Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

AlistairCookie posted:

He's a bit more than 2, and 36 pounds,

:aaaaa: Your kid is a giant! Mine will be 3 in October and barely tips the scales at 28 lbs with clothes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

:aaaaa: Your kid is a giant! Mine will be 3 in October and barely tips the scales at 28 lbs with clothes on.

Mine is almost ten months and is 25 stark naked. She's changed clothes sizes seven times since she was born. She's also deceptively strong and has just started raging out whenever I try and change her diaper or clothes. Definitely seconding an extremely interesting 'diaper change only' toy. It doesn't always work, but it works more often than not.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

AlistairCookie posted:

He's a bit more than 2, and 36 pounds

Sweet Jesus. My kid is coming up on 5 years old, is 3'8", and weighs 40 pounds. How tall is your linebacker???

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son HATES diaper changes. We usually give him a comb/baby brush to teeth on and that will calm him. Sometimes.

Also joining the large baby club with a 23lb 31" 10 month old. High five.

vv sounds like us :)

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 7, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper is 28 1/4th" at 6 months, but only weighs 16 lbs.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Chris has started kicking out really hard when I go to put a fresh diaper on, not so great when you're sitting at his feet due to the fact you're heavily pregnant and can't really change him on the couch in any other way thanks to your huge belly.

He was 33" and 27lbs at his 18 month checkup a month ago. Hefty boy.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Jeeze football guys. Our daughter steadfastly refuses to go above 20 pounds, and she just turned a year.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Axiem posted:

Jeeze football guys. Our daughter steadfastly refuses to go above 20 pounds, and she just turned a year.

Mine is turning 1 this month and he's only 20lbs if he's just had a big meal. He's in the 50-something percentile for height though, so he's not a midget, just skinny.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

My kid is 4 months a week from Monday and weighs nearly 15 pounds and is 26.5 inches long. He's 50th percentile for weight and like 90th for height and head circumference.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Alterian posted:

Jasper is 28 1/4th" at 6 months, but only weighs 16 lbs.

Same stats here. Archer's just long & lean.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Yeah, Liam is huge. Started out 9.5 pounds, and just shot up from there. Mr. Cookie and I just measured him and he's about 37 inches and 37 pounds. (At his one year, he was 33 inches and 28.5 pounds) At the pediatrician's, he has a little widget on his netbook that gives the percentiles, and for Liam they just flash "high" in red. :3: He's solidly in 3T clothing, but even 4T for shirts isn't terribly big.

Tim, on the other hand, has just cracked the 40 pound barrier and was 42 inches at his 5 year check up. Still wears 4T bottoms, 5T or XS/S tops. He's in the 30th percentile for weight and 50th for height. Last night folding clothes I moved some shorts directly from Tim's pile to Liam's.

They're just different. Really, really different. Mr. Cookie and I are both really average--not particularly big or tall. Tim is in keeping with Dad's build, but Liam is just big.

Edit: Have a couple pictures from March (Liam's birthday) Liam doesn't gently caress around when it comes to cake.

And here he is wearing Daddy's size 11 monster shoes.

Looking at the two of them, if I wasn't obviously there when they came out, I'd swear that not only were they not related at all, but neither looks like they came from me.

I made the Umizoomi cake myself. :toot:

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 8, 2013

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have any tips for dealing with a whiny three year old who also doesn't listen? I know those are two separate issues. It's just hard to reward good behavior when there isn't any :(

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
God, we're all the same. We need to share! My 2 year old is still in the 15th for weight, 65th for height, and 9th for BMI. My wife weighed 98 lbs and I weighed 115 lbs when we graduated high school (getting old sucks) and we're both normal height so she's following us I guess.

