Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Do I need to change specs or gear or macros or actually learn how to play?

Macros are helpful if used right, have a few specs that you can use for different situations especially if you plan on raiding, better gear will come naturally I would focus on the few gear 'humps' you have to get over like the +hit requirement for dungeons/raiding.

Learning how to play will enhance all of the above.

Pretending your post was serious, which it probably wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Edit: My friend said this about the cash store.
Rfit's cash store is surprisingly cheap. It's in testing right now, and they're basically giving you free money for testing it. Buy and spend credits on test, everything gets reimbursed when the store goes live, and any credits you spent get reimbursed 50-100% on live. An extra 50-100%, rather.

Is that true?

That is true, yes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Alright well I give up on trying to get an adorable baby raptr pet, but man, I'm glad to hear that the game is F2P early now. I can't wait to dust off my 42 mage. Not impressive, but he was a hell of a lot of fun.

Edit: My friend said this about the cash store.
Rfit's cash store is surprisingly cheap. It's in testing right now, and they're basically giving you free money for testing it. Buy and spend credits on test, everything gets reimbursed when the store goes live, and any credits you spent get reimbursed 50-100% on live. An extra 50-100%, rather.

Is that true?

It's true, here's the source:

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-test-shard/360871-free-play-store-test-earn-up-double-your-credits.html

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'll give this game a shot. I would like an invite as Birdland.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for the Mage tips! I think I am going to level as Necro and maybe fiddle with Pyro or Warlock too.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
This is Karx.

I've decided to basically shelf Rift til I can get a rig capable of running it at more than the lowest graphics. I had a lot of fun talking poo poo with you guys in gchat, and I'll be back eventually so don't kick me. :bigtran:

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Zoness posted:

I'll be honest I'm a lot happier with council as opposed to limited free roll but maybe that's because I'm weird but I can also see how a council system might not work really well for a more casual raid group.

Honestly, I wasn't even happy doing council loot for TI's alt ID/HK runs. It just didn't feel really fair when half to a quarter of our raid changed every week. I wanted to reward people who continually came, but also newcomers who did well and I wasn't always happy with the choices we made. I mean, we needed to give gear to the people who came every week obviously so we could carry the alt run even better (and so they'd be willing to come again and again), but I still felt like a dick giving loot to a vet over a new person. It definitely works a lot better when you know who exactly is coming every week that way you can evenly give out the gear. If you look at everyone in guild, they're almost all 4 or 5 relic gear pieces now (six on one or two of our tanks.)

zerocrash fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 7, 2013

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Trying this out again, in as Chyea.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Never mind I'm bad at dates

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 7, 2013

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Returning dude in as Castamere. Figure I better roll a new toon since I forgot how to play my old one.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I am not close to raid ready as I am only level 57 but I am interested in raiding. I have experience in Hammerknell, Greenscale's Blight, and River of Souls, and I don't mind doing bitch duty like Archon.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Hey, whoever made the bag swastika in the guild bank, don't do that unless you're going to throw a ton of cloth in there for those of us who provide you shits with free 18+ slot bags. I don't feel like looking through it carefully for various pieces of cloth to use.

Also, on that note, please start dropping any Silk, Spellspun Silk, Witchweave, or any of the SL cloth into the bag thing instead of the crafting JUNK tab. We will turn it into bags for you. Alternatively, if you want some SL 24, 26, or 28 slot bags just let an outfitter know and we'll tell you how much cloth we need per bag.

p.s. don't take the 18+ bags for your lovely alts, those are for newbie mains. Take the under 18s for your lovely alts, and remember to pay it forward in cloth for newbies to get good bags.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Keshik posted:

Hey, whoever made the bag swastika in the guild bank, don't do that unless you're going to throw a ton of cloth in there for those of us who provide you shits with free 18+ slot bags. I don't feel like looking through it carefully for various pieces of cloth to use.

