Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Did you click the apps tab?

I don't see it? All that shows up when I open a new tab is my eight most visited sites and a search field (which seems kinda redundant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woahhhhhhh this new menu layout is lovely.

Anytime I search, a new tab opens and the bookmark bar is nowhere to be found.

EDIT: I installed a user-agent switcher, and if you change it to something like "Windows Safari 4" the search menus go back to normal and you're not chained to the Omnibox

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I've just been upgraded to version 27 (I'm on the normal update stream because the updater chokes my poor single-core computer to the point that I can't browse). Suddenly the preloader is doing unpleasant things. For example, if I launch a google search for "rebel girl", google predicts that I will want the top search result, which happens to be a youtube clip of the song called "rebel girl". It then preloads that page, and starts playing the song. When I close the search results tab, the preload continues playing in the background - chrome task manager is the only way to stop it.

Could this be related to having plugins set to click-to-load? It seems like extremely undesirable behaviour. I have found the settings that let you disable all prefetching and predictive network behaviour, but that seems a bit much. Is there a way to prevent chrome from rendering the page in the background, but keep the other features active?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Why is Chrome so lovely at gif animations?

I have no idea and it's gotten even worse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Heavy_D posted:

I've just been upgraded to version 27 (I'm on the normal update stream because the updater chokes my poor single-core computer to the point that I can't browse). Suddenly the preloader is doing unpleasant things. For example, if I launch a google search for "rebel girl", google predicts that I will want the top search result, which happens to be a youtube clip of the song called "rebel girl". It then preloads that page, and starts playing the song. When I close the search results tab, the preload continues playing in the background - chrome task manager is the only way to stop it.

Could this be related to having plugins set to click-to-load? It seems like extremely undesirable behaviour. I have found the settings that let you disable all prefetching and predictive network behaviour, but that seems a bit much. Is there a way to prevent chrome from rendering the page in the background, but keep the other features active?

This is why you SHOULD have click to play enabled. Then flash and poo poo doesn't even load until you specifically activate it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The Lord Bude posted:

This is why you SHOULD have click to play enabled. Then flash and poo poo doesn't even load until you specifically activate it.
I do. That's what makes it doubly irritating - normally when I open a youtube tab the video doesn't play until I click, and now I'm getting youtube videos that I haven't even clicked on playing in an invisible tab!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

EDIT: I installed a user-agent switcher, and if you change it to something like "Windows Safari 4" the search menus go back to normal and you're not chained to the Omnibox

Yeah, what the hell is this? Now if you search from the address bar or from the google search box in a new tab, the search box disappears on the page and you have to use the omnibox. That's... ok I guess since it saves a bit of space. But why would they hide the bookmark bar? Did they not consider that I would want to go to one of my bookmarks from a google results page?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ctrl+shift+b brings up your bookmarks bar anytime you need it though?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

EugeneJ posted:

It's horrible. You can turn it off in chrome://flags - I think the one to disable is the "Enable Instant extended API" option.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Why did they remove the google drive gadget from Gmail?

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Is there a way to be able to scroll left and right through your list of tabs with the mousewheel like in Firefox, instead of have them shrink so much you can't read the titles?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Pottsdam posted:

Is there a way to be able to scroll left and right through your list of tabs with the mousewheel like in Firefox, instead of have them shrink so much you can't read the titles?

If you type about :flags there's an option for stacked tabs you might want to look at. This addon has an option to be able to scroll through your tabs.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Not Chrome related, but Google related: Has anyone received the unified storage capacities or Wallet send money features yet? I'd actually like to send someone some money, but I have no desire to give my banking details to PayPal or other services if I don't have to.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

Yeah, what the hell is this? Now if you search from the address bar or from the google search box in a new tab, the search box disappears on the page and you have to use the omnibox. That's... ok I guess since it saves a bit of space. But why would they hide the bookmark bar? Did they not consider that I would want to go to one of my bookmarks from a google results page?

Consider using one of the many addons that give you access to your bookmarks from a pull down menu that you access by clicking an icon. Then you never have to waste space with a bookmark bar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FunOne posted:

Not Chrome related, but Google related: Has anyone received the unified storage capacities or Wallet send money features yet? I'd actually like to send someone some money, but I have no desire to give my banking details to PayPal or other services if I don't have to.

I haven't. But I'm on a Google Apps account, so I probably won't get that poo poo until next year. Which makes absolutely no sense. You'd think new features would roll out to Google Apps users first, but NOPE.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

Consider using one of the many addons that give you access to your bookmarks from a pull down menu that you access by clicking an icon. Then you never have to waste space with a bookmark bar.

