Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Stephenls posted:

To be fair, when I say "to be fair" sometimes I do not mean to be fair.

Fair enough.

I do hope that the time tables remain accurate. My players are chomping at the bit to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Stephenls posted:

To be fair, when I say "to be fair" sometimes I do not mean to be fair.

To be fair, 'to be fair' just means to be impartial and honest. You can clarify, and then also say that yes, they are still idiots, despite all evidence in their favor being presented. In fact, this might be being the most fair.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

Hmm, you know, the Battle Group rules mean that optimal tactics in 3E creation is for each and every one of your soldiers to adapt a different hair style, outfit, weapon, etc. The key is for each soldier to differentiate themselves from their fellows enough that they cross the threshold that transforms them into a separate character rather than a member of the same aggregated battle group - that way you've got way more independent rolled attacks, willpower points, etc. on your side than theirs.

That tactic's been tried. With mixed results.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dammit Who? posted:

The White Wolf forums have decided again that Asskicker Dorothy is terrible, and have also concluded that she loses all her powers if she ever leaves that field. I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but those are some stupid motherfuckers.
It's like they get compensated on how wrong they are. Has Janest been compared to Homestuck in terms of epicosity yet?

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Stephenls posted:

To be fair, the "Powerless off the wheat field" thing comes from something John said:

"Does she win this battle? Absolutely. She wins hard.

"They are standing in Creation, and in her field. She was risen up by the god of the field and given the divine mandate by Heaven to cast them out. The Unconquered Sun and Ten Sheaves are with her.

"She cannot lose."

I want to hold my head and despair about humanity and forums without aggressive moderation. Instead, I'm going to chime in about Janest being cool. The Exigent Exalted are the single most exciting thing I've read about the Ex3 setting, and I've read a lot of things that make me happy.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 9, 2013

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
Janest's scythe makes me think that her field god spent too much time playing WoW.

"What says, This weapon came from the god of a field?"

"Sick spikes and a green glow!"

Edit: Janest is still the single best thing that has come out of 3e so far.

Heart Attacks fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 9, 2013

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Heart Attacks posted:

Janest's scythe makes me think that her field god spent too much time playing WoW.

This is why Ten Sheaves died when he did his Exaltation thing with Janest. If he had chosen a more active hobby, he would have undoubtedly been able to create a Chosen of the Harvest without cacking it from exhaustion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly, I think it'd be quicker to list the artifact weapons that have been illustrated throughout Exalted's existence that don't look kinda dumb. That's something I don't think anyone has ever really nailed, in my opinion.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, I think it'd be quicker to list the artifact weapons that have been illustrated throughout Exalted's existence that don't look kinda dumb. That's something I don't think anyone has ever really nailed, in my opinion.

1) The wavecleaver daiklave at the end of Savage Seas. Still far and away my favorite depiction of an artifact weapon in the entire line, by a far margin.
2) Done.
3) Okay, the Foe-Clearing Halberd from Wonders of the Lost Age looked alright.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, but between this and the demon-sword the Dawn carries, the examples so far have been aggressively dumb.

The really plain orichalcum artifact weapons in the 2e core book aren't too bad. I mean, they're kind of plain, but that beats I just got this sweet scythe enchanted with Mongoose, check out that glow.

I just noticed that the standard daiklave example in the core book is two swords though so maybe my memory is just not as reliable as I thought it was.

Heart Attacks fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heart Attacks posted:

Yeah, but between this and the demon-sword the Dawn carries, the examples so far have been aggressively dumb.

Oh good, so it's not just me. Like, Volfer or whatever his name is, his design isn't so bad, but that sword is like someone played God of War and went "man, the Blades of Chaos are awesome...but what if I made them even awesomer?," and then managed to do the exact opposite of that.

That wavecleaver daiklaive is pretty sweet, I'd forgotten about that. And, like, what was her name, the Abyssal pinup girl iconic character, her sword wasn't that bad either. There was a picture of the Roseblack leading a beach landing where she had a daiklave that wasn't bad either. Beyond that I'm not really recalling very many good examples.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Volfer looks like any generic video game character which is pretty lame. The Twilight is bad, too. A sorcerer wearing robes who is greying at the temples and has a small beard and a belt pouch. Totally not a wizard.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Volfer looks like any generic video game character which is pretty lame. The Twilight is bad, too. A sorcerer wearing robes who is greying at the temples and has a small beard and a belt pouch. Totally not a wizard.

