Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Flaskraven posted:

Sweden's most beautiful princess is getting married now. To a New York Banker called Chris O'Neil

gently caress the monarchy.

EDIT: A picture from the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Two eagles crashed into each other in mid-air. Such majestic creatures.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

:frogsiren:A SECOND EAGLE HAS HIT THE TARMAC:frogsiren:

On another note,

westernpolitics.jpg

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
These always make me feel warm inside.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Why right-wingers hate CitiBikes:

Source: New York Magazine

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I haven't seen any reports saying so, but Agenda 21 probably fits into it too, somehow.

Sex and entertainment, Lenin's secret weapons.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

And now she put up a new video to defend her previous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuRqrfmeAI

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

And now she put up a new video to defend her previous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuRqrfmeAI

Holy poo poo the smugness is pain inducing. Is everybody that works at the WSJ this smug?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Goatman Sacks posted:

I'm fairly sure the T-34 eliminated a lot more fascists than some folksy redneck with a guitar.

Congratulations for not knowing poo poo about Woody Guthrie. He affected the hayseed persona very well, but he was pretty much the polar opposite of the redneck stereotype. There's a fair criticism of Guthrie and the Almanac Singers in general, since we're on the subject of anti-Fascism, in that they wrote anti-war songs during the tenuous peace between Russia and Germany but went hog-wild for war once the peace dissolved and they could safely back the US in the fight against Fascism. Still, his contribution to the embedding of Left politics in American musical culture really can't be overlooked. Besides that he's a fascinating and complex figure in his own right. If you know the first thing about Rock music, it's that Bob Dylan would not exist if not for Guthrie. Nor would the musical culture which birthed the Highlander School and other staples of the Civil Rights movement have been as robust without his involvement.

Get bent and/or read Joe Klein's biography of Guthrie.

Unrelated:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Um, being a redneck doesn't mean you are dumb, racist or fascist.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

Holy poo poo the smugness is pain inducing. Is everybody that works at the WSJ this smug?

Go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's the best show.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Um, being a redneck doesn't mean you are dumb, racist or fascist.

From an outsider, the whole redneck stereotype hate seems pretty classist as hell. It's just like UK "chavs".

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Fluo posted:

From an outsider, the whole redneck stereotype hate seems pretty classist as hell. It's just like UK "chavs".

It is exactly this. You would not even loving believe the number of idiots on the left who I have heard rail on "white trash." White trash in my experience pretty much means "white friend of the family" and after going to a smallish school with a high level of income equality I can tell you first hand that it can articulate an unbelievable amount of hate.

Edit:VV That is true, but my view has always been that in the same way that I don't hate inner city black kids for gang-banging, I don't hate poor as gently caress rural whites for being racists.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 9, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Both "trash" and "friend of the family" are terms used by the old landowner class to pit the two groups against one another. So, yes, loaded with class issues. But there are a whole lot of people who have bought into it even to this day, and prize their superiority over blacks because it is all they have.

That there is not massa. That's the overseer, a tenant farmer or maybe even an indentured servant.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Sakarja posted:

As I wrote earlier, this probably isn't the best place for any extensive discussion of which movements and regimes actually qualify as fascist. I don't think the Dollfuss regime (not to mention what followed WWII) qualifies, but I don’t want to derail the thread. If people want to discuss it, maybe someone could start a thread.

Defining what is and isn't a fascist regime is difficult, since both fascism and its more extreme offshoot nazism are largely void of any guiding ideology. They are outspokenly anti-intellectual, and celebrate gut feelings and intuition above reason. Nazism in particular never had any overarching philosophy beyond "Whatever Hitler happens to be saying at the moment (PS the jews still suck)".

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Gazpacho posted:

I haven't seen any reports saying so, but Agenda 21 probably fits into it too, somehow.

Sex and entertainment, Lenin's secret weapons.

Lenin never said that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KoldPT posted:

Go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's the best show.

Pretty much.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

front wing flexing posted:

Lenin never said that.
:thejoke:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I don't get what all the fuss is about. I mean, the law is there for a reason. If you follow the law as laid out by the government then you'll be fine. I mean, where's the confusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWam4EWI48M

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Still literally killed less fascists than this machine:

Come on, it's like you aren't even keeping score!

az
Dec 2, 2005

Flood in Germany surpassed 2002 record, water still rising, poo poo hosed.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fluo posted:

While this is no doubt true, I'd wager that the chav stereotype is more purely classist. Rednecks are also associated with the Civil War, the KKK and segregation laws.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

az posted:

Flood in Germany surpassed 2002 record, water still rising, poo poo hosed.

Flood for the Flood God

Oh, and now there have been threats to blow up levees.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Considering the term "redneck" was a derogatory term for poor people who worked outside all day so their neck was sunburned, hence Red Neck, it's pretty obvious it's classism.

Recently the term has been "stolen" by yankees and suburbanites as a way to feel independent or contrary. As someone who knows actual poor southerners who struggle to get by, it's pretty annoying to see some 16 year old driving a brand new mustang with "REDNECK" written on the back window.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDz8jtMrm9s

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/mattsh1/Email%20-%20Photobucket/6-9-13-pb-994168_510814998985795_283590207_n.jpg

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7d6ZwAp28Y

His updated version:

quote:

The Cold War now is over
But the stakes are getting higher
I'm frightened of collateral damage and of friendly fire
And I don't believe we can defeat no Axis of Evil
By putting smart bombs in the hands of dumb people

The original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjLXyqD3lvI

quote:

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
It's a mighty long way down rock 'n roll
From Top of the Pops to drawing the dole
If no one seems to understand
Start your own revolution and cut out the middleman

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The whole chav discussion leaves me with a few questions. See, my wife used to live in the UK for a few years with her sister starting when she was 15, and she really didn't like dealing with self-identified chavs. From her stories, they were often really aggressive or violent. She was protesting at Democracy Village a few years ago and talked about how they had a problem with chavs kind of crashing the place and being really hostile to everyone while at the same time trying to stay there. They would start fights and just generally didn't seem interested in trying to get along with anyone. Not quite as bad as her dealings with skinheads (near-rapes and near-beatings) but not really pleasant, either. The phenomenon of "games" like happy slapping furthers that image. Thing is, she's by no means particularly privileged or anything. The both of us have been pretty poor working-class people our whole lives. I can't imagine her distaste for chavs comes from any sort of detached elitism, especially since she often encountered them personally.

