Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Which particular scene was that?

It's when Hope and Lightning are wandering around and see one of the Cocoon fal'cie which I think was named after Carbuncle. They go off on a tangent about how the fal'cie feed and protect humans like pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

It's when Hope and Lightning are wandering around and see one of the Cocoon fal'cie which I think was named after Carbuncle. They go off on a tangent about how the fal'cie feed and protect humans like pets.

Ah yeah. That's a weird scene.

In the Japanese version at least, the basic structure of that scene is that they're discussing the relationship they have with the Fal'Cie. Lightning basically assumes that humanity is like an insect to the Fal'cie but Hope points out they're treated more like pets. The phrasing prompts Lightning to realize that the Fal'cie basically have tamed humanity the way humanity does herd animals. She realizes that the reason she's freaking out is because she's basically been cut adrift, like a dog abandoned by its master, and so she's lashing out in anger and fear and with no context how to exist in the world. I think "pet" is the correct literal translation but the context is supposed to be "tamed animal."

Basically it's a long scene where Lightning comes to realize that her entire life has been controlled by the Fal'Cie to foster a specific mindset of subservience and obedience and she didn't realize it until she was cut adrift. Pet kinda captures that but it doesn't really convey the idea properly I think. Lightning is upset that she (and humanity as a whole) have been tamed but also realizes that the way she was acting is exactly what the Fal'Cie wanted and/or expected.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Which particular scene was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-vhhqECi8

Skip to 3:40. It's really stupid.

edit: well, at least people can now watch it in all its retarded glory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha, wow. They don't have any idea how to coach the voice acting. "Yeah, my entire worldview has been shattered. I am mildly put off by this I guess?"

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This game would sound better if it starred Evil Serah and Axe Snow.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
So I'm playing FFX for the first time, its also my first FF game aside from getting snippets here and there of 7 & 8 at friends' when I was a kid.

I have not been this entertained by a game in such a long time. It is REALLY well done. I'm now really looking forward to experiencing the rest of the the Final Fantasies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're in for a good time, but you should be warned that every Final Fantasy is very different from all the others.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

PastaSky posted:

So I'm playing FFX for the first time, its also my first FF game aside from getting snippets here and there of 7 & 8 at friends' when I was a kid.

I have not been this entertained by a game in such a long time. It is REALLY well done. I'm now really looking forward to experiencing the rest of the the Final Fantasies.

Play IX or XII next! It's hard to recommend the older ones to immediately follow a play-through of FFX since FFX has a pretty strong presentation. IX and XII won't be too much of a dramatic shift as your next FF game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess I'm pretty much done with FF7, just have to do the Northern Cave at some point. I did all the side stuff that's not designed specifically for insane people and I've spent a few hours now working on getting that gold chocobo.

I can't remember the last time I played a game where I actually reset it to abuse RNG stuff and still thought it was fun. A testament to how much fun I've had with this game.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

PastaSky posted:

FFX is easily one of the best. Just be careful, as some later enemies get pretty difficult if you don't keep up to snuff with the sphere grid.

I'd recommend trying VIII out next. It's Junction System makes combat interesting and it has one of the most strangely addicting mini-games in the series.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

After you finish Final Fantasy X, you should naturally play Final Fantasy X-2. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mazed posted:

After you finish Final Fantasy X, you should naturally play Final Fantasy X-2. :v:

You should, it's a very good game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nickname Pending posted:

I'd recommend trying VIII out next. It's Junction System makes combat interesting and it has one of the most strangely addicting mini-games in the series.

Opinions on VIII vary a great deal though, it's a pretty experimental game and a lot of the decisions they made aren't exactly praised. Worth seeing for yourself though.

Mazed posted:

alcharagia posted:

You should, it's a very good game.

Don't forget that the HD collection of both X and X-2 is coming for the PS3. And for the Vita too, although separately.

X-2 has a great combat system, very similar to V. how enjoyable the rest is depends entirely on your tolerance for fanservice, GIRL POWER, and whether or not you're a completionist. Especially that last one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Don't be a completionist for X-2. I love the game to death and I would never wish that on my worst enemies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a reason why Final Fantasy remains popular even though even the most well-rounded game in the series has flaws big enough that somebody is sure to consider them deal-breakers, and it's because if you don't like a given Final Fantasy, there's another one that does everything differently. This thread is full of such comparisons.

