Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is actually a bug, if a Maimed person gets Wounded again in a random event, it won't actually show the Wounded, but you can get the 'Wound Healed into a Scar' event anyway, which removes Maimed as well.

No, there is an event specifically for Maimed healing. It is not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is actually a bug, if a Maimed person gets Wounded again in a random event, it won't actually show the Wounded, but you can get the 'Wound Healed into a Scar' event anyway, which removes Maimed as well.

There's an event that's like "Holy poo poo it's a loving miracle, I am healed". It's different from the wounded one and very explicitly about the maimed trait. I've seen it like once ever.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Noreaus posted:

No, there is an event specifically for Maimed healing. It is not a bug.

Then you can get healed two ways then :shobon:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Well, the Byzantine empire has collapsed and I'm now a vassal of the massive and powerful Fatimids. Bang goes the reform of Rome :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Holy *poo poo* giving vassals at home crusader counties was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Tord, you *motherfucking git* of an uncle gargh I hate gavelkind

now my country is a loving patchwork of provinces owned by an idiot who won't die but pisses away the levantine holdings

gently caress that guy.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

V. Illych L. posted:

Holy *poo poo* giving vassals at home crusader counties was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Tord, you *motherfucking git* of an uncle gargh I hate gavelkind

now my country is a loving patchwork of provinces owned by an idiot who won't die but pisses away the levantine holdings

gently caress that guy.

Best get your murdering shoes on buddy.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
So how does one go about making an empire or big kingdom collapse? Francia is huge in my game (as Denmark) right now. They basically rule all of Europe. I tried leaving them with a hunchbacked moron as a ruler via assassinations. But the kingdom is so huge that even if I can get some Dukes to rebel, it's not enough to overcome those who don't. I don't want to send in my chancellor to go stir up dissent. I've tried assassinations to get a loser in power, I've tried sending money (so much money) to people who don't like the king. What else can I do?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Might be a wait longer on that CK2+ mod: Paradox have announced a pretty big Steam beta patch downloadable now that'll do half the work for Wiz. If it works out, it'll be pushed out next week.

Meanwhile, Thomas de Coucy just whipped Philippe of France's butt for a county. Sadly his slow son with zero ( literally 0) abilities died a natural death at the age of 2.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

So how does one go about making an empire or big kingdom collapse? Francia is huge in my game (as Denmark) right now. They basically rule all of Europe. I tried leaving them with a hunchbacked moron as a ruler via assassinations. But the kingdom is so huge that even if I can get some Dukes to rebel, it's not enough to overcome those who don't. I don't want to send in my chancellor to go stir up dissent. I've tried assassinations to get a loser in power, I've tried sending money (so much money) to people who don't like the king. What else can I do?

Yeah, this is a big problem with how vassal rebellions primarily work only with factions now. If having a terrible leader isn't enough, and if the empire is Catholic, have you tried sponsoring an Antipope? It'll take time for him to work his heretical magic, but once moral authority is low enough heresies should start tearing the empire apart. Coupled with a dumbass emperor, this ought to work.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, this is a big problem with how vassal rebellions primarily work only with factions now. If having a terrible leader isn't enough, and if the empire is Catholic, have you tried sponsoring an Antipope? It'll take time for him to work his heretical magic, but once moral authority is low enough heresies should start tearing the empire apart. Coupled with a dumbass emperor, this ought to work.

I'm actually the head of the reformed Norse church.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

I'm actually the head of the reformed Norse church.

Whoops, sorry, didn't think of that.

Well, I'm stumped. You got a screenshot or something so we can see how bad it is?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DrSunshine posted:

Okay, I'll look into it! What's weird is that I'm pretty sure I started Girl Power after the new beta patch came out, using only the vanilla CK2 files.

Unless another patch came out? That doesn't make sense, we'd have heard about it.

I was playing your Girl Power mod and ran into a bug. Seems having a daughter fulfills the "Have a Son" ambition. Not sure if that's working as intended or not, since the functional differences between boy and girl children are pretty minor with the mod running.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

toasterwarrior posted:

Whoops, sorry, didn't think of that.

Well, I'm stumped. You got a screenshot or something so we can see how bad it is?