Also, on that note, please start dropping any Silk, Spellspun Silk, Witchweave, or any of the SL cloth into the bag thing instead of the crafting JUNK tab. We will turn it into bags for you. Alternatively, if you want some SL 24, 26, or 28 slot bags just let an outfitter know and we'll tell you how much cloth we need per bag.

p.s. don't take the 18+ bags for your lovely alts, those are for newbie mains. Take the under 18s for your lovely alts, and remember to pay it forward in cloth for newbies to get good bags.

I literally dropped like 300 spellspun silk in there (JUNK) a few weeks ago are those all gone @_@.

Let me check my other alts I used to be up to my some really high body part in spellspun.

Oraculum Animi posted:

I am not close to raid ready as I am only level 57 but I am interested in raiding. I have experience in Hammerknell, Greenscale's Blight, and River of Souls, and I don't mind doing bitch duty like Archon.

I don't see why people see Archon as a bitch role when being a good Archon has a huge bearing on whether your raid kills a progression fight or not. The roles you don't double up on are more important not less important. If anything, being a good Archon is rather tough because you want to manage your charge for power draining and want to track when best to use flaring power in a raid situation while packing good utility.

Being a good Archon is something to be proud of.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 7, 2013

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Zoness posted:

I literally dropped like 300 spellspun silk in there (JUNK) a few weeks ago are those all gone @_@.

Let me check my other alts I used to be up to my some really high body part in spellspun.

I drop off all of my cloth since I have no use for it. We've just had an influx of new & returning players that they up and vanish quite quickly. We had over 50 people on the other day!

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
How does everyone currently playing, think the free to play will affect new players and old coming back to the game. Things are really getting slim for the Trion staff actually working on Rift. Currently, approximately 30 people actually working on the game. As an example, Former forum people are now working as devs on some features.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Vendictus Prime posted:

As an example, Former forum people are now working as devs on some features.

Who is this example? Where are you getting the 30 people number from?

e: Wait, are you our first j4g?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Looks more like an Eve spy who also wants to play Rift.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Keshik posted:

Looks more like an Eve spy who also wants to play Rift.

Like Chelm but with less class.

edit:

That's an axe, not a polearm. Aren't I pretty?

Kreczor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 7, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I actually like playing archon, even if I'm probably not good because I don't raid often.

Also vandee can be I just post here instead of mailing you?

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
How is the housing system in this game compared to Everquest 2? Or anything else really that you could compare it to.

I can get my wife back on board if it's pretty robust. I've tried checking out youtube/other sources but can't find anything that's a huge in-depth source for the drat thing. I was able to get the free starter one but didn't find anything in my bags to place (only found the drat thing a few days later).

Also been playing my level 50 cleric that I haven't played since a few months after launch....severely behind, wondering what the gently caress I am doing...most likely going to start fresh on the 12th or soon after just so I can re-learn everything.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Farts posted:

How is the housing system in this game compared to Everquest 2? Or anything else really that you could compare it to.

Go to kerrzhe's dimension. It looks like a setpiece from a AAA big budget game. You can do a shitload with it. I don't have any eq2 experience to compare it to though.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Check out dimensions. From what I hear it is pretty nice but I haven't played any other game with housing so I have no clue

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Farts posted:

I was able to get the free starter one but didn't find anything in my bags to place (only found the drat thing a few days later).

There's a quest you have to do from the person who gives you the starter key that gives you a few items to place.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Pigeonfish:

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zMtMTmvlcocGpMutRgozvVcMz

Dump points 50-60 into assassin.

Buffs:
Planebound Resilience
Lethal Poison (replace with Malicious Poison at 53)
Leeching Poison
Curative Engine

Macros

Spam
#show Savage Strike
suppressmacrofailures
cast Shadow Assault
cast Backstab
cast Savage Strike
cast Break Free

Thread of Death (use this for burst, Jagged Strike hits like a truck and you get 3 CP)
#show Thread of Death
suppressmacrofailues
cast Thread of Death
cast Jagged Strike

You might want to make one of these macros for Paralyzing Strike too if you need some extra CC.