If you still like X by the end, then I think the ones most similar to it are IV, VII, and XIII, though for very different reasons; each of those three has as its worst feature something that the other two excel at. On the other hand, if you change your mind about your initial positive impressions, then VI, IX, or XII may be more up your alley. And if you burn out on all the drama, then I or V offers sweet release.

If you do proceed to the sequel and enjoy it, then you must absolutely play V next; in strictly mechanical terms, X-2 is more like V-2.

Kanfy posted:

Opinions on VIII vary a great deal though, it's a pretty experimental game and a lot of the decisions they made aren't exactly praised. Worth seeing for yourself though.

VIII failed in more interesting ways than most games succeed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The GIG posted:

Don't be a completionist for X-2. I love the game to death and I would never wish that on my worst enemies.

This is true. I tried to be a completionist and it drained my will to live before I reached the end. One day maybe I'll finish it...

The problem with X-2 is that it's really "lovely Minigames: The Game." The battle system IS pretty fun; unfortunately, it seems like you hardly ever get to USE it because you're just moving from one inane unfun minigame to the next. Also, the storyline and every cutscene makes my eyes bleed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I have gotten the second tablet in my Freelancer FFV run. I might get them all, I haven't decided yet, since the Earth Bell is always useless, and the Magus Rod isn't useful with no magic (I can use the Magic Lamp, but as I skipped most summons it won't power up most of the ones I have).

Bahamut was not actually that bad, I had three Reflect Rings and gave the last character my Aegis Shield (didn't trigger, but ah well). It took a few tries though as Earth Shaker was a full party wipe that I couldn't do anything about if he chose to use it.

Masamune is a big help as now I can cast Haste by using it, and the Sage Staff's Raise will help cut down on Phoenix Down usage. Defenders can cast Protect, I know there's one in Fork Tower which I'll need to get, but getting more will be a pain as I can't handle the Rukh/Sea Devil mob yet, and plus my only way to steal is hoping Mug triggers with my Thief's Knife, which is a bit unreliable. Money is still pretty limited though, as going through the Gil Cave in Galuf's World was definitely not an option. This sucks, because Elixirs are the only way to fully heal the party after a nasty attack, and they're expensive.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

Bahamut was not actually that bad, I had three Reflect Rings and gave the last character my Aegis Shield (didn't trigger, but ah well). It took a few tries though as Earth Shaker was a full party wipe that I couldn't do anything about if he chose to use it.

You could've confused a Gaelicat and let it cast Float.

This will let you also cheese Catastrophe in the end dungeon.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

You could've confused a Gaelicat and let it cast Float.

This will let you also cheese Catastrophe in the end dungeon.

Ah, see, I love FFV and have played it numerous times but I'm nowhere near an expert on it, so this is why I keep posting about this here, to get tips like this.

Confusing a Gaelicat would still be fairly time-consuming though, since as far as I know the only ways to do it are either a lucky Tempting Tango off the Dancing Dagger or Wonder Wand shenanigans.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or the Lamia Harp, but that's a rare drop from a mob in Phoenix Tower, which I doubt you want to go after.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I have gotten the second tablet in my Freelancer FFV run. I might get them all, I haven't decided yet, since the Earth Bell is always useless, and the Magus Rod isn't useful with no magic (I can use the Magic Lamp, but as I skipped most summons it won't power up most of the ones I have).

I'm a little confused by your meaning here. If you're implying that the Magic Lamp only calls summons that you've "acquired," that's not true- it casts every summon, whether you got it or not. Granted, most of the high-end summons aren't boostable, though.

The Summoner's !Call ability DOES only cast summons you've acquired, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I was under the impression Magic Lamp only called summons you've acquired, I was mistaken on that I guess. Then I suppose Magus Rod isn't completely worthless as it can boost some summons, though honestly I'll probably recharge it whenever it gives me Titan since I can just break rods for anything weak to primary elements.

Kyrosiris posted:

Or the Lamia Harp, but that's a rare drop from a mob in Phoenix Tower, which I doubt you want to go after.

Yeah getting three Reflect Rings was patience-wearing enough. Wonder Wand seems like the best method for getting floated for Catastrophe then (or at least the most reliable).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

The problem with X-2 is that it's really "lovely Minigames: The Game." The battle system IS pretty fun; unfortunately, it seems like you hardly ever get to USE it because you're just moving from one inane unfun minigame to the next. Also, the storyline and every cutscene makes my eyes bleed.