So the year is 1065, the game is normally just set to begin. As Denmark I'm fairly happy with my situation. I've had Norway secured for hundreds of years and it's mostly all du jure Denmark at this point. I've reformed the Norse faith and our moral authority is high. Sweden and I are best buds and Sweden just recently calmed down after the reformation of the faith. I've been slowly expanding into Ireland. But Francia has been rumbling below me. They took Holstein for a while, but one of my dukes managed to get it back for himself during a brief failed Francia rebellion. I really don't like having an angry neighbor who is that size.

Fender fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 9, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Litany Unheard posted:

I was playing your Girl Power mod and ran into a bug. Seems having a daughter fulfills the "Have a Son" ambition. Not sure if that's working as intended or not, since the functional differences between boy and girl children are pretty minor with the mod running.

That's a bug! I'd done a find-and-replace on all the ambitions in order to allow more ambitions to female rulers, getting rid of "IsFemale=no". Woops! I'll get on it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there some way of stopping my character trying to march off and get himself killed everytime I raise an army?

When you raise on army from one of your duchies and you get the "in command" message, click on the army and then click on your character's name. It will give you the option to select from a list of other possible commanders. You can sort the list by martial ability. You also may want to be careful about using your heirs.

If I have an old ruler who's probably about to die anyway and who has a high martial ability, I just run him out there because I like winning battles and it's a pretty :black101: way to go.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fender posted:

So the year is 1065, the game is normally just set to begin. As Denmark I'm fairly happy with my situation. I've had Norway secured for hundreds of years and it's mostly all du jure Denmark at this point. I've reformed the Norse faith and our moral authority is high. Sweden and I are best buds and Sweden just recently calmed down after the reformation of the faith. I've been slowly expanding into Ireland. But Francia has been rumbling below me. They took Holstein for a while, but one of my dukes managed to get it back for himself during a brief failed Francia rebellion. I really don't like having an angry neighbor who is that size.

Are they still Gavelkind, if so just murder the king

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

Rumda posted:

Are they still Gavelkind, if so just murder the king

I've murdered so many princes. That kingdom is just absurdly stable. The current king is a beloved hunchback mastermind theologian who is kind and brave and charitable. You make me sick!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Aw man. I usurped the Byzantine Empire in my Ivar the Boneless game, but unfortunately with pagans it doesn't give you all of the Byzantine-specific events. I wanted to reform the Roman Empire because as they say, barbarians make the best Romans.

On that note, I'm pretty sure that part of why I was able to usurp it was huge chunks of the ERE de jure drifted out of the ERE and into Scandinavia. I never could quite figure out how de jure drift works. For example, for some reason all of Hispania except for Asturias is de jure drifting into Scandinavia. Is that because I didn't form any of the other kingdoms except for Asturias due to the culture requirements? That said, I did create Sicily and that also drifted into Scandinavia as well. Shrug.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fender posted:

I've murdered so many princes. That kingdom is just absurdly stable. The current king is a beloved hunchback mastermind theologian who is kind and brave and charitable. You make me sick!

Wait you've been killing the sons? That's the worst thing to do, if you leave loads of sons alive then the realm will be divided in to many parts, try marrying a attractive lustful woman to the heir maybe a few generations down the line they will have too many kids.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Fender posted:

Here's a trick I learned: try finding a courtier in the line of succession who's unmarried. Preferably someone not directly in the king's court. Marry him to a relative. Your relative will go off to his court if he accepts. Then, go to your relative's diplo page and invite her back to your court; she'll drag him kicking and screaming along with her. Convert him to your religion (bribery might be necessary), and then start stabbing heirs until he takes the throne. Dukes who will put up with a stuttering hunchbacked imbecile will lose their poo poo about an infidel. Best case, there will be independence wars and claim wars simultaneously, leaving the realm a mess. Worst case, he'll quietly relinquish his titles to various angry vassals, potentially splitting the realm if he has multiple top-level titles.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like they're a Primogenture. And keep in mind that I'm of the king of Denmark and the pope of the Norse faith. Most of our diplomatic interactions are limited to "gently caress you!" and "No, gently caress you!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I haven't played this game for months. Gonna download the Old Gods, but is there a go-to mod now that CK2+ isn't updated anymore?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've gotten an actual event that said that I was no longer maimed, and that it was a miracle.

