Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcaYgFZ9IDM of a big dude on a stealth 14. I'm pretty sure I'm not as big as this dude but I've never really seen myself 3rd person before. I think I'm gonna order the stealth 14 and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
How does Carolina rigging work?

I picked up the hardware to do it, tied a three or four foot leader on, rigged a 6" curlytail worm, and made exactly one cast before going back to my trusty jigheads & grubs. Holy smokes was that thing awkward.

Using a general purpose 6'6 F/MH casting rod.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Operating Rod posted:

How does Carolina rigging work?

I picked up the hardware to do it, tied a three or four foot leader on, rigged a 6" curlytail worm, and made exactly one cast before going back to my trusty jigheads & grubs. Holy smokes was that thing awkward.

Using a general purpose 6'6 F/MH casting rod.

It's mostly useful in grassy areas, that's about the only place I throw it. Ideally you want your leader length to be about as long as the grass on the bottom is tall. I usually go up to about 2, 2 1/2 feet at the very most because more than that and I feel it just gets awkward to deal with. I'm usually using a 7' F/MH rod with it.

I use a 1/4oz or more bullet weight, small plastic bead to make a 'clacking' noise and to protect the knot from the weight, small barrel swivel, ~2ft leader and finally a 3/0 hook with a fluke or trick worm on it. Skin bury the tip of the hook back into the bait to keep it weedless and you're good to go. Cast it out and just kind of finesse/bounce the weight around the bottom. The fluke will float weightlessly and stay on the top or near the top of the grass while the weight cuts through it.

The main benefits I see to it are mostly that it eliminates line twist thanks to the barrel swivel and you don't have to yank the weight out of the fishes mouth when setting the hook like you occasionally have to with a texas rig.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

PREYING MANTITS posted:

fluke or trick worm

It did not occur to me to try a floating worm and I feel dumb now. When I'm not fishing a grub, I'm usually fishing a weightless trick worm on my spinning rod.

:doh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

One of six smallmouths my dad and I pulled in yesterday. All of them just a hair under legal. :negative:

Oh well, was nice to get out and have a lazy day fishing regardless. Didn't realize we had a fishing thread. :)

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Dik Hz posted:

Fourth quater bonus: 7'6 4wt glass rod

Going to hit up the Shenandoah park this weekend to catch some brookies.
How's this rod working out for you? Swinging my 9' rod around SNP is difficult.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for fishing walleye and largemouth bass in cold water? I'm in northern MN, so the ice took a while to come off and it seems like the fish have slowed down a bit compared to previous years.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Drunk Badger posted:

Any tips for fishing walleye and largemouth bass in cold water? I'm in northern MN, so the ice took a while to come off and it seems like the fish have slowed down a bit compared to previous years.

How cold of water are you talking about? I was able to target early season LMB in North Texas with water holding around 51 deg or so by working the biggest plastic worm I had, super slow, focusing around drop offs and extended shore line points.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Rythe posted:

How cold of water are you talking about? I was able to target early season LMB in North Texas with water holding around 51 deg or so by working the biggest plastic worm I had, super slow, focusing around drop offs and extended shore line points.

I don't have a way to measure it, but I'd guess it's around 50. There was ice on this lake until a few weeks ago, and the air temp hasn't gotten above 65F often.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Got talked into going garage sale shopping this morning, hit the jackpot when we came across a guy selling some tackle and he was ready to be done with it.

$40 got me that, current MSRP puts it all at just under $200 and that's only the ones I can ID. There's a few in there that have been custom painted and the maker's marks are covered. Lotta DT-16s and Bagley DB2/3s with a couple Strike King XDs and a King Shad that isn't pictured.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wow that is a hell of a good deal there, that should easily keep you in crank baits for the next few years and then some.

Drunk Badger, for North Texas, like I said before I was able to target the big momma bass on the drop offs and points with a big 10 inch worm hooked through the middle and I worked that really slow. I did have decent luck with a shallow diving crank bait too, caught a few pre spawn males that way, small ones but not to bad.