That doesn't fit the same need/use case as the bookmark bar.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

I have an HTPC and the bookmark bar is convenient beyond belief.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone have problems with Chrome & amazon.com? I sometimes have pages that will not load, or will only partially load. I have to hit refresh a few times to get it to work. This doesn't not happen anywhere else and I'm not running any kind of proxy or security software. Only extension I have on the pages is Adblock, but disabling it doesn't fix it. And the problem persists in incognito, so it isn't related to cookies or cache.

Any ideas?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

FunOne posted:

I've been waiting for this as well, and no I haven't seen it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FunOne posted:

You get Wallet money-sending features if someone sends you money (it can be as little as a penny). There's a Google Doc for goons to get in on the action.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is it possible to unsync a computer (meaning it removes all your bookmarks etc. on just that machine) that you've logged into Chrome on with your Google account?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

kri kri posted:

I have no idea and it's gotten even worse.

Probably to get webp adoption up or something.

WebKit browsers have all been lovely with gifs for me (safari/chrome/ios safari)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is it possible to unsync a computer (meaning it removes all your bookmarks etc. on just that machine) that you've logged into Chrome on with your Google account?

Simplest way is to trash the profile folder.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

You get Wallet money-sending features if someone sends you money (it can be as little as a penny). There's a Google Doc for goons to get in on the action.

What thread is that from? I don't think anyone is checking it these days.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe this is a known bug/feature, but I don't know how to disable it: Basically when I zoom a pinned tab, all the other pinned tabs get zoomed as well. Any way to change this?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I'm curious about the power consumption of using flash vs h.264. Using Youtube's HTML5 trial, would I see power savings by using HTML5 since h.264 is supported by the hardware?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bsaber posted:

I'm curious about the power consumption of using flash vs h.264. Using Youtube's HTML5 trial, would I see power savings by using HTML5 since h.264 is supported by the hardware?

I believe that most relatively recent versions of Flash support hardware accelerated H.264 playback, so if there are any gains, I don't know if it would be from that necessarily (Flash on its own isn't exactly a lightweight when it comes to processing power).

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
^Ah, that's good to know.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there anyway to limit how much RAM Chrome gives each tab? Because this is SA after about an hour of surfing, and I've had it hit twice this before multiple times:

It's not too bad on desktop, but on my netbook with 2GB RAM I have to restart Chrome constantly to stop it from bogging down even with only the forums and Facebook open, it's insane.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's not insanity, it's the reality of 2013. It's unreasonable to have a computer with only 2gb of Ram and expect it to run acceptably, when the norm is 4gb or really even 8gb.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
RAM use doesn't have a multiplier based on what year it is, a message board using almost 1GB of RAM after an hour is just bad memory management.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, I have Chrome open nearly all the time, go several days between reboots (my current uptime is just over 52 hours, not including standby), and my CPU and memory usage is only about half that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, I'll go hunting through my plugins and poo poo and see if there's a leak there then. I figured it was Chrome itself since it happened after an update on two different computers, but I guess not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

RAM use doesn't have a multiplier based on what year it is, a message board using almost 1GB of RAM after an hour is just bad memory management.

There may or may not be a problem with your memory usage, but it is quite reasonable for a web browser to use more ram now than a year ago or 10 years ago. Software developers expect the average amount of RAM in a computer to increase as time goes by and either use it to do more or spend less developer time optimizing memory usage. Both of those are quite reasonable options.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

My total memory usage is 950MB, extensions and plugins included, with 9 SA threads open, so 750MB for just one reply form seems a bit excessive. Dude probably does have a leak.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It happens if you leave chrome open for like a week or something. I only shut the PC down once a month or so and my Ram usage with chrome permanently open approaches 4gigs or so by the time I shut down.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, looks like it's AdBlock leaking. I switched from ABP to AdBlock because of a leak in the first place. :\

beze
Sep 7, 2005

Now! With 25% More Stupid!

datajosh posted:

It's horrible. You can turn it off in chrome://flags - I think the one to disable is the "Enable Instant extended API" option.

That's the one! Thanks! Came here to moan about this. They changed it last week, on me anyway. Really, really annoying.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not strictly chrome related but how in the hell do I remove a Youtube channel subscription of a person who has their channel removed? I obviously can't do it from the page since there is non, and manage subs only shows active people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

kri kri posted:

Not strictly chrome related but how in the hell do I remove a Youtube channel subscription of a person who has their channel removed? I obviously can't do it from the page since there is non, and manage subs only shows active people.

There is a hack I figured out myself which involves finding out the subscription IDs of the now deleted channel, finding an unsubscribe button on another channel, then using Inspect Element to change the latter's values to the former. It's a bit of an awkward hack, to be honest.