then add on some open shelves above the uppers like this. Or I could add on shelves above the cabinet and get new 39" upper doors from Ikea so they would look like 39" uppers ($~250). I could get all new uppers from Ikea/craigslist/re-store (~$500?). I could raise up my current uppers and add an open shelf below them (also cheap). The main concern here is price since new cabinets are expensive.

• Hood Range: I'm considering getting a vented range hood, even though it would mean more money and less storage. I'm thinking it would look really good as a focal piece since it would be one of the first things you see when you walk into the house. What do you guys think? (~$300)

• Backsplash: I'm thinking subway tile since it's popular and cheap and I'm in Columbus so people will still love subway tile even when NY and LA move on to the next fad. (~$100)

I know people itt have seen hundreds of homes. What would you want to see if you were the buyer?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I think using a richer wood color on your cabinetry would go a long way, and your probably want to adjust the counter-tops accordingly.

A wood color like you are using in your living room coffee table would work well to contrast against the stainless appliances and the wall.

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 9, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

BossRighteous posted:

I think using a richer wood color on your cabinetry would go a long way, and your probably want to adjust the counter-tops accordingly.

A wood color like you are using in your living room coffee table would work well to contrast against the stainless appliances and the wall.

That looks really good. I think that would go well with a white counter top and white subway tile.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
We just put in an offer on a house this afternoon, and the seller's agent called mine to say that she didn't think her seller would accept our offer because we included the clause saying that we could back out if our survey showed that we could not put a pool in the back yard. Google satellite view shows no homes with pools in that immediate area, which struck me as odd, and is why I mentioned it to my agent. They're presenting all offers (3+) to the seller in about an hour, so I didn't have time to really consider it and just told my agent to take that clause out of the offer. Now I'm worried if that's what I really wanted. I like the idea of saving up for a nice pool in a few years.

Does this sound odd to anyone? Did I make a reasonable request? To me it sounds like our offer is the front-runner, and the agent decided she didn't like the possibility of us backing out and tried to squeeze a better contract out of us while she could.

It's a really nice house - 3/2.5, 2 story, 2 car garage, updated lights/faucets/paint/carpet, wood stairs (I HATE cleaning carpeted stairs), giant yard, updated kitchen with fancy smooth cooktop and convection oven, jetted garden tub and glass shower in master bath, giant walk-in closet in master, average size walk-in closet in secondary bedroom, jack-and-jill bath for 2nd and 3rd bedroom... ahhh. I hope we get it. It's perfect to grow into whenever we start a family. Great schools, too.

Edit: Offer accepted!!! Still curious about anyone's thoughts on the pool clause, though.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 10, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

BossRighteous posted:

Please do not forget to update the hardware on the cabinets if you go this route.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

That looks really good. I think that would go well with a white counter top and white subway tile.
I love espresso-ish cabinets with white-ish counters. We went with cambria torquay quartz for the counters, and empire http://eleganzatiles.com/products/residential/newyork.html for the backsplash.

I vote for counters plus undermount sink, track lighting, and a backsplash of some sort (I liked glass mosaics, but those will probably be pretty dated pretty soon - probably a it more expensive too, closer to $20/sq. ft). The upper shelving and hood don't do much for me. Also, I am not a fan of bar-height counters, just keep it at normal height but extended out further.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

Does this sound odd to anyone? Did I make a reasonable request? To me it sounds like our offer is the front-runner, and the agent decided she didn't like the possibility of us backing out and tried to squeeze a better contract out of us while she could.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me, too. If you weren't the front-runner offer she wouldn't have cared, and if the sellers cared they could easily have counter-offered to accept your price but without the contingency. I think the agent was worried she'd be unable to talk the buyers out of accepting your offer, and just wants to get her commission sooner without the risk you wind up backing out down the line.

If I were you I'd have either refused to remove the contingency, or removed the contingency but also lowered my bid by a significant amount. Unless of course the swimming pool thing just isn't very important to you, but if that were the case I doubt you'd have added the contingency in the first place.

...just as an aside, though: I think swimming pools are kind of horrible and I don't really get why people like them. They're horribly expensive, they're dangerous for kids to be around, they're massively wasteful of water and (if heated) power, they cost a lot to maintain, and while they can add value to your home they also can limit the potential pool (hah) of buyers. Your homeowner's insurance will be a lot higher too.

Then again I think public pools are disgusting so if you love swimming I can kinda get it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Belldandy posted:

Please do not forget to update the hardware on the cabinets if you go this route.

I was considering updating the hardware but I was planning on waiting until everything else to decide for sure.

quote:

I love espresso-ish cabinets with white-ish counters. We went with cambria torquay quartz for the counters, and empire http://eleganzatiles.com/products/r...al/newyork.html for the backsplash.

I vote for counters plus undermount sink, track lighting, and a backsplash of some sort (I liked glass mosaics, but those will probably be pretty dated pretty soon - probably a it more expensive too, closer to $20/sq. ft). The upper shelving and hood don't do much for me. Also, I am not a fan of bar-height counters, just keep it at normal height but extended out further.

That is what I am leaning toward right now. But I'll probably stick to subway tile, glass subway tile if I can afford it. I'm thinking I will raise up the cabinets and put a shelf below it. That way I get the newer tall cabinet look without as much carpentry or cost. Still not sure about range hood vs microwave range hood. And I would definitely leave the eating area normal height if the sink wasn't right there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't like microwaves placed where they're too high for me (or my wife) to see in. Makes it harder to clean them too. Just one data point but if you've never lived somewhere with a high-up microwave, you might not have considered that. It sucks lifting a plate with the raw chicken you just thawed and getting a stream of cold raw chicken juice down your arm, right in your sleeve, and into your armpit.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Speaking of kitchens, this has me completely baffled. You see that really thin, red-painted wall to the left of the refrigerator?

Please tell me it's not structural. Please don't be structural. The kitchen was redone about 6 years ago, which makes me wonder why they didn't knock that wall down when they had the chance. It's so awkwardly placed that it makes me wonder if they needed to keep it there. (I checked the unit below me and they have the same thin wall in place).

The general floor plan is that of a classic Chicago brick and concrete loft, and my understanding is that, aside from the cement columns, the floor plan is open. So why is that wall there? Is it me, or is it too narrow to be a load-bearing wall?

Mandals fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 10, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like they need something to bolt that upper cabinet to, and also a lot of people don't like the sides of fridges so it hides that. And there's no way that's structural, a 2x4 wall isn't going to hold up any useful amount of poured concrete construction.

What's behind that cabinet? Is it really as deep as the fridge or is it pullled forward, needing to be anchored to the walls on either side rather than the back wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That wall is on one side of a kind of cube, which is attached to the thick pillar. It's directly above the gap above the cabinet above the refrigerator. What's in there? Is it part of a staircase on the other side, or maybe an HVAC unit or something? I suspect the wall is supporting whatever that cube is there for.

It doesn't have to be supporting concrete to be structural. It just has to be supporting something.