Not sure about the walleye, I remember using a spoon in upstate NY as a kid, to almost vertical fish drops off where the walleye where hanging off of, need a depth finder for that or good local lake knowledge though.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So I had a nice little day today shore fishing at Shawnee which is a terrible lake to shore fish from. The weather was nice and I had Radio Margaritaville going on my iPhone so the only thing that could have made my day better would have been a rum and coke in my hand. I only caught 2 yellow perch about the size of my middle finger and a couple bluegills of about the same size.

After getting boned at Shawnee for a few hours I figured I needed a confidence boost and headed to my uncle's pond which is kind of cheating. Only 1 guy fishes the pond and he throws everything back so fish end up being another fishes lunch or die from old age. I ended up pulling out a 13" yellow perch, some hammer bluegills, and a handful of really small bass.

I really need to learn about river smallmouth. My kayak should be here this weekend hopefully, bass comes in june 15th i believe. A guy i work with said something about 3" skirted tubes or something like that. Anyone have any tips they can send my way?

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Got some fishing time in yesterday with the family. The pond is located on the grounds of my local rod&gun club, and is nice and quiet. Primary population based on my limited experience seems to be bluegill (well, we call them pumpkinseed, but whatever, I have no idea), perch, and pickerel. Oh, and a huge-rear end snapping turtle.

Each year, they stock the pond with rainbows and hold a derby -- this year's derby was a week ago.

My daughter, with some help, caught a single pumpkinseed on a worm and bobber, and was thrilled. We also netted a baby turtle and let it swim around in a bucket for a while.

I was getting skunked (as were others fishing the pond, as far as I could tell) but moved around a bit and finally got a decent pickerel hit on my mepps aglia, which is, I swear, my lucky lure. So much fun to cast out and retrieve the shiny lure, and then feel the "bang" hit on it. Good times. Had a baby pickerel take a run at it, which cracked me up. I was retrieving it, just about out of the water, when a pickerel about as big around as my finger took this amazing lunge at it (missed it entirely) from under some weeds. They're ugly fish but fun to catch!

Later in the day I caught a pretty big rainbow, leftover from the derby I'm guessing, on the same lure. It didn't fit right in my net, though, and it wriggled out before my wife could get a snapshot of it. So, now, the fish can grow in every telling of the story ... :)

I'm still pretty new to this fishing thing, but it's hard to come up with a better way of spending an afternoon....

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

SnowDog posted:

I'm still pretty new to this fishing thing, but it's hard to come up with a better way of spending an afternoon....

I've had a pretty lovely season so far either getting completely skunked or catching 1 crappie on multiple outings, but it's so nice to just get out there and paddle around on my kayak that I don't care.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012
Went fishing at the marinas at Lake Ray Hubbard in DFW today went I caught the biggest bass I've caught

Not the biggest by far but I don't hate it :v:. I reckon somewhere near 2lbs? I caught it on a KVD Sexy Shad crank bait - a bait that I've had the most luck on. I've heard to fish with lures that one is confident in and crankbaits are by far the lure that I'm most confident in. My technique is to fan cast in directions similar to an oriental fan and just keep moving around with crankbaits. The only other luck I've had with bass is a swimbait and a daredevil spoon. One lure that I have no idea with what I'm doing are soft plastics. Is it just a slow retrieve skipping along the bottom? If someone could please elaborate on the technique with soft plastics I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the second bass I caught today.

Not as big however.

My buddy was with me today fishing with nothing but a hook with a worm on it and line wrapped around his hand. He caught a decent sized catfish, a turtle who unfortunately swallowed the whole hook, a couple panfish(one a green sunfish and the other a pumpkinseed) and a few of these guys who I believe are stripers?

With all this kayak talk going on recently I thought I'd share with y'all the only picture of my canoe which is on my jeep.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Looks like my yak isn't going to be here this weekend or next weekend for that matter. I ordered a Stealth 14 Friday morning. All day Friday and all weekend my order status was something along the lines of we are preparing your order to ship blah blah blah it will ship in a few hours or few days blah blah blah. I check it today and get this

"STATUS: Not yet shipped
LATEST EVENT: Order Received - May 24, 2013 9:45:33 AM
DESCRIPTION: We've received your order, but we haven't started preparing it for shipment yet. The amount of time your order spends in this status can vary based on the availability of the item(s) and the selected delivery."

