Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
I picked up this game a month or two after release, played sporadically for a month by myself, then quit. Now that it's going F2P and GW2 is singularly unsatisfying at the moment, I'm back to see what's what.

Turns out I rolled on Deepwood to begin with so I figure I'll join up with the goons. Character name is Ekera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
:havlat: 40 minute warning for hunt rifts:havlat: (5 server)

This is going to be all of them run very quickly for the purposes of getting myself and whoever else wants it the achievement so we can buy great hunt lures later. Pandetta and Liseuxuaus or however it's spelled are helping. All you have to do is show up and tag stuff. I don't think there's any loot worth picking up for a 60, but for 50s I have no idea. Sub 50s are welcome, I don't give a poo poo. I'll be bannering to the first rift I find and waiting for people to show up so as many as possible can get in. I also think it gives torvan or lycini rep? I have no idea on that front.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I got Rift! I like it a lot! Pop pop!

Can I get a guild invite? Character name Kayara.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Do you guys take trials? I'm doing the Raptr thing. Character name Forums.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Instead of the vague 150-200% reimbursement for spent credits, they've decided to just do 200% to everyone.

So if you buy credits on the PTS and spend them on items, when 2.3 hits your SPENT credits will be reimbursed 200%.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Trip report on deep's boxes on PTS (2 orange, 3 purple, 1 blue, also my character on PTS is level 50):

Plus 7 Deep's Lockbox keys. So yeah I think I'll just skip them until they start putting unique mounts and poo poo in them.

Also it seems like you get loyalty equal to double the amount of Credits you purchase, as well as double the amount you spend. I bought 3250 and spent 3248, putting me at 12996/30000 through green tier.

The daily/weekly patron gifts gave me 2 white artifacts, a lockbox key, and an Orb of Loyalty which grants 50 loyalty points.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 9, 2013

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Also it seems like you get loyalty equal to double the amount of Credits you purchase, as well as double the amount you spend. I bought 3250 and spent 3248, putting me at 12996/30000 through green tier.

I think there's some 1 credit items in the dimensions tab if you want to spend those last 2 credits.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Daerc posted:

I think there's some 1 credit items in the dimensions tab if you want to spend those last 2 credits.

I can confirm this, so if anyone's down to a few credits and can't find anything in the other tabs they can afford, go to the Dimensions items tab and there should be a bunch of 1 credit items you can get to make sure they're all spent before the 11th. :)

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Can I get an invite for Eteiric?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Daerc posted:

Thanks! All set for the 12th then!

...If I can hit 60 before then. :(

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
What happens when you put two level 49 pyros in pvp?

:stare:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

mr. nazi posted:

If you're going to raid, "king boss mods" is a must have.

For healing/click-castable raid frames, I like "click box healer".

For finding missed carnage quests in a zone "carnage book"

"gadgets" you might find multiple uses for, I use it for putting two boxes on my screen that show me active short-term buffs/debuffs; one box for self buffs, and another that shows me target buffs (i.e. for tracking warden heals on a player) or debuffs that I've cast if it's a mob I have targeted.

I'm sure there are lots of other good ones, those are just the 4 that I find myself always using/needing.

If you have a lot of mounts and/or pets, MountMe is great. It randomly summons one when you click the button so you can ride a different mount every time!

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

I decided to go ahead and buy a bunch of boxes on the PTS as well, to see what you can get. Sample size is still tiny but at least gives a bit of an idea whats inside.

(8 orange and 5 blue boxes total)

In addition to that, here is the split of marks you get from them:

Orange boxes (you get some marks every time):
Empyreal Slayer's Marks: 259 + 291 + 267
Freelancer's Marks: 358
Frozen Eclipse Stones: 31
Freelancer's Marks of Conquest: 77 + 74 + 68

Blue Boxes:
Freelancer's Marks of Conquest: 76 + 83

Vials came in stacks of 3, bottle of critical strikes and wellspring in stacks of 2 and only 1 rune at a time. Additionally, some of the boxes just had random lovely blues inside or blues + an item above. All blues were of my level and class.

Only difference between orange and blue boxes seems to be the guaranteed marks in orange. Loot was about the same, oranges came from both types. All items above besides the teleport reset can be crafted with new recipes added in 2.3 as well so the boxes are pretty drat disappointing. Depending on how stupid players are (very stupid) we may see the prices on new crafted items go down fast. If boxes that drop out in the world have similar stuff, they are probably a better choice seeing as how cheap the keys are compared to the boxes you buy outright on the store.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Polarize posted:

Jinkies!

You got a spec for that carnage?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Machineelves:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#yky58yh2/Bv2/wkn55250

Thokul
Nov 7, 2009
Can I get an invite as well?

Name is Shoshon.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Polarize posted:

Well this comes well timed.

