Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Put the save from before the fight on dropbox or something and link it here. One of us will certainly play through the sequence in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

I haven't read all the books (drat publishers still won't translate them), but three are surely better than nothing, and I can kinda see Yennefer's appeal. She is vain and petty and conniving, but unlike say, Philippa or Sile, she has that odd maternal streak, so she's not all bad. It's going to be really hard to get her positive qualities across in the third game though, for people who have only played the games and are used to Triss. Without multiple books of development it'll be easy for players to just write Yennefer off as an arrogant bitch and turn any choice into a false one. Especially if her memory hasn't recovered. By contrast, getting people unfamiliar with her to like Ciri seems easy enough, now that she's all grown up.

EDIT: Oh and for the question no one's really addressed, RE: Why does Triss keep wanting to help Geralt find her, despite what that might mean? Triss was a close friend of Yennefer's before either of them had met Geralt. Also she's apparently just a cool person like that.

The big problem with the books is that they really aren't about Geralt. He's barely in most of them, and until the fifth one he doesn't really do anything. Most of the books focus on Ciri. That's fine, but don't call the books the 'Witcher Saga' when he's not the center of the plot.

Yennefer is a neurotic, insecure, emotional wreck. She desperately wants Geralt's daughter, but since they are both sterile that is impossible. By the fifth book she's come to realize that she wants to be with Geralt. She's been staying away and pushing him away because, like most basket cases, she doesn't really think she deserves him.

Yennefer is a very complex character.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

The big problem with the books is that they really aren't about Geralt. He's barely in most of them, and until the fifth one he doesn't really do anything. Most of the books focus on Ciri. That's fine, but don't call the books the 'Witcher Saga' when he's not the center of the plot.

Yennefer is a neurotic, insecure, emotional wreck. She desperately wants Geralt's daughter, but since they are both sterile that is impossible. By the fifth book she's come to realize that she wants to be with Geralt. She's been staying away and pushing him away because, like most basket cases, she doesn't really think she deserves him.

Yennefer is a very complex character.

Does the ending of The Last Wish have something to do with it? Maybe it was just the translation, but I had very little idea what was going on. So Geralt's wishes were 1. Go gently caress yourself 2.Explode this guy, and are we meant to be able to figure out 3? I got the impression it was something to with their relationship, like "be together forever" as a kind of loophole to stop the genie killing them both.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I shared your impression there, and that potentially says something very interesting about their relationship if true.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
The Witcher 3 is featuring on the cover of Edge, by the way. And Geralt looks pretty badass.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
And here's Geralt preparing to kill the magnificent elk demon.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
Oh God, I want one.

It's antlers seem to shrink when dead, though.

Akong fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 7, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some more

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Some more

So awesome..I really need to finish up Witcher 2 already.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I shouldn't have read this thread. I've beaten W1 and done both story paths for W2 and now I'm going to sit around pointlessly f5'ing this thread waiting for more updates.

This is really great news and I had no clue that they had already done so much work on it. A Skyrim that is the Witcher instead sounds amazing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've seen a lot of people frantically masturbating over how the developers do "much more than :smug: western developers :smug:" with a smaller budget, but is that down to their skill as developers or eastern European game development being cheap as gently caress? Not disputing the quality but CD Projekt's fanbase drives me nuts.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You mean American devs? Pretty sure CDP is considered a "western dev". Regardless of how cheap the labor is, and I don't think that it is, you can't really argue with the results.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
poo poo, really? I didn't know they were based in the US. :downs:

If that being the case I'll just put it down to their fanbase being loving crazy more than anything, then.

vvvvv - Oh right! Just using the terms I've seen brought up by others. Presumably they mean American developers (Bethesda teams and Bioware seem to be the most frequent comparisons).

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 7, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They aren't, they are Polish. I meant are you referring to American devs when you say "western"? See the thing is "western devs" generally includes both the Americas and Europe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Another awful crazy person reason to think are CD Projekt pretty cool

quote:

Full Combat Rebalance 2

One of the most prominent modders of the first Witcher, Andrzej Kwiatkowski (modding scene nickname – Flash), who’s currently working with us as a Gameplay Designer, is finishing his own mod that tweaks the combat and alters some parts of gameplay of The Witcher 2. Here are just a few features that his upcoming mod will include:

- overall purpose of the mod is to increase Geralt’s responsiveness and mobility
- Geralt can parry attacks while he’s walking and running (new animations)
- Geralt reacts faster to keyboard/gamepad buttons
- active block was replaced by active Quen
- during heavy battle Geralt uses pirouettes and focus (new animations)
- difficulty levels were rebalanced
- Geralt does not “bump” away from opponent’s swords when his attacks are parried which allows quick continuation of the attack sequence
- opponents explode when particular attacks are used, e.g. Igni causes opponent explosion, just like in The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition intro
- elixirs have negative influence

Flash said that he will release this awesome mod in the next two weeks. Personally, I can’t wait!

tl;dr Official Witcher 2 mod by current Witcher 3 gameplay designer, former modder, revamping battle system, retooled looting and leveling, includes new animations (probably taken from their work on W3?). Also, exploding igni-fied enemies.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rinkles posted:

tl;dr Official Witcher 2 mod by current Witcher 3 gameplay designer, former modder, revamping battle system, retooled looting and leveling, includes new animations (probably taken from their work on W3?). Also, exploding igni-fied enemies.

