Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
They could just have it use your game time it looked like each player got 30 mins for the game in one of the vids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

30 seconds was what they had in Chron X way back n' what I was used to, so just what I quoted. Admit it's not really a good amount of time to reconnect, especially if you have to go all out and reboot your modem each time. It was an issue in Tourney's during With Authority! because someone would get into a match, get stomped early and pull the plug. Log back in with enough time to restart the match and possibly screw over your opponent. They really didn't do much to counter it besides add a 'disconnect %' underneath their w/l/d record so you'd have a good idea who was doing it regularly. But those same people could just create a new account and trade all their cards to it so...

Just something I've been dicked over on other online TCG's and hoping to not have to deal with.

What does "enough time to restart the match" mean in this context?

Like I said, in MTGO, if someone rage disconnects then comes back X minutes later, they've affected nothing except get themselves X minutes further into the hole on their clock. If it's more than 10 minutes or whatever, they're down a game. They still have to deal with the match as it was. I think that was a pretty good system and it doesn't screw over legit disconnects any more than it absolutely has to in order to keep the matches moving.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's no reason to start the match over, though. The matches are being played on their servers, not our computers (unless they're total idiots who want their game ruined by rampant cheating), so they can just pause the match until the other player reconnects or a certain amount of time passes. They even already have an inactivity timer, although I expect a disconnection to disqualify you before the current 30 minute total inactivity timer is up. 3 or 5 minutes would be reasonable (I'd prefer 5 because sometimes 3 minutes is cutting it close for me), anything more than 5 is too much to ask the other guy to wait for IMO.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
A 30 second timer is laughably bad. It will probably take 30 seconds just to enter your authenticator code. With boosters and potential real money prizes, five minutes should be the minimum. Maybe two minutes for unranked, casual matches.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If someone disconnects from your unranked casual match why do you even care? Just fire up another match and move on.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Suffice it to say, my experience with online TCG's is more than a little out of date. I had to actually look up the stats on Chron X and...

quote:

Chron X was the first online trading card game, first released by Genetic Anomalies in May 1997.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some kids on my lawn to yell at.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I wonder what will happen if you disconnect while picking cards for a booster draft?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
I would assume that once the timer runs out for each pick the game will just select a card for you and you are stuck with that but could still log back in and pick the rest of your cards if the draft is still going. How it selects the card could be done any number of ways but probably when it first comes out it won't have any intelligence to its pick but it would be pretty cool for it to have some type of intelligence such as picking on color cards or rares or something at least.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

If someone disconnects from your unranked casual match why do you even care? Just fire up another match and move on.

Yeah, this is what I do in MTGO.

The answer to pretty much anything related to game clocks and disconnects is likely to be "just do it the way MTGO does." Ditto draft picks when you disconnect and such. There's a lot of MTGO that deserves to be set on fire and left burning on the trash heap of history, but this isn't one of them.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Rhaegar posted:

I wonder what will happen if you disconnect while picking cards for a booster draft?

If it's anything like MODO it'll select the worst possible card for you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm really interested to see how they balance PVE. I've been playing scrolls and I was doing the "trials" which are different scenarios against the AI. For the hard trials, they basically just came up with near impossible scenarios like your opponent starts out with 7 goblins that will kill you in turn two for example. Which turns out isn't really fun when you have to restart 30-40 times just to get the right hand to have a very slim chance at beating the trial.

The PVE cards in Hex seem pretty crazy so i'm curious to see how they keep it challenging without it feeling like you are getting kicked in the nuts over and over again.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Looking at the preliminary guide for Warrior abilities mentioned in the OP, PvE seems like it'll be pretty awesome. You get stuff like a stat that automatically cancels out X damage to you per turn depending on how many points you put into it, abilities that boost up your guys, and starting at level 9, 10 extra health.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 8, 2013

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The beauty of PVE is that they don't have to balance it. The system behind a customizable deck game is that you can build ANYTHING YOU WANT, and you can just bring a deck that will demolish the PVE deck you're trying to beat and lose to everything else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Honestly I can't wait to see what ridiculously customized poo poo you have to run to beat some of these raids. I'm looking forward to synergistic decks being used in 3v1. It's way more interesting than gearscore.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Honestly I can't wait to see what ridiculously customized poo poo you have to run to beat some of these raids. I'm looking forward to synergistic decks being used in 3v1. It's way more interesting than gearscore.

