Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Got the color onto the new seat pan:

Will take better pics in daylight after the clear.

Now I gotta sort out the upholstery puzzle . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
1955 BMW R50 and a 1984 Guzzi V65SP with lots of bodywork issues

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Finally got the leaky fork seals replaced. I think the ones that were installed the last time were not the correct size.

Due to the massive leaks the front pads were contaminated with oil so i replaced them and hosed the oil coated disc with some brake cleaner.

Also replaced the speedo cable that decided to eject from the bike.

Then did a quick clean up after a test ride. Cant wait to get some progressive springs and ditch the air fork setup.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CB900 Custom?

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Yep' all 600 pounds of 10 speed ujm excess.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I had a slow-leak rear flat, so I ordered some new tires and decided to replace brakepads while I was in there. After a terrible week of watching my bike sit pitifully by itself, the tires arrived. I pulled the wheels, got the tires mounted, and did the brakes (my rears were apparently loooong overdue)

I'd never done biek wheel installation before (brakes either for that matter), but with judicial use of a rubber mallet, a friend, and various tools I got them back on. Wheelbrushed some rust off the rear axle while it was out. Brakepads were a breeze.
Getting the bike off cinderblocks by myself wasn't :staredog:

Son, there are bikes with whitewalls, and bikes without - don't judge the ones who lack.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Bug screen, mirrors and frame sliders (not pictured).

REALLY wish I took a before picture because it changed the look of the bike in a big/good way.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

REALLY wish I took a before picture because it changed the look of the bike in a big/good way.

What year is that?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
2013 Street Triple (no R)

2,000 miles in ~90 days. Freaking love it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

2013 Street Triple (no R)

2,000 miles in ~90 days. Freaking love it.

gently caress yeah. Strange they went back to the boxy brake fluid res though. Every time I get on mine after riding my DRZ around I'm struck by the fantasticness that is the motor. If I could suggest one mod get the 1050 throttle tube, changes it to an even more aggressive beast for only 10 bucks.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

gently caress yeah. Strange they went back to the boxy brake fluid res though. Every time I get on mine after riding my DRZ around I'm struck by the fantasticness that is the motor. If I could suggest one mod get the 1050 throttle tube, changes it to an even more aggressive beast for only 10 bucks.

Yes. The best $15 I've ever spent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Akrapovic Ti slipon for the 675. :suicide: $750-ish new - my favorite exhaust, I had to.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 7, 2013

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Stugazi posted:

It does, I didn't recognize it at first.

I took my old man fairing off my r1150r Rockster so now it's naked. I think it looks a lot better.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I dropped it. Two bikes, three years and 30000 km and now I drop it on my own walkway. The frame slider took most of the damage, the shiny bits fell on the grass.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend's SV hadn't had an oil change in at least 6,000 miles and the radiator fluid was a nice shade of chunky brown. His chain also hadn't been cleaned in a thousand miles and the wires are falling out of his "race bike with lights slapped on for quick sale" HID kit. Also, his throttle tube cluster was -----------> way over [here] for some reason so he had to extend his arm an extra 6" to reach that specific handlebar and his clutch cable is a non-S version and it's on its last legs.

Got the oil and radiator fluid changed, Z3n's mirrors installed (he's eternally grateful!), the loving awkward handlebar fixed, and am gonna rewire his HID with a relay and get his new clutch cable installed. Dude's gotta have a running bike!

He said it already handles/revs way better now. :shobon: I can't even imagine what it was like beforehand though...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And the circle of life of lovely SVs slowly getting functional contiunes...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Took it for the first proper ride since getting it 95% repaired, gave the hosed old PR2's a send-off before I get new tyres next week and made the bike do things it really wasn't designed for in the process.

It's amazing how a lovely ride where nothing seems to mesh somehow just instantly clicks after riding for half an hour down a gravel road. I guess the sheer terror of it focused my attention and made me stop thinking too much; after that I ended up burning 14L of petrol to 130km which is roughly half the mileage I get compared to non-dong riding.

