Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
what flavor is it adding? Those look like pale ale and american ale flavors.. so.. what beer are you adding THEM to ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Docjowles posted:

God drat it. The IPA I brewed about a month ago has this awful chemical flavor to it that I can't quite place. Tastes like soap and plastic and is basically undrinkable.
I don't know if you saw my post a few months back, but I basically had this exact same thing happen, and initially suspected cleaner. Initially, the beer was completely undrinkable, and I would spit it out after a couple sips. I brought it to the local brewshop and lots of brewers, and a good number of folks commented that it was possible for some hops to give off this flavor, and it might age out. Sure enough, 2 months later, it's become a totally drinkable, solid IPA! So don't dump it yet: just let it age and see what happens.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

To be fair that might make a lot of domestics actually drinkable

Or you could buy a beer worth drinking in the first place.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LeeMajors posted:

Or you could buy a beer worth drinking in the first place.

Whoa let's not get carried away, it's a perfectly acceptable solution to save $1 per drink and carry around an oddly shaped plastic container with mystery chemicals to drop into the beer (a practice which will probably get you kicked out of any establishment)

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
First BIAB today; can't wait to try out my new Banjo burner and 10 gallon pot! Saison time :getin:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

fullroundaction posted:

They also had this IPA which had the most ridiculously sweet/fruity aroma I've ever smelled and wanted to replicate immediately ... but the rep didn't know what hops they used and I've had no luck finding them online. Messaged the brewery so hopefully they'll respond. It was like a hoppy fruit rollup.

Try El Dorado or HBC 342 if you can get your hands on them. You might have to get them in a hop blend, though. They can definitely give you blueberry/fruity pebbles. A lot of Citra or expecially Galaxy DIPAs also give me some big fruit when combined with the DIPA sweetness, but I regularly make galaxy-heavy IPAs and it's the usual mango sort of flavor.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Roundboy posted:

right, but you have to still get liquid moving from outside in (or inside out) to let the hot part touch the cold part :) Dont just immerse in ice water and leave it
No amount of maximizing contact will cool 5 gallons of boiling liquid in a sink filled with ice down to 100 in a few minutes, but agitation does help a tremendous amount.

For cooling my 5 gallon batches I use 32lbs of reusable freezer packs in 10 gallons of tap water with a sort of reverse-immersion chiller. For 8+ gallons I use 10 gallons of regular tap water (75F+, yay Florida!) to get it down between 125-140F, dump that, then go with the ice water.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A 10lb bag of ice in a rubbermaid tub full of tap water gets about 3 gallons of wort from boiling to around 100F in about 15 minutes for me if I stir both the wort and ice bath regularly (though not with the same spoon). You have to be careful because that commercial ice is probably the most unsanitary thing to come in range of the wort.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 7, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

what flavor is it adding? Those look like pale ale and american ale flavors.. so.. what beer are you adding THEM to ?

If it is hop extract then the american ale one probably is more bitter and maybe has more aroma, if that is possible.

Or maybe it is the same stuff in both containers with two different labels cooked up by the marketing department to make the customer feel like he has options.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

RiggenBlaque posted:

"OnTap Beer is free of calories, carbs, gluten, and alcohol and it changes the beer's flavor without adding more sugars or calories." which I guess implies it's maybe just hop extract?

I don't think it's JUST hop extract - it has color and more volume than I would expect if you were just adding hop extract, based on the video. I think it's hop extract, water, and colorings. All the hoo-ha about what it does not have tells me who its target market is - people who drink Michelob Ultra because their doctor told them to lose weight, but who hate the way it tastes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jo3sh posted:

I don't think it's JUST hop extract - it has color and more volume than I would expect if you were just adding hop extract, based on the video. I think it's hop extract, water, and colorings. All the hoo-ha about what it does not have tells me who its target market is - people who drink Michelob Ultra because their doctor told them to lose weight, but who hate the way it tastes.

Natural Ice is the calorie conscious choice! http://getdrunknotfat.com

Fluo
May 25, 2007

the yellow dart posted:

Drink more beers that come in 22s :colbert:

This isn't wine buddy.

US standard large bottle (22US oz/650.6ml) but European is 750ml (25US oz).

That is unless you get a bottle like:

:unsmigghh:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 7, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluo posted:

US standard large bottle (22US oz/650.6ml) but European is 750ml (25US oz).

