Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WASDF posted:

I wonder if it will have straight forward lyricism. I've never heard Cedric just say things that didn't require analyzing and I wonder why that is sometimes.

His lyrics in ATDI were as impenetrable as his TMV lyrics. And the lyrics he wrote for various Omar projects. I don't see why this new group would be any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

To maybe change things up. I wonder why he writes that way at all. Maybe, if he did something completely solo it would be a lot more personal and he wouldn't use obfuscation so much to hide what he's saying. I'm sure Cedric has things to say...

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He did say he was really getting into Gram Parsons. On the other hand, the kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalyn Carter.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

yeah exactly. it was listening to amputechture today that made me think about his writing. Amputechture is probably his strongest effort, I think.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

yeah exactly. it was listening to amputechture today that made me think about his writing. Amputechture is probably his strongest effort, I think.

Are we saying that Octahedron and Noctourniquet had that same level of writing?

I felt like Cedric really toned it down from the Frances/Deloused/Amputechture days on those. The lyrics on there come across as a lot more... mainstream?

I love Cedric's complicated lyrics. "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore" has to be some of my favorite work he has done.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think he just started using more whole cool phrases. Noctourniquet isn't filled with fabulous nonsensical vernacular all the time, but it has more weird phrases. Like "They built a capsule in the cyanide pond where the holiest of water would have you to drown." he uses more consistantly weird scifi phrases like "My ether turns flesh to gravel."

Just as weird and nonsensical, but more consistant.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I saw Flying Lotus in Cleveland last night, and Thundercat was one of the openers. I had no idea that Thomas Pridgen was the touring drummer, but drat is he impressive. I spoke to him a bit after the show and told him how cool it was to finally see him live, and he mentioned he would be doing some stuff with the Odd Future label and specifically mentioned hardcore band Trash Talk.

Did anything ever come out about why he was kicked out of The Mars Volta? I want to say I remember something about Pridgen and drug use setting off Omar and Cedric after the death of Jeremy Ward, but I don't think anything official was stated. Given the recent interviews, I wondered if there was anything else.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
I've always gotten the impression that Cedric's lyrics were way more about the way the syllables sound in the context of the music than any 'meaning' so to speak.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
First clip for Cedric's ZAVALAZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7FkDOEX-XM

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sounded great until that really awkward chord at 0:23

still, I like the more naturalistic take on the vox compared to TMV

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

Sounded great until that really awkward chord at 0:23

still, I like the more naturalistic take on the vox compared to TMV

0:14 - 0:18 gives me flashbacks to Cedric in ATDI.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

It sounds like a slightly more modern Jane's Addiction to me, which isn't bad at all.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That sounds pretty cool. I'm glad it doesn't sound much like TMV or ATDI at all.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Two new projects go head to head - which one comes out the winner.

Bosnian Rainbows vs ZAVALAZ

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Webbeh posted:

First clip for Cedric's ZAVALAZ.

Wow I really wasn't expecting that. It's like it fell off of a Budgie album and that's okay with me.

I still don't know what to think of Bosnian Rainbows. Torn Maps weirds me out because I can't not hear Geddy Lee.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The Bosnian Rainbows album is... "available," no real surprises though. Everything they've been playing live already pretty much.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought it sucked and quit halfway through, might give it a try later when I'm less bitter.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like it quite a bit actually. Obviously its a lot poppier than anything TMV ever did, but I think it works very well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the Bosnian Rainbows album for the first time now. It sounds pretty unlike TMV, but I do like it. It's not going to be one of my top albums of the year or anything, but it's not bad. It's like alternative experimental rock with female vocals. Honestly I thought that Zavalaz clip sounded more interesting.

e: Actually, now that I think about it, I Cry For You has this kind of pseudo De-Loused sound going on, and the vocalist even sounds like Cedric at times :stare:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 11, 2013

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Listening to the Bosnian Rainbows album for the first time now. It sounds pretty unlike TMV, but I do like it. It's not going to be one of my top albums of the year or anything, but it's not bad. It's like alternative experimental rock with female vocals. Honestly I thought that Zavalaz clip sounded more interesting.