WTF Amazon Friday you had one to ship me and today you have them listed as currently unavailable. If I knew for a fact the Stealth 12 would be enough boat to haul my fatass, a cooler, and some fishing gear around I'd order that instead and save 300 bucks as well as get my yak faster since they have the 12 in stock.

e: Nice canoe btw

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

DixielandDelight posted:

Is it just a slow retrieve skipping along the bottom? If someone could please elaborate on the technique with soft plastics I'd really appreciate it.

Nice catch, looks like a fun day. Yeah you pretty much got it, what we do with plastics is texas rig them and let them sink, then slowly pull them along the bottom. We mostly get hits as they sink, and if you feel a knock you want to set the hook pretty quickly. I've noticed missing a few and read an article where the first knock is them inhaling the plastic, and the second is them spitting it out. I like texas rigging because it is mostly weedless so we get less snags and it also looks pretty natural, a lot of people on here suggest wacky rig which I'd like to try, but my go to lake is REALLY overgrown with weeds.

pandasnotdrugs
Sep 15, 2007
I'm new to fishing, and feel a bit of anxiety when scoping out places to fish. The laws are all so confusing! Any goons know of any good spots in Bellevue, WA where I can chill out and learn how to fish?

Jose Juan Carlos
May 1, 2013
What are the benefits of a baitcaster reel over your average spin reel? Someone mentioned to me that you can't properly texas rig on a spin reel, but that makes no sense to me.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

EnsignVix posted:

Nice catch, looks like a fun day. Yeah you pretty much got it, what we do with plastics is texas rig them and let them sink, then slowly pull them along the bottom. We mostly get hits as they sink, and if you feel a knock you want to set the hook pretty quickly. I've noticed missing a few and read an article where the first knock is them inhaling the plastic, and the second is them spitting it out. I like texas rigging because it is mostly weedless so we get less snags and it also looks pretty natural, a lot of people on here suggest wacky rig which I'd like to try, but my go to lake is REALLY overgrown with weeds.

Okay thanks. I just get SKUNKED every time I try a Texas rig. Same method with wacky worm?

Right now I'm just going about trying all these different kinds of lures and seeing which ones work best for me. I'm focusing more on spinnerbaits and beetlespins now especially the beetlespins since they can catch other kinds of fish other than the LMB. Are there any other types of lures that can catch multiple types of fish? Then again, I've seen my friend catch a channel cat on a crank bait :) You just never know it seems like.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Jose Juan Carlos posted:

What are the benefits of a baitcaster reel over your average spin reel? Someone mentioned to me that you can't properly texas rig on a spin reel, but that makes no sense to me.

It sort of comes down to personal preferences but as far as I'm concerned baitcasters are a bit more accurate, can handle greater test line, shines with larger/heavier lures and seem to be a lot easier to winch in fish through things like heavy grass. I prefer spinning reels when I'm wanting to use a light line (I usually use 8lb braid and 6lb mono) and go for a more finesse approach. I prefer to throw my plastics on a spinning rig since they can throw lighter lures better than most baitcasters (trying to throw a 1.5" spoiler shad on a normal baitcaster is just asking for a birds nest).

You can most definitely texas rig with a spinning reel. The only reason I can think they said that was because you can't put your finger on your line to feel for a bite, but generally spinning rods are quite sensitive and you can feel the bite in the rod instead of the line. I have had no problem with it personally.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 30, 2013

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
For Texas rigged stuff I like to cast it and let it sink then use the rod to jerk it up and forward slowly, without reeling. Once it's in a bit ill let it sit and reel in the slack on the line, repeating this process to bring it all the way in. Depending on the water temp/time of year/how the fish are hitting ill go faster or slower. I notice towards the end of the summer I have a lot of luck jerking it really hard, even up to the surface of the water. Lately (still sort of cool in New England) I've had luck going really slow and really letting it sit on the bottom.