That is unless you get a bottle like:

:unsmigghh:

In my house, we call that an apéritif. :cheers:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I figured I'd share my recipe for my Citra pale ale since it's getting rave reviews.I've been giving samples to customers and employees all day and while I feel there's some flattery going on, I've been getting positive feedback. Our resident wine expert loves it, she even noted the subtle caramel in it from the crystal. I was planning on adding the amount of crystal I had in my original recipe, 0.75 ounces, but now I think I'm going to go to 0.5 ounces to keep the flavor focused on the hops.

The bitterness is mild to moderate with citrus and mango being strong, the nose is wonderful lots of ripe mango and pineapple. I plan to add 0.5 ounces more at flame out and 0.5 ounces split between dry hopping and a 10 minute addition. I really enjoy this though and with some slight tweaks I plan to brew this for contests, it's great.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I don't have the capabilities to have a barrel for aging sour beers both with the long term storage and ability to brew 60 gallons over a short period of time, but it's still a dream of mine to have one. A local brew club in Minneapolis set up a club project with 4 barrels. One of the talents behind brewing TV was there to document their process. Personally, I would have voted for all four of them to be sours because I feel the other barrel qualities are much more controlled with oak cubes and whatever flavoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTtTRet8eU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I thought hops didn't flower until July-August. My first year Cascade plant seems to be having a problem with its internal clock. Does this mean it is going to put out hops for the next few months? The primary vine is already over 20 feet tall and I'm not sure what to do about it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Toebone posted:

I had this problem when I first got my keg setup, turns out the beverage tubes Midwest included with the kit were way too short for a reasonable pour and I had to turn serving pressure way down. What length / diameter is your tube?

It's 5' of 3/16" tubing. The gas line is 4' of 5/16" tubing. I force carbed for three days or so at 20 psi, purged the gas from the headspace, then set to serve at 10 psi. Is my line too short for that pressure?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

illcendiary posted:

It's 5' of 3/16" tubing. The gas line is 4' of 5/16" tubing. I force carbed for three days or so at 20 psi, purged the gas from the headspace, then set to serve at 10 psi. Is my line too short for that pressure?

5 feet is always what I see recommended but I've never met anyone with 5 feet of liquid line that was happy with the pour.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't suppose anyone has a bag of #000 solid stoppers, do they? I need six but can't find them in town, and the only options I'm finding online are either like $3 per stopper, or $0.60 per stopper with $10 shipping.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

illcendiary posted:

What's the rise on your faucet? http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/07/18/getting-a-good-pour-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/
(imo you'll still end up tweaking things)

The farmers market berry people today said they are hoping for sour cherries next week. I am very excite :homebrew:

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

CapnBry posted:

I thought hops didn't flower until July-August. My first year Cascade plant seems to be having a problem with its internal clock. Does this mean it is going to put out hops for the next few months? The primary vine is already over 20 feet tall and I'm not sure what to do about it.

A first year plant that is already 20' tall? My record is 6' on the first year. What kind of radioactive fertilizer did you give that thing?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
When did you plant, CapnBry? I planted a Cascade rhizome about 7 weeks ago and it's around 7 feet long currently.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
quote="illcendiary" post="416266802"]
[/quote]

You'll need to tweak it based on your particular setup, but I'm gonna go ahead and say you need a longer liquid line. I went from 5' to I think 8 or 10 and my pours became 100x better.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sitting here watching my pizza dough rise and wondering why such a small amount of baking yeast gives off such a high volume of CO2 in such a short amount of time, but when exponentially more cells are pitched into a much simpler food source it can sometimes take days to see the effects.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Sitting here watching my pizza dough rise and wondering why such a small amount of baking yeast gives off such a high volume of CO2 in such a short amount of time, but when exponentially more cells are pitched into a much simpler food source it can sometimes take days to see the effects.

Baking yeast is selected for those qualities, and yeast for beer has different qualities still.

