Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

Delta Green is actually Pagan Publishing, and getting it's own system, which just seems kind of dumb and reactionary now that we know 7e is backwards compatible. But when they announced DG as it's own game nobody knew what to expect from Call.

Oh, interesting. Last I'd heard they were making it 7th Ed compatible, I didn't realize it was getting a standalone system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh, interesting. Last I'd heard they were making it 7th Ed compatible, I didn't realize it was getting a standalone system.

This was also to avoid some of the licensing issues from Chaosium, who are famously draconian in the number of supplements they will allow you to publish and how you publish them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Want a Cthulhu strategy game where the goal is your cult leading the destruction of the world? Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter has you covered!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Peas and Rice posted:

Want a Cthulhu strategy game where the goal is your cult leading the destruction of the world? Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter has you covered!

That is a kickstarter with some amazing production values, looks incredibly polished and reminiscent of Chaos in the Old World, I'm in. Those are some fantastic minis with crossover play for the RPG as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Peas and Rice posted:

Hello actual good KS for this kind of game, thank you.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The price for a complete game is pretty steep, but you get a fuckload of minis and the early bird specials take quite a bit off.

Also, it's a Sandy Peterson game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I was able to get in at the $115 level and feel it was a fair price.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Peas and Rice posted:

Now that is how you do a Kickstarter campaign.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cthulhu Wars has me confused- do they want to do thirteen $48 expansions? That seems incredibly ambitious. I got in at the early bird, and am actually more excited about this than I was at first.

The 7e kickstarter has ninja edited some Spanish art into the main page, with the caption indicating Spanish edition art is now available for then to use. But this isn't indicated anywhere else, so maybe it's a leaked stretch goal? This loving thing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wow - the 7e and the board game are the only two Kickstarters I've ever been compelled to donate too.

Is...is Kickstarter a cult? :ohdear:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CobiWann posted:

Is...is Kickstarter a cult? :ohdear:

It's people donating money to personalities based on promised long-term rewards that the personality has no legal responsibility to fulfill.

So.. yes? At the very least, it's Swaggart-esque.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Peas and Rice posted:

It's people donating money to personalities based on promised long-term rewards that the personality has no legal responsibility to fulfill.

So.. yes? At the very least, it's Swaggart-esque.

So...political groups are a cult? Churches are a cult? Domino's Pizza is a cult?

Welp, it was a nice run. Going to go set up my shrine to the King in Yellow now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CobiWann posted:

So...political groups are a cult? Churches are a cult? Domino's Pizza is a cult?

Yes, of course, and how do you know it ISN'T??

It would be the perfect way to get people to perform a mass ritual without them knowing every Friday night.

In fact, that's a hell of an idea for my next DG game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

Welp, it was a nice run. Going to go set up my shrine to the King in Yellow now.
Pretty sure domino's is legally obligated to bring a pizza to my door if I give them money for it. And yes, all churches are cults, we just don't call them that after enough time/big enough headcount.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So as part of my work, I end up checking/editing some pretty funny/awful/interesting translations to English.

One in particular involves Looney Tunes...

...The translator called the show "Gugs Bunny". Cue some comical/grotesque fusion of a Gug and Bugs Bunny.

I suddenly feel compelled to collect/give $300 to them so I can add "Gugs Bunny" to the rulebook.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Peas and Rice posted:

Yes, of course, and how do you know it ISN'T??

It would be the perfect way to get people to perform a mass ritual without them knowing every Friday night.

In fact, that's a hell of an idea for my next DG game.

I once had an idea for a modern adventure involving a Yu-Gi-Oh!-esque CCG marketed to children that you could use to summon Mythos entities, but I never did anything with it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter just bundled the maps and the expansions together into two bundles as add-ons.

And this is on top of the money I pledged for the leather-bound editions of the Core Rulebook and the Player's Guide for 7e.

For God's sake, stop me before I pledge again! :shepspends:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wow you must hate money! I backed down to the PDFs on 7th, and am ready to cancel my Cthulhu Wars pledge.