Switched to a twin bed last night straight from the crib and I was terrified after reading all of the horror stories on here. She slept perfectly for 9 or 10 hours! It was amazing for one thing to finally not be a struggle. Small victories. My wife has been on 13-15 hour 3rd shifts 6 days a week for the last few months, so it's been just me and the princess all day everyday. I really need the night time to recharge and half relax.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

newts posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with a whiny three year old who also doesn't listen? I know those are two separate issues. It's just hard to reward good behavior when there isn't any :(

For the whining, I use the "Mommy can't understand you when you use that voice" approach--delivered with total bewilderment. "You must not be using a nice voice, because I can't understand your words. Mommy can only understand nice voices." Now, if they are whining after you've addressed whatever the issue is, then that's different. One time of "What did Mommy already say?" or "I'll say this one more time, _____, now no more whiny voice. It's not nice." Then if it continues I move straight to "You can sit here and have a time out until you're done using that not-nice voice and talking about ___."

As for the not listening...sigh. If I could fix that, I'd be less frustrated each day and be rich to boot. :j:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Ugh, family sicknesses are much worse with a toddler running about.

I'm at the tail end of a cold, so I'm still tired and coughing. My wife's right in the middle of it. Neither of us has the energy to deal with our little walker--we're having enough trouble just keeping our own selves okay.

And our daughter has probably caught similar, given her stuffy nose and waking up in the middle of the night coughing (and not easily going back to sleep).

Can someone please remind me that it gets better?

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
Are there any "good" or "better" times of day to fly? One leg is going to be 3 hours long and one is under an hour. Naps are pretty hit and miss and none are during the available windows. Its either early morning, morning, or late afternoon/night. Or is it just a "pick something and pray that everything lines up and you might get out alive?" thing.

This is assuming we can get her ear infection cleared up. Ugh.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

ghost story posted:

Are there any "good" or "better" times of day to fly? One leg is going to be 3 hours long and one is under an hour. Naps are pretty hit and miss and none are during the available windows. Its either early morning, morning, or late afternoon/night. Or is it just a "pick something and pray that everything lines up and you might get out alive?" thing.

This is assuming we can get her ear infection cleared up. Ugh.

Depends on your kid, but I'd go for the mid-morning flights, myself: you won't be trying to get to the airport at oh-dark-thirty, but you're still likely to avoid the "I have been up all day and I am overtired and I don't like this airplane and I want every other passenger to know" experience of a later flight. If on the other hand your kid's most cheerful time of day is consistently after dinner, maybe you could chance the late afternoon/night flights.

(Also, if you are going to be buying a seat for your daughter and having her ride in her car seat, the earlier flights might be less crowded, which will make getting the car seat buckled into the airplane a little less of a hassle, especially if you're flying an airline that does not let families board early.)

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
She goes to bed a little after 6, so its tempting to try a night one but then we wouldn't arrive at our final airport until 10:30. Oh - also add in going back a time zone too. I'm just going to be "mean" and try to keep her on EST since we're only visiting for a few days.

I'm planning on just holding her. I'll have Mr. ghost along to tend to the baggage/other passengers.

I have to call American (airport only has 2 carriers; United has obscene ticket prices) to book our tickets. I'll see if they let families board early.

Despite the trials this may have, I'm sure it beats the alternative of driving. Without stops it would have been 20 hours, one way, and I was not on board with that.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Check JetBlue first. They're usually non stop, let you bring a ton of freebie baggage for lap infants (diaper bag, car seat and stroller), and let you board first with kids.

Mid day is definitely best, so you're not messing them up by waking them up early or messing with bedtime. Bonus points if you can keep them awake till the flight... for some reason Chris got so cowed by takeoff he'd be asleep before we reached cruising altitude no matter how long it had been since his nap.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
We've always had the best luck with early morning flights. My baby is always exceedingly happy to wake up early, and then falls back to sleep when we take off. The worst for us has been late afternoon and early evening flights because he won't sleep on the plane.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'm hoping I can find something that works for us and isn't outrageously expensive. At worst its only for a few hours and has a set end point.

Right now she's on a few meds and some I don't think she's really getting much since she pushes it back out. Am I missing something other than squirt a little in the back and try to minimize the mess?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lightly blowing on a baby's face causes them to close their mouth and swallow.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Depends on what it is, but if it's something that can be mixed with breastmilk then waiting til kiddo is hungry can work. I give my son his thyroid meds before his first feeding in the morning, but that's a pill that is crushed and mixed with breastmilk, I use an oral syringe to administer it. Probably won't work with just straight medicine though.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ghost story posted:

I'm hoping I can find something that works for us and isn't outrageously expensive. At worst its only for a few hours and has a set end point.

