Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Still very much in love (and playing a ton) of Scurvy Scallywags. iOS games (even good ones) don't often hold my attention much longer than to see what they achieved and be like "oh, that's nifty!" but I really like it. I like how there's some strategy when 3 tough scorpions are around you and you look for a move that will slide you *or* them away, without moving the other...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Bummey posted:

God drat Pflats whips out the foot notes.

They removed the best minigame and replaced it with a really terrible cannon shooting gallery garbage awful thing.

Other than that. Yeah, it's mostly the same game.

What was the minigame they replaced?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

What was the minigame they replaced?

The strategy town invasion one.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Tedronai66 posted:

Hey guys. I just posted a thread about my friends puzzle game for iOS/Android. It's called NonoCube and you can read about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553467

In case the name isn't ringing any bells for anyone, this is pretty much Picross 3D for iOS (and the controls work really nicely).

Since NoA doesn't even seem inclined to bring the new Picross titles to North America on 3DS, it's probably safe to assume this is the closest we're gonna get on iOS in the near future.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Never having an iOS device before, is the standard 16gb iPad plenty of space for iOS games? Or is it going to the way of the computer where every game is 12 gbs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Never having an iOS device before, is the standard 16gb iPad plenty of space for iOS games? Or is it going to the way of the computer where every game is 12 gbs.
Get at least 32gb or else you'll run out really fast.

Some big-budget games are like 1 gig to download but need 3 gigs free to unpack and install. You need the same free space if you want to update them as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mr.Trifecta posted:

If an iPhone game is 2 gigs, it requires 4 gigs to install. If you are going to be downloading and playing lots of games, go with the largest iPhone you can afford, you won't regret it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I'm constantly fighting for space on my iPhone with 16gb, to the point where I won't buy games I want because I can't clear the required 3gb of space requires for the download and install. Well, I can, but I'm a hoarder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could probably squeak by on 16GB but you'll have to be pretty diligent about cleaning up games that you don't play anymore.

On the other hand, I've never gone over 80% utilization on my 32GB devices. I tend not to hang on to crap I don't use.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

LittleCat posted:

In case the name isn't ringing any bells for anyone, this is pretty much Picross 3D for iOS (and the controls work really nicely).

Since NoA doesn't even seem inclined to bring the new Picross titles to North America on 3DS, it's probably safe to assume this is the closest we're gonna get on iOS in the near future.

And in this case, the dev plans to keep releasing more content!

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Some thoughts on Kingdom Rush Frontiers: It's not as good as the first one in many ways unfortunately.

- pretty much every tower and every ability they have is crappier and less fun/useful than in the first one.
- unexpected/surprising ways for enemies to approach are too common & plentiful, ultimately (cheaply) designed to have to be replayed
- enemy abilities are really unfun, especially invisibility and teleport which you can do almost nothing about (other than expensive totems) and will frequently cause you lose lives thinking "well, couldn't have done much :shobon:"
- stage design allows for even less freedom for placement
- you get hosed even moreso if you don't choose the right combination of towers than previously / forced into compensating with crystal-bought items (partly because there's less ways to deal with air in this one but stronger air waves)
- game doesn't store your current progress for very long so oftentimes when you take a break you'll have to restart the stage
- you have to micro-manage your heroes/manageable units a lot more to target tiny spell-casters/summoners which is a bit fickly for a game on an iphone screen

Still worth the money but not as addicting, fun or well-balanced as the first one, not sure what happened.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm enjoying it, but the towers definitely don't feel like they have as much 'oomph' as before. Part of it is probably because the difficulty seems to be higher so you buy boosts to complete levels. I'm in the jungle level at the moment and there are a few optimal spots that cost 100 coins to clear which just puts more pressure on your early wave economy.

I haven't hit invisibility and teleport yet (:stare:) but already there's a rush to spend the 700 gold to upgrade my tower enough so that I can get silence totems up since a lot of waves climb very quickly in difficulty if you don't cut off the spell casters. I'm surprised there aren't more dispel magic options (unless you unlock more upgrades later?) since they can completely hose your defense.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I have a 16GB and it's driving me nuts. Spend the extra money for more space. Sure wish Apple would have let you use SD cards but then they couldn't ream you as much.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shalinor posted:

Zodiac is worth learning if you're a completionist, but it's definitely one of those "just makes you into even more of a god" abilities.