Separate Keys:
Impale
Savage Blow
Serpent Strike (you can macro it into your spam but you'll kill much more quickly if you leave it out and learn to use it when it procs)
Enduring Brew
Poison Malice
Slip Away
Hidden Veil

You can pretty much take any at-level (maybe +1) mob 1v1, including elites. This spec has no AoE, but kills decently quickly anyway and will basically never die unless you have like 4 things beating on you (and then you pop Slip Away). Open from stealth with Expose Weakness -> Jagged Strike (obviously don't wait for EW to come off cooldown if it's not already up). Don't ever use Assassinate it sucks. Also remember you have Incapacitate to keep pulls clean!

You should probably take the CC talents (Foul Play, Blinding Powder) first, then Magnify Pain, then Debilitating Poison as your last point because it's kind of worthless when leveling.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dimensions are extremely powerful, you can do lots of interesting things with them.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Zoness posted:

I don't see why people see Archon as a bitch role when being a good Archon has a huge bearing on whether your raid kills a progression fight or not. The roles you don't double up on are more important not less important. If anything, being a good Archon is rather tough because you want to manage your charge for power draining and want to track when best to use flaring power in a raid situation while packing good utility.

I meant it more in that I hear a lot of people consider it boring. I like doing the more boring, support-style roles that don't get top DPS on the meters. When I raided I was our guild's archon or extra healer. Rarely did I DPS and I didn't mind.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I took 3 18-slot bags; I didn't leave anything in return, but I'm not high enough level to encounter silk. Do you want us to put in the lowbie level materials we grab too? Also, is there food/items in the AH that increase XP gain? I've been using those veteran reward xp potions, now I'm addicted.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zoness posted:

It's because a lot of people see being an Archon or Bard as a sign that your DPS isn't good enough to actually be put into a DPS role, so they get it into their head that support roles are some kind of punishment. I agree that a good archon can make or break the fight, though. I might have to learn it because from the one time I did it last night I really enjoyed it, and that way I could be a special snowflake. :v:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Madcosby posted:

I took 3 18-slot bags;

Why? It's ok to take 1, because that's what they're there for, but taking 3 is just being kind of a dick to any 2 guys that're in the same position than you are. Remember that you're not the only one that might need them, and since you won't be able to give nothing back for a while, don't abuse the fact that goons are generous to guildies.

I took 1 on one of my guys and that's it. Even if I'll probably level another one and maybe even make that one my alt, I'd feel bad taking another bag, since I know I won't be able to pay for it for a while.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone know much the Expansion Souls are going to be and is it worth picking up Storm Legion for them before F2P hits? GetGamesGo has SL for $10.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Do the raptr promo and get it for free.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Look as long as you're not taking bags out for personal profit or for all your alts it's okay, that last guy only got ridiculed because he turned around and placed them on the auction house.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Why? It's ok to take 1, because that's what they're there for, but taking 3 is just being kind of a dick to any 2 guys that're in the same position than you are. Remember that you're not the only one that might need them, and since you won't be able to give nothing back for a while, don't abuse the fact that goons are generous to guildies.

I took 1 on one of my guys and that's it. Even if I'll probably level another one and maybe even make that one my alt, I'd feel bad taking another bag, since I know I won't be able to pay for it for a while.

Actually, take 3. The limit on the bag tab is 3 for a reason. We can refill. My complaint was directed at the guy who made a mess, splitting stacks of cloth up and scattering them around in and amongst the bags in order to draw a swastika. I don't think the swastika is particularly funny, but my issue was only with the fact that this morning, it was a huge mess. One guy got super angry about my post above, but I think that had more to do with something else and he was looking for an excuse. I don't care, it's not a big deal. Everything is fine.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Thanks for this! I am bouncing between this one and the one that was linked to here: http://tinyurl.com/d847byn

The NB spec one is pretty tanky though and AoE, but I have to play around with both for a bit to see which one I like more.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Farts posted:

I can get my wife back on board if it's pretty robust. I've tried checking out youtube/other sources but can't find anything that's a huge in-depth source for the drat thing. I was able to get the free starter one but didn't find anything in my bags to place (only found the drat thing a few days later).