Shen was apparently modeled after Dr. Strange, which isn't too surprising given that Melissa Uran is also running a Dr. Strange fangroup. :shobon:

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Kai Tave posted:

Oh good, so it's not just me. Like, Volfer or whatever his name is, his design isn't so bad, but that sword is like someone played God of War and went "man, the Blades of Chaos are awesome...but what if I made them even awesomer?," and then managed to do the exact opposite of that.

That wavecleaver daiklaive is pretty sweet, I'd forgotten about that. And, like, what was her name, the Abyssal pinup girl iconic character, her sword wasn't that bad either. There was a picture of the Roseblack leading a beach landing where she had a daiklave that wasn't bad either. Beyond that I'm not really recalling very many good examples.

While I agree Volfer's sword is kind of goofy, I am really happy that it is part of encouraging Players and STs to invent their own weird and wild daiklaves, grand goremauls, and whatever else instead of having a bunch of identical ones special because they are made out of ~magical materials~. Like, now I will tell anyone who has a problem with a rapier daiklave or a meteor hammer version of a goremaul to gently caress right off. I already did that, but now the game supports that creativity.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Personally, I'm hoping for lots of bikinis, spikes, and pouches.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Oligopsony posted:

Personally, I'm hoping for lots of bikinis, spikes, and pouches.

On the swords?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

On the swords?
Especially on the swords.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm looking forward to infernal exalted having bat wings and horns and stuff and no I'm not joking. Give me a skeletal abyssal also.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I'm looking forward to infernal exalted having bat wings and horns and stuff and no I'm not joking. Give me a skeletal abyssal also.

What color fire in their empty eye sockets?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Puce.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Differs by Caste.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

It'd match their anima highlights, which are probably crimson, pale silvery-blue, toxic green, or deep blue-violet, but I can tell you this for sure: their eyes would be, ahaha, smoldering.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 9, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ferrinus posted:

And he cand drive one of those mechs from 1st edition and it's a much larger skeleton.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Since you mention it, I really hope it's Abyssals rather than Liminals that allows me to make a character who's a skeleton who summons up lots of other skeletons and merges with them into a giant skeleton monster that gets bigger with each person it kills and incorporates into its skeletal warframe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kai Tave posted:

I like that Volfer's sword is so stupid you could put eyes on it and it'd be its own character, but I'm also biased and have reliably bad taste.

The wavecleaver daiklaves I liked. I remember discovering a key truth while trying to describe an iaijutsu stunt in a DB game with the... I forget the name, the 'skinny, less damage, more accuracy' daiklave, because it had a hook on its end. The session briefly derailed as we attempted to figure out how the gently caress you make a sheath for something four feet long with a U bend at the top.

I also liked Fallen Tears Poet's bigass hammer, mostly because the concept was clear and any implausibility in things like haft diameter were like 'OK, well, it's made from the soul of a forsaken child.'

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

Nessus posted:

I like that Volfer's sword is so stupid you could put eyes on it and it'd be its own character, but I'm also biased and have reliably bad taste.

This was actually done by the piece's artist

The adventures of Catbatklaive are the greatest in all history.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nessus posted:

The wavecleaver daiklaves I liked. I remember discovering a key truth while trying to describe an iaijutsu stunt in a DB game with the... I forget the name, the 'skinny, less damage, more accuracy' daiklave, because it had a hook on its end. The session briefly derailed as we attempted to figure out how the gently caress you make a sheath for something four feet long with a U bend at the top.

I'm not really sure how practical it would be in reality but in fantasy, similar swords tend to just get a sheath that's open along one side.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Daiklaves are supposed to be able to look wicked cool in a sort of "That's actually kinda stupid if you know anything about real metallurgy but wheeee!" way. They're modeled sort of after the Buster Sword for a reason. There's even an explanation written into the metaphysics of the game -- just as manses derive their power from the placement of columns and arches and the choice of materials used in construction, to the point where defacing a mural might actually gently caress up the Essence flows and make the whole thing stop working (or potentially collapse/explode), so do artifact weapons and armor derive their magical powers from the way their shapes channel Essence. Sure, Janest's scythe blade is at an angle that makes it awkward to wield, but forged of those materials, in that configuration, with those precise magics, any other angle just wouldn't have channeled the Essence correctly.

And yes, this is totally just an excuse to swing around a six foot serrated oar with fins and spikes and poo poo welded on to it.

It's easy to ignore if you think the whole thing is stupid, but "People who've just played Dissidia and want to have a sword like Jecht's" are part of the market -- and I don't mean that cynically. I have other games for when I want my imaginary sword guy to wear historically-accurate armor and wield a realistic weapon. Exalted's for when you want to play Vampire Hunter D and not feel ashamed of it. (And then have him engage in rigorously verisimilar economics of slavery and deal with the moral quandries inherent in knocking over the local evil duke when his oppressive taxes are the only thing keeping an army large enough to prevent the evil duke from the kingdom next door from rolling in and pillaging the peasantry.)