CW is just getting too expensive to get "everything" and the rewards suck at the earlybird level. There's no way I'd play enough to justify spending what I'd like to on it. :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moths posted:

Wow you must hate money! I backed down to the PDFs on 7th, and am ready to cancel my Cthulhu Wars pledge.

CW is just getting too expensive to get "everything" and the rewards suck at the earlybird level. There's no way I'd play enough to justify spending what I'd like to on it. :(

My friends and I love Cthulhu/Lovecraft. Every RPG campaign we play ends up with tinges of it.

I pledged for the base CW and the first expansion, and if my friends and I like it and we play it monthly during "Board Games and Booze Night," then I can justify getting an expansion or two. We play "Arkham Horror" six times a year, so if we play CW about as often, it'll be worth it. The leatherette stuff for 7th is just too cool to pass up. One of the perks of being an adult with disposable income is being able to splurge now and again as long as it's just now and again.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 13, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think with the 7e it's just too much of a mystery box for me to invest too heavily. It's been my favorite RPG for (oh god) a little over twenty years now, but I'm staying with the PDFs until we know more about the book quality.

If you're got the extra money and a receptive group, Cthulhu Wars is probably worth it. I'm trying to build up my savings, and it would be way too easy to spend a month's rent on it - and that's enough reason for me to walk away. I've got enough coffin boxes of games that don't get played.

E: It sounds like you're exactly where I was in life before all my friends (and I) lost all our overlapping leisure time. Enjoy that!

moths fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 13, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moths posted:

I think with the 7e it's just too much of a mystery box for me to invest too heavily. It's been my favorite RPG for (oh god) a little over twenty years now, but I'm staying with the PDFs until we know more about the book quality.

If you're got the extra money and a receptive group, Cthulhu Wars is probably worth it. I'm trying to build up my savings, and it would be way too easy to spend a month's rent on it - and that's enough reason for me to walk away. I've got enough coffin boxes of games that don't get played.

E: It sounds like you're exactly where I was in life before all my friends (and I) lost all our overlapping leisure time. Enjoy that!

We have no overlapping leisure time. Our fun is forced, scheduled and mandatory for the sake of our sanity.

I'm willing to shell out in advance if I believe I'm supporting what will be a quality product in the end, even if it's burned me a few times. 7th could be crap, could not be, but I'm willing to roll the dice on it. Part of it is that I am not a fan of PDF's. I'm am a "book in hand" guy, even as everyone else has every book and supplement for our current campaign (7th Sea, which, again, is tinged with Cthulhu elements) on their Kindles/iPads and there I am with my stack of books. I need that physical something to hold and flip through. Books marks, rips, and creases are a sign that a book is well-used and well-loved.

This is also how I play most of my PC's as well. My gaming group jokes that the next time we play Cthulhu, my PC has to take Illiterate.

Illiterate (English), Illeriate (French), Illiterate (Spanish), Illiterate (Latin), Illiterate (Farsi)...

Edit - Wow. CW is blowing through their stretch goals and unlocks even as I'm posting. That's insane. Wonder if this is something people might start playing at their local gaming store or conventions.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 14, 2013

ChocolateMoose
Feb 10, 2011
I'm regretting not getting the Early Bird-Cultes des Goules Tier when I could, but even for regular 240$ (+ internat. shipping) CW is quite the steal.
It's probably the cheapest way to get a shitload of cthuloid miniatures with a (hopefully decent) boardgame and with the ever expanding strechgoals you get more and more stuff.
I mean, there are still 23 days to go - I wouldn't be surprised if the thing cracks 1 Million Dollars.
Sure, it's not cheap but having played Warhammer I'm used to spend a lot of money for some plastic minis.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So how many of you guys incorporate other BRP games or rules into your Call of Cthulhu campaigns? My friends told me they wanted to try CoC since it looms so large in the history of the hobby, but they didn't want to play a game where "stubbing their toes calls for a SAN roll", so I'm doing Clark Ashton Smith/Lord Dunsany influenced fantasy horror. The investigators are exploring another planet, and it's going to evolve into something a touch more heroic than standard CoC. I'm incorporating some stuff from Elric! which is pretty much the same thing as Stormbringer 5e. Am I the only one who does stuff like this? Are there any other BRP sources I should have a look at?