I just started playing a bit ago, and I'm working through my 20s now as a Mage, following the Spellsword path. Harbinger is a ton of fun and I like it, but it's getting me pasted any time i'm not super conservative in PVP. Unfortunately, a melee spec isn't really able to play conservatively. Obviously I should swap over to a ranged bomber-type, but I'm not anywhere near familiar enough with the game to really have an idea about what i'm doing as far as speccing goes(thank christ there's an auto-leveling button for the talent tree).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner PVP spec? I'm not interested in how to actually play, i've played a lot of wow arena/rated battlegrounds, but a spec that'll let me familiarize myself with the maps and other classes would be nice.

Also, i'm in as Fatbird and would like an invite!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vincent Valentine posted:

Well this comes well timed.

I just started playing a bit ago, and I'm working through my 20s now as a Mage, following the Spellsword path. Harbinger is a ton of fun and I like it, but it's getting me pasted any time i'm not super conservative in PVP. Unfortunately, a melee spec isn't really able to play conservatively. Obviously I should swap over to a ranged bomber-type, but I'm not anywhere near familiar enough with the game to really have an idea about what i'm doing as far as speccing goes(thank christ there's an auto-leveling button for the talent tree).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginner PVP spec? I'm not interested in how to actually play, i've played a lot of wow arena/rated battlegrounds, but a spec that'll let me familiarize myself with the maps and other classes would be nice.

Also, i'm in as Fatbird and would like an invite!

I like Necro, let the pet gently caress stuff up while you stay back and play support.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey dudes, could I get my alt in the guild? Name's Lazula.

I'm having the hardest time deciding what to play, I'm the definition of altholic...

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

:siren:Rydee:siren:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#p/nGa4h2Ex8/U8iF9g8

Buffs: Armor of Awakening, Rage Blight, Spiritual Protection

Spam
#show Bolt of Judgment
suppressmacrofailures
cast Marrow Harvest
cast Sanction Heretic
cast Bolt of Judgment

Depravity (only use when Unified Theory procs)
#show Bolt of Depravity
suppressmacrofailures
cast Fanaticism
cast Depravity

Separate keys:
Feedback (hit it whenever your Husk is about to fall off or your beacon needs healing)
Vex (use to pull or something idk)
Harsh Discipline/Judicial Privilege/Foul Growth/Loathsome Restoration/Hideous Reconstruction (if for some reason you're taking a lot of damage, these are heals, but you should never take damage)

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 9, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
gently caress i didn't realise there was a new thread until now. :suicide:

So, hello again everyone. :haw: Question time, since im leveling a mage, Whats the AOE soul of choice for mages when doing Hunt Rifts/Greater Hunt Rifts? I've been that old harbringer/chloro/stormcaller build for it so far, but im wondering if deep stormcaller offers something better.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey dudes, could I get my alt in the guild? Name's Lazula.

I'm having the hardest time deciding what to play, I'm the definition of altholic...

Someone from the last thread had the same problem, this was my reply:

Shadowmorn posted:

Allow me to propose an alterative, play the class with the least rolls you hate.

Dont like healing? Thats cleric out!
Dont like tanking? Goodbye Warrior!
Dont like support? Err. Well i think thats even between rogue and mage right?
Dont like DPS? ... :frogout: Actually i hate dpsing, but i dont know what to suggest here.

Seriously, it might help narrow it down abit for you. :3:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 9, 2013

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I thought the cash shop wasn't gonna give gear so that it wouldn't turn into pay to win but some of those items out of those boxes are pretty nice

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I thought the cash shop wasn't gonna give gear so that it wouldn't turn into pay to win but some of those items out of those boxes are pretty nice

It won't give the highest raid gear, but you could buy enough gear to get you into the raids.

Shadowmorn posted:

So, hello again everyone. :haw: Question time, since im leveling a mage, Whats the AOE soul of choice for mages when doing Hunt Rifts/Greater Hunt Rifts? I've been that old harbringer/chloro/stormcaller build for it so far, but im wondering if deep stormcaller offers something better.

AOE DPS is SC and Dom. SC has pretty steady AOE while Dom has powerful spells with cd's that just murder poo poo. I'd say try dom first since it is more fun.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started out in this game as a warrior-dude who shoots people with lightning well his sabertooth jumps in the way of the enemy's weapons :v:

Is this game fairly optimization-heavy or can you just roll with any build?

E: Haha poo poo, my spelling error has been immortalized :negative:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Tollymain posted:

Started out in this game as a warrior-dude who shoots people with lightning well his sabertooth jumps in the way of the enemy's weapons :v:

Is this game fairly optimization-heavy or can you just roll with any build?

Some builds are definitely better than others. 1-49 you will probably be doing a lot of IA's and PVP, where bad builds don't hurt you as much. Once you hit 50 and go to the storm legion areas, you will need a solid solo build.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

Greeetings. Looking to add me, Stupidog, to the guild. Thanks!

K8107
May 28, 2006
I'm posting for an invite. Character name is Metem.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Rydee: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#n/U8iF9g8/E8iFk1592

Dump points into cabalist. Drop Beacon, pull poo poo with Siphon Vitality (this counts as a heal and procs Husk), Tyranny of Death -> Bound Fate -> Disintegrate -> Tyranny -> Bound Fate etc.