All things accounted for, the story wasn't especially stupid. It seemed like a reasonable follow-up to the events of the previous game in a variety of satisfying ways (spoilered for the dude now just playing through X): There's an intense wave of interest in Spira's previously-unknown history, Yuna's got a few motives of her own but generally wants to get her and her buddies in on that herself, and some vaguely bad poo poo gets dug up that they naturally have to save the day from. Nothing deep, feels like pulp adventure more than anything else.

I don't even remember most of the minigames, to be honest. Only one I paid attention to was Sphere Break, since it was needed for one of the dresspheres.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I will never forgive what they did to blitzball. I loved blitzball in X and seeing it turned into a very badly explained management sim was mildly depressing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was kind of dreading the first Bartandelus fight because I wanted a team of Lightning/Sazh/Vanille (knowing full well this isn't a great idea), but I ended up killing him in about three minutes, thanks to offensive buffs and Lightning's Smite. This team is way more awesome than I thought it'd be.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PastaSky posted:

It has one of the most compelling storylines and characters out of any of them, IMO. The thought they put into it matches the effort of some of the greatest fantasy authors currently around today. If you can get ahold of VII in some way or fashion, that would be the logical follow up since it matches it in scope and characterization. That's the way I was introduced to Final Fantasy wayyy back in the early 00's as a nerdy teenager (X then VII, followed up by VI and IV) and look at me today!

Also, don't listen to what everyone says about XIII being horrible because it's linear. Yes, it is linear and this is a flaw, but it is still leaps and bounds better than most games are these days. If it didn't have the name "Final Fantasy" attached to it and was developed by someone else, it'd probably be considered an instant classic.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 9, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SlenderWhore posted:

Also, don't listen to what everyone says about XIII being horrible because it's linear. Yes, it is linear and this is a flaw, but it is still leaps and bounds better than most games are these days. If it didn't have the name "Final Fantasy" attached to it and was developed by someone else, it'd probably be considered an instant classic.

No, no it's not and no it really wouldn't. Even if it wasn't linear it's still a bland senseless story with a setting that you never actually get to feel like you're part of since everything is so disconnected (And I'm not just talking about locations with that statement) with a battle system that is good when at it's best, boring and just tedious at its worst. That's not even talking about just how loving slow everything about that game's pacing was.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SlenderWhore posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. It's not bad because it's linear, it's bad because the linearity is badly done, along with a whole host of other flaws.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No, no it's not and no it really wouldn't. Even if it wasn't linear it's still a bland senseless story with a setting that you never actually get to feel like you're part of since everything is so disconnected (And I'm not just talking about locations with that statement) with a battle system that is good when at it's best, boring and just tedious at its worst. That's not even talking about just how loving slow everything about that game's pacing was.

Pureauthor posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. It's not bad because it's linear, it's bad because the linearity is badly done, along with a whole host of other flaws.

I found the story to be pretty easy to get into, actually, and the setting to be quite unique. It's still not as good as some of the better FF's, but good enough that I was invested into it enough to want to find out what happened next.

Interestingly enough, ZenMaster's opinion is exactly the opinion I have of XII. The characters were shallow and dull, the battle system was repetitive and MMO-like (and drove me loving crazy) and the story was a bland and uninteresting political power struggle typical of other fantasy genre stories. XIII fixed all of the above, including a battle system that was a vast improvement over the gambits of XII.

Now, is XIII the best in the series? Not even close. Not by a long shot. Is it a horrible game? No way.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SlenderWhore posted:

Interestingly enough, ZenMaster's opinion is exactly the opinion I have of XII. The characters were shallow and dull, the battle system was repetitive and MMO-like (and drove me loving crazy) and the story was a bland and uninteresting political power struggle typical of other fantasy genre stories. XIII fixed all of the above, including a battle system that was a vast improvement over the gambits of XII.

Saying XIII fixed the story problem is pretty disingenuous when all it did was go as far as humanly possible in the opposite direction: instead of a bland story with "shallow" characters, we got a story that was a confusing and ridiculous mess and characters who constantly had their pathos dial turned up to 11 and broke into monologues or arguments about which I didn't give a single poo poo at every turn in the game's mono-corridor.

It's one of the only videogames I've ever played where I had no idea what was going on by the end; it reminded me of being like 14 and feeling like I was the only person in the world who understood FFT and Xenogears because every review was like "whoa this story is complicated/the translation is bad", and I'm not sure if that means 13 is lightyears weirder and more impenetrable than those games were or if I've lost my capacity for bullshit and I would've liked XIII's story if I was 14.