If it's anything like WoW the raids will, eventually if not initially, be tuned down so that you can grind them down with whatever dumb poo poo you bring. :shepface:

But I agree with you, I've always been utterly fascinated by the min-maxing poo poo that people on the bleeding edge of MMO raids do to beat challenging content, and I can't wait to see what that entails in a TCG format.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Talking to my friends who I conned into throwing in on this game, I'm pretty hyped for Skyping with some buddies and trying to tune up a trio of decks for raid encounters. This is what I loved best about WoW raiding (learning new content) without the need to be in a raid so big that I couldn't ensure that the rest of the team was really good.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Crosswell posted:

So I pledged DC tier as a Canadian. It let me sign in to Amazon Payments using my existing Amazon Account. Didn't realize my dirty Canadian credit card wouldn't work. Now what? I can't switch my pledge to Paypal, but that seems to be my only option. I just want to give you my money, people.

Here's something pretty bizarre about Amazon Payments: if you try to register to AP directely, they will reject any and all non American credit cards (they don't even let you change the country). However, if you get an account on the Amazon store, enter your non-US credit card data, go back to AP, and log in with your Amazon account, your credit card is magically not an issue anymore.

I recently experienced this due to getting a new card with a non-US billing address. For a minute I thought I was blocked out but no, just had to do that bit of jiggery pokery.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
17765 total Kickstarter backers (plus a couple of hundred minimum PayPal backers), at least 7545 copies of the Spectral Lotus + Black Tiger equipment between them - I wonder if there will be any way to craft / loot equipment for the Kickstarter exclusive cards? If not then those gloves are going to be pretty good trades (I can't imagine many people trading / selling their actual Spectral Lotus Gardens)

Edit: if you take the last reported PayPal numbers and divide it by the average pledge then there may be as many as 1500 PayPal backers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wonder if they'll give players access to see PVE enemy decks or if they will keep them secret so people can be surprised.

I'm also interested in what the cheevos will be. Cause you know there's gonna be cheevos

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aren't there cards that say "look at your opponent's deck"? If anybody cares enough, they'll use one of those.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Aren't there cards that say "look at your opponent's deck"? If anybody cares enough, they'll use one of those.

Yeah, I guess someone, somewhere, is going to data mine every loving thing

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I guess someone, somewhere, is going to data mine every loving thing

Yeah, there's going to be tons of spreadsheets about this game. I wonder if CZE will make bosses who generate their decks randomly out of a pool of cards? That would be pretty dang neat.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Grim posted:

17765 total Kickstarter backers (plus a couple of hundred minimum PayPal backers), at least 7545 copies of the Spectral Lotus + Black Tiger equipment between them - I wonder if there will be any way to craft / loot equipment for the Kickstarter exclusive cards? If not then those gloves are going to be pretty good trades (I can't imagine many people trading / selling their actual Spectral Lotus Gardens)

Edit: if you take the last reported PayPal numbers and divide it by the average pledge then there may be as many as 1500 PayPal backers

Don't forget that any tier that includes the Collector bonus gives a second copy, so based on my quickie math (I have no clue what the paypal numbers are, so all rounding is based on kickstarter numbers + rounding up sold out tiers to the max number i.e. assume 1000 pro player sold despite only 913 on KS) there are around 9264 gardens in circulation.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

Yeah, there's going to be tons of spreadsheets about this game. I wonder if CZE will make bosses who generate their decks randomly out of a pool of cards? That would be pretty dang neat.

They could make an entire deck where if $card is still in the library, it changes from one card to another when it goes from one phase to another, so cards that are already on the table stay the same but future cards drawn from the deck are different. They could make it trigger on basically anything, so really tracking down all the data for this could be even more of a massive headache than it seems on the outset. I love computers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't forget that any tier that includes the Collector bonus gives a second copy, so based on my quickie math (I have no clue what the paypal numbers are, so all rounding is based on kickstarter numbers + rounding up sold out tiers to the max number i.e. assume 1000 pro player sold despite only 913 on KS) there are around 9264 gardens in circulation.

Some guy on the official forums already did a chart:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25072&p=244393&viewfull=1#post244393

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
One weakness in their design right now is that there's nothing announced that gold is actually useful for except keep defense. There are all sorts of things it -could- be useful for, but at T-3 months we're skirting the edge of where it's possible to add anything big to the design doc.

That would almost definitely make the lotuses and tigers into this game's SoJ.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If it was me I'd make it so you can't buy boosters with them but you CAN buy draft tickets. That and of course spending a shitload to turn a regular card into the foil version. I'll actually be surprised and impressed if they don't put annoyingly effected foil cards into the game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Presumably gold figures into the crafting system and perhaps buying equipment from shops, and then platinum is what you use to pay tournament fees.

edit: They've already said you get foil cards by leveling up your base cards.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They've already said you get foil cards by leveling up your base cards.

Nice, I have a way of instantly telling if the guy i'm fighting is a smurf

Midrena
May 2, 2009
About the whole disconnecting/reconnecting to a match that people were talking about earlier, the timer on that seems to be 3 minutes.

Question:
Will the game require a big internet connection? I'm currently working 6 month a year in a inuit village with Satellite internet connection and wireless modems and I get a 5000 ping in online games like Path of Exile here. Wondering if the game will be playable in those condition (Drop out, Lags, ect).

Answer:
The internet overhead of the game is very, very low. The amount of data that goes back and forth to the server is minimal, and we have a 3 minute reconnect timer, that if you lose connection during a game, you have 3 minutes to log back in and you will be automatically rejoined to that game. Any single player experience just uses save states, so you can actually rejoin almost any time after disconnecting.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Midrena posted:

we have a 3 minute reconnect timer, that if you lose connection during a game, you have 3 minutes to log back in and you will be automatically rejoined to that game.

That's kinda lovely. Just let it run their clock. If I ever had a disruption of service and had to restart my modem I would not make it back in time.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If it just ran their clock, in a tournament setting you'd have to sit staring at your screen for half an hour whenever anyone ragequit. With a disconnect timer, people can wait three minutes then go play PVE until the next round. Maybe three minutes is a little too short, but does it really take that long to restart a modem? I know from experience it takes less time than that to reset a flaky router.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

That's kinda lovely. Just let it run their clock. If I ever had a disruption of service and had to restart my modem I would not make it back in time.

Well the clock seems to be standard at 30 mins so unless they reduce that for drafts and tournaments, I suspect there will be lots of cry babies disconnecting as soon as they sense the match going south for them. Only to wait until the last minute to reconnect for the win. That's why a disconnect timer is needed.

There still may be a problem where the loser just goes to do other stuff for 27 minutes and then comes back to try and win. I agree with whomever earlier said they should just copy and paste MTGO's timer system. As far as I remember, it worked great.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

pumpinglemma posted:

If it just ran their clock, in a tournament setting you'd have to sit staring at your screen for half an hour whenever anyone ragequit. With a disconnect timer, people can wait three minutes then go play PVE until the next round. Maybe three minutes is a little too short, but does it really take that long to restart a modem? I know from experience it takes less time than that to reset a flaky router.

It's not just the time to cycle the modem, it's the time to:

• Realize that I've lost connection
  • Walk to the room which houses the router and modem
  • Reset both because it isn't always Comcast's fault, as much as I hate them
  • Wait for the modem to completely reboot
  • Wait for the router to re-attain internet connection
  • Log back in to the game

3 minutes is kind of pushing the envelope for that, especially if the lost connection happens while I'm not expecting anything to happen (such as while I'm deciding whether or not to play a card, etc).

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zurai posted:

It's not just the time to cycle the modem, it's the time to:

• Realize that I've lost connection
  • Walk to the room which houses the router and modem
  • Reset both because it isn't always Comcast's fault, as much as I hate them
  • Wait for the modem to completely reboot
  • Wait for the router to re-attain internet connection
  • Log back in to the game

3 minutes is kind of pushing the envelope for that, especially if the lost connection happens while I'm not expecting anything to happen (such as while I'm deciding whether or not to play a card, etc).

Well, if you're in a tournament for prizes you should be taking precautions so that you know when it happens. There's gotta be some program somewhere that'll tell you the moment you lose internet connection.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I have a feeling that if the timer is a big issue they'll adjust it based on customer feedback. Given how little we know of the overall game it seems like arguing over how good the cards will be in the fourth set or something.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No, making it longer is the right answer.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Right, in a tournament setting you are playing best of 3. So if they decide to rage quit 1 minute into their first game I suppose that's their prerogative. It's 30min each player for the entire round. Even if you have a really lovely draw you will play out most of game 1 and maybe concede if you can't get anything going. Then you still have game 2 and maybe even game 3.

Blazing Zero posted:

Well the clock seems to be standard at 30 mins so unless they reduce that for drafts and tournaments, I suspect there will be lots of cry babies disconnecting as soon as they sense the match going south for them. Only to wait until the last minute to reconnect for the win. That's why a disconnect timer is needed.

There still may be a problem where the loser just goes to do other stuff for 27 minutes and then comes back to try and win. I agree with whomever earlier said they should just copy and paste MTGO's timer system. As far as I remember, it worked great.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If you leave for 27 minutes, with your clock running, you have literally 3 minutes to win 2 matches.

Edit: Maybe it is not clear that your personal game clock DOES NOT PAUSE when you get DC'd. It just keeps ticking. The earliest I can see someone pulling the cord on their internet because they're getting mad at vidya games is during game 2. They've probably already spent around 15 minutes of their game clock at that point.

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 8, 2013

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

Yea there are easily going to be around 10000 Spectral Lotus Gardens after PayPal Kings and such are accounted for, but Collector doesn't give you any extra Equipment (only Immortal + Producer) - the tradable supply of the equipment will come down to how many people are stacking tiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

No, making it longer is the right answer.
I have faith they'll change it to not be retarded.

The save states in PvE thing is loving awesome, though.

• Locked thread