Right now she's on a few meds and some I don't think she's really getting much since she pushes it back out. Am I missing something other than squirt a little in the back and try to minimize the mess?

I use an oral dosing syringe, slide it along the outside of the gums to the back and dispense a little at a time, waiting for him to swallow each bit so he never gets a whole mouthful to spew out. When he was tiny and couldn't really fight it, I'd just go for the back of the mouth, but as his mouth got stronger and teeth started appearing I switched to outside the gumline for the meds he fights. Also see if you can get the pharmacy to change the flavorings until you find one she likes. Our pharmacy has like 15 or 20 different flavorings they can use, some he HATES and others he opens right up like a little baby bird for.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I have been having an absolutely terrible ordeal in my home. I have a four kids, and one of which is a 7 year old who sneaks EVERYTHING in the house.

I have tried restricting his sugar intake, which seemed to work very well. He went 2 weeks without sugar and the amount of was allotted each day was VERY low. Though, this took a SINGLE day of ruining and he was back to eating everything again. I have also tried taking toys away, TV and video game privileges... The whole 9 yards.

I have considered trying the "if my kids can't have it whenever they want, don't buy it" tactic, but I have a huge problem with this... My youngest has Cerebral Palsy, and his diet demands a high calorie/fat diet due to exerting more energy with each move he makes than a normal person would. We buy him Peanut Chocolate Fiber One bars. finding a healthy snack that is high is calories is difficult, and he eats one of these a day. When he eats this, it's generally in the morning before any of his brother or sisters wakes up, so it's not something they knew about.... Until recently. Recently the other kids (minus the oldest, who knows and understands VERY well why he gets his snacks that they don't get. Though she gets her own she hides in her room and they don't know about) found out he had a case... yes a case... were hidden in our room for him to eat. Two days later, 4 boxes were gone. My first and only thought was, "Damien." He initially lied about doing it. I, in fairness, asked his sisters, and both of them denied doing it. His oldest sister is honest with us about just about everything, in fact, when she does get into things without asking, she comes to us, apologizes and expresses her guilt. Great kid! The youngest sister is too terrified of getting in trouble to get into food, though she has her rules she breaks constantly, getting into treats is not one of them. The youngest gets a few other snacks he has in the morning, which help give him a significant calorie boost in the morning which have come up missing over the next day or two after changing the hiding spot each day. I'm finding myself having to spend a lot of extra money each week to get these snacks that he legitimately and medically needs.

As well, I buy boxes of fruit flavored gum, which helps keep my sugar cravings under control. He recently found where I hide my gum, and ate three packs in one day while I was at work.

The biggest problem with this boy isn't that he will sneak one or two things a day, it's the fact that he sneaks ALL of one of two things he sneaks a day. He will even eat ENTIRE jars of peanut butter. We buy the LARGE jars of peanut butter as well as reduced fat peanut butter for just the adults, which we use in our banana smoothies in the morning. I would love to buy ALL reduced fat peanut butter, but with the grocery list and tight budget, I cannot afford 5-6 jars of it a week with him sneaking it. I even hide my peanut butter so it doesn't get eaten. About the only thing that is even a hint of sweet, he will eat, this includes ENTIRE bottles of mio fit, WITHOUT water. He will simply spray the entire bottle into his mouth and drink it.

