Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Northern NJ - Goosey night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

For what it's worth, "Mischief Night" still exists in parts of northern England, but it's 4 November, not 30 October - the night before Guy Fawkes' Night/Bonfire Night.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kainser posted:

I don't want to harp on Hungary any more, but I found this map kinda funny.

I like how they didn't include Austria or the Ottoman Empire.

Reminds me of this

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't want a revision, those dirty Hungarians* don't even speak German!

*there is actually no slur against Hungarians in German.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Aside from "Hungarian"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've been following the train-wreck that is the NSA leaks and The Guardian have released supposed screen grab from the NSA tool Boundless Informant

Other than putting myself on a list somewhere for posting this I found it pretty fascinating.

Related story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/08/nsa-boundless-informant-global-datamining

tl;dr - it's a heatmap of where they're mining data, "The tool allows users to select a country on a map and view the metadata volume and select details about the collections against that country"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Growing up in Northern VT we called it 'Cabbage Night.'

No idea why...maybe at some point rotting cabbage was thrown around in addition to TP, eggs, etc?

Also, what's up wit hthis one:

Do you non New Englanders (and Chicago-ians) really not have crullers?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't know if I get that map since I heard people use the term cruller regularly here in Oregon. Maybe it is the different between the old fashioned version and the mass-manufactured form?

I mean you can find them in most doughnut shops.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Growing up in Northern VT we called it 'Cabbage Night.'

No idea why...maybe at some point rotting cabbage was thrown around in addition to TP, eggs, etc?

Also, what's up wit hthis one:

Do you non New Englanders (and Chicago-ians) really not have crullers?

That's Milwaukee, not Chicago. The "pop" map had a similar distribution pattern with Milwaukee not adopting the word from the rest of the mid-west.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I grew up right outside Chicago and we totally have crullers here.

:colbert:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I'm a Texan and I had no clue what a cruller is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I grew up right outside Chicago and we totally have crullers here.

:colbert:

That's the BAD kind of cruller. This is a real cruller:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the New England variety are more similar to I guess German crullers while the mass-market version are called "French crullers" but I don't if that is a made-up pastry or not. I have only seen the "bad kind" on the West Coast.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Those speech maps are blowing my mind. It seems my area of the country has a surprisingly high amount of localized terms.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Get with the program, Philadelphia.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Random pockets of the north east - Grinder and/or Wedge

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Real hurthling! posted:

I thought grinders were a subclass and were only the heated kind. That's how it's used up where I live (central Alberta); I've only heard grinder used to refer to hot sandwiches on toasted bread, while submarine applies to whatever. Even then it's a rarer word.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
It's crazy that y'all don't have brewthrus at least somewhere in your state. :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prism posted:

I thought grinders were a subclass and were only the heated kind. That's how it's used up where I live (central Alberta); I've only heard grinder used to refer to hot sandwiches on toasted bread, while submarine applies to whatever. Even then it's a rarer word.

No in CT a grinder is any sandwich that a New Yorker would call "hero" or a Philadelphian would call "hoagie"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Love the Louisiana poboy region.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Prism posted:

It must be. I'm from Alberta and have never heard that term before.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, CT being dark red on that map is BS. Everyone I know around here calls them grinders.

Here's the original dialect map for sandwiches: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_64.html

Here's where everyone calls them grinders:

GreenCard78 posted:

It's crazy that y'all don't have brewthrus at least somewhere in your state. :colbert:

The fact that drive-thru liquor stores exist anywhere blows my mind. The whole concept sounds like a punch line.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

lonelywurm posted:

It must be. I'm from Alberta and have never heard that term before.

I'm actually from Ontario but I've lived here for ~10 years.

I've heard it maybe a couple dozen times. It's not common. Every time it was a hot sandwich though. I didn't know it was more general elsewhere. I'm always disappointed when these maps don't include Canada.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The fact that drive-thru liquor stores exist anywhere blows my mind. The whole concept sounds like a punch line.

Haha yeah totally the only place I recall seeing such a thing was in Mexico and at the time I thought it was a pretty hilarious and unique thing. Apparently not! Definitely don't have those in California.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Outer Banks, North Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH52RWXYzSY

That's the well known chain. There's a local one in College Park, Maryland I used to go to which was a plain looking liquor store except it had a window on the side and you could pull up.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

GreenCard78 posted:

That's the well known chain. There's a local one in College Park, Maryland I used to go to which was a plain looking liquor store except it had a window on the side and you could pull up.

