Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
When I first saw the kickstarter, I was interested (and ignorant), but now the OUYA seems pretty doomed to me. Julie's UHRBERMENSCH was less than super and more the disrupted instead of the disrupt-er. The ULALA just doesn't seem to be finding a groove. It's like the most it can reliably do is stand upright, and the library seems so bleh (I cringed and laughed so hard at the Red trailer my god) that the device just screams out to be leftdown in the garbage abyss of gaming history. Goons are just picking apart each new graph/complaint/whatever as if they were shooting ducks in a barrel. Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Open Up Your rear end

Please refrain leaking details on my new indie gay anime dating sim for the OUYA. I'd like to keep this thread as free from rear end leakage as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Anyone have any success turning this thing into a bong? Or turning it into literally ANYTHING useful?

Based on the overheating reports, you could probably take the top off and use it to cook a hot dog or something.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

My gf had one of these laying around that she never opened, and I knew it was going to be garbage but I figured I could at least use it as an emulation box. Good loving god, I have never been legitimately pissed off at a console until now. Not only can I not play N64 games at a respectable framerate, but I cant even play SNES games because the input lag is so loving horrendous. The default controller is laughable, but I managed to get a PS3 controller working with it which is barely any better. I can literally press a button on the controller while its sitting in my lap and touch my ear with the same hand before the input registers on the drat thing.

How are there people that are STILL white knighting this loving piece of garbage? I can't even use it as a loving doorstop because it doesn't weigh enough. Anyone have any success turning this thing into a bong? Or turning it into literally ANYTHING useful?
Were you downloading anything? There's been reports that if you are downloading any apps on the device while playing a game, that really adds a ton of controller lag. I haven't seen any lag on my dev kit, but it could be something with the shipping controllers, or maybe the metal case is interfering with the bluetooth and the wifi so that neither is getting a good signal and the weak signals are actually interfering with each other.

Or maybe the shipping controllers are just garbage :)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Hey guys, what does "Shipped" mean to you?

https://twitter.com/juhrman/status/342642333407379456

quote:

Julie Uhrman ‏@juhrman 5 Jun

@z0mki @OUYASupport We are working hard to get them all out. Yours is probably already on its way. Will have my team reach out & give status

quote:

Jason Whelan ‏@jmwhelan 6 Jun

@juhrman @z0mki @OUYASupport “probably” ??? What happened to 100% shipped? #ouyalies

quote:

@jmwhelan @z0mki @OUYASupport All units have been produced and packed. I believe my team is already working with you :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

So when the new pushed back retail release date comes and goes and backers still don't have their STOCKHOLM will we start to see whispers of legal action? Not that the retail locations will have anything either but, you know.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, Madcatz just announced an Android powered console. What's the bet that it's more successful than the Ouya?

From IGN

quote:

Like its Kickstarter-backed peers, Project M.O.J.O. is based on Android, but instead of requiring games to be custom-tailored to its hardware, it works with existing digital storefronts like Amazon's Appstore and Google Play. Unbound by a proprietary platform, Project M.O.J.O. enables users to access a library of thousands of titles, including those already purchased for their Android tablet or smartphone.

They're at least doing something right.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Aweful Dreams posted:

Were you downloading anything? There's been reports that if you are downloading any apps on the device while playing a game, that really adds a ton of controller lag. I haven't seen any lag on my dev kit, but it could be something with the shipping controllers, or maybe the metal case is interfering with the bluetooth and the wifi so that neither is getting a good signal and the weak signals are actually interfering with each other.

Or maybe the shipping controllers are just garbage :)

Maybe. Maybe.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Produced and packed does not equal shipped. That implies the box is sitting somewhere, waiting to be put on a truck/boat/plane, not that it is actively moving towards its destination.

Dec 26, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Produced and packed does not equal shipped. That implies the box is sitting somewhere, waiting to be put on a truck/boat/plane, not that it is actively moving towards its destination.

I can believe that she doesn't know or is willing to overlook the difference.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
And just a reminder, this was posted two weeks ago now.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Julie is now redefining the word "shipped".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Julie is now redefining the word "shipped".

I think it's more likely they redefined 'early backer'. In any case they didn't tell anyone about the change, par for the course.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Julie responded to my insult on Twitter. :allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theflyingorc posted:

Julie responded to my insult on Twitter. :allears:

Do show.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

https://twitter.com/juhrman/status/343193133158383618

Original post:

quote:

Thanks @juhrman of @playouya, that email does make me feel better. It's nice to be told what's going on instead of being left in the dark.

Her statement:

quote:

@FaisonZutavern @playouya :). You made my night.

Me being insulting:

quote:

@juhrman You probably shouldn't feel good by focusing on your small successes rather than your obvious failures.

Her trying to play it off:

quote:

@theflyingorc We get better every day. I feel good about that.