I've found that with Texas rigs some brands of bait work way better than others. Baits like Senkos, their Walmart version Yamamotos, and Yum! "Dingers," have the perfect density and have a beautiful action/wiggle on the sink that you don't get out of the lighter worms like strikekings. They also cast much nicer due to the added weight.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

pandasnotdrugs posted:

I'm new to fishing, and feel a bit of anxiety when scoping out places to fish. The laws are all so confusing! Any goons know of any good spots in Bellevue, WA where I can chill out and learn how to fish?

Look up your state department of wildlife and parks. Mine publishes a little book full of maps of everywhere it's cool to fish, limits, etc. And they have thorough websites explaining it all.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We all use spinning reels for inshore saltwater action here, but my buddy told me he used casting rods for bass because it's a lot easier to flip under docks.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

DixielandDelight posted:

Went fishing at the marinas at Lake Ray Hubbard in DFW today went I caught the biggest bass I've caught

Whats up fellow DFW angler, I have caught some great sized LMB out of those marines along with some fun school of sand bass for the ole fish fry.

When it comes to reel selection, I really prefer my bait casters, especially fishing from a kayak. They are smaller, lighter, more compact and the bait casters are very accurate from numerous casting positions. I do keep a spinning reel on me though, that is my ultra lite that I use to target sand bass, crappie and other small species of fish.

Texas Rigs are the way to go for most of your plastic worm use, it is a weedless rig, easy to do and a cheap set up that catches a good amount of fish. With a little practice you can be very accurate with that rig and once you get the speed/motion of the retrieval you will do fairly well with it. I do not use a wacky rig a lot, I mainly use it early in the season with the water cold still, normally in pre spawn conditions. I use it to try and target the fat momma fish that are hanging off of the drops offs, you can normally entice the big ones to go for a strike if it is worth it for them, so a big, fat slow worm is a nice presentation.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Here's what a few people in the right spot can do in a short amount of time.

And yes, they were tasty :D

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

Rythe posted:

Whats up fellow DFW angler, I have caught some great sized LMB out of those marines along with some fun school of sand bass for the ole fish fry.

Yeah the "marina" I fished was some half rear end floating dock pretty much cause you need a code to get on the actual marina :( I'm only in DFW till this weekend and I heard Ray Hubbard had some decent LMB. After this weekend I'll be headed back to East Texas. Talkin Lake Nacogdoches, Pinkston Reservoir, Lake Naconiche and the Angelina River. Anybody live out here or ever been to these places?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Well I finally did something I haven't done since I was 15. I managed to get a treble hook buried in me.

I took my zell pop off to put on another lure for grass fishing. I promptly hooked a good sized bass and forgot that I had set the zell pop on the side of my tackle bag (rather than in the tray like I should've...) and went on my merry way. Fast forward about 20 minutes, I reach down to move my tackle bag and hear a rattle sound and a really sharp pain. I pulled my hand up and saw that I had about half an inch of hook stuck directly in the middle of my thumb. Cue freaking out to myself for a minute or two wondering if any of the other boaters around saw this sad display and thankfully they hadn't. Finally I calm down and decide to cut the hook away from the lure because the weight really hurt, so I grab the first pair of pliers I can find (split ring ones) and try to separate the hook. Crunch, The damned pliers broke and that hurt worse than getting stuck with the hook in the first place. I decide that's not going to work so I tried to push the hook rest of the way through my thumb, it wouldn't budge.

Eventually I just said screw it and started yanking on the hook and pulling it as best I could with another pair of pliers until the barb started showing then I just gave it one more good yank and it popped right out. Of course I use my left hand to thumb my baitcaster so I threw a "mandaid" on it (electrical tape) and went back to fishing.

From the pliers to the tip of that hook was in my thumb. Yeesh. Always put'em back in the box, kids!

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 2, 2013

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I read an article that a potentially world record setting 17 lb snakehead was caught in Virginia.

Anyone catch one of these yet?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Planet X posted:

I read an article that a potentially world record setting 17 lb snakehead was caught in Virginia.

Good lord I bet that put up a fight.