Although people have made both with either.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ScaerCroe posted:

A first year plant that is already 20' tall? My record is 6' on the first year. What kind of radioactive fertilizer did you give that thing?
I planted it in a raised bed made from 2x6 using Miracle Gro organic topsoil which means it is full of manure. I know they're supposed to go into "Sandy Loam" but wtf I am a computer programmer not some soil..ologist! I didn't want to spend $100 on doing the right thing only to find out they couldn't hack it here in Tampa heat. They seem to be doing pretty well but it hasn't been very hot here yet. I also have a Centennial that's about 12' tall as well, but no hops on it yet.

illcendiary: I planted on April 13th for the Cascade, April 20th for the Centennial (the original rhizome I got rotted before I could get it in the ground). So 8 and 7 weeks respectively. It was at least 2 weeks from planting to having enough bine to reach the trellis ropes and then 20 feet in 6 weeks.

The first couple of feet sprouted vines out of the vine. Do they know which direction they're growing? If growing up then make hop arms. If growing sideways, make moar vine!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EnsignVix posted:

Couple questions on this if you don't mind.

1) Pellets in a muslin bag okay?

That's what I used.

quote:

2) Is it alright to just leave the keg in the kegerator after dropping the hops in?

That's exactly what I did, just threw the bag in right before I sealed it up and carbonated it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Bad Munki posted:

I don't suppose anyone has a bag of #000 solid stoppers, do they?

Morebeer has 'em for 45 cents each and free shipping if you spend $59. Might be worth it as an add-on if you need other stuff anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, I'll just order $60 worth of #000 stoppers. :v:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Roundboy posted:

my holy grail is finding cappable 750ml bottles. I can get some great craft beers locally and reuse the bottles, but a proper source for these would be awesome.

I just buy lots of sparkling apple juice. My kids get that instead of soda for treats so it goes fast, and at around $2.75 a bottle it's only slightly more expensive than new champagne bottles at the brew store.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Racked my saison into secondary. It's looking pretty healthy so far.

I can't believe I'm actually doing this!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Oh man, that looks like its gonna be great! How long you planning on having it in secondary?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Myron Baloney posted:

I just buy lots of sparkling apple juice. My kids get that instead of soda for treats so it goes fast, and at around $2.75 a bottle it's only slightly more expensive than new champagne bottles at the brew store.

Actually,this is an awesome suggestion and i know exactly the stuff you are talking about.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

That looks great, my saison was the best beer I made before I got temperature control. The yeast loves these hot summer days.

Just as an FYI, secondary isn't really considered necessary anymore, you can leave your beer in primary the full time and it will be just as good or better. Secondary fermenters are a holdover from wine making, which was legal long before home brewing in most places. (It also lets retailers sell you an extra carboy with your starter kit)

That said, doing a secondary certainly won't hurt the beer as long as you're careful with sanitation and splashing. The second carboy will also be useful to have around for fruit beers, lagers, fermenting two batches at once, etc :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

That looks great, my saison was the best beer I made before I got temperature control. The yeast loves these hot summer days.

Just as an FYI, secondary isn't really considered necessary anymore, you can leave your beer in primary the full time and it will be just as good or better. Secondary fermenters are a holdover from wine making, which was legal long before home brewing in most places. (It also lets retailers sell you an extra carboy with your starter kit)

That said, doing a secondary certainly won't hurt the beer as long as you're careful with sanitation and splashing. The second carboy will also be useful to have around for fruit beers, lagers, fermenting two batches at once, etc :)

I find secondary helps if you don't want a bottle conditioned beer and it helps if you don't want too much of a yeasty taste with some types of beers like British Bitters, however Belgian beers tend to love having that yeast taste. :3:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I just racked to secondary to cold crash at around 30 F. My secondary bucket doesn't have an airlock hole. Is this something to be concerned about? I'll keep an eye on it but this strain is pretty inactive at that temp...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You could drill a hole, or just not lock the lid down and leave it just sitting on the bucket if you're worried about it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Filboid Studge posted:

I just racked to secondary to cold crash at around 30 F. My secondary bucket doesn't have an airlock hole. Is this something to be concerned about? I'll keep an eye on it but this strain is pretty inactive at that temp...

The act of moving the beer usually causes it to release a bunch of gas (and sometimes can restart an otherwise stuck fermentation) so I would just pop the lid open and let out any excess pressure every day or so until you're sure there's no lid-bursting buildup.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Brewing my honey ale today. Also found a bonus beer in the back of the fridge. The last chocolate bock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Fluo posted:

Oh man, that looks like its gonna be great! How long you planning on having it in secondary?

My recipe says a week. Should I consider longer?