The only mainseries game I think is a horrible game is FF2, which doesn't look half so horrible in the context of the other games that existed on the NES/Famicom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIII's story isn't confusing but it is pretty dumb. The bad translation really doesn't help though. FFT and Xenogears both suffer from the bad translation making a story seem complex when it's really not thing as well, thinking about it, although FFT's translation is a whole different level of bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

This is true. I tried to be a completionist and it drained my will to live before I reached the end. One day maybe I'll finish it...
The trick is to play it twice and choose a different party to support each time since they both count as independent completion% from one another. Since completion carries over in NG+, while you wouldn't get credit for joining New Yevon twice, you'd get >100% if you helped the other group in your second playthrough. Also I think the bonus dungeon gives something like an extra 5% on top of that if you can complete the whole thing, so there's a certain amount of content that you can skip and still be in the green. Just never try to do 100% on your first run.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FFXIII was a heap of art-asset scraps haphazardly glued together with overdone CGI, way too much money, and the broken dreams of its developers. Its story issues are just one of its many, many crippling problems.

I still get a perverse kick out of realizing that SE has basically saddled themselves with this mutant of an IP for over three years now.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I knew XIII would be bad the moment I found myself fighting a Behemoth in the first 15-20 minutes of gameplay.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oxxidation posted:

FFXIII was a heap of art-asset scraps haphazardly glued together with overdone CGI, way too much money, and the broken dreams of its developers. Its story issues are just one of its many, many crippling problems.

I still get a perverse kick out of realizing that SE has basically saddled themselves with this mutant of an IP for over three years now.

I love that their solution to the complaints of the story of XIII was to basically make the sequel's a complete non-sequitur. "Hey, I've got a great idea, let's stick time-travel in, that should help! Also call it the Lightning saga, even though she has the personality of a grumpy brick, and is barely in the second game. Because she's the main draw for this mess."

The terrible development behind the Final Fantasy: Fabulous Exploding Star Crystals mini-series, will never not entertaining :unsmigghh:

Three different titles - the main one took five years, and had such a cluster gently caress of people doing different things in isolation that it's a wonder that they released it, thinking they'd done a good job stitching it together (they haven't) - one of which has only been released in Japan (and will probably never see the light of day outside of fan-translations), and the other has been in purgatory for seven years.

Great job SE. :thumbsup:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

I knew XIII would be bad the moment I found myself fighting a Behemoth in the first 15-20 minutes of gameplay.

I haven't seen this amount of enemy recolours since the NES. They're still using the same enemies in Lightning Returns, so they can't even pretend they've put any effort into producing new assets.

I think VII has the most diverse cast of enemies, but I'm sure someone knows of a Final Fantasy games with more unique enemy sprites/models.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I haven't seen this amount of enemy recolours since the NES. They're still using the same enemies in Lightning Returns, so they can't even pretend they've put any effort into producing new assets.

I think VII has the most diverse cast of enemies, but I'm sure someone knows of a Final Fantasy games with more unique enemy sprites/models.

You didn't play Final Fantasy X then, I assume. That game is the king of recolors. The battle mechanics are even designed around it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

That loving Sned posted:

VIII has entirely unique models for every enemy, from what I remember. There's maybe 2 or 3 that are somewhat similar (Elnoyle and Elvoret being the most obvious), but that's about it.

e; IX has only a handful of recolours, made to differentiate between friendly and non-friendly enemies. Aside from that one mechanic, I'm pretty sure they're all unique as well but I don't remember IX anywhere near as well.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 9, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Nothing beats the giant sentient mutated house you encounter in the slums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII's story isn't confusing but it is pretty dumb. The bad translation really doesn't help though. FFT and Xenogears both suffer from the bad translation making a story seem complex when it's really not thing as well, thinking about it, although FFT's translation is a whole different level of bad.

Good example of what I mean by confusing: what's the deal with Cid being alive? Did we just not really kill him? Did Orphan bring him back to life? Was the boss I beat a fake Cid? And even if the answer to that question is really simple and I just wasn't paying attention, what was the point of bringing him back so he could commit suicide? It's totally nonsensical.

But yeah, I actually like FFT and think its story stands up to most of the stuff in the genre that follows it, but it really does have the worst translation. It isn't even internally consistent about the names of characters and locations, translating the same one two or three different ways at different parts of the script. Compounded by the fact that the game does have an intricate script for a console RPG, with a ton of names and poo poo to remember.