Edit: drat, I shouldn't reply after leaving the window open for twenty minutes. Beaten like one-province Catholics bordering a Norse state.

GrabbinPeels fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 9, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fender posted:

So the year is 1065...

Oh, so the king is a virtuous hunchback? That's still not good: the virtues combined will give a better opinion bonus than the penalty to hunchback. Keep stabbing until the king is an rear end in a top hat with vices and/or genetic defects, and that'll really piss everyone off. I've had empires turn into patchwork hell that way.

Meanwhile, I suppose you can blob up by either subjugating Sweden or speeding your conquest of Ireland since you can easily run them down. If you want to take a gamble, you could declare a Great Holy War for England while the Karlings are busy with a civil war and crush England ASAP before the Germans rally.

DarkCrawler posted:

I haven't played this game for months. Gonna download the Old Gods, but is there a go-to mod now that CK2+ isn't updated anymore?

There'll be one more update, but I think Wiz is waiting on the official release of 1.101. Meanwhile, I've tried out VIET + the More Ambitions mod. They're pretty good actually: though not as extensive as CK2+, the little events, ambitions, and various new traits are fun since you'll always have something to strive for in both peacetime and wartime. Norse pagans benefit doubly since you can get the wartime traits and ambitions simply by going out to loot and burn.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2013

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Nolanar posted:

Here's a trick I learned: try finding a courtier in the line of succession who's unmarried. Preferably someone not directly in the king's court. Marry him to a relative. Your relative will go off to his court if he accepts. Then, go to your relative's diplo page and invite her back to your court; she'll drag him kicking and screaming along with her. Convert him to your religion (bribery might be necessary), and then start stabbing heirs until he takes the throne. Dukes who will put up with a stuttering hunchbacked imbecile will lose their poo poo about an infidel. Best case, there will be independence wars and claim wars simultaneously, leaving the realm a mess. Worst case, he'll quietly relinquish his titles to various angry vassals, potentially splitting the realm if he has multiple top-level titles.

I learned that marrying lots of their sons matrilineally can work pretty well too, because the products of that marriage are liable to wind up your religion and your culture and may take the throne. In my Ethiopian Miaphysite game (1.09), I accidentally destabilized the HRE for about a century that way. Two of my relatives actually sat on the throne, and the rest of the time the vassals were just rebelling because they didn't like the guy the previous rebellion installed.

I was only marrying for prestige :shobon:

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
Argh...how the hell am I supposed to fight the Il Khanate as the Karen Empire of Persia? I can't even get to their magically attrition-free armies before they've built up enough war score to autodefeat me, and even in the second war they're throwing like 150K+ of these guys at me. If not for the total lack of attrition on their doom stacks, I could at least fight back, but as it is it looks like it's just arbitrarily game over...

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So its year 1072, I finally managed to break the siege of Desmond and make it as my own(I was following kinda the guide and picked Desmond) and I am honestly having a blast

Someone WAY earlier said this was like the Sims for your empire and it is a blast. I was possessed by the Devil, managed to buy a Inn and run it, plus also got 2 warring families to hug everything out.
I still don't know what all I'm doing and I am not even sure if I push for any more land besides the 3 I have but man this is fun.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Neorxenawang posted:

Argh...how the hell am I supposed to fight the Il Khanate as the Karen Empire of Persia? I can't even get to their magically attrition-free armies before they've built up enough war score to autodefeat me, and even in the second war they're throwing like 150K+ of these guys at me. If not for the total lack of attrition on their doom stacks, I could at least fight back, but as it is it looks like it's just arbitrarily game over...

If you still control all of the Kingdom level titles destroy the Empire title and swear fealty to the IlKhanate and destroy them from within after taking shitloads of land in their name.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
What form of succession/crown authority is most likely to break apart or weaken big blobby empires? The Byzantines are huge in my game and I want to keep them from continuing to expand. Should I edit the save file to make them.. pure cognatic gavelkind with low crown authority..? Is that most liable to cause civil wars?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Qwo posted:

What form of succession/crown authority is most likely to break apart or weaken big blobby empires? The Byzantines are huge in my game and I want to keep them from continuing to expand. Should I edit the save file to make them.. pure cognatic gavelkind with low crown authority..? Is that most liable to cause civil wars?