This dude got a job with CDPR for his first Full Combat Rebalance mod for the Witcher, this poo poo's gonna be baller

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Being self-published also gives them a lot of freedom to do things that American devs simply can't. Things like releasing a PC-exclusive RPG with no paid DLC and then continuing to support it with patches and additional content for years afterwards.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the main reasons why their games are so refreshing have to be 1) They are their own publishers (CD Projekt was and remains a Central European video game distribution company) 2) They get inspiration from different sources than their colleagues, and so their games don't feel lie another tired rehashing of Tolkien.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Flash's combat for TW1 was awesome. This is going to own.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goddammit I have done two and three half playthroughs of this game, and NOW they awesomeify the combat?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Goddammit I have done two and three half playthroughs of this game, and NOW they awesomeify the combat?

I'm only partway through my second playthrough. I might as well just wait for this and start over instead. Wasn't that far into act 2 spoiler Iorveth's path anyway...

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Just finished Witcher 2 for the first time because of this thread. That game was great.

I hope Witcher 3 feels a little smoother, but everything else about this game is tops. Definitely looking forward to the next one. I usually play games like this in a min/max style that on reflection isn't the most fun sometimes. But playing this game for max boobs is awesome, all the time.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rinkles posted:

I can say, without hyperbole, that my excitement is unseemly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rinkles posted:

So can we retrieve this same dude from the future to apply The Witcher 4's combat system to The Witcher 3 before The Witcher 3 is released??

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
We really have no idea when not even if Witcher 4 will exist because from what it sounds like they're doing with Cyberpunk we may have the conclusion of the Witcher series with this upcoming one.

Any article on music development for Witcher 3? Something I think was better from Witcher 1 to 2 was the music. Witcher 2's pacing isn't the same and just re-doing the same soundtrack twice would be stupid, but I think open world should affect the soundtrack more than going from lowish to big budget action budget. A game that was real mediocre but somewhat saved by its soundtrack was Darksiders 2, so a similarly appropriate soundtrack for an actually good game would be the tits.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

necrobobsledder posted:

We really have no idea when not even if Witcher 4 will exist because from what it sounds like they're doing with Cyberpunk we may have the conclusion of the Witcher series with this upcoming one.

I think I remember they said in an interview with RPS that this would be the end of the Geralt story, but that they may be inclined to explore the setting with another character in the future.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I think I remember they said in an interview with RPS that this would be the end of the Geralt story, but that they may be inclined to explore the setting with another character in the future.

On that note, have they said anything about Tedd Dereid? Given how much the first game revolved around the upcoming End Times it would be weird not to return to it. But to have thate AND Yennefer AND Cirri AND the wild hunt AND nilfgaard is an awful lot of plot for one gamr

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All those other things besides the "End of the world" motive seem to be converging nicely into a single climax. It seems to me that they tried to innovate the setting in the first game by focusing on the apocalyptic prophecy, but then decided to abandon it in favor of more explicitly expanding on the original plot line.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's why it is going to be open world. :shepface:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Vernon Roche: The Game! :syoon:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Qwo posted:

Vernon Roche and Thaler in the Streets of Vizima

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Qwo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Here's Geralt modeling some utilitarian designs from de Tansarville's elegant Fall '73 Collection.

Which is precisely what Geralt will need when he spends the night on the town in such vibrant locales as:

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
Just bought my copy. Oh man...3 looks sooo good. I bet the storyline will kick rear end.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Man, the Witcher's art design is so frequently stunning (well, at least compared to what else is out there). I can't help but worry a little there's going to be concessions for the supposedly larger-than-Skyrim gameworld, but at least the towns/castles will be pretty. :unsmith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

I've seen a lot of people frantically masturbating over how the developers do "much more than :smug: western developers :smug:" with a smaller budget, but is that down to their skill as developers or eastern European game development being cheap as gently caress? Not disputing the quality but CD Projekt's fanbase drives me nuts.

In addition to other things being said, it probably helps that CD Projekt is simply a much smaller company than the ones it's being compared to. As companies scale in size they become far less financially efficient due to rapidly increasing overhead, so there's a point of diminishing returns.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Maybe I'll finally finish Witcher 2 with the combat rebalance mod.

Also:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No, Geralt, don't have sex with the mermaid. These are probably the evil versions that pull you down into the depths to drown you.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

:siren: Witcher 3 1080p trailer here: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_G6XiHoUA

And here's the secret message...

ed: and here's the first developer diary, which all but confirms that Ciri will appear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGhm0H7d68

vvvv No worries, I'm sure you can REDkit it!

Leb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Geralt doesn't appear to have the Blue Coat's tattoo on his neck. My heart is broken.

• Locked thread