Best $30 I ever spent.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

makka-setan posted:

I dropped it. Two bikes, three years and 30000 km and now I drop it on my own walkway. The frame slider took most of the damage, the shiny bits fell on the grass.

That's alright. I'm pushing 20 bikes and I dropped my nicest one (96 CBR600) a couple weeks ago. Of course the ONE time I drop one it's the goddamn pretty bike.
Trapped in gated community because the gates use the same stupid loving magnetic sensors as stoplights. I had to push the bike through a pedestrian gate because there's no override button for the gate.

I had to push the bike through grass next to the sidewalk in order to get it to fit through the gate. Front tire hit dogshit, bike went down away from me onto the sidewalk, I flipped over the bike trying to save it. It was not a good day.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's alright. I'm pushing 20 bikes and I dropped my nicest one (96 CBR600) a couple weeks ago. Of course the ONE time I drop one it's the goddamn pretty bike.
Trapped in gated community because the gates use the same stupid loving magnetic sensors as stoplights. I had to push the bike through a pedestrian gate because there's no override button for the gate.

I had to push the bike through grass next to the sidewalk in order to get it to fit through the gate. Front tire hit dogshit, bike went down away from me onto the sidewalk, I flipped over the bike trying to save it. It was not a good day.

If you can push it you can ride it, no?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

And do a burnout on the dog poo poo.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Wired in a new voltage regulator and fixed the charging system for good hopefully. Then rode it through a short, twisty nature preserve road and pissed everyone off.

(also I took a dumb picture of it)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

Wired in a new voltage regulator and fixed the charging system for good hopefully. Then rode it through a short, twisty nature preserve road and pissed everyone off.

This is pretty sweet. Do you look like a hunched over giant riding it? Or is perspective tricking me and it is, in fact, not a very small bike?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's a tiny bike, but I'm just barely 6" and have kinda short legs. I still look pretty hunched over though, and the footpeg placement perfectly puts my knees in the indents. I don't think anyone who's not me could ride it without dying of discomfort.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

It's a tiny bike, but I'm just barely 6"

:mmmhmm:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Hahahahaha. I'm not going to edit that one, I think it's worth leaving just the way it is.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yerok posted:

Fuckin' hipster bike...

that is totally sweet.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I rode my bike to work today for the first time. Quite intoxicating.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Replaced my Tokico 6 pot calipers with a seized piston with Nissin 4-pots from a first gen Bandit 1200!

Same piston surface area and stopping power as the Tokicos but a lot better lever feel. The hydraulic ratio is the same but I can pretty much do stoppies with one finger now, instead of having to bring the brake lever all the way to the bar to push the extra stupid amount of brake fluid through the system of the Tokicos. Considering it would have cost as much to fix the Tokicos as it was to get the 4-pots and Galfer HH pads and fluid, it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the more reliable Nissins. 2000+ Bandit 1200 owners, I highly recommend this mod!

Also, I put Tuono mirrors on my Bandit. It's amazing how well they work-- way better than even my car's mirrors. :sun:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mad.radhu posted:

I rode my bike to work today for the first time. Quite intoxicating.

How many more times than normal did you look at the clock or out the window, waiting for quittin' time?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

The tank looks like it says "the sour pissturd", please confirm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Replaced my Tokico 6 pot calipers with a seized piston with Nissin 4-pots from a first gen Bandit 1200!

Same piston surface area and stopping power as the Tokicos but a lot better lever feel. The hydraulic ratio is the same but I can pretty much do stoppies with one finger now, instead of having to bring the brake lever all the way to the bar to push the extra stupid amount of brake fluid through the system of the Tokicos. Considering it would have cost as much to fix the Tokicos as it was to get the 4-pots and Galfer HH pads and fluid, it was a no-brainer to upgrade to the more reliable Nissins. 2000+ Bandit 1200 owners, I highly recommend this mod!