Also been playing my level 50 cleric that I haven't played since a few months after launch....severely behind, wondering what the gently caress I am doing...most likely going to start fresh on the 12th or soon after just so I can re-learn everything.

It's insanely robust. Take a look at Mouretsu's dimension sometime - he fished up like thirty boats and built some sort of horrific boat ladder to heaven, it is the most insane undertaking I have ever seen in an MMO housing.

You can fish up / buy entire buildings, boats, etc, but also individual pieces (planks of wood, floor tiles.) The dimension system was designed from the ground up around the idea that you'd use pieces to build large things, which makes sense if you've ever seen people design buildings on EQ2 - a lot of it is improvised, like "I took this carpet and stretched it out to twice room size to make a wall." The dimension designers straight up knew that was going to happen and so they added pieces specifically to be stretched to serve as floors / walls for custom buildings.

Also the controls are really, really easy to grasp. It's very visual - when you click on an object you get red / blue / green circles surrounding it for rotating, or red / blue / green arrow-lines for stretching.

Madcosby posted:

I took 3 18-slot bags; I didn't leave anything in return, but I'm not high enough level to encounter silk. Do you want us to put in the lowbie level materials we grab too?

Yeah, low level crafting material definitely helps. Don't just put it in though, if you want to level crafting use it. Otherwise the tab just gets clogged up with all sorts of stuff and then what will we do with our stacks of 99 grieveblossoms? I tried to put in ethereal dust this morning and there was no room! If only some low level people needed to make 99x2 augments or something.

Also if you are leveling Apothecary and are making dyes with stuff from the guild bank, consider putting them in the guild bank. If anyone is leveling apoth and can gain skill through dark magenta / magenta / dark cyan / cyan / dark seafoam green / seafoam green dyes, I'll pay for your non-guild bank components (vials, etc) if you'll throw them in the guild bank.

edit: also if you are bad at sorting through bags like me, there is actually an auto-sort button and a "search" button next to your bags! I always have to click search to find my rally scrolls.

That's another helpful new person hint: Always carry around some rally scrolls, just in case.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 7, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Seafoam green is the third best color after dark red and green.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I'd like an invite as Ismilla, eth rogue.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yeah, low level crafting material definitely helps. Don't just put it in though, if you want to level crafting use it. Otherwise the tab just gets clogged up with all sorts of stuff and then what will we do with our stacks of 99 grieveblossoms? I tried to put in ethereal dust this morning and there was no room! If only some low level people needed to make 99x2 augments or something.

Also if you are leveling Apothecary and are making dyes with stuff from the guild bank, consider putting them in the guild bank. If anyone is leveling apoth and can gain skill through dark magenta / magenta / dark cyan / cyan / dark seafoam green / seafoam green dyes, I'll pay for your non-guild bank components (vials, etc) if you'll throw them in the guild bank.

edit: also if you are bad at sorting through bags like me, there is actually an auto-sort button and a "search" button next to your bags! I always have to click search to find my rally scrolls.

That's another helpful new person hint: Always carry around some rally scrolls, just in case.

Seconding the dye suggestion, as you can see from this picture:

Dyes are extremely important if you need to make a pretty princess. Just don't try to one-up me. I'm all the power rangers combined.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

mr. nazi posted:

If anybody needs a code for rift/expansion/30 days gametime (new accounts only!) and cannot do the raptr thing before june 12th, please PM me and I have a spare code you can use. Again, new accounts/trial players only.

This is still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Dimensions are extremely powerful, you can do lots of interesting things with them.

holy poo poo

edit: for the record, I don't make ingame swastikas with bags/cloth in case anyone was thinking that
edit2: guild invites caught up through this post

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 8, 2013

• Locked thread