GruntingCod
Aug 4, 2006
Lookin' for an invite as Sperglord. Thanks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Pyros are the bane of my existence when I go ham as a Riftblade.

Go Riftblade or go home :colbert:

Anyway as far as callings and generally corresponding raid roles go right now, if you're trying to weigh classes by endgame:

Warriors: Tank or DPS
Rogues: Tank or DPS or Bard
Clerics: Tank or Heals or DPS
Mages: Heals or DPS or Archon

Note: Trion has a terrible track record of making Clerics good at DPS. I don't think you'll ever be kicked out of a goon thing for DPSing as a cleric but a lot of pugs will get mad at a cleric who wants to dps (not that it will matter).

SL 20-man Fight compositions generally run:

1 Bard
1 Archon
2-3 Tanks
2 Chloros
2-3 Cleric Healers
(The rest is DPS).

Basically the idea is there's always a lot more room for DPS but every class has a bunch of good roles to play with choices.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 10, 2013

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Can I get a guild invite on my alt, Diallo.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Now that they're doing a cash store kind of thing, they should sell some player races that aren't terrible. What a lovely selection of races this game has. :I

In the cash store, are these mounts for one character or are they account-wide?

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 10, 2013

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Zoness posted:

Pyros are the bane of my existence when I go ham as a Riftblade.

Go Riftblade or go home :colbert:

Anyway as far as callings and generally corresponding raid roles go right now, if you're trying to weigh classes by endgame:

Warriors: Tank or DPS
Rogues: Tank or DPS or Bard
Clerics: Tank or Heals or DPS
Mages: Heals or DPS or Archon

Note: Trion has a terrible track record of making Clerics good at DPS. I don't think you'll ever be kicked out of a goon thing for DPSing as a cleric but a lot of pugs will get mad at a cleric who wants to dps (not that it will matter).

SL 20-man Fight compositions generally run:

1 Bard
1 Archon
2-3 Tanks
2 Chloros
2-3 Cleric Healers
(The rest is DPS).

Basically the idea is there's always a lot more room for DPS but every class has a bunch of good roles to play with choices.

have you ever run a beastmaster? the only times we've ran one they've been ridiculously good, especially since they can do their flaring power equivalent whenever without waiting for charge, and they have tank cooldowns.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Now that they're doing a cash store kind of thing, they should sell some player races that aren't terrible. What a lovely selection of races this game has. :I

In the cash store, are these mounts for one character or are they account-wide?

They're for one character.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

have you ever run a beastmaster? the only times we've ran one they've been ridiculously good, especially since they can do their flaring power equivalent whenever without waiting for charge, and they have tank cooldowns.

They can't reflect or teleport.

We don't usually use one just because Archon has more raid utility overall (also not sure if beastmaster has power drain but that is a thing). Also we have a dedicated Archon.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

:siren:Rydee:siren:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#p/nGa4h2Ex8/U8iF9g8

Buffs: Armor of Awakening, Rage Blight, Spiritual Protection

Spam
#show Bolt of Judgment
suppressmacrofailures
cast Marrow Harvest
cast Sanction Heretic
cast Bolt of Judgment

Depravity (only use when Unified Theory procs)
#show Bolt of Depravity
suppressmacrofailures
cast Fanaticism
cast Depravity

Separate keys:
Feedback (hit it whenever your Husk is about to fall off or your beacon needs healing)
Vex (use to pull or something idk)
Harsh Discipline/Judicial Privilege/Foul Growth/Loathsome Restoration/Hideous Reconstruction (if for some reason you're taking a lot of damage, these are heals, but you should never take damage)

Thansk, got it, started screwing around with it last night.
Killing a lot more things now and getting my feet wet with SL.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Hey guys, i'm Palenight ingame aka the little baby that laid dead on the floor.

Thanks for all the hand holding you gave me the other day!

It's your fault that i'm a goon now. (Not really!)

P.S: Harbinger with 3 points on Stormcaller for bigger Forked Lightning is pretty awesome. It's like a lightning and lazers show :3:

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Yesssssss Palenight, you were like the only fun babby on that run. The others just tried to play normally. So wrong.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Farts posted:

Thansk, got it, started screwing around with it last night.
Killing a lot more things now and getting my feet wet with SL.

PS I'm retarded and the Depravity macro won't actually work.

#show Bolt of Depravity
suppressmacrofailures
cast Fanaticism
cast Bolt of Depravity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I really like how Harbinger plays, the mix of spells and sword and all that. Particularly that it's fast paced with no cast times, that I can put some hurt on something before it actually gets close and mostly that the eldritch armor proc is actually frequent instead of two or three times a minute like I was expecting.

But I'm being told that outside of leveling it's not very good and that I won't be playing it after that. I'm not actually looking to raid, mostly PVP and loving around in dungeons or whatever when I have some time. Is it still the case for those, particularly PVP?

If it really is as bad as people claim, is there another soul setup that plays similarly? I like reactive fightin' so I'd like it to weigh heavily toward that if that's the case.

• Locked thread