I have to admit, I was a much bigger fan of Omar's work with Ximena than with Terri. Xenophanes was so good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Terri is not a great vocalist. However what I really dig about Bosnian Rainbows is the much more restrained guitar work from Omar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Earwicker posted:

Terri is not a great vocalist. However what I really dig about Bosnian Rainbows is the much more restrained guitar work from Omar.

Yeah there are times when I can't even tell it's him. Then he'll break out a signature Omar sound and I'll think "Oh yeah, Omar is in this band!"

FoppSomms
Oct 9, 2007

Webbeh posted:

I have to admit, I was a much bigger fan of Omar's work with Ximena than with Terri. Xenophanes was so good.

Bosnian Rainbows were really great live, and it just doesn't seem to be translating too well to the so-far released stuff. It's much more "polite".

I just put on Xenophanes again, and I had forgotten how great Desarraigo is - I wish he'd continued in that direction!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

FoppSomms posted:

Bosnian Rainbows were really great live, and it just doesn't seem to be translating too well to the so-far released stuff. It's much more "polite".

I just put on Xenophanes again, and I had forgotten how great Desarraigo is - I wish he'd continued in that direction!

Xenophanes was really the best of the three (Solar Gambling and Cizana), but I haven't listened to it in awhile. Guess I'll be changing that this morning.

e: Oh, and according to Bosnian Rainbows' mixer:

quote:

No new stuff has been played live yet. Album #2 was recorded at CH again during the break between Europe and Texas and I start mixing it next week. Writing and preproduction for album #3 is finished. Will probably do that one in the fall after this leg of touring is done. While the first album is mostly live, and a very intimate recording, album #2 is more deliberate and epic with a bigger sound. Probably more radio singles on the second one too, but I'm never good at figuring out which song is the single. I though it was I Cry For You or Morning Sickness on this album and all the label people went with Torn Maps and Turtleneck! But yeah, this is one of the hardest working bands I ever met. With 4 people writing songs, I doubt you are going to have to wait very long between projects...

Oma.. Bosnian Rainbows have finished album number #2 and are started on album #3.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 12, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

Oma.. Bosnian Rainbows have finished album number #2 and are started on album #3.

Well it's definitely an Omar project :v:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Well it's definitely an Omar project :v:

I thought that when Omar stopped being a dictator in his bands, that his throughput of albums created would also drop (a la The Mars Volta and Noctourniquet - granted, it wasn't Omar stopping his dictatorship but rather Cedric taking his time on lyrics).

Clearly, I was wrong.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
http://www.npr.org/2013/06/16/191298046/first-listen-bosnian-rainbows-bosnian-rainbows

NPR First Listen for anyone who hasn't heard it yet. Gonna listen tomorrow at work.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Went to see Zavalaz on Friday and took some photos -- I'll be shooting Bosnian Rainbows later this week too. TMV side projects ahoy

Zavalaz 1 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Zavalaz 2 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Zavalaz 3 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

They were pretty good! I'm not sure if it's the type of music I'd put on too often, but it was definitely an enjoyable show.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm still impressed that Cedric got Alderete in the custody battle.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Cedric's hair is still as glorious as ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SmokinDan posted:

Cedric's hair is still as glorious as ever.

It looks like it hasn't changed at all since the time Noctourniquet came out, at least.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Deloused is 10 years old today.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'll always be thankful for TMV and Deloused for getting me into alternative music. A friend in high school played the start of Cicatriz ESP at a party just before I left and it made me look them up as soon as I got home.

Made me realise that there was better music out there that wasn't on commercial radio.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still remember being 14 and going to Best Buy on Martin Luther King day of 2005 and buying De-Loused. I had the day off school (I was a freshman in high school at the time) and I had never heard anything from it but had heard great things about it online, so I bought it blind (as I had done similarly with albums like Arcade Fire's Funeral and Bright Eyes' I'm Wide Awake It's Morning soon before that). I went home and listened to it and my mind was thoroughly blown. I had to listen to it again and again because I couldn't get enough of it. Then Frances came out like a month or two later and I bought it on release day and listened to that one over and over again too.