Also, is this sort of game viable in Trail of Cthulhu?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 14, 2013

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The Dreamlands sourcebook has a lot of fantastical/weird stuff in it, I would check that out.

If they don't want easy SAN losses but still want to be in the 1920s, make them war veterans who have seen a thousand dudes die of poison gas and who give no fucks about corpses.

Venerable Monk
Jun 28, 2012

God drat Cthulhu Wars looks like its going to be awesome.

Anyways, I wanted to get into CoC with a group of friends. A few questions:

1. Do you guys recommend BRP or D20? We are familiar with D20 rules from d&d but if BRP serves the theme better, thats totally fine.
2. (for BRP) Is the Quick Start Cthulhu packet good enough for now, or should i get the core rulebook (or wait until 7th edition)
3. Any consensus on what the best pre-written adventures for 1920's CoC are?

I don't mind modern settings, but there's something about the 1920's that seems so fundamentally attached to the mythos. Gives it that authentic feel for me I guess. Maybe its the nostalgia from reading the works too much.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Someone tell me CoC has an Africa supplement and it's good/not racist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not true to the spirit of Lovecraft then. Everyone knows his views of the Negroid race, such as their fervent cult of Cthulhu in their primitive mud huts.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Ettin posted:

Someone tell me CoC has an Africa supplement and it's good/not racist.

Secrets of Kenya is a thing that exists, but I haven't read it, so I have no idea if it's good or not (though the other Secrets Of books I've read have been hit or miss at best).

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The Morocco book misses a lot of opportunities both for racism and for awesomeness, so I would expect Kenya to be the same way.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Not true to the spirit of Lovecraft then. Everyone knows his views of the Negroid race, such as their fervent cult of Cthulhu in their primitive mud huts.

Lovecraft's racism was more a weird thing that was aimed against the South - that seemed to be his big problem, not specifically that black people were black per se, but that they were "so darn Southern". Like, half the crazy cultists in his stories were inbred Southern hicks, or Southern-"style" backwoods people, like the guy from Beyond the Wall of Sleep who was of Catskills mountain man stock. I say this not to excuse the man at all but to point out that his racism and prejudice were laser focused and really, really odd, especially to modern people.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 17, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't presume to mod, but Lovecraft's racism is a potential powder-keg of derail. And we're actually in a rare time when multiple exciting Cthulhu-related things are happening in gaming.

In case you missed it in the Steals and Deals thread, YSDC is giving away an early build of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion! Over five hundred and fifty pages to augment your Masks campaign. Free! They're doing this to celebrate 15 years of YSDC, which possibly makes them one of the longest-standing game-sites online.

And it looks like 7e is going full color, according to the layout guy's blog. This will create a delay, and some people are melting down about it because it's any change at all, but I applaud steps that push them towards production values similar to games that people actually buy.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Anyone else looked into "Eternal Lies" for Trail of Cthulhu? I dived in for the pre-purchase, which nets you the unfinished PDF for early reading and I must admit... it's a drat fine campaign. Very well constructed, with a surprisingly active (and secret - I won't spoil it here) Great Old One for the investigators to oppose.

And a great twist, too.

It's also uncomfortable. Some very skin crawling horror to inflict on the investigators.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I got the pre-order as well, and I absolutely love it. I've been hoping for a big hardcover Pulp mode campaign, and here it is, better than I could have expected. Despite its length, it's got a lot of variety, and gives the players plenty of opportunities to make meaningful choices. And the twist is absolutely beautiful. Trail really is getting all the good new books these days.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I grabbed the Eternal Lies pre-order bundle with the soundtrack while it was available. I haven't read over it yet, I just can't read vast amounts on the PC and I don't have the convenience of a tablet either. I'll wait until the book arrives before diving in, but I am very excited (and going by the posts above me it sounds better than I have anticipated).