If you're going to try to shatter them entirely, go for Absolute Crown Authority. This pisses off vassals to no end and prevents them from doing pretty much anything but plot against the Basileus anyway. If you want to do it without editing save files, find my post about seducing and recruiting claimants, and try to get someone of your religion on the throne. It has a very good chance of causing an implosion.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
All this talk of authority, maybe someone can help me out...

So my problem I mentioned yesterday with Ireland was starting in the 800's, and not 1066. So I start in 1066, it's going well, I get Leinster, take Ossory and Kildare, trying to fabricate a claim on another county...and my king (original king) dies.

BANG! I lose the titles to Leinster, Ossory, and Kildare, even with them formed into a petty kingdom.

So what am I missing?

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
Very specific question coming - Can the AI host banquets? I think I've been invited to a tournament but never a banquet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CobiWann posted:

All this talk of authority, maybe someone can help me out...

So my problem I mentioned yesterday with Ireland was starting in the 800's, and not 1066. So I start in 1066, it's going well, I get Leinster, take Ossory and Kildare, trying to fabricate a claim on another county...and my king (original king) dies.

BANG! I lose the titles to Leinster, Ossory, and Kildare, even with them formed into a petty kingdom.

So what am I missing?

Did you have more than one Petty Kingdom title? Are you on Gavelkind?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DrSunshine posted:

Did you have more than one Petty Kingdom title? Are you on Gavelkind?

I haven't changed anything in terms of succession laws, and the only titles I've formed at two duchies and the Petty Kingdom.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CobiWann posted:

I haven't changed anything in terms of succession laws, and the only titles I've formed at two duchies and the Petty Kingdom.

Petty Kingdoms are duchies. If you have Gavelkind succession and hold two "petty kingdoms"/Duchies, they will be split between your children.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DrSunshine posted:

Petty Kingdoms are duchies. If you have Gavelkind succession and hold two "petty kingdoms"/Duchies, they will be split between your children.

Well, poo poo. I'd like to avoid that for simplicty's sake. Can I?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Well, poo poo. I'd like to avoid that for simplicty's sake. Can I?

You could try avoiding creating a second duchy under Gavelkind, assassinating all your heirs except your firstborn, or, if you're Pagan, reforming your faith (if you can) so that you can change the succession laws.

Good news! I've managed to fix Sonendar for the latest patch version. The bad news is that it's based on Vanilla CK2 rather than CK2+. However, it works!

The weird weird thing is that everybody is at an absurdly high tech level. Like level 6 or 7 or something. It's really bizarre, and leads to people having ridiculous levies. How do I change this?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Did they break the 1066 Norman invasion in one of the recent patches or what? I've started a few 1066 games recently and it seems impossible for Duke William to win now, at least when watching the AI do it. Duke William shows up with less than 10,000 men, and almost immediately gets crushed by 30,000 men under King Harold.

That's not how it's supposed to work, god dammit.

It seems both the Norwegians and the English get 30,000 men so I guess their armies are supposed to destroy each other but there is never any battle of Stamford Bridge. Harold just turns right around and wipes out William every single time.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 9, 2013

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Did they break the 1066 Norman invasion in one of the recent patches or what? I've started a few 1066 games recently and it seems impossible for Duke William to win now, at least when watching the AI do it. Duke William shows up with less than 10,000 men, and almost immediately gets crushed by 30,000 men under King Harold.

That's not how it's supposed to work, god dammit.

It seems both the Norwegians and the English get 30,000 men so I guess their armies are supposed to destroy each other but there is never any battle of Stamford Bridge. Harold just turns right around and wipes out William every single time.

Yeah, I see Norway winning usually, though in one game somehow William's son immediately got the throne of France somehow, then conquered England which was crazy until the Capets retook their throne and England ended up in some kinda crazy never ending civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Exactly how many concubines can a character have? I managed to secure several through war but wondered if there was a stopping point.

• Locked thread