I do most of the cooking and grocery shopping in the house. I have a VERY strong influence on 100% of everything that walks through the door. We try to keep fruit readily available, though they get a 1 per day limit on days they go to school and 2 per day limit on every other days (unfortunately, if we don't limit them the fruit we get each week will be gone in less than 2 days, and stocking a house full of fruit every 2 days is a pain), this includes apples, oranges and bananas. I buy cases of pretzels at a time and having a big container of pretzels in the dining room along with a, just as big, container full of animal crackers as well all of the kids are allowed to have these as long as they ask (we NEVER tell them no unless it's right before dinner). I cook large and filling breakfasts, we do NOT buy cereal but once or twice a month. Us having cereal is like a godsend to the kids. I cook each child two to three eggs, a tortilla and sauteed onions and peppers. All of their food is cooked in a light oil except for the youngest, who's food is cooked in butter (extra calories). The kids drink Fat Free milk, again exception of the youngest drinking whole, I cook balanced meals with large portions of vegetables and protein, lighter portions of carbohydrates and no added calories from cheeses/creams etc. I do my best to cook healthy for the kids and not keep things to tempt him around the house, but now that he's discovered Thomas' stash of snacks and where I hide my gum, he will literally spend every waking moment of the day waiting for a chance to go look for them. His sneaking gum has gotten so bad, I had to forgo his daily piece of gum (everyone but the oldest gets a piece every day, I give her a pack every week for herself and to share with friends).

I feel like I have tried everything but locking the stuff in a safe, but I feel as if I shouldn't need to do this. For the most part, I have already gone to, "if the kids can't have it, don't buy it" but in my circumstances, this is absolutely impossible. As stated before, it's not easy to find high calorie snacks that are healthy. Everything is so tempting to eat, hell I have a hard time every day NOT eating his snacks. It's hard even for me, and I have direct access to them.

Help Goons, mother is on the verge of going insane. We cannot take another day of having an entire box or more of one of his snacks. Dealing with it is stressful, having to spend more money on things another child NEEDS is even more stressful, and when he takes the remaining of what he has, you can multiply the stress levels into frustration, and maybe one day, worse. I don't want to yell at him, but we're about to snap.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Is it possible that he's acting out against feeling like he's never able to have treats, which his brother gets every day? If the kid is seven he's not going to be totally understanding about why his brother gets something that he does not.

And why can't the kid have a fiber one bar if he wants? Everyone seems to get something but him.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2019

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You need to step back. Basically, everything is restricted from him. You're offering him 2 snacks, both dry & kind of tasteless carbs. Just buy greater quantities of fruit, get raw veggies (you could even smear peanut butter ON them or offer it to dip in. Remember that in the end, you WANT him to eat lots of fruit and vegetables!

I grew up in a house like this with mom's treats hidden away and locked cupboards. It did not teach me anything except resentment. I understand the frustration of not expecting things to be gone and having unexpected costs, but you sound like you really resent your kid for being a kid and being impulsive. He doesn't have the self-control or brainpower of a grownup. Teach him what's good to have, and talk about how a can of peanut butter makes you wildly sick, but take the same can and eat it a bit at a time with these delicious apples and you feel way better.

If you're on such a tight budget that you can't share your other son's granola bars with the rest of the family, maybe you should try to find something else high-calorie that everyone can share in. The eldest gets the privilege of a whole pack of gum, your special needs child gets the chocolate bars, mom gets hidden treats. A 7-year-old doesn't understand that! And also probably doesn't realize that eating 2 boxes out of a case is THAT much, when there's the rest of a case left!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You also have to be careful with not giving him issues with food.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Sounds like he sees his older sister and youngest brother get extra treats all the time and he doesn't, so he figures he has to steal stuff all the time to get anything good at all.

You are basically going to have to level the playing field if you want the behavior to stop, because he is just going to keep competing with his siblings to get what he thinks is his due. Everyone gets the same thing (see if there's a high and low fat version of one treat that you could feed your CP son) and maybe once he feels that things are "fair" he'll stop acting out so much.

Also maybe cut back on "your" treats too to show him you're willing to play by the same rules that you enforce on him. My husband and I consider everything we eat to have a "baby tax" attached to it, as in at least 5% of whatever we sit down to consume gets shared with our son. It helps us keep junk food out of the house at any rate.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The four things I always have in the house that my kids have free access to are apples, oranges, carrots and celery. They're the least expensive fruits/veggies to buy in bulk so we always keep a ton on hand. Having free access to these snacks does mean I have to shop for produce more often, but so be it. The kids are eating healthy and they self-regulate just fine, because they know that if they're hungry there's always something it's OK to eat. Food does not have an emotional component for them. In fact, I only have two restrictions I've ever placed on my kids- 1) have something healthy before you have something that's empty calories and 2) don't start snacking if you see me cooking dinner. Two is really more out of a respect issue than a food issue- if I'm making dinner it means we'll be eating as a family very soon, and I want everyone at the table and enjoying what I just spend 30-60 minutes working on- and they know and understand that.

