Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tarepanda posted:

Except in other countries that also have presidents, I'd imagine.

Japan has a Prime Minister and so does Great Britain, but since I live in Japan my automatic assumption is that they're talking about Abe, not about Cameron.

It helps that the United States is the only English-speaking nation with a presidential system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

It helps that the United States is the only English-speaking nation with a presidential system.

There are other Anglosphere countries that primarily run their Governments in English, that also have a Presidential System.
-Singapore
-Fiji
-South Africa

Technically even Pakistan & Zimbabwe could almost count, as English is their language used in Government.

So within those nations the term 'President' usually implies their own. But in actuality, most of the time the leaders name is used with the title President, making it clear.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

This is some sweet American exceptionalism right here.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Tiggum posted:

It feels like there's something stuck in my throat. It's not painful at all, just incredibly irritating. It's making me drink a lot of water and cough a lot. Any suggestions on possible causes, or more importantly, solutions?

Sometimes my tonsils or uvula get enlarged and kind of stick to your throat and is irritating. Could be signs of an impending sore throat I guess? If you get a flashlight and a mirror you could check it out. Lots of water should help.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Since I have no idea where this should go I figured here was the most appropriate place.

I'm looking to buy what I've always known as "mexican blankets". I'm sure all of you have seen them, they're usually of multiple colors, kinda scratchy, sometimes they have like tassels at the bottom of the blanket. Those things. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find one. I know you can get them online but if I could get it today it'd be awesome.

I've looked at the local Spanish marketplace and at a Spanish flea market type place to no avail. Does anybody have a suggestion as to where else I should look? I haven't checked out any department stores or thrift stores yet, that may be my next stop.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Is this what you are looking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serape

Are there Mexican marketplaces near you? It's the kind of thing you would find in a store that sells Mexican artesanías or any traditional clothing and trinkets.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!
You can also check new-age/import stores, they usually carry a variety of blankets and throws.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

isasphere posted:

Is this what you are looking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serape

Are there Mexican marketplaces near you? It's the kind of thing you would find in a store that sells Mexican artesanías or any traditional clothing and trinkets.

Yep, thats it. I've been to two places like that but had no luck. I've even shown the clerks pictures and asked if they knew where I could get one but they didn't know, or at least didn't say. I really wish they were easier to find, they are some pretty kick rear end blankets.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: Oh, didn't see you wanted one today.

Like, you can probably find serapes at larger department and homeware stores (think, like, Target and Bed, Bath, & Beyond kind of things).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

What does that mean? Do you mean we have a "presidential system" because we use the title President?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

What does that mean? Do you mean we have a "presidential system" because we use the title President?
Generally speaking, a President is selected independently from the Legislature, a Prime Minister is not.

So, David Cameron is the leader of the House of Commons, a member of the House of Commons (specifically, from Witney), and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (i.e. Chief Executive). The only people who technically vote for him to be Prime Minister are the members of the House of Commons, and his position there is dependent upon their continued support and his continued hold on his seat.

Barack Obama is the independently elected President of the United States. Technically, we use electors, but people check the box next to his name on the ballot; no such ballot exists in the UK (though, everyone knows that if the Tories win the majority of seats in the House of Commons, the Prime Minister will be Cameron).

Some countries have mixed systems, with both a President and Prime Minister; France is probably the most prominent example of this sort of system. There are sometimes Presidents in Parliamentary systems, too, that hold an office that is largely ceremonial; much like the Queen in the U.K.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 8, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
e:f/b

Thanatosian posted:

Generally speaking, a President is selected independently from the Legislature, a Prime Minister is not.

And some countries have both presidents and prime ministers, such as France.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

A presidential system requires that the executive branch be independent of the legislative branch, and that the leader of the executive branch is both head of state and head of government.

The wikipedia article has further explanations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_system_of_government

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
What's the difference between "acting out" and "acting up"?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
"acting up" means misbehaving and can be used for people and objects. Your kid can act up, your engine can act up, your computer can act up, the weather can act up.

"act out" is when a person (or I suppose, an animal) behaves badly, generally for attention.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

tarepanda posted:

"acting up" means misbehaving and can be used for people and objects. Your kid can act up, your engine can act up, your computer can act up, the weather can act up.

"act out" is when a person (or I suppose, an animal) behaves badly, generally for attention.

So "acting up" is the general term, and "acting out" is a specific kind of "acting up" by someone? That makes sense.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I've got this weird memory of an old commercial(?) on... Maybe PBS or something? Where they were pitting a book dictionary versus a computer dictionary. Something about where you would find a word faster. Except the computer sequence was this ridiculous, dragged out thing of slowly booting it up, putting a CD in, typing really slowly and waiting for the program to load, while some other kid just found the word in the book so the book was declared the "winner". It was pretty ridiculous but I can't seem to find it, does anybody know what I'm talking about? (Or if there's some thread for these)

The other option is that I'm misremembering and this is something from Russian TV.

Brother Jonathan posted:

So "acting up" is the general term, and "acting out" is a specific kind of "acting up" by someone? That makes sense.

"Acting out" is also only used for people/animals/others with agency (maybe some sci-fi sentient robot would count). I could say that my computer or my car engine is "acting up", but I wouldn't ever say that they're "acting out" because they're just objects. Basically, "acting out" implies misbehaving for attention willingly, whereas "acting up" is more general, e.g. maybe a kid's "acting up" (behaving in some troublesome/abnormal fashion) because they're sick.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 8, 2013

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Goddamn posted:

"Acting out" is also only used for people/animals/others with agency (maybe some sci-fi sentient robot would count). I could say that my computer or my car engine is "acting up", but I wouldn't ever say that they're "acting out" because they're just objects. Basically, "acting out" implies misbehaving for attention willingly, whereas "acting up" is more general, e.g. maybe a kid's "acting up" (behaving in some troublesome/abnormal fashion) because they're sick.