Also, I put Tuono mirrors on my Bandit. It's amazing how well they work-- way better than even my car's mirrors. :sun:

Nice. Did the factory brake line fittings bolt on? I'm getting braided lines shortly and I don't want to jump in then find the 4-pots take a different fitting.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Those are aftermarket braided lines, but yeah, they fit with a minute amount of finagling-- the banjos are at a different angle between the Tokicos and the Nissins but not by much. The bolt thread pattern on the Nissins are different (1.0 compared to 1.25) but if you are buying calipers online, they should be coming with the banjo bolts anyway. Other than that, no issues from what I've seen!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Dellikose posted:

The tank looks like it says "the sour pissturd", please confirm.

It says "The Green Bastard." Which is about the best description of the piece of poo poo that I can come up with, and a Trailer Park Boys reference as a bonus.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Rerouted, wired armored and tip tied the wiring harness trouble spots on the KLR then took apart the gauge housing to lube up the odometer to get the trip working again, seems like it is.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Over the weekend, I installed a handlebar conversion kit on my SV650S. This one: http://www.topyokes.com/conversion/307.

Yes, I overpayed for it, but it's really well made. It came with a Renthal Low 'superbike' bar or whatever it's called, HEL SS braided lines and fittings, extended throttle cable, and the custom plate itself. Beware that this company takes loving forever to get you your poo poo and they have horrible customer service.

Overall, the installation was a pain in the rear end. Throttle cables were pretty difficult to remove and replace and when I got the new ones installed, they looked WAY too long. It could have been that I routed them differently but ended up going with the stock cables. If I were to do it again, I would go with just the plate rather than the full kit.

Opinions? Love the change. I actually like the bike now. It feels like it's really made for city riding and would be much more comfortable on a longer ride. It is definitely harder to get into a tuck on it, though. I had to zip-tie my brake fluid reservoir as there is no included method of mounting the reservoir to the Renthal bar. I'm going to make one out of an old wire clamp.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I haven't been able to do anything to my ride for 3 weeks. Somehow i pinched a nerve in my left leg or back and can't flex my ankle.

Last time I rode after a bit I couldn't upshift anymore. Its killing me with all this good weather. Thinking it was just a pulled muscle from the gym I put off going to the doc until today and am now scheduled for an MRI and EMG next week.

In the meantime, is it possible to put a heel-toe shifter on an SV 650?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Abe Froman posted:

I haven't been able to do anything to my ride for 3 weeks. Somehow i pinched a nerve in my left leg or back and can't flex my ankle.

Last time I rode after a bit I couldn't upshift anymore. Its killing me with all this good weather. Thinking it was just a pulled muscle from the gym I put off going to the doc until today and am now scheduled for an MRI and EMG next week.

In the meantime, is it possible to put a heel-toe shifter on an SV 650?

That happened to me years ago, it was my right ankle so i could still ride a bike. I could press down, but not lift up my foot, it just came back of its own accord after a few months.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Fitted new front-brake pads and disc for the first time. Failed miserably on my second day of trying to get a valve stem in. Phoning a mobile bike mechanic tomorrow, but how the hell can something so tiny be so hard to fit? I wouldn't post about either, but because the previous owner hasn't lubed a loving single fastener or part on it every bit of maintenance has had multiple-hour long extensions to the estimated time. At least I'll be very grateful when I have to do maintenance on a new bike, and I did get that wonderful moment of pulling the wrapping paper off and being practically blinded by the shininess of a fresh disc.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

echomadman posted:

That happened to me years ago, it was my right ankle so i could still ride a bike. I could press down, but not lift up my foot, it just came back of its own accord after a few months.

Yeah, that's what I told the doctor, that I wished it was my right ankle because I ride. He then asked me if I knew that doctors called motorcycles "donorcycles.". Hurrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Find someone who wants to trade down from a 1000 and leave it in 2nd.