I have listened to the soundtrack and I quite like it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Goddamnit I don't have a fixed address to have the book sent to yet BUT I WANT TO READ THE PDF NOW NOW NOW WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT:rant:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Venerable Monk posted:

God drat Cthulhu Wars looks like its going to be awesome.

Anyways, I wanted to get into CoC with a group of friends. A few questions:

1. Do you guys recommend BRP or D20? We are familiar with D20 rules from d&d but if BRP serves the theme better, thats totally fine.
2. (for BRP) Is the Quick Start Cthulhu packet good enough for now, or should i get the core rulebook (or wait until 7th edition)
3. Any consensus on what the best pre-written adventures for 1920's CoC are?

I don't mind modern settings, but there's something about the 1920's that seems so fundamentally attached to the mythos. Gives it that authentic feel for me I guess. Maybe its the nostalgia from reading the works too much.

1) I really advise BRP, D20 Cthulhu really doesn’t work very well, it adds a lot of embuggerance to running a CoC game that really doesn’t need to be there and BRP is much better for the feel of a Cthulhu game, also BRP is very simple to learn and quite hard to mess up.

2) I had a brief look through the quick start rules and everything you need to actually play is in there, though as far as i can see its missing the rules for specific skills (dodge/healing); though i would advise giving people 3 stat rolls and picking the one of their choice because you can just get rear end stat blocks. The rulebook mainly gives you as the keeper more resources, it also adds magic and som monster stats and some other stuff I cant immediately recall.

I would get 6th, its pretty reasonable as things go and there is a lot of quality supplements if you want to get into it, its also probably readily available second hand for cheap, 7th looks like its going to be significantly worse to me, or at least not worth the extra cost.

3) There are a lot of iconic adventures, Masks of Nyarlathotep is good, Return to Innsmouth is good, but to really give you some advice I'd need to know what kind of adventure you are looking for, (short or long, pulpy or gritty/lethal). The adventure in the quick start set is quite a good one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Polyakov posted:

1) I really advise BRP, D20 Cthulhu really doesn’t work very well, it adds a lot of embuggerance to running a CoC game that really doesn’t need to be there and BRP is much better for the feel of a Cthulhu game, also BRP is very simple to learn and quite hard to mess up.

2) I had a brief look through the quick start rules and everything you need to actually play is in there, though as far as i can see its missing the rules for specific skills (dodge/healing); though i would advise giving people 3 stat rolls and picking the one of their choice because you can just get rear end stat blocks. The rulebook mainly gives you as the keeper more resources, it also adds magic and som monster stats and some other stuff I cant immediately recall.

I would get 6th, its pretty reasonable as things go and there is a lot of quality supplements if you want to get into it, its also probably readily available second hand for cheap, 7th looks like its going to be significantly worse to me, or at least not worth the extra cost.

BRP is incredibly backwards compatible too, pretty much any CoC book ever released will be easily usable with the latest stuff. Also the other BRP games and supplements.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is true that the Basic Role-Playing system is pretty great given how old its fundamental mechanics are, and I do recommend using it if possible--but I also would point out that since your group is already seemingly quite experienced with D20, you could certainly run a one-shot "what... means... 'Cthulhu'?" game for them to get the feel for it using rules they are already familiar with, which would then give them a better understanding of why it is that some of those incredibly-useless-sounding(-to-new-players) skills in the original system are actually profoundly useful.

Yes, or you could just tell them "this is useful because monsters," but I am a firm advocate of running a set-up one-shot before embarking on any campaign to get people invested in the world (or "era" in this case) before making characters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Their experience with d20 is why I would recommend not using the d20 system. CoC is a very different atmosphere to D&D, using a derivative of it makes it more likely for them to carry across certain assumptions. Like monsters being for attacking rather than running the gently caress away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just ordered the Laundry rulebook on a whim. I loved the books and the game sounds pretty great; can someone who has played recommend an appropriate number of players? I figure more than about 4 is probably too many for a good Lovecraftian story, and the Laundry novels tended to be 1 or 2 people in action at a time, but maybe bigger groups work well too?