FFT is a game I had fun digging into as a teenager, but as an adult, I could never see myself spending the time it took for some of that stuff. Cloud (and levelling him up to be useful) and Zodiac stick out as two "god why did I do that"'s in particular. Calculators were also stupidly time intensive, if you wanted them as powerful as they theoretically could be.

For less time-intensive fun game breaking, the monk/ninja stuff is probably a better choice, for anyone picking it up fresh.

Back in college I had a calculator/summoner with every spell and Zodiac. ...I didn't have much of a life back then.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Level 5 of Kingdom Rush 2 is murdering me. Something about that wave of nine scorpions down the short path with a bajillion wolves just shuts me down. I really wish you could give orders to towers to have them target weak/swarming enemies, target closest/nearest, etc.

Lorini posted:

I have a 16GB and it's driving me nuts. Spend the extra money for more space. Sure wish Apple would have let you use SD cards but then they couldn't ream you as much.

And user replaceable / swappable batteries and and and and. If apple didn't provide it you don't need it, CONSUMER.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 8, 2013

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Lorini posted:

Would you say the 32gb iPad is sufficient?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would. I have 16 right now and I really believe 32 would he the sweet spot in terms of space vs price.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would, my 16gbs has almost enough space, but I have to delete a major app any time I want something new. And all the square updates are annoying as hell, they adds gba of spoken dialogue in different languages to most of their games.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yep.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Shalinor posted:

As an adult, I could never see myself spending the time it took for some of that stuff.
Having it on the iPhone has been nice for that, actually. I never owned a playstation, so I only played FFT at my friend's place. These days, I could never sit down and grind that stuff out, but having it in my pocket, I've been playing the same run on-and-off for a year and a half. A few times a month, I'll play on a train ride or on the sofa, and then I ignore it for a few more weeks. I have 4 very broken generics that I'm using in most of the story battles, and I'm trying out all the weird stuff I've wondered about. (Currently, I figure a Beowulf dual-wielding rune blades with a Samurai secondary could be fun, so I'm trying to get him to earn another Samurai skill or two as I try out the new Agrias sidequest.)

Most of the time, though, it just sits in a folder not bothering anything, which I'm okay with.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

As long as you're not a packrat, and don't need to load your iPad up with movies, you'll be fine.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 7, 2013

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I was torn on this as well, but in hindsight, getting the 32gb version was one of the best decisions I've ever made (which is a little bit sad).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yeah however if you can afford more, more is better. The problem really is that I was relying on streaming my music which has worked out OK, but games have gotten bigger and 16GB frankly should be retired at this point. I don't know if you travel at all, but during flights you'll be offline and you won't be able to stream music or movies.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

heiden posted:

Some thoughts on Kingdom Rush Frontiers: It's not as good as the first one in many ways unfortunately.

- pretty much every tower and every ability they have is crappier and less fun/useful than in the first one.
- unexpected/surprising ways for enemies to approach are too common & plentiful, ultimately (cheaply) designed to have to be replayed
- enemy abilities are really unfun, especially invisibility and teleport which you can do almost nothing about (other than expensive totems) and will frequently cause you lose lives thinking "well, couldn't have done much :shobon:"
- stage design allows for even less freedom for placement
- you get hosed even moreso if you don't choose the right combination of towers than previously / forced into compensating with crystal-bought items (partly because there's less ways to deal with air in this one but stronger air waves)
- game doesn't store your current progress for very long so oftentimes when you take a break you'll have to restart the stage
- you have to micro-manage your heroes/manageable units a lot more to target tiny spell-casters/summoners which is a bit fickly for a game on an iphone screen

Still worth the money but not as addicting, fun or well-balanced as the first one, not sure what happened.

To each his own but several of these complaints I'm actually enjoying. It's been a while since I played the original but I remember there being several towers I never used where in Frontiers I feel every tower (save maybe the archmage tower) has its place. I really enjoy the trade-off between the two artillery towers (the mobility and versatility of the mech vs. the pure damage and area of attack for the DWAARP), the fact that both melee towers can tank (evading vs. soaking) and the free meat you get from the necromancer that you have the ability to enhance if you want. However, after reading your list it did occur to me that it would be nice if one of the melee towers had a ranged attack like the barbarians did (throwing daggers for the assassins would be the most logical choice) and I wish I cared about more of the upgrades on most of the towers (waste disposal, barrage, pestilence, almost all of the melee upgrades).