8 years later and both of those albums are still just as incredible and important as they were when I first heard them, in my eyes.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I still remember being 14 and going to Best Buy on Martin Luther King day of 2005 and buying De-Loused. I had the day off school (I was a freshman in high school at the time) and I had never heard anything from it but had heard great things about it online, so I bought it blind (as I had done similarly with albums like Arcade Fire's Funeral and Bright Eyes' I'm Wide Awake It's Morning soon before that). I went home and listened to it and my mind was thoroughly blown. I had to listen to it again and again because I couldn't get enough of it. Then Frances came out like a month or two later and I bought it on release day and listened to that one over and over again too.

8 years later and both of those albums are still just as incredible and important as they were when I first heard them, in my eyes.

Yeah that was a pretty significant year for music for me as well. That was the year I graduated high school so there are a lot of bands that kinda remind of me that transition. The Faint, Bright Eyes, Arcade Fire, QOTSA, Dir en grey, Rilo Kiley, NIN, TMV, LCD Soundsystem, a bunch of huge bands had great releases. I guess everyone kinda has a year like that.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
So, it looks like someone may have leaked 15 unreleased tracks to TheComatorium.

quote:

Thanks to Kazza3 from The Comatorium

,14 - 'Clouds'
Length: 5:07
Almost completed track (TMV)
Offcut from/intended for Noctourniquet
Recorded in Nocto sessions, between 2009-12
Personnel: Cedric, Omar, Juan, Deantoni
Was performed instrumentally live on the ORLG (Secret Volta) tour in 2011 at The Southgate House, when Cedric was sick. Was recognised as a potential Nocto track at the time, and was also referred to as the 'Lurking About jam' due to a supposed similarity to the Lurking About In A Cold Sweat bassline.
Lyrics (combination of Shareeb's transcription and my own):
Spoiler

98d87 - Molochwalker (early demo)
Length: 4:18
Rough demo/rehearsal
Instrumental
Intended for Octahedron; later reworked for Noctourniquet
Recorded at some point prior to Octa, probably 2008
Personnel: Omar, Thomas
Seems to be an early reherasal of Molochwalker with just Omar & Pridgen, as it's already known that the track was originally intended to be on Octahedron but was later dropped.
Confirmed to be Pridgen

cmv8 - Sea Is Rising (demo)
Length: 3:07
Early rough mixdown track (ORL)
Instrumental
Recording eventually completed for Unicorn Skeleton Mask
Recording date unknown, presumably 2009 or later
Personnel: Omar, Juan, Deantoni
This is the same recording that appears on USM, but before vocals and synths were added, and with a rough mix & quality.

dp - ? (needs a name)
Length: 6:05
Demo (ORL)
Instrumental
Probably recorded 2004-2006
Personnel: Omar, Juan, Jon
Demo track with Theodore on drums, multiple guitar tracks, sound manipulation & keys by Omar, and Juan.
Has been suggested that it could be a Somnambulists track.

ef4 - ? (needs a name)
Length: 3:47
Demo
Instrumental
Presumably recorded between late 2006-2009 (possibly 2008-2009)
Personnel: Omar, Thomas (could be Juan on bass, or just Omar)
Has been suggested that it is a variant of Dyna Sark Arches from A Manual Dexterity
Includes Omar playing acoustic has the basis for the track
Confirmed to be Pridgen

eog-3 - 'Postulate'
Length: 4:08
Near completed track (TMV)
Offcut from/intended for Noctourniquet
Personnel: Cedric, Omar, Juan, Deantoni
The second potential Nocto offcut track. Possibly rougher vocal takes from Cedric than 'Clouds'.
Has been suggested that some of the lyrics have been reused in a Zavalaz song.
Lyrics (combination of Shareeb's transcription and my own):
Spoiler

f9h0 - Casate Colmillo (demo)
Length: 4:52
Rough demo (Somnambulists)
Instrumental
Later used on The Somnambulists/Telesterion
Presumably recorded 2003-2005?
Seems to be a different recording/take to the one eventually heard on Telesterion.