Your restriction of the gum seems especially odd to me. The oldest gets a pack to do with as she wishes, but the others having it parceled out to them one piece at a time like it's wartime rations creates a huge emotional differential. If the oldest gets a pack a week, why not give the other kids a pack a week? If they decide to eat it all in one day, well that's their choice. They don't get another pack until next week, same as everyone else.

At seven your son is old enough to understand that your child with CP needs a special diet. If you tell him that those foods are like medicine- they help the child with CP to stay healthier, he may be more reluctant to eat four boxes of it in two days. Particularly if he has free access to plenty of fruits and veggies in their place. The key is to change the emotional outlook he has with those foods- right now all he knows is he's not supposed to have them, but doesn't really know why- he just thinks his parents are treating him unfairly so he's going to rebel against the system that's not taking his needs into account. Which he does by sneaking and gorging on what he's being "unfairly" restricted from- food. And then when he does this, he gets punished even harder by being restricted from his toys and games.

What I would do in this situation is sit him down and have a conversation with him. Explain to him that the foods you hide in your room are just for the kid with CP, and why. I'd then ask him to pick out his own special healthy snack to have when he's hungry, and make sure he always has it available for when he's hungry. You might even want to change it up every week so he doesn't get tired of apples or whatever all the time- take him with when you go grocery shopping, and let him pick out his snacks. Teach him what the things on the nutrition labels mean so he knows how to tell healthy foods from unhealthy and make better choices. Give him back some of the power to control what goes in his stomach.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Everything about that post screams Eating Disorder Ahoy! Your control issues with food are quite a thing. Have you talked with a doctor about it?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Tbh the more I read that post the more it seems really apparent that there are some serious issues in the family and that the fault likely doesn't lie with your seven year old child. Please examine your reasons for locking up food, excluding only one of your children from having any kinds of treats, and what you are feeding your special needs child. There are tons of foods that would meet the nutritional/fat/calorie requirements that are healthier and less expensive than fiber one bars, if that truly is the issue.

Please re-read your post and think about the way you describe your son and ask yourself if the problem truly is with him being a lying sneak, rather than you being restrictive and exclusionary.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
To be honest, I'm a bit concerned by everything being reduced fat (lite oil? there's nothing wrong with butter). If your child is sensitive to sugar, a lot of this reduced fat stuff supplements with increased sugar. This can rocket up their sugar cravings. Lack of dietary fat in a diet can also cause cravings for things like peanut butter, which if you buy the cheap store brand is chock full of sugar. I'd investigate why your child gets those kinds of cravings as well.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
As for my treats, I eat bananas, I have Mio fit drink mix, they have their own too, I buy each of them two sugar free kool-aid mixes each month. When they're out, they're out and have to wait until next month. I was 390lbs at the beginning of last year, I'm now 230. I don't really buy that many sweets ---- at all. If I did, I'd eat them, when I do buy treats, I buy enough for everyone to have a single serving for dessert after dinner. Mom does NOT keep snacks around for herself, at all, aside from Diet Soda. The kids aren't allowed to have soda except for on the weekends, school or not. She eats the same thing everyone else does. We literally, aside from gum and Tom's snacks, buy nothing extra to put up for us. If we want something, we have flour, sugar, eggs and other things to make it. And when we make it, everyone gets some.