I haven't caught one which is both good and bad, they look fun to catch but at the same time if you're catching them that means they're tearing up the native fish. I guess a few have been caught around here in Tennessee (the first being back in 2006) but I have yet to even see one.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Caught my new personal best this morning, 29" 9lb 11oz blue cat. Was really fun reeling it in and it sure loved to do its little roll move every time I got it near the boat. Landing it without a net was a challenge. I'm glad I had fireline crystal on the reel since the fish's lips were so abrasive it probably would have destroyed the mono I had on there until yesterday.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Planet X posted:

I live not far from where the world record fish was caught. My friend and I have put in a fair amount of fruitless effort trying to catch them in local hotspots. I've only even seen one in the water so far. For as voracious their appetite is made out to be, and as impressive as their numbers are told, I've been let down.

We throw the usual suspects - frogs, lizards, worms, crankbaits. But it's our goal to catch (and kill) at least one before the year is over.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any tips on catching trout in narrow creeks with a normal casting rod?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe
Caught my nicest smallmouth yet today.

Wasn't having much luck and then they started hitting a wacky rigged Senko. Turned into a decent afternoon. I also apparently need to buy better sunscreen. I put on a few coats and still got a bit burned.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I normally use SPF 50, rub on kind, before I hit the water and re-apply with a spray type sunscreen every hr and half or so to keep myself protected. Just wait until you get a sunburn on your inner thigh, that happened to me on one of my first kayak trips out on the water and that is a horrible pain, never wearing board shorts again in the ole kayak.

On another note a set of the SPF clothing, sold by Academy, Bass pro, etc is a worth while investment. I can handle wearing pants and long sleeve shirt in the middle of a TX summer on the water, the pants and shirt breeze really well and add another layer of sun protection, also one of those big goofy, floppy hats that have the extra cloth that comes down over your neck is really nice too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

Rythe posted:

I normally use SPF 50, rub on kind, before I hit the water and re-apply with a spray type sunscreen every hr and half or so to keep myself protected. Just wait until you get a sunburn on your inner thigh, that happened to me on one of my first kayak trips out on the water and that is a horrible pain, never wearing board shorts again in the ole kayak.

On another note a set of the SPF clothing, sold by Academy, Bass pro, etc is a worth while investment. I can handle wearing pants and long sleeve shirt in the middle of a TX summer on the water, the pants and shirt breeze really well and add another layer of sun protection, also one of those big goofy, floppy hats that have the extra cloth that comes down over your neck is really nice too.

I have spray on SPF 30(?) on the yak that I put on multiple times, I definitely need to get some good rub on to start with. I actually prefer to wear board shorts since going swimming is inevitable and it's easier to piss in a slightly more discrete manor. I'll have to look into the SPF clothing.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Anyone have any recommendations for fishing in ponds with a great deal of vegetation?

I heard tell of a nice bass spot, but I went out there today and almost none of my lures could make it through without snagging a bunch of moss or plants. The only lure that wouldn't was a weedless plastic frog, but nothing seemed to be interested in it at the time. A guy next to me was fishing with a Texas Rigged Worm and he was pulling in a salad every cast, too.

Today was the first time I've struck out since I picked up the hobby a few weeks ago, but I think it was because I was fishing with lures that were too big for Bluegills and Yellow Perch to eat, and it was too early in the day for Bass.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Water with a great deal of vegetation is very hard to fish in my experience, I have had success from two different methods and lures in most of my time fishing a lake like that. First the weedless frog/rat always worked pretty well for me in early morning sunrise conditions with a fairly calm surface the second was working a Texas rigged worm on the outskirts of the weed beds. Most of the time you can entice a fish to strike from the cover of the weeds, you have to be fast on the retrieval so they do not bury themselves to deep in the vegetation. Typically I fish from the kayak so I can find those open spots in the water, from shore it might be a bit harder but doable if you scout the body of water some.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So what do you do with your paddle when you're fishing and not paddling? Also which tackle boxes fit well in a milk crate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What do you guys look for when buying a rod? Any suggestions below 100$? I use spinning reels, normally from shore or a dock, usually lighter baits like plastics and small crank baits.

Also, how we'll does replacing treble hooks on cranks with an octopus hook work? I find the trebles are way overkill for bass and are generally a pain to remove if I don't have needle nose pliers around.