Is there, like, a difference between the media representation of chavs where ALL working class people are implied to be violent and unruly, while actual chavs are just a specific subculture, or is it something else?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Kit Walker posted:

Is there, like, a difference between the media representation of chavs where ALL working class people are implied to be violent and unruly, while actual chavs are just a specific subculture, or is it something else?

I think it really is close to the way rednecks are talked about in the US, with strong elements of disaffected urban youth. As a 'subculture' it probably developed from exposure to MTV etc. in the 1980s, along with the availability of cheap but visually distinctive 'shell suits'. I don't know enough about their sociology to say if there is a self-identifying subculture, or if it is just a prejudiced label imposed by the better off.

Wikipedia suggests the word 'chav' comes from the Romani 'chavi' or 'child' and emerged in the late 90s. However, I grew up near Newcastle during the early 90s and we used the word 'charver' to mean basically the same thing, although I've heard of any significance being given to this.

Most cities in the UK have or had their own regional version (scally, townie etc.) but chav seems to have gotten national recognition.

'Charver nativity.'

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

More anti-gay marriage protests in France, this time on le terre battue of Roland Garros. The men's final got stopped briefly in the 2nd set twice: first, when Rafa Nadal was serving to David Ferrer a group in the upper decks of Court Phillipe Chatrier began chanting loudly, and then during the changeover this guy with a flare ran onto the court, leaving a burning rag behind him.

(It's not like this affected the result any, because this is Rafa Nadal on a clay-court and all.)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

There are few things worse than a self-proclaimed Redneck. It's full of a sort of self-love about how dumb one is and how it's OK because, you know, "book learnin'" is for Queers or some poo poo. Just from my personal experience, of course, spanning a couple States (WV and SC).

Lotte Lenya!

Her Mack the Knife in German;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMh5auMaVQ

Fled the Nazis, back in the day.

As Rosa Klebb in From Russia, with love

I think it was she who said that she fled Germany when there were Nazis everywhere and after the war you couldn't find any, anywhere. As if "It was all a dream" (sarcasm). That may have been another singer/actress though, I'm not positive. All the Nazi talk reminded me of it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Haha this is Žižek as gently caress!!

Here's him in South Korea making some really salient points about capitalisms and the future to a pretty huge crowd. I know its long, but honestly you could do a lot worse than giving this some of your time. Feel free to skip to around 25:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkrID3nYMw

Zizek at occup:

Series of pencil drawings on the Grand Trunk Road

Volcanic sand on canvas, still from the Salvadoran civil war

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

The whole chav discussion leaves me with a few questions. See, my wife used to live in the UK for a few years with her sister starting when she was 15, and she really didn't like dealing with self-identified chavs. From her stories, they were often really aggressive or violent. She was protesting at Democracy Village a few years ago and talked about how they had a problem with chavs kind of crashing the place and being really hostile to everyone while at the same time trying to stay there. They would start fights and just generally didn't seem interested in trying to get along with anyone. Not quite as bad as her dealings with skinheads (near-rapes and near-beatings) but not really pleasant, either. The phenomenon of "games" like happy slapping furthers that image. Thing is, she's by no means particularly privileged or anything. The both of us have been pretty poor working-class people our whole lives. I can't imagine her distaste for chavs comes from any sort of detached elitism, especially since she often encountered them personally.

I don't know, substitute "blacks" for chavs in everything your wife said and tell me how reasonable it seems.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

I don't know, substitute "blacks" for chavs in everything your wife said and tell me how reasonable it seems.

Black people get to complain about other black people, white people get to complain about other white people. You think everyone who complains about ignorant white hillbillies is doing so from Grosse Pointe or something?

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013
My home town in Scotland is predominantly working class, and everyone used the word 'ned', which basically is basically a synonym for chav. But it referred to a certain largely working class youth subculture, not 'poor people' or anything like that. There were people who came from quite comfortable backgrounds that were regarded by others and themselves as neds, without contradiction. I suppose this is partly because your class doesn't need to line up with your economic status in Britain. When I went to university, however, I noticed some middle class people using the word to refer to anyone who lived in a housing scheme or was on benefits or whatever.

For content, here's a shockingly brazen example of patriarchal leg-spread, a la that tumblr posted earlier:

Encolpio fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 9, 2013

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Two dozen armed Negroes entered the State Capitol at noon today and made their way to the back of the Assembly Chamber before they were disarmed and searched by the state police. The Assembly was in session at the time and Speaker Pro Tem. Carlos Bee ordered the men removed from the Chamber.

Outside the chamber the police took away the weapons. The men argued they could carry the weapons as long as they were not concealed.

Not Concealed

Apparently the fact the weapons were not concealed was the reason the men were able to get as far as the Assembly Chamber before they were ...

After the state police questioned the men they returned the weapons ... intruders had broken no law.

Following their release by the state police, the men left the Capitol and rejoined ... who ... outside during the incident. They then drove off.

Four to five carloads of the Black Panther group later drove into a service station at ... and L Streets. Several police officers took the demonstrators to a city jail.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
This is clever.

• Locked thread