Oh, we had one of these in the Piedmont of NC, but I guess it didn't sell liquor, it was named Cruz Thru.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The term Hoagie's from Philadelphia, and has a lot of theories of it's origin.

The most prominent theory is that they were called that because of the consumption of the previously unnamed sandwiches at the shipyards on Hog Island, which currently is the home of Philadelphia International Airport. Other theories involve peddlers called "hokey-pokey men" making one one night, it was scaps for people "on the hoke" and the Italians called it hoagies, it was a reference to the Irish shipbuilders (Hogans), refered to the pork on the sandwhiches, or my personal favorite it was the shorthand for "honky sandwich" because white people at them.

EDIT: I'm tired and just wrote way too much about a loving sandwich.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

GreenCard78 posted:

How is this legal? In my province it's illegal to have alcohol in reach of the driver, it must be stored in the trunk/box. Yet in the video, they hand it to the driver and they just keep it in the cab? Is there a problem with drunk driving there? I imagine lots of people go through the liquor store than as soon as they're out they start drinking.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Terex posted:

How is this legal? In my province it's illegal to have alcohol in reach of the driver, it must be stored in the trunk/box. Yet in the video, they hand it to the driver and they just keep it in the cab? Is there a problem with drunk driving there? I imagine lots of people go through the liquor store than as soon as they're out they start drinking.

In most of the US the only rule is no open container in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. In SOME parts of the US it's just no booze in the driver's hand. I forget if it's OK or TX but one of them your passenger can be chugging a bottle of whiskey and it's a-ok. Why he'd never give you a taste! that's crazy!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think in most places it just can't be opened if it is in the passenger compartment. You can keep newly-bought bottles of anything up front, but if you are bringing a half-finished bottle home from a party then it has to go in the trunk.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

In most of the US the only rule is no open container in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. In SOME parts of the US it's just no booze in the driver's hand. I forget if it's OK or TX but one of them your passenger can be chugging a bottle of whiskey and it's a-ok. Why he'd never give you a taste! that's crazy!

That seems so backwards, especially since there are still dry counties to this day, many of which seem to be in the same areas (like North Carolina).

Red are dry counties, yellow are mixed and blue are wet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

I think in most places it just can't be opened if it is in the passenger compartment. You can keep newly-bought bottles of anything up front, but if you are bringing a half-finished bottle home from a party then it has to go in the trunk.

That's the law in Texas, and Oklahoma apparently meets some standard of open beverage law called the TEA-21.

e: It looks like you're thinking of Tennessee.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It's unclear from your post so for clarity; "Dry" just means no purchase

edit:
^^^^^
poo poo i was wrong about which state it was where a buddy can pass you the flask when you're driving! Sorry OK/TX for implicating you.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 9, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Terex posted:

That seems so backwards, especially since there are still dry counties to this day, many of which seem to be in the same areas (like North Carolina).

Red are dry counties, yellow are mixed and blue are wet.

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

Yellow means everything that's not "buy whatever whenever" and "you can't have a liquor store in the county".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah Bergan County NJ is up there and they aren't dry. They have sunday blue laws that close most non-grocery shops, but you can still buy booze from anyone with a licence that stays open so essentially the yellow can mean anything

Also, why is there no data from LA?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Soviet Commubot posted:

It supposedly means that there's one or more municipalities/townships that ban liquor stores. I grew up in a yellow county right next to you though, and I can't think of anywhere that bans liquor sales.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

computer parts posted:

Yellow means everything that's not "buy whatever whenever" and "you can't have a liquor store in the county".

You can't order alcohol in new york before noon on Sunday, so by that definition shouldn't it be yellow?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KernelSlanders posted:

You can't order alcohol in new york before noon on Sunday, so by that definition shouldn't it be yellow?

That's only in a few counties though. in the city the mimosas flow from 8 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Christ, if you live in the middle of the southern border of KY, you are pretty much hosed trying to buy booze, aren't you? Even the first few counties you cross over into in TN are dry.