I haven't had much of a problem with alternate approaches and I think they offer a greater challenge than static spawn points. Same goes for enemy movement abilities, though I think the enhanced heroes help alleviate both of those problems for me because they're pretty powerful and can often kill things that slip past by themselves or with the help of a level 1 melee tower or reinforcements to slow stuff down. I won't argue with the feeling that I have less freedom for placement though it hasn't really felt like a hindrance on any of the levels I've beaten so far. Also can't speak to your last two complains since I'm playing the game on my iPad and haven't had any problems coming back to levels after long amounts of time.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Just to add another reply to the list, I'd definitely go straight to 32gb. I got a 16gb iPad Mini on launch day as my first iPad, coming over from a 16gb Android tablet where I'd never wished for more room. There's so much more content available on iOS, I'm constantly struggling for space. I always bought it with the intention of getting the cheapest model in the first round of Minis, and the cost was basically covered by selling my other tablet and Kindle, but I'll be upgrading immediately at the first round of the next generation.

As people say, you need roughly double the space an app actually consumes to install it, and with more and more 2gb+ games coming out this is getting a pretty bad problem. With the 16gb iPad you can only actually use ~14gb of the space. Sign into Photostream (if you have another iOS device) and another gig's gone immediately. Digital magazines (Edge, Wired, etc) are usually half a gig each issue. I have 1 page of third-party apps (none data intensive), one page of games, turned off photostream and I'm still constantly under 1gb of free space with no video or music content on the device. I'm currently two months behind on Edge magazine because I haven't got around to reading it fully yet but don't have the room to sync new issues onto it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpookyLizard posted:

Heavy Armor Monk or Ninja Monk or double fist monk are all just ways to hilarious break tje game and make ramza a god. Monk + ninja are the only two classes Ramza ever need spend time in.

Lancer Ramza is all you need. :colbert:

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Kingdom Rush talk:
  • The 2x artillery tower, 2x barracks defence still works perfectly well in the new version - the earthquake tower even stuns/slows flying enemies - but the layouts for the map make that impossible on a lot I've seen so far.
  • I like the new crossbowman towers. They're really effective against the jungle enemies and the combo effect that lets them extend the range of earthquake and totem towers is handy. Their huge range and the 6+ shot power makes them particularly good for air defence.
  • I've been disappointed with the mage towers, although that's mostly because I really liked the instant death powers from the first Kingdom Rush. They don't seem to offer much to other towers. The necromancer tower is okay, but I'd rather have another earthquake tower because when you're using artillery in defence, you're rarely left with any chaff that skeletons can really hold up as the big guys in this game all seem to have area attack.
  • I've only played with the starting hero but his sandmen power is great. it's basically the equivalent of another barracks with a slightly longer respawn.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Froist posted:

Just to add another reply to the list, I'd definitely go straight to 32gb. I got a 16gb iPad Mini on launch day as my first iPad, coming over from a 16gb Android tablet where I'd never wished for more room. There's so much more content available on iOS, I'm constantly struggling for space. I always bought it with the intention of getting the cheapest model in the first round of Minis, and the cost was basically covered by selling my other tablet and Kindle, but I'll be upgrading immediately at the first round of the next generation.

As people say, you need roughly double the space an app actually consumes to install it, and with more and more 2gb+ games coming out this is getting a pretty bad problem. With the 16gb iPad you can only actually use ~14gb of the space. Sign into Photostream (if you have another iOS device) and another gig's gone immediately. Digital magazines (Edge, Wired, etc) are usually half a gig each issue. I have 1 page of third-party apps (none data intensive), one page of games, turned off photostream and I'm still constantly under 1gb of free space with no video or music content on the device. I'm currently two months behind on Edge magazine because I haven't got around to reading it fully yet but don't have the room to sync new issues onto it.

Add to this poo poo like Instagram or Vine or, hell, anything that connects to the Internet to view content (like tumblr) and you have a 12mb app caching upwards of 600mb of useless loving data that you can only remove if jailbroken, and which then replenishes almost immediately upon reconnecting and receiving new content. gently caress the iOS in about a zillion different ways, it really hoards data and makes managing storage a nightmare at best, impossible at worst.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 8, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

As someone who grabbed a 16gb I can manage with that but only just.
Juggling apps around to make space for the larger ones is getting a little irritating though.
If I could burn more money I would have grabbed the bigger one. It looks like the 32 is probably ideal.