I hate people who say things like this, so I got overly mean (no response to this yet):

quote:

@juhrman Hahahaha that's adorable. You've been so incompetent so far that there's nowhere to go but up.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1fwl00/well_at_least_they_are_trying_to_be_more/

Julie posted:

It’s not in your living room yet -- and we know that SUCKS. There are approximately 7,500 early supporters like yourself that are still waiting for their OUYA.
You want answers and we want to give them to you. So here it goes:
Two weeks ago, we provided an update through Kickstarter that 100% of early backer orders had shipped from Hong Kong. This was/is a true statement. All units were manufactured, packaged, and on route to one of our distribution facilities (based on your mailing address). At these facilities, your OUYA is labeled, scanned, and shipped to your doorstep (hence the 1-2 week delay in receiving your shipping email and activating your tracking code).
In your case, things didn’t go as planned. It’s important to note at this point that the cause(s) behind your delayed OUYA isn’t the result of a single point of failure -- rather, it is the result of several small(ish) logistical hurdles (new) that we encountered late in the game.
What we do know is that 5,000 units will ship this weekend -- so many of you can expect your first email very soon. Do not be surprised, however, if it does not have a tracking number. In that case, you should receive a secondary email (which includes your tracking number) shortly afterwards.
I don’t expect this to make you feel much better (well maybe a little ;). I can tell you that everyone is pushing and working hard and YOU are important to us. If for whatever crazy reason you do not receive your MY OUYA HAS SHIPPED email by Wednesday (6/12), we will email you. We will keep you in the loop. PROMISE.
Now, go have a great weekend. I’m getting back to work.
All my best,
Julie

We're 100% shipped as of two weeks ago, we just haven't sent out 7500 of them. But don't worry we supposedly will shipped 5000 of them this weekend. And then on the 12th we'll finally be done shipping. Amazing. OUYA redefining the console paradigm and the word shipped.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
For the hell of it I checked on our old friend, isouyashipping.com We're up to 1/3 with preshipping emails, 25% shipped, and 14% recieved. Almost 2 weeks after Julie said 100% were shipped.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

SoupyTwist posted:

They're at least doing something right.

You don't get it man! The whole point is to stick it to the Big 3 by playing terrible Frogger ports for the rest of your life. Ports that are only available in your special little store that nobody else in the world uses.

Thanks for believing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

weaaddar posted:

We're 100% shipped as of two weeks ago, we just haven't sent out 7500 of them. But don't worry we supposedly will shipped 5000 of them this weekend. And then on the 12th we'll finally be done shipping. Amazing. OUYA redefining the console paradigm and the word shipped.

So they shipped them to the distributors and then the distributors deliver them. But somehow this causes a 1 - 2 week delay that they hadn't previously forseen?

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
I just had a little blast to the past, a moment of inspiration if you will. There is only one game truly deserving of the YEEHAW:

The Demon Rush. If you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2913491

Say it with me: Cherry Venus. Brooks Cracktackle.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Remind me, is anyone in the thread going to e3 and able to take pictures of the OUYA Car Park Party?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

weaaddar posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/1fwl00/well_at_least_they_are_trying_to_be_more/

So whenever they said "100% shipped", they meant from manufacturer to their warehouse, and not 100% shipped to consumers? This girl knows her marketing BS.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Remind me, is anyone in the thread going to e3 and able to take pictures of the OUYA Car Park Party?

I'm hoping that the Ouya "event" at E3 is is just Julie and 2 other people in one of those food trucks giving away hot, juicy Ouyas outside the convention centre

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Julie posted:

Two weeks ago, we provided an update through Kickstarter that 100% of early backer orders had shipped from Hong Kong. This was/is a true statement.

I just left out the "from Hong Kong to warehouse" part of my mspaint graph.
Ha ha ha ha. Yes, technicalities. Keep pushing that goal post, you can get it another 10 yards.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 8, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
If all the OUYAs in the world suddenly became sausage sandwiches I would probably buy an OUYA.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

Hatbox Ghost posted:

If all the OUYAs in the world suddenly became sausage sandwiches I would probably buy an OUYA.

A sausage sandwich for 99$?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
What if it's $99 worth of sausage sandwiches? could you eat them all before they went bad?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Captain Novolin posted:

What if it's $99 worth of sausage sandwiches? could you eat them all before they went bad?

They're actually bad when you get them, but people buy them because they want to stick it to "The Big 3 Sandwich companies", who make far better sandwiches.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Captain Novolin posted:

I would invite friends over and we'd have a sausagefest.

But seriously folks, I wasn't considering the idea of them being $99. To be more clear if all the OUYAs were reasonably priced sausage sandwiches I would probably buy one, but under very few other circumstances would I make that purchase.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 8, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

weaaddar posted:

God it makes me so angry when people don't close parentheses.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

Is this a consistent complaint? Because as far as I'm concerned that's the last nail in the coffin if it isn't just a fluke.