We give him and his twin sisters different snacks other than the pretzels and animal crackers almost daily. They each get their piece of gum, and they'll get half of a banana with peanut butter on it, a nutra grain bar (if I had time to stop at the store during the week to get them) or other granola bars. I also forgot to mention we buy three GALLONS of cottage cheese they're allowed whenever they want -- as long as they ask. We buy carrots and celery which we give them with lowfat greek yogurt mixed with ranch dressing seasoning. I try to make everything at home if possible, it allows me to control what goes into it, as well as taste how I want it to. I can make really REALLY sweet indulgent things and leave them out, and he won't touch them. He would rather eat the things that are packaged it seems.

We never deny the kids snacks (unless they're asking for cupcakes or something terrible for them every minute of the day), I make more food than everyone will eat for each meal and encourage them all to eat until they're comfortable. Damien will eat two, sometimes three plates of food. He doesn't EVER gain a pound and is a VERY active child. Though, I really don't want him to grow up to be obese. Hell, I did.

I almost feel like his problem is a spike in cravings when sugar is given to him. When he we very closely regulate his sugar intake, he doesn't seem to get into sugar items as much, instead he will eat fruit, pretzels, dairy and vegetables.

I might just start keeping everything for the youngest and the kids' treats in the car. It is the one place I can actually lock things up and have no one but myself and mom have access to as the key is always on my belt loop, and the spare is hidden. Our room is in the attic of the house, so we do not have a door. There is no way to completely lock them out of our room. And even though our room is off limits, and he gets in more trouble for coming into our room without permission than sneaking treats.

I may go to the store today and get a couple of cases of those sugar free ice pops, throw them in the freezer and let them all have them whenever they want and limit the youngest to one a day. Maybe this could be a step forward into the psychological warfare that is raising children. This could give each of the other kids a sense of having something more than Thomas to balance out Thomas' morning snacks. I honestly wish I could afford another $100-200 a month for each of the kids to get one or two granola bars or other snack like that a day, but I struggle with my food budget managing him having his bars and other snacks as it is. This struggle should go away soon, as I returned to work on Mother's Day and the extra income, once i catch up on what we were behind on from me not working, will help with being able to provide extra snacks and things for the kids. Maybe instead of buying the snacks, I can make a full sheet tray of some sort of oat bar with raisins and dehydrated fruits in it. This would cost fractions of the price of pre packaged items, and I don't mind taking the time to make things like this, in fact I work in a kitchen, so it's what I do!

Marchegiana posted:

At seven your son is old enough to understand that your child with CP needs a special diet. If you tell him that those foods are like medicine- they help the child with CP to stay healthier, he may be more reluctant to eat four boxes of it in two days. Particularly if he has free access to plenty of fruits and veggies in their place. The key is to change the emotional outlook he has with those foods- right now all he knows is he's not supposed to have them, but doesn't really know why- he just thinks his parents are treating him unfairly so he's going to rebel against the system that's not taking his needs into account. Which he does by sneaking and gorging on what he's being "unfairly" restricted from- food. And then when he does this, he gets punished even harder by being restricted from his toys and games.

What I would do in this situation is sit him down and have a conversation with him. Explain to him that the foods you hide in your room are just for the kid with CP, and why. I'd then ask him to pick out his own special healthy snack to have when he's hungry, and make sure he always has it available for when he's hungry. You might even want to change it up every week so he doesn't get tired of apples or whatever all the time- take him with when you go grocery shopping, and let him pick out his snacks. Teach him what the things on the nutrition labels mean so he knows how to tell healthy foods from unhealthy and make better choices. Give him back some of the power to control what goes in his stomach.

We have done this several times. We have even gone the extra mile to show him how Thomas's ribs are visible in his back because he has issues gaining weight due to what he burns. We explain Thomas' needs to Damien and the other children often.

I have an idea though, going to go talk to him and make sure he knows where the 10 lbs of baby carrots, celery and apples are.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 9, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I don't really have much to add about your 7 year old, as I think others have said it well. But I would like to chime in on your youngest's needs.