(And now I will prove myself a hypocrite by complaining about overly-large pauldrons. Overly large pauldrons! What's up with those? They are so dumb!)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 9, 2013

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I just hope you leave space in the art and writing for magic gear that looks a bit more... elegant.

Civilized.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I just hope you leave space in the art and writing for magic gear that looks a bit more... elegant.

Civilized.

Your magic weapon can look however you think is cool, and however it looks is retroactively justified as "Essence flows were optimized by this design."

Weapons in the art will probably continue to be buster swords, though.

(I like to imagine that Janest's scythe is articulate, and the blade swings out into a more practical configuration once she starts fighting. It's green! "Living weapon"-type stuff is totally in theme!)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 9, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's a whole lot of words that completely missed the point I was making. My problem isn't that Exalted's depiction of artifact weapons is bad because they're unrealistic or the angle on the blades is all wrong according to Oakeshott or whatever, my problem is that even for enormous fuckoff anime swords they look dumb. They do not look "so dumb they wrap back around into cool," they just look dumb. Give me all the big anime swords and scythes you want but I'd prefer it if they didn't look like somebody just went "yeah, spikes and poo poo, that's what kids with their animes and pokey-mans like, right?"

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kai Tave posted:

That's a whole lot of words that completely missed the point I was making. My problem isn't that Exalted's depiction of artifact weapons is bad because they're unrealistic or the angle on the blades is all wrong according to Oakeshott or whatever, my problem is that even for enormous fuckoff anime swords they look dumb. They do not look "so dumb they wrap back around into cool," they just look dumb. Give me all the big anime swords and scythes you want but I'd prefer it if they didn't look like somebody just went "yeah, spikes and poo poo, that's what kids with their animes and pokey-mans like, right?"

I acknowledge your aesthetic tastes differ from mine.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Your aesthetic tastes differ from all right-thinking men and women. Now go to your team and demand that all grand daiklaives look like Guts' Dragonslayer in penance.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training

Stephenls posted:

(I like to imagine that Janest's scythe is articulate, and the blade swings out into a more practical configuration once she starts fighting. It's green! "Living weapon"-type stuff is totally in theme!)

I'd like it if you could make this explicit in the same way that Volfer's sword is demonic. Saying "artifacts are special and unique" and so forth is one thing, showing Serrana, the living scythe changing configuration for optimal reaping would be great. You can even call it Elpheba instead of Serrana to keep with the Oz jokes.

e: Or an anagram like Aphabel if you want to be more obscure about it. Either way, Janest the Strawmaiden is the coolest new character you've shown for Ex3 and deserves a spot in Arms of the Chosen.

Lymond fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2013

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Stephenls posted:

Differs from mine, too.

IMHO the "dungeonpunk" aesthetic is not great for Exalted.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Given that this is Exalted: Bankai Edition* people are completely justified having their weapons look completely normal then convert to some ill-advised 5 bladed configuration at the drop of an Evocation.

I know I'll have some players having their weapons flip out and transform into giant butterflys and some players who think a double bladed axe is over the top. There be room in the tent for both.

*= Caution if your campaign enters a rut introducing new characters who may or may not be busty women will not automatically make your game more awesome

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Dodge Charms posted:

Differs from mine, too.

IMHO the "dungeonpunk" aesthetic is not great for Exalted.

Yeah, dungeonpunk isn't really ornate enough. When I said "sharpened oar with fins and spikes welded to it" I was being facetious in a very specific fashion -- Exalted generally doesn't go for people wearing armor that looks like it's made from three or four sets of armor patched together, or magic weapons that have obviously had bling added to them after-the-fact. At the very least Volfer's surfboard of a blade looks like it was forged in one piece.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Stephenls posted:

Your magic weapon can look however you think is cool, and however it looks is retroactively justified as "Essence flows were optimized by this design."

Weapons in the art will probably continue to be buster swords, though.

Why is there such an awful mono-culture regarding artifact weapons? They all look the same, and to echo Kai Tave, they all look lovely.

Weapons of the Gods has your asses beat.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

At the very least Volfer's surfboard of a blade looks like it was forged in one piece.

Volfer's sword only resembles a sword in the vaguest fashion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Heart Attacks posted:

Volfer's sword only resembles a sword in the vaguest fashion though.

Volfer's sword more resembles a piece of candy than a weapon.

• Locked thread