Yes it appears to be a common issue. Since it affects other controllers too it's probably caused by them putting the thing in a metal box and not bothering to hook up any kind of antenna (far as I know) for the Bluetooth.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

quote:

Actually no, she said 100% shipped from Hong Kong. It was just everyone on here that misinterpreted and spread that as if it was 100% shipped to backers

:v: of course it's your fault that you understood "shipped" as shipped, are you stupid or something?

quote:

I'm still not complaining because unlike the ones who are bitching, which is honestly only about 3 or 4 whiners, I have patience and so does everyone else

:monocle: the best part in Ouya is waiting - it makes me more special than everybody that already received theirs.

quote:

I want to get my Ouya.
I want to love my Ouya.
I want to enjoy my Ouya before people can buy them on Ebay for what I paid for mine.
If they'd just said 'they're built, packaged and being sorted for shipping but will be a few weeks, sorry. We know this means they'll get to you before you could buy one at retail, and we're sorry. But this is the reality of what we're doing' I'd be able to accept that.
But no, they make us salivate. They make us shiver in excitement. They make us unable to sleep at night, waiting for a shipping email. They make our patience wear thin. They make us tired of hearing the same thing.

:aaaaa:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Digitalfoundry reviews Ouya.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ouya-review

Digitalfoundry posted:

Ouya's incredible journey to market may make it appear like an overnight success, but in reality the console has a long and hard road ahead of it before it can truly be considered a viable alternative to traditional consoles. The Ouya store is embarrassingly short on must-have titles, and with exclusives such as the Human Element prequels not ready for launch, the system may struggle to prove itself before the next generation of home gaming begins in earnest. Even without the PS4 and Xbox One looming on the horizon, Ouya is hard to recommend when you can pick up a brand new Xbox 360 for just £30 more - and it's not as if there's a shortage of games available there for dirt-cheap prices.

What Ouya stands for is more definitely worth supporting; it's a low-cost and highly customisable console which offers small-scale developers a decent platform, but it is by no means unique in this field - both iOS and Android offer a significantly larger install base, and in the case of Android, can do pretty much everything Ouya can. Many of the latest Android phones boast HDMI capability, and all devices running a recent version of Google's OS can link up to Bluetooth pads for a true gaming experience. This begs the question: why bother spending £99 on another piece of tech when you can achieve largely the same result with your mobile phone, which is bought and paid for as part of your monthly contract?

While Ouya offers a lukewarm experience at present, it's still very early days yet. With the promise of yearly hardware updates already coming from the team behind the system, Ouya is certainly going to evolve, just as smartphones and tablets continually advance in terms of internal tech. Of course, such evolution can only occur when there's enough interest and cash involved, and time will tell if Ouya can overcome its ageing internal tech and lack of exclusive software to carve out a niche in the marketplace. Despite some irksome teething troubles, the console at least has the basic building blocks in place, and comes with a decent price point - now it just needs the robust developer support that was promised during that famous Kickstarter campaign last year.

:allears:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

quote:

now it just needs the robust developer support that was promised during that famous Kickstarter campaign last year.

Oh dear.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If there was one place that was truly going to put the boot in, it was always going to be Eurogamer.

EDIT: Ouya Defence Force didn't take long to show up in the comments.

quote:

Let's all remember the hatred shown to this by eurogamer last year. It's out, and i'm guessing that means you guys backed it despite announcing it was a scam?

Anyhow enough of that, having just watched indie game the movie (yeah im late to that party!) i'm hopeful that this will be a success so those kinds of developers have an outlet that doesn't cause them all those problems that 360 did.

Seems like Sony have the balls on PS4 to attract indies, so maybe they can use that instead?

As long as the indies can make some money it's all good!

edit - before the pc brigade get here, by an outlet i mean consoles. I am well aware the pc indie scene is booming!

And Eurogamer comments are always the best.

quote:

Ouno.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 8, 2013

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

quote:

Ouya's incredible journey to market may make it appear like an overnight success

To who!? :psyduck:

Martbear
Jul 14, 2006

Whee!

Nyagato posted:

To who!? :psyduck:

Amy's Bakery

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Tube posted:

I just had a little blast to the past, a moment of inspiration if you will. There is only one game truly deserving of the YEEHAW:

The Demon Rush. If you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2913491

Say it with me: Cherry Venus. Brooks Cracktackle.

Please, we should be taking full advantage of the OUYA's Tegra 3. That's why I propose the inclusion of Dragoon Entertainment's most recent release: Skylight 2: Winters of Discontent.

If you're skeptical, just check out the screenshots on the media page of the official Dragoon Entertainment website. Ten Canadian fun bux for a game of that quality on the OUYA is practically a bargain!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LoseHound posted:

Please, we should be taking full advantage of the OUYA's Tegra 3. That's why I propose the inclusion of Dragoon Entertainment's most recent release: Skylight 2: Winters of Discontent.

If you're skeptical, just check out the screenshots on the media page of the official Dragoon Entertainment website. Ten Canadian fun bux for a game of that quality on the OUYA is practically a bargain!

Seriously, this is a game that is selling for money in two thousand and thirteen current era

:stare: Those hands.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

eithedog posted:

:v: of course it's your fault that you understood "shipped" as shipped, are you stupid or something?

So to paraphrase Uhrman, "I suppose I should have been more clear about 'shipping'..."

Guys, I think Xboxpants IS Julie :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

So to paraphrase Uhrman, "I suppose I should have been more clear about 'shipping'..."

Guys, I think Xboxpants IS Julie :aaa:

That would make the inability to get any information on the Limited Edition even more hilarious.

• Locked thread