f39h - ? (needs a name)
Length: 6:53
Partially completed track?
Instrumental
Presumably recorded before 2006
Personnel: Omar, Juan, Jon (possibly with Marcel, or maybe Ikey)
Spacey track, some have described it as Zeppelinesque, with organ and mellotron flute in the middle, and Theodore on drums.
Some have suggested its similarity to the Trinkets jam.

k49 - 'Whisper To Your Flinch'/'Peeling Off'
Length: 3:32
Early mixdown track (TMV)
Offcut from/intended for Bedlam, presumably
Presumably recorded in Bedlam sessions, 2007-2008
Personnel: Cedric, Omar, Juan, Pridgen
Seems to not have all parts fully recorded, or effects added yet (in a similar way to the Deloused Summer Sessions), but pretty complete
The 'When it calls me' line was apparently sung in a pre-Tetra jam at an Australian gig in 2008
Confirmed to be Pridgen
Lyrics (Shareeb's transcription):
Spoiler

pi4 - Happiness (demo)
Length: 5:16
Instrumental
Recording eventually completed for Unicorn Skeleton Mask
Recording date unknown, presumably 2009 or later
Personnel: Omar
This is the same recording that appears on USM (I think), but before vocals, synths, acoustic drums and additional effects were added, and with a rough mix.

qr5' - ? (needs a name)
Length: 6:42
Rough demo
Instrumental
Presumably recorded prior to 2006
Has a percussion & mellotron breakdown.
It has been suggested that a lot of the drums are the same as A Plague Upon Your Hissing, and that some of it is the same as the second half of the 2001 demo version of Roulette Dares.
It has also been suggested that it's a very early version of Metatron.
It has even further been suggested that it's reminiscent of the tracks on Old Money.

s[fqw - 'Clouds' (demo)
Length: 5:38
Rough demo (TMV)
Instrumental
Later reworked as 'Clouds' (track 1) for Noctourniquet, but not used
Presumably recorded 2008-2009
Personnel: Omar, Juan, Thomas
An earlier version of 'Clouds' from the first track, with Pridgen on drums- possibly intended to have been for Octahedron, but not used
-Confirmed to be Pridgen.

xv8 - Asco Que Conmueve Los Puntos Erogenos/New York City (demo)
Length: 3:59
Instrumental
Recording eventually completed for Xenophanes
Personnel: Omar, Juan, Thomas, maybe Marcel?
This is the same recording that appears on Xeno, but before vocals, Mark Aanderud's piano, and some final parts were added, and with a rough mix & quality. There are also some parts here that don't appear in the final version.
The name 'New York City' comes from the name of the track when it was performed live by ORLG in 2009 as an instrumental.
It is believed that this and the rest of the Xenophanes album were originally intended for TMV.
Confirmed to be Pridgen.

y2g - Vicarious Atonement (demo)
Length: 10:36
Rough early demo (TMV)
Intended for Amputechture
Presumably recorded 2005-06
Personnel: Cedric, Juan/Omar (no guitar, bass could be Omar?), Marcel/Ikey
Really early demo of Vicarious Atonement, done to a click track with just bass, keys & vocals. Seems to just be one take from Cedric, with him commenting "I'm done" after a while of the outro, leaving 4 minutes of repeating bass & keys.

ytj6 - 'Clouds' (Early Omar demo)
Length: 6:21
Early Omar demo
Instrumental
Not known when recorded
Personnel: Omar
Seems to be the original recording of the ideas of this song by Omar, apparently just at his computer, with overdubbed guitars.
It has been suggested that this is a duet with Frusciante, but it's hard to say."

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Badass, Cedric mentioned them on his twitter today:

"The recent TMV leaks are from a session we did w/ @davidguetta during our residency at Ibiza hot spot RAMROD"

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Excellent. This will probably get me more than either of their newer projects.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

:gizz: so pumped to hear these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

This stuff is surprisingly good.

• Locked thread