Speaking of juggling apps... I want to offload TWEWY but don't want to lose my progress. What do I do?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sad lions posted:

Speaking of juggling apps... I want to offload TWEWY but don't want to lose my progress. What do I do?

Jailbreak and use DataDeposit to backup saved data to dropbox. Or cry.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If more games enabled proper iCloud saves I would be more than happy with 16gb. But the whole iFunBox dance of manually backing poo poo up and juggling between apps / movies / newsstand (shut up I actually use this) is what made me go for 32gb as minimum.

But enough about hard drives and back to kingdom rush 2 chat I'm only a few levels in but early impressions:
- I'm not sure if I like or dislike the whole "skipping progression" compared to KR1. In KR1 the towers and tiers gradually unlocked (as far as I remember) and gave you at least a level to play with poo poo. Here you're already with specialized towers by level 4. It's an interesting change that just goes "hope you played the first one".
- I can't tell if the tower ranges are bigger or if the maps are smaller but it appears that the focus is even more "this is a puzzle figured out which tower goes where" or "use gems / buy gems"
- the dragon being $7 is bullshit. I love me some dragons but I ain't paying that. :argh:

Bummey posted:

Ignore this dumb Shuckle. Use iFunBox to manually backup the save files, assuming its a simple file. If the save structure is complicated you're SOL.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

There's seriously no 'proper' way to preserve app data other than those that get icloud?
I like TWEWY but nowhere near enough to have it on permanently.
That really really blows.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sad lions posted:

There's seriously no 'proper' way to preserve app data other than those that get icloud?
I like TWEWY but nowhere near enough to have it on permanently.
That really really blows.

Nope, but you don't need that or Steve Jobs would have implemented it years ago. :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I use a 16gb iPad mini for games and storage isn't an issue. If I need to free space I'm likely removing games I haven't played for awhile and won't be playing again. Either way it takes about 30 seconds to copy save files to my PV using iFunBox and doesn't require jailbreaking your device to do so.

Has anyone played The War of Eustrath and if so how was it?
http://www.appshopper.com/games/the-war-of-eustrath-hd

It looks like a Super Robot Wars clone that's been around for awhile.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ignore this dumb Shuckle. Use iFunBox to manually backup the save files, assuming its a simple file. If the save structure is complicated you're SOL.

If it's complicated you just copy the entire folder for the app to your computer.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Bummey posted:

Are we the only two people who picked that up? Come on, goons.

I thought that, but the guy in Golden Axe wasn't a caricature of a Japanese guy circa WWII either.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Arcaeris posted:

I thought that, but the guy in Golden Axe wasn't a caricature of a Japanese guy circa WWII either.

The dudes who made the game are from Uruguay, so I'd say they get more slack with the similarities to American propaganda caricatures.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Arcaeris posted:

Well then good thing it's a gnome/elf from a fictional fantasy world and not a Japanese person.

Do you people really give a poo poo or are you just trying to impress us all with how progressive and racially sensitive you are? You're putting way more thought into it than was intended.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm so pissed that I have to start over again on my ipad in Kingdom Rush. Every game should have cloud saves, this should be top priority!!!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm so pissed that I have to start over again on my ipad in Kingdom Rush. Every game should have cloud saves, this should be top priority!!!

Use iFunBox and transfer the saves from your other device. I did this with FFT yesterday because I sure as gently caress wasn't losing ~47 hours of game time just to play it on my iPad and the save files worked fine even though FFT is not a universal app.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has anyone played The War of Eustrath and if so how was it?
http://www.appshopper.com/games/the-war-of-eustrath-hd

If you liked the Masou Kishin SRW games it's basically that. Alternatively, it's a remake of Battle of Youstrass if you ever played that.

Myself, I couldn't get past the second stage because for some reason they decided to make the main character 1000% incredibly insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use iFunBox and transfer the saves from your other device. I did this with FFT yesterday because I sure as gently caress wasn't losing ~47 hours of game time just to play it on my iPad and the save files worked fine even though FFT is not a universal app.

Can't seem to find what file is the save file...

• Locked thread