"Acting up" can also be a synonym for "flaring up," as in "my trick knee is acting up again" or "my arthritis is acting up."

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

change my name posted:

Can anyone help me learn more about these masks I bought at the flea market?

I bought the red one and the skull mask. I think the red mask is a replica of a Tibetan death mask (likely since it was only 25 bucks, but still made of wood), but I have literally no clue about the other. These are just going to be props for a play I'm staging, but it'd be nice to know about their cultural background.

This is an interesting piece. Looks like fourth- or fifth-century Scandinavian.
Possibly a representation of one of the Norse night gods, maybe Loki.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Dominos ads have started being in spanish for me, is there a way to change this or is it happening to anyone else?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
On your television or are the ads being beamed into your head?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

El_Elegante posted:

On your television or are the ads being beamed into your head?

... my first thought was in his browser.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I'd hate to live in your world.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Manslaughter posted:

The Dominos ads have started being in spanish for me, is there a way to change this or is it happening to anyone else?

YouTube and Pandora are like 50/50 Spanish/English for me. Whatever you're getting the ads on, do you consume Spanish media?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Have you been browsing any Fanta related websites lately?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tiggum posted:

It feels like there's something stuck in my throat. It's not painful at all, just incredibly irritating. It's making me drink a lot of water and cough a lot. Any suggestions on possible causes, or more importantly, solutions?

Probably not, but have you looked up tonsiloliths?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wrong thread!

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 9, 2013

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Santheb posted:

Yep, thats it. I've been to two places like that but had no luck. I've even shown the clerks pictures and asked if they knew where I could get one but they didn't know, or at least didn't say. I really wish they were easier to find, they are some pretty kick rear end blankets.

If you live near a highway, truck stops often sell these, as well as pullovers made from the same material.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Probably not, but have you looked up tonsiloliths?

It seems to have come good on its own, so I'm guessing it was just a slight injury or something.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Where can I do large format scanning that isn't stupidly expensive? I just want to scan some newspaper articles that won't fit in my home scanner, but the only place I can find that does it is FedEx Kinko's, where they charge $3.99(!) per square foot. That seems outrageously expensive for a process that depletes zero resources, requires zero staff support and takes less than five minutes.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

tvb posted:

Where can I do large format scanning that isn't stupidly expensive? I just want to scan some newspaper articles that won't fit in my home scanner, but the only place I can find that does it is FedEx Kinko's, where they charge $3.99(!) per square foot. That seems outrageously expensive for a process that depletes zero resources, requires zero staff support and takes less than five minutes.

A decent digital camera in a fixed position and good lighting has worked well for me. For photos I think it's better, but I have a cheap AIO printer/scanner.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
How was a year first measured? Star movement?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I read an article in a science journal that explained why zebras never evolved gatling guns, even though such an adaptation would be a great defense against lions. It talked about exapation, saying that a complex adaptation must arise from a series of simpler, useful adaptations. I think they forgot to mention that miniguns use materials that are not really available to living organisms.

Correct me if my reasoning is wrong:

Silver and copper wires are the best conductors of electricity. But wires are solid metal and are not made of cells, so I don't see how a living organism could grow a copper wire. Can an organism ever grow anything that conducts electricity with the same efficiency as solid copper? If not, then there are a whole bunch of human technologies that living tissue could never duplicate.

Am I on the right track, here?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 9, 2013

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uberwekkness posted:

The sun, most likely. People noticed that the sun would return to rise/set over a specific point (as seen from a specific point) each year, and that was seen as significant.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

uberwekkness posted:

Most probably the sun. Humans have been measuring the sun's movements since prehistory. Stonehenge was built to project shafts of light upon specific locations during the solstices (or something like that).

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Is it the same at the equator? I was about to apologize for stupid questions, but I guess this is the place to take 'em.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Any little question that can't be answered with Google can be asked here.

I think it should be the same at the equator as anywhere. The earth's axis is tilted, so the equator isn't always aligned with the sun. Ancient Indian and Mayan astronomers charted the Sun's movements.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I read an article in a science journal that explained why zebras never evolved gatling guns, even though such an adaptation would be a great defense against lions. It talked about exapation, saying that a complex adaptation must arise from a series of simpler, useful adaptations. I think they forgot to mention that miniguns use materials that are not really available to living organisms.

Correct me if my reasoning is wrong:

Silver and copper wires are the best conductors of electricity. But wires are solid metal and are not made of cells, so I don't see how a living organism could grow a copper wire. Can an organism ever grow anything that conducts electricity with the same efficiency as solid copper? If not, then there are a whole bunch of human technologies that living tissue could never duplicate.

Am I on the right track, here?

Wires as we know them are pretty unlikely to ever be developed by a living organism, mostly because they are an inefficient use of a rare-ish material. But wires as a concept, something that transmits electrical signals, have evolved. Every animal larger than a few cells has them, we just call them nerves.

Additionally, there are animals like eels that can use electricity to attack other creatures. There are even some animals like Pistol Shrimp that have evolved a close analog to a gun to hunt with.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I think, however, that the combustion of a gun is the aspect of the weapon that living tissues could not feasibly replicate due to the destruction of cells/denaturing of proteins that happens at high temperatures. So heat will be your limiting factor in the evolution of zebra gatling guns, not conductivity, because as Xenoborg said: we already conduct electric signals through our nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is putting an ice block in front of a fan an actual, decent way to cool down a room without A/C?