My child has a disability that makes him need a high calorie/high fat diet as well. There are a ton of ways to increase calories in his diet. Frankly, Fiber One bars are probably one of the worst - each bar is only like 90 calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter has more calories than that. Instant breakfast added to skim milk has more calories than that. Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese. When it comes right down to it, there's always Duocal powder. Every time I take Liam in to the pediatrician at Children's Hospital for a checkup, he gives me the latest handout from the nutritionists on staff about what foods are best for a child who needs a high calorie/high fat diet. I'd highly encourage you to ask the pediatrician about the best way to add those calories in. Perhaps even ask for a referral to a nutritionist to do an evaluation of his current diet and give you a personalized list (we did this about a year ago, she determined that his diet was incredibly balanced but that I needed to find a way to get 100 more calories into him per day, then gave me a long list of ways to do it).

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

I don't really have much to add about your 7 year old, as I think others have said it well. But I would like to chime in on your youngest's needs.

My child has a disability that makes him need a high calorie/high fat diet as well. There are a ton of ways to increase calories in his diet. Frankly, Fiber One bars are probably one of the worst - each bar is only like 90 calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter has more calories than that. Instant breakfast added to skim milk has more calories than that. Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese. When it comes right down to it, there's always Duocal powder. Every time I take Liam in to the pediatrician at Children's Hospital for a checkup, he gives me the latest handout from the nutritionists on staff about what foods are best for a child who needs a high calorie/high fat diet. I'd highly encourage you to ask the pediatrician about the best way to add those calories in. Perhaps even ask for a referral to a nutritionist to do an evaluation of his current diet and give you a personalized list (we did this about a year ago, she determined that his diet was incredibly balanced but that I needed to find a way to get 100 more calories into him per day, then gave me a long list of ways to do it).

The bars we're using are 210 calories a piece.

Last time we were at Cerebral Palsy clinic, we asked the nutritionist about other foods to add to his diet and she recommended to "keep it as it is."

Rurutia posted:

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned by everything being reduced fat (lite oil? there's nothing wrong with butter). If your child is sensitive to sugar, a lot of this reduced fat stuff supplements with increased sugar. This can rocket up their sugar cravings. Lack of dietary fat in a diet can also cause cravings for things like peanut butter, which if you buy the cheap store brand is chock full of sugar. I'd investigate why your child gets those kinds of cravings as well.

The bulk of the reduced fat items we use are for the adults and oldest child. We are doing our best to control our caloric intake.

When giving the kids food and other things, I use canola oil to cook for the kids instead of vegetable oil or butter. I cook with nuts and oats a lot, and make sure their fiber intake is around 15 grams per day. And as for brand of Peanut Butter, I generally buy Jiff.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 9, 2013

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

A SPECIAL UNICORN posted:

Be careful you don't pass on your food issues, which is where I see this heading. If you stop making food/treats such a big deal, the desire for them will fade. It will take time, because right now your seven year old's obsession with the forbidden is unhealthy, but as he starts to realise he is no longer going to be denied treats he will start to react better.

For what it's worth, the issue with food lies with you and how you handle it. Your seven year old is just being a seven year old who thinks he is being deprived (and really, he is with all these restrictions.)

Seconding that the bars you're giving your youngest sound like a bad choice. You could probably make some oatmeal and peanut butter cookies with more calories, and everyone in the family can share those? If the seven year old wants packaged food, wrap it in backing parchment first or something.

I've been trying to not restrict him from much of anything. But maybe trying to not restrict him is ultimately leading me to further restrict him from things. Maybe I should just cut sodas out from the house altogether, stop buying these bars and start grinding up nuts and making his treats every day or two. With my gum, I could easily keep that under the seat in the car and there would be no knowing it's even around. I primarily buy gum for work because I'm surrounded by chocolate and cakes ALL day long. Bringing it an extra mile, I could just keep it at work, I have my own storage area.

I work in a kitchen, so I make a treat every night before I come home, the adults get a small portion and the kids get slightly larger than the adults. These treats are usually something like a fruit salad, salad greens topped with sweet and sour dressing with fruit mixed in, sometimes two piece of cheesecake split between everyone. I do my best to NOT leave him out from treats, in fact, over the past few weeks I've been doing my best to further include the kids in things that Thomas doesn't get to, thinking that this might